• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah I've noticed I don't even really have to dodge or block anything and my health practically stays at 95% in a 1v1. Couldn't figure out of that was some serious low level handholding though.

After you finish the main quest what else is there to do besides sidequests? I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like FF14 or WoW where there is grinding or if it's mostly just a game where you ride out the main quest then come back when content releases.

i'm not sure exactly what the end game is. i've just focused on the main stories for vanilla/morrowind and now doing side quests. i guess most people just focus on a profession and do that. i'm not too into crafting stuff and just happy to play for the story in main/side quests.

Redshirt

Banned
The pre-50 scaling is not ideal IMO. The overland game can definitely feel too easy for an experienced gamer.

There can be a rude awakening at ~45 for new players, but that can be offset with the right gear and builds.

So I've had this game for a while now and I haven't really played much at all.

Just wondering, what is the hook of this game?

Is it more like a SP game with MMO elements? Any raids or anything that is difficult content or is it more just a SP story and that's all? (not that it would be a bad thing)

There are 12-man raids, which ESO calls trials, as well as 4-man dungeons and a solo arena.

Veteran trials, dungeons, which can have a hard mode too, and the arena can be quite difficult and require knowledge and coordination.

There are PvE delves and quests in Cyrodiil (the PvP zone) as well as Imperial City, a PvE/PvP hybrid zone.

The combat is not what it seems at face value. The various forms of animation canceling are why some casuals struggle to reach 15K dps (the recommendation for veteran) and core players are at 30K dps or higher.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not sure about the bank space. But for the crafting bag, you may continue to draw materials from it even after the sub expires, you simply won't be able to add to it. I would imagine that the extra vault space works similarly.
Everything stays in both you just can't deposit any more.

All right, cool!

to be fair i'm only using the bank for mats

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
personally i found the main quest (not morrowind) really easy. took me about 25 hours. it never got harder and even the final boss fight wasn't difficult. i think it's because they have enemies scale with you now so you're not really too weak/powerful. i think you used to have to be at lvl 50 to progress the story but i was nowhere near that by the end.

morrowind i found more challenging though but it is a lot shorter.

Yeah, I gave up after 6 hours once I realized the game was completely braindead with no need for strategy, to take risks, or feel any sort of accomplishment other than reading new copy from quest givers.

I'm assuming the expansion is the same way?

dubq

i'm not sure exactly what the end game is. i've just focused on the main stories for vanilla/morrowind and now doing side quests. i guess most people just focus on a profession and do that. i'm not too into crafting stuff and just happy to play for the story in main/side quests.

End game are the dungeons, trials, maelstrom arena, a good chunk of Craglorn, etc.

And though the game does scale with your level, it still provides a challenge once you get past the low level stuff. There've been many times that I've been two-shotted by an enemy boss in a delve that was scaled to my level. It's all about strategy, ability rotation, etc.

Stevey

BizzyBum

The one thing I wish this game was more of even though I like the game is that it's not sandbox-y enough for a franchise that is defined by its sandbox nature. I can only assume ZOS played it a bit safe in that regard and of course it would have drove up development time and cost, so they opted for zones but made them large enough to feel open. However, this means the end game is not as diverse as say, Black Desert Online. You really only have a themepark endgame where you run group dungeons and trials to get BIS (best in slot) gear or PvP. With the DLC there's a little more to do like the solo PvE Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium and the 4v4v4 arena PvP in Morrowind called Battlegrounds. Depending how hardcore you are you can also try to top the leaderboards for these things and get all the achievements in the game which would take ages.

With BDO being sandbox, the end game is really whatever you want. Questing, PvP, fishing, crafting, hunting, farming, etc. I think my perfect game would be the sandbox world of BDO but with an Elder Scrolls coating.

Redshirt

Banned
The PvE end game in a traditional sense is so bad on BDO, though.

I wouldn't mind if ZOS added more of the sandbox stuff, but that second life aspect isn't what draws me to an MMO.

adversarial

The one thing I wish this game was more of even though I like the game is that it's not sandbox-y enough for a franchise that is defined by its sandbox nature. I can only assume ZOS played it a bit safe in that regard and of course it would have drove up development time and cost, so they opted for zones but made them large enough to feel open. However, this means the end game is not as diverse as say, Black Desert Online. You really only have a themepark endgame where you run group dungeons and trials to get BIS (best in slot) gear or PvP. With the DLC there's a little more to do like the solo PvE Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium and the 4v4v4 arena PvP in Morrowind called Battlegrounds. Depending how hardcore you are you can also try to top the leaderboards for these things and get all the achievements in the game which would take ages.

With BDO being sandbox, the end game is really whatever you want. Questing, PvP, fishing, crafting, hunting, farming, etc. I think my perfect game would be the sandbox world of BDO but with an Elder Scrolls coating.

I always thought that was insane. The dedication it must take to level a character to max level and then just... farm, or craft stuff, or sell stuff on the auction house. I never understood that. Not knocking it, I mean, if you dig it, go for it. I just always needed a sense of "doing this for a reason" (raiding, pvp for ranks, etc.)

Maybesew

I hit 50 on my first character (healer) over the long weekend. Started running the dungeons for the undaunted pledges, but got a little burnt out. Decided to level up my dual wield warden for fun, but the long queue times for dungeons bummed me out so i re-specced him to be a tank.

I've tanked in every other mmo i've played, but haven't quite got the hang of it in ESO. im not sure if it's because my character is in the awkward stage at level 16 where i dont have many skills, or just the action aspect of having to actually block certain attacks, or what, but it feels really awkward. I did successfully tank banished cells 2 this morning which i thought was a decent accomplishment for how hard some of those bosses can be.

Redshirt

Banned
I hit 50 on my first character (healer) over the long weekend. Started running the dungeons for the undaunted pledges, but got a little burnt out. Decided to level up my dual wield warden for fun, but the long queue times for dungeons bummed me out so i re-specced him to be a tank.

I've tanked in every other mmo i've played, but haven't quite got the hang of it in ESO. im not sure if it's because my character is in the awkward stage at level 16 where i dont have many skills, or just the action aspect of having to actually block certain attacks, or what, but it feels really awkward. I did successfully tank banished cells 2 this morning which i thought was a decent accomplishment for how hard some of those bosses can be.

Queuing as DPS blows. I'd consider joining an active PvE guild for that.

As for tanking, you may want to check out the videos Woeler (well-regarded trial tank) did with Deltia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Dpt-8yM7Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2dhes-ZXc

He has also has a website where you can check out his Warden build and other resources:

https://woeler.eu/

What should I do so I can take the most from these free ESO+ days? I'm not plus and I'm not paying to be, crowns, plus and DLCs are REALLY expensive in Brazil, so I want to know what I can do to take profit from these free days :)

Picked up the Gold edition of the game this weekend and I'm really enjoying it so far. Plan on playing pretty casually, but would love to get an invite into the PS4 guild. I put my info in the spreadsheet.

Redshirt

Banned
What should I do so I can take the most from these free ESO+ days? I'm not plus and I'm not paying to be, crowns, plus and DLCs are REALLY expensive in Brazil, so I want to know what I can do to take profit from these free days :)

If you have a character good in stealth, then you can make good money in Hew's Bane (Thieves' Guild DLC).

If you're comfortable in PvP, you can farm Telvar stones and make money and equipment that way in the Imperial City.

If you just want to have fun, then I suggest Wrothgar, which has really good story.

Also, maybe get a taste of the DLC dungeons.

aidanphantom

Neo Member

Get the easy to obtain collectibles from the DLC, you get a personality for visiting Gold Coast for the first time, pet for going to Abah's Landing, costume for joining Thieves Guild (just one quest to do that) & another pet for doing the first quest for Orsinium. They'll all be account-bound afterwards IIRC.

Also farm for materials as much possible, cos even when plus ends you'll still be able to withdraw stuff from the craft bag, just not deposit.

You could also have a look at different sets available via the DLC and farm those via the dailies or world bosses & delves.

Neverfade

Is there a decent tutorial somewhere to get some bearings? Maybe I'm just too early on, but I've found what the game has 'taught' me so far to be pretty insufficient. I'm not an MMO newbie so I know how to slot abilities and shit. I want to know more about builds and what I should be striving for. I rolled a few characters and they all start with a greatsword? Do what? What should I be morphing? When should I be morphing?Etc etc.

aidanphantom

Neo Member
deltaisgaming has build guides that include what to do whilst levelling up (skills, morphs, champion points), not just endgame stuff.

What class are you playing as?

Neverfade

deltaisgaming has build guides that include what to do whilst levelling up (skills, morphs, champion points), not just endgame stuff.

What class are you playing as?

I'm an Orc Templar.

I'll check out your recommendation.

Edit: Hmm, my first thought was to go with a stamina build. Looking at that site, perhaps not the best choice? There's not even a stamina templar leveling build listed.

Redshirt

Banned
Edit: Hmm, my first thought was to go with a stamina build. Looking at that site, perhaps not the best choice? There's not even a stamina templar leveling build listed.

I wouldn't recommend stamina Templar for a new player. It's kind of a niche right now, but here's one:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-templar-build-pve/

I think magicka is better because it's versatile and can transition between best healer and very good DPS.

Here's a build similar to what I use. Deltia runs something similar as well called Omega.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/

Is there a demo / trial for this game?

There was a trial recently but not currently afaik.

Enclose

Did they fix the shitty CPU Multicore Optimization? The Reason i stopped playing this a year ago. Would want to come back with some friends but i dont know if this is fixed already.

Redshirt

Banned
So if I wanted to switch to Magicka am I screwed in the wasted points department or can I respec those?

You can respect attribute points, skill points and morphs anytime. It costs gold, but it's cheap at low level.

The respec shrines are in the major cities in each faction: Elden Root, Wayrest and Mournhold.

_Ph03n1x_

I just started playing this on PC a couple weeks ago and I'm still noobing around as a destruction magic mage. But I am loving my time in Morrowind right now.

Any suggestions on recommended add-ons? I'm mainly doing PvE right now. I have AUI and Skyshards installed right now.

BizzyBum

I wouldn't even worry about proper builds and whatnot starting out. Just try to level everything. Your skills level up as long as they are on the hotbar. Once you get to level 15 and can swap hotbars put another 5 + Ultimate. Wear a mix of light, medium, and heavy armor all at once to level all three. Use one weapon to 50, then switch it out for the next until they are all maxed. Sell stolen goods to fences and pick locks to level up legerdemain. Don't worry about gear until you hit the gear cap which is 160 CP. Until then just wear stuff you find from loot and quest rewards, and deconstruct the other armor to level up your crafting instead of selling them for gold. Start researching traits immediately as it takes a long ass time near the end.

Everything in the game can be respecced for in-game gold so don't freak and get anxiety over spending points and using a wrong build. This game throws so many skill points at you that by the end you'll have too many.

Any suggestions on recommended add-ons? I'm mainly doing PvE right now. I have AUI and Skyshards installed right now.

I also use LoreBooks and Awesome Guild Store. Reading the purple glow books levels up Mages Guild and the guild store allows you to search stuff by name so much quicker to view a certain item you may need. Also works for your inventory.

Neverfade

You can respect attribute points, skill points and morphs anytime. It costs gold, but it's cheap at low level.

The respec shrines are in the major cities in each faction: Elden Root, Wayrest and Mournhold.

I'll try to find my way there.

Some additional inquiries:

1 - Where should most of my items be coming from while leveling? Quest rewards? Finding them? Making them?
2 - I'm trying to get the mod Minimap by Fyrakin working. From what I can gather I might need some additional files to get it working with Morrowind. Anyone have any pointers?
3 - Is there a mod that helps find resource nodes on the map? As a long time WOW player its kinda mind blowing that they don't seem to glow/sparkle. EDIT: I see now there are related skills for this.

If you have a character good in stealth, then you can make good money in Hew's Bane (Thieves' Guild DLC).

If you're comfortable in PvP, you can farm Telvar stones and make money and equipment that way in the Imperial City.

If you just want to have fun, then I suggest Wrothgar, which has really good story.

Also, maybe get a taste of the DLC dungeons.

Get the easy to obtain collectibles from the DLC, you get a personality for visiting Gold Coast for the first time, pet for going to Abah's Landing, costume for joining Thieves Guild (just one quest to do that) & another pet for doing the first quest for Orsinium. They'll all be account-bound afterwards IIRC.

Also farm for materials as much possible, cos even when plus ends you'll still be able to withdraw stuff from the craft bag, just not deposit.

You could also have a look at different sets available via the DLC and farm those via the dailies or world bosses & delves.

Thanks a lot!!! Will look forward to all of these :)

_Ph03n1x_

I wouldn't even worry about proper builds and whatnot starting out. Just try to level everything. Your skills level up as long as they are on the hotbar. Once you get to level 15 and can swap hotbars put another 5 + Ultimate. Wear a mix of light, medium, and heavy armor all at once to level all three. Use one weapon to 50, then switch it out for the next until they are all maxed. Sell stolen goods to fences and pick locks to level up legerdemain. Don't worry about gear until you hit the gear cap which is 160 CP. Until then just wear stuff you find from loot and quest rewards, and deconstruct the other armor to level up your crafting instead of selling them for gold. Start researching traits immediately as it takes a long ass time near the end.

Everything in the game can be respecced for in-game gold so don't freak and get anxiety over spending points and using a wrong build. This game throws so many skill points at you that by the end you'll have too many.

I also use LoreBooks and Awesome Guild Store. Reading the purple glow books levels up Mages Guild and the guild store allows you to search stuff by name so much quicker to view a certain item you may need. Also works for your inventory.

Thanks for the suggestions. These add-ons are pretty cool.

Redshirt

Banned
I'll try to find my way there.

Some additional inquiries:

1 - Where should most of my items be coming from while leveling? Quest rewards? Finding them? Making them?
2 - I'm trying to get the mod Minimap by Fyrakin working. From what I can gather I might need some additional files to get it working with Morrowind. Anyone have any pointers?
3 - Is there a mod that helps find resource nodes on the map? As a long time WOW player its kinda mind blowing that they don't seem to glow/sparkle. EDIT: I see now there are related skills for this.

Gear isn't hugely important at low level, but experienced players will used crafted gear that helps with resource management and has the training perk on it.

If you get in a newbie-friendly guild, it's easy to get crafted gear because it's pretty cheap to make low-level gear.

No experience with that mod. I don't usually use a minimap, and when I do, it's Votans.

HarvestMap

It can be a performance killer depending on your rig, so only use it when farming and definitely use the filters to zero in on targets rather than everything.

Maybesew

Does anyone know how to type in "zone" chat on PS4? I've looked around the social / text chat menus and can't figure it out for hte life of me.

edit: do you get xp for doing the alliance war pvp? or just some other kind of progression

Taker34

Banned
Does anyone know how to type in "zone" chat on PS4? I've looked around the social / text chat menus and can't figure it out for hte life of me.

First, it's worth noting that text chat is off by default, and can be enabled a few different ways. If you already have a keyboard connected, you can simply press Enter to open the text chat HUD. Alternatively, you can press the Options button and then Square. Zone chat is being accessed by typing /zone for example or choosing it on the left of the chat window (a small menu will open up).
You can also go to the Social settings menu to turn the HUD chat display on (and you'll find options to change the text size and profanity filter here, too!).

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/4y50p0/ps4_text_chat_tutorial/
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/08/10/update-11-guide-text-chat-on-consoles

Maybesew

First, it's worth noting that text chat is off by default, and can be enabled a few different ways. If you already have a keyboard connected, you can simply press Enter to open the text chat HUD. Alternatively, you can press the Options button and then Square. Zone chat is being accessed by typing /zone for example or choosing it on the left of the chat window (a small menu will open up).
You can also go to the Social settings menu to turn the HUD chat display on (and you'll find options to change the text size and profanity filter here, too!).

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/4y50p0/ps4_text_chat_tutorial/
http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/08/10/update-11-guide-text-chat-on-consoles

weird, so people are using keyboards on PS4. I figured out how to read chat and zone chat, just couldnt figure out how to do anything other than "say"

dubq

Another way to bring up the chat HUD on PS4 is pressing the touchpad and options at the same time.. this brings up the on-screen window and brings you right into the text entry prompt.

Maybesew

Another way to bring up the chat HUD on PS4 is pressing the touchpad and options at the same time.. this brings up the on-screen window and brings you right into the text entry prompt.

Yeah, i've been able to get that, but can't change the channel from say to zone

dubq

Yeah, i've been able to get that, but can't change the channel from say to zone

It should just be /zone to do that. You can even type /zone your-text-here and it will send that message to the zone. I think /z works as well.

That being said, the easiest way to do this is options, then square, then press left on the dpad where it has "say" and you can click X on that and select zones, guilds, group, etc from that list.

How's the Warden's ice tree? I love the class concept. I originally wanted the bear but I hate the aesthetic of 'summon brief animals', sad it's locked in that tree.
Warden's Winter Embrace tree is all tank focused--think buff armor, shield buffs. One exception being the winters revenge which is a AOE ice field that damages enemy's. Passives focus on around some of that, with the exception of 2 of them.

Permafrost is good for PVP. Damage and stuns on 3rd tick. Applies major protection to the group as well.

Got this in an xbone sale as nostalgic for Morrowind. Very MMOey with some rote nonsense every 10 seconds, but i like the effort put into the world and lore, and tough fights have something about them that is appealing.

Need a guild now!

Redshirt

Banned
is there a site somewhere that tells you what undaunted rewards come out of which chests?

Cheat sheet:

GH14uzA.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lol they'll never sell crafting bag as a separate thing I take it? because that's a massive boon for plus players

BizzyBum

Got this in an xbone sale as nostalgic for Morrowind. Very MMOey with some rote nonsense every 10 seconds, but i like the effort put into the world and lore, and tough fights have something about them that is appealing.

I think the great thing about this game is how chill it is. I wager most people treat it like Skyrim Online. They log in, do quests, and explore and not really deal with other people. The fact the game accommodates this is awesome. There's no rush or pressure to do anything in this game because the zones now scale to you so you can do whatever content you want in any order now. I also like how simplistic the UI is just like regular TES games. When I first started BDO I was bombarded with a thousand different UI elements and it's extremely overwhelming. The simplicity here is key.

I agree with the world and lore bit. If you explore and take time to notice the world you can tell Zenimax put a lot of effort into creating Tamriel, they don't get enough credit for the job they did. For a 2014 MMO it looks beautiful maxed out at times on PC. It has its share of low res crap but the lighting and shadows look amazing.

lol they'll never sell crafting bag as a separate thing I take it? because that's a massive boon for plus players

Yeah, never. It's the sole reason many people sub. lol

Completed Morrowind a few days ago, that was pretty disappointing. It felt like a regular zone but simply more refined and with a bit better writing. Don't really see how this qualifies as a 39.99$ expansion.

I liked the two long side quest chains though.

Top Bottom