• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel" - TotK

StueyDuck

Yeah, having beaten 3 of them this is entirely false.

They aren't that big, and built around the design philosophies of the Divine Beasts (relatively open spaces where you have to activate 5 terminals in any order) but are worse than them because they don't share that clever central mechanic of being able to manipulate the entire dungeon using the Sheikah Slate / Purah Pad. If you're looking for a linear dungeon filled with puzzles, small keys, boss keys, and a dungeon item - too bad. If you want big open spaces where you can climb / glide past most puzzles - then these dungeons are for you.

As to OCL - the Wind Temple is the worst one lol, it really is pathetic.
Fuck reading this killed my little bit of hype I had and I have very little hype to begin with

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, having beaten 3 of them this is entirely false.

They aren't that big, and built around the design philosophies of the Divine Beasts (relatively open spaces where you have to activate 5 terminals in any order) but are worse than them because they don't share that clever central mechanic of being able to manipulate the entire dungeon using the Sheikah Slate / Purah Pad. If you're looking for a linear dungeon filled with puzzles, small keys, boss keys, and a dungeon item - too bad. If you want big open spaces where you can climb / glide past most puzzles - then these dungeons are for you.

As to OCL - the Wind Temple is the worst one lol, it really is pathetic.

Yea, these dungeons actually give the player multiple ways to complete them. That is why they are far better than the more linear, single minded approach of the past.

kunonabi

Considering Twilight Princess has the best dungeons, it's clearly a difficult thing to repeat.
SS and St had dungeons on par, sometimes even better, so they can do it.

I hated BotW's divine beasts more than anyone but I'm willing to give them a bit of pass since the game had to be gutted to work for the switch and game pad was probably a huge part of the original dungeon design. Hell, the divine beasts as they are make a lot more sense with basic dualscreen functionality. TotK won't have that excuse so if they botch it again then they it's probably just a matter of them not caring about dungeons anymore. The weird thing that gets overlooked in all this is the fact that dungeons don't need to follow the alttp/oot models so they could try something completely different and new if they really wanted.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

The dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel​

7211357-1118427363-hqdef.jpg

Termite

I just want to pop back in here now that I've beaten the another dungeon, as it was by far the best, lol, and did in fact remind me of a proper Zelda dungeon.

So there IS one good dungeon! I'm glad I saved the best for last.

Number of dungeons spoilers:
On the other hand, the game announcing that you've arrived at a hidden 5th temple only for it to NOT actually be a dungeon, but just a boss fight - that's just cruel.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just want to pop back in here now that I've beaten the 4th (last) dungeon, as it was by far the best, lol, and did in fact remind me of a proper Zelda dungeon.

So there IS one good dungeon! I'm glad I saved the best for last.

On the other hand, the game announcing that you've arrived at a hidden 5th temple only for it to NOT actually be a dungeon, but just a boss fight - that's just cruel.
Um this isn't the spoilers thread, what are you trying to do here?

Top Bottom