• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls 6: Several Job Listings Hint At Multiplayer Mode

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tech4Gamers noticed that Bethesda Game Studios is currently hiring an Associate Level Designer, and the job listing points to a potential multiplayer component for Elder Scrolls 6. One of the qualifications for the listing states:

“YOU HAVE STRONG FAMILIARITY WITH A VARIETY OF OPEN WORLD MULTIPLAYER GAMES.”
The Elder Scrolls 6 Multiplayer Associate Level Designer

The listing further asks for experience with The Elder Scrolls Construction Set. The Elder Scrolls 6 is currently in development, and the development team may be contemplating various mechanics and gameplay design ideas for the game.

One of these might be a multiplayer component. The Elder Scrolls games have been focused primarily on single-player gameplay. However, the franchise has also introduced a dedicated multiplayer game with Elder Scrolls Online.

However, it should be noted that the job ad is hiring in Rockville. Zenimax Online leads the Elder Scrolls Online development in Hunt Valley. This should mean that this listing is unlikely to refer to Elder Scrolls Online.

Furthermore, we found another job listing for Associate Level Designer at Bethesda Game Studios in Montreal, QC, which also asks for multiplayer experience.

The Elder Scrolls 6 Multiplayer Associate Level Designer

Having 2 or 3 'followers' being your friends with appropriate difficulty scaling would be bad-ass. Imagine some contrivance (a magic macguffin weightless item) that generates a random NPC almost like Pawns from Dragon's Dogma, but they're appropriately leveled companions with skill archetypes the joining player chooses. Sword & board, two handed, archer, thief, mage, assassin, etc. Just make sure that your buddies are joining your game, have any items they pick up whisked away into the host player's inventory when they leave, etc.

Far Cry has done single player with optional co-op well for years.

Mozzarella

Why are game developers and publishers so detached from their core gamers? (especially in NA)
I wouldn't piss off my core cutsomers just for chasing some dollars in a small period. Yeah you may sell more copies for a small period of time, but later you will regret it as you would lose your core and faithful customers after you ditched them, and the wider audience you tried to chase will not hesitate to leave you behind once a slightly better competition comes in, and its very easy for that to happen if you do follow popular trends.
Bethesda and Zenimax in particular have to be among the worst management in vidya.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Some of you people are pessimistic to the point of being insufferable. Unless of course it's just a case of, "It's MS, therefore it's bad by default."

"It's MS, there it's good by default" is no better. The mainline Elder Scrolls has always excelled as a single player game. Not wanting Bethesda to switch their focus to multiplayer is perfectly understandable.

I really wonder why they would add multiplayer to it when they already have ESO. Maybe a co op mode with some friends might be fun, but I don't really see how multiplayer would add much to the world.
Let’s be brutally honest with ourselves Smiggy boy, ESO is dogshit and nowhere near in excellence to WOW. They keep supporting the game with so much content, but the core gameplay loop is unengaging in my opinion. Then again I’ve only ever played around 100 hours and often by myself doing quests.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I really think the mod should be like Animal Crossing, you can invite a friend to your world and they can go with you on quests or go after some hard monster…etx

Laptop1991

I hope not, MP always ruins SP, just look at GTA 5, TES is the last games that need it as a main feature, leave it to the modders to add it in, they will turn it into a gaas with stores and mtx, terrible idea, I'm totally against it

Saber

Gold Member
I really wonder why they would add multiplayer to it when they already have ESO. Maybe a co op mode with some friends might be fun, but I don't really see how multiplayer would add much to the world.

Maybe it took inspiration out of it. Perhaps more focused on a coop aspect. Not necessarally a MMO, but one that already designed to be multiplayer.

It's got to be a Type-O. Someone typed 'Openworld' and their fingers just automatically typed the 'Multiplayer' part by accident.
Copium smells nice this morning.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not surprising.
One of the biggest IP
Turn it into mobile game/GaaS = profit.

Microsoft knew this.

Sanepar

Why everything from MS needs to have COOP, MP, or be a GAAS? I don't understand why triple A there can't be a single player only experience.

Top Bottom