• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls VI Is still in Pre-Production According To Bethesda Game Studios Profile

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Too easy.
EDruban.jpg

But seriously, most large studios regardless of platform are able to work on multiple titles simultaneously.
You do realise that both Starfield and TES VI are much larger in scope than either of those. And Bethesda Game Studios is roughly the same size as Insomniac(yeah look up how big Bethesda is).

Bogeyman

Banned
One thing that baffles me is.. Why did they start developing stsrfield in the first place?

You're sitting on one of the most valuable franchises in the entire gaming industry. Your firm doesn't have the resources to develop multiple products at once. So why then would you actually kick of an entirely new franchise, whose success you can't really judge yet (but will almost certainly not surpass TES) - and wait 15+ years to actually cash in again on your main franchise because of it!?

oldergamer

Bethesda Studios has 420 people as of March 2021. Insomniac around 400. So they are pretty close in size.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
One thing that baffles me is.. Why did they start developing stsrfield in the first place?

Because it was their dream for a long time to make it and this was their perfect opportunity. It was now or never.
I've Googled to find you where he said it.

the fact that there is no alternate to main line elder scroll games on any system baffles me , this is gonna be a long wait

I think it's telling that for all the success (and hate) that Bethesda has had, they don't have any real successful mimics out there. Sure they've got their issues and bugs, but they also deliver a unique take on the genre that is apparently difficult to replicate. In an industry that thrives on copy/paste oftentimes, it's default praise to Bethesda.

Mattyp

Gold Member

You're sitting on one of the most valuable franchises in the entire gaming industry. Your firm doesn't have the resources to develop multiple products at once. So why then would you actually kick of an entirely new franchise, whose success you can't really judge yet (but will almost certainly not surpass TES) - and wait 15+ years to actually cash in again on your main franchise because of it!?

That wanted to do something new?

See Naughty Dog and TLoU.

Or any number of studios, this is how you keep things fresh. And with games this scope in size (largest games out there) it would be refreshing to do something new.

They’ll come at ES6 with vengeance now and a million fresh ideas they’ve been coming up with this entire time along with improvements.

Lone Wolf

Because some of us would like a new IP every once in a while instead of God of War 10, Ratchet and Clank 17 and Halo 23.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Bethesda games have 100's of hours of gameplay, story, writing, etc. How can you compare them to two games that can both be completed in under 10 hours? They are not comparable in size.
I never compared the games. I was asked which studio works on multiple projects simultaneously and I gave an answer. The picture only serves to identify the studio behind them (Insomniac). I'm not interested in comparing the types of games from each studio.

Myths

The biggest games are going to be take
The next several years before anything major is revealed. It’s already been over half a decade for a few big franchises, over a decade for others. They’ll have to last nearly twice as long as it takes to develop games, which is why it’s important to make sure the platform is future proof.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You are being disingenuous; I do work in M&A, but I made it abundantly clear that I am not in the gaming industry. This is from the same thread:

If you choose not to have conversations in earnest then please avoid engaging with me. It's not worth the time or effort for either of us.
Don' try to argue with ManaByte ManaByte . He's wrong half the time, and when you prove him wrong, he just disappears from the conversation.

VN1X

Banned
Of course it's in the pre-production as they're producing starfield. Once starfield is done tes vi will be in production. As simple as that.
Yeah not sure why this is even news to some. They haven't even put their massive next new title out the door.

You won't see TESVI for many more years. 2026 at the earliest?

Bogeyman

Banned
I think it's telling that for all the success (and hate) that Bethesda has had, they don't have any real successful mimics out there. Sure they've got their issues and bugs, but they also deliver a unique take on the genre that is apparently difficult to replicate. In an industry that thrives on copy/paste oftentimes, it's default praise to Bethesda.

Very Interesting. In particular the fact they can make such a decision, in spite of what I'd assume is a strong economic incentive/pressure not to.

I very certainly respect (and as a player - at least generally speaking - appreciate) a studio's effort to keep it fresh of course though! Nothing worse than "fifa 127, now with an even rounder ball "

MrFunSocks

Banned
I never compared the games. I was asked which studio works on multiple projects simultaneously and I gave an answer. The picture only serves to identify the studio behind them (Insomniac). I'm not interested in comparing the types of games from each studio.
Insomniac have 2 separate and distinct teams making different games. Bethesda game studios clearly don’t as they’re only making Starfield.

Starfield is a significantly bigger game than both of the insomniac games combined, hence why they only have a single team.

It's called 'vaporware' :

"software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed."
By that train of thought God of War Ragnarok is vaporware too. So is Starfield. That’s not what vaporware is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who would make Fallout 5 though...

Obsidian?
I dont know.

But F4 wasnt that bad IMO. It just needed a bit more variety in gameplay (aside from crafting, it was the same shit you find lying around) and for the console release needed to be 60 fps to make it look and play better.

Playing F4 on Series X is like night and day. Anyone with Series X who didnt like it's sluggigh play on Xbox One should give it a try.

F5 at 60 fps would be amazing.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Companies like insomniac have hard distinctions of teams and are structured to be one brand but multiple teams, multiple AAA projects. Insomniac has been explicitly a multi team multi AAA project studio for a while that’s geographic seperated too similar to how bioware had a bioware Austin and bioware whatever all ultimately run by the same honcho under same brand. Studios that essentially have one big team to do a single AAA game and who get some people start a bit of work on next project (because planners don’t do coding) hardly ever give release windows for the next game. It’s one team overlapping projects to be efficient. It’s not incompetence, its just different numbers of teams flying under the same banner. Spider-Man and Ratchet have different game directors and whatever undernaearh working on the projects seperately whereas Todd Howard is game director for all AAA games under the BHS banner and it’s the same people working on every AAA game.
I have no problem with different studios utilizing different approaches in creating timelines for talent allocation. They should do what works best for them.

However, if Bethesda's dev strategy is more or less focusing all resources on one project before allocating people towards a subsequent release that's further along in the future, then their marketing strategy is a head scratcher and doesn't align with the chosen dev strategy. Why release an ESVI announcement trailer in 2018 while you are in early-mid production phase of Starfield? The development and marketing strategies by themselves are fine, but combination of the two doesn't make much sense to me.

Swift_Star

Banned

Because they want to work on something new. Same reason square develops new rpgs beyond final fantasy and kingdom hearts

Elysion

Banned
Honestly, I blame Fallout 76. I have no idea why Bethesda thought they needed to do another Fallout game right after Fallout 4. They should’ve started working on Starfield full-time right after Fallout 4 in 2015; if they’d done so we’d all have played Starfield already, because it would’ve been a (multi-platform) release in 2019, and TES 6 would be expected to release next year (assuming 4-year dev cycles for both Starfield and TES6).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is the wrong take.

You make multiple IPs and then assign different studios to develop on it alternately.

That's like asking why Naughty Dogs bothered making TLoU when they had Uncharted.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I don't know much about the studio in question, but the ones I've worked for in the past usually handle development in phases and the pre-production phase was a different subset of creative individuals in the studio. Concept artists, designers and writers vs modelers, developers and testers for the later stages of production. Even one team can work on two products if Starfield is as far along as has been previously claimed.
Yeah we're of the same understanding in regards to what pre-production means I think. But for mass development, I guess they need more man power than just the key staff who iron out the vision of the title and much of that is on Starfield? It sounds like Todd Howard's team just move game to game with how they sit on it like this.

Andodalf

Banned
Yeah, it’s kind of strange that despite open world games being so abundant these days, the most successful open world rpg of all time has no real copycats. That’s the one instance where I wish the industry actually was a bit more derivative, lol. Where’s Ubisoft when we need them?
Nobody has the engine to do it. Bethesda made an engine to do what nobody else was doing in their games, and even with time and experience it’s still held together with string. Making a copycat would take a decade

fermcr

Todd Howard has said several times that Elder Scrolls 6 is still years away. Don't know why people keep insisting it's getting released soon...

Denial much!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Todd Howard has said several times that Elder Scrolls 6 is still years away. Don't know why people keep insisting it's getting released soon...

Denial much!
Who thinks it’s not years away? Has anyone suggested it’s coming in 2022 or even 2023? I haven’t seen anyone.

Last edited:
the fact that there is no alternate to main line elder scroll games on any system baffles me , this is gonna be a long wait
I think KCD can compete in that niche. It's not exactly the same, but it's close enough and the questing is much better. Plus a fleshed out story helps. I know it isn't high fantasy but it is a medieval first person open world rpg with hundreds of hours of content.

For me at least it replaced the Skyrim sized hole in my heart. Just hope the sequel improves on the brokenness and the general bugs that plagued the first.

People refuse to stop buying Elder Scrolls 5, Mario Kart 8 and GTA 5. Therefore, they refuse to make Elder Scrolls 6, Mario Kart 9 and GTA 6.

Gargauth

We should appreciate any studio that go do what they want to do instead of where the money is. Look at Call of Duty or Asssassin creed factories....

Top Bottom