• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls VI Is still in Pre-Production According To Bethesda Game Studios Profile

FrankWza

What’s the rest of that quote that you conveniently cut off there Frank? Pretty sure Halo is an Xbox IP.
How did you find that!!!!! No one was supposed to see!
Are you daft?
Aren’t you American?
Games, movies, tv shows, etc are always compared to other things in media too help paint a picture.
It’s a direct quote from the game’s director. It’s not being compared. He’s describing his game.

Lognor

Banned
How did you find that!!!!! No one was supposed to see!

Aren’t you American?

It’s a direct quote from the game’s director. It’s not being compared. He’s describing his game.
It is being compared. Lol. You are daft. Saying skyrim in space immediately paints a picture. IT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SKYRIM!

Since you are so clueless on how marketing works here are a few examples of this comparison technique:

"Harry potter for grown ups"

"Game of thrones with otters"

And how could you forget the "it's the dark souls of x"

Don't be so daft!

FrankWza

It is being compared. Lol. You are daft. Saying skyrim in space immediately paints a picture. IT DOES NOT MEAN IT IS SKYRIM!

Since you are so clueless on how marketing works here are a few examples of this comparison technique:

"Harry potter for grown ups"

"Game of thrones with otters"

And how could you forget the "it's the dark souls of x"

Don't be so daft!
I don’t know know what you’re trying to say and what that has to do with what I said and the games director describing his own game in an interview.
Wow that’s an very sad amount of basic intelligence
Isn’t basic intelligence a low amount by default? Wouldn’t that be redundant?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is the wrong take.

You make multiple IPs and then assign different studios to develop on it alternately.

That's like asking why Naughty Dogs bothered making TLoU when they had Uncharted.

But I think B Bogeyman question is: since Bethesda has chosen a development strategy that calls for an all hands on deck approach for titles that take the better part of a decade to get out the door, why prioritize a completely new IP that is just as time consuming as the others in addition to being riskier? All while pushing back years of development time that could have gone to the established/highly successful and eagerly anticipated franchise.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But I think B Bogeyman question is: since Bethesda has chosen a development strategy that calls for an all hands on deck approach for titles that take the better part of a decade to get out the door, why prioritize a completely new IP that is just as time consuming as the others in addition to being riskier? All while pushing back years of development time that could have gone to the established/highly successful and eagerly anticipated franchise.
Because when Starfield comes out they will then likely have *another* massive franchise, which is always great. Now with MS’s fabled warchest of $$$$ behind them they will likely be able to expand and create multiple teams so they can work on more than one game at a time, and will already have the benefit of having multiple franchises to use.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Because when Starfield comes out they will then likely have *another* massive franchise, which is always great. Now with MS’s fabled warchest of $$$$ behind them they will likely be able to expand and create multiple teams so they can work on more than one game at a time, and will already have the benefit of having multiple franchises to use.
What you're saying here makes sense to me, but others have said that Bethesda chooses not to operate this way with multiple teams so idk.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What you're saying here makes sense to me, but others have said that Bethesda chooses not to operate this way with multiple teams so idk.
So far that’s true, but going forward who knows. They have been in financial trouble. MS could let them hire another 300 people, essentially doubling their staff, to allow them to make their games their way but twice as fast.

I’m not saying it will happen, but if I was MS and Bethesda that’s what I’d be doing. As people have said, 18 years or whatever it is between drinks is too long for such a massive franchise.

As MS have said, their goal is to get at least one AAA flagship game release on game pass every quarter of every year. That’s 4 AAA games a year, every year. Say they take on average 3 years to make a game, that means they need like 16-20 studios/teams making an AAA game every 3 years. Then they want AA games as well, say they take 2 years to make. That’s another say 12 studios/teams.

Anywhere that they can throw money to make it happen, they will. Gaming is legit now one of Microsoft’s core pillars alongside azure and windows and office. It’s no longer the red headed stepchild that they do as a side project.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
This is kinda odd considering the game was announced, albeit very early, in 2018 and that the universe, lore, locations and whatnot already exist.
They literally announced the game early so everyone would stop asking when it’s coming. Starfield has always been the priority project before they get to TESVI, so no, not really odd.

jigglet

Banned
If they want to speed this up, they should give it to 343. Instead of 9 years I bet they'll pull it off in 8.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They literally announced the game early so everyone would stop asking when it’s coming. Starfield has always been the priority project before they get to TESVI, so no, not really odd.
Nothing gets people to stop like hyping them up with a formal announcement huh? What kind of logic is that?

Kacho

Gold Member
Nothing gets people to stop like hyping them up with a formal announcement huh? What kind of logic is that?
Probably because they had two projects in the pipeline ahead of TESVI and Todd knew people would flip their shit if he didn’t at least confirm it’s coming. Now everyone can chill as they go through the hype cycles for their other games and press interviews won’t be dominated by questions about TES.

MrFunSocks

Banned
If they want to speed this up, they should give it to 343. Instead of 9 years I bet they'll pull it off in 8.
And then it’ll come second in sales in the biggest month of the year and win game of the year awards in the media and places like this, while having millions of people play it. Sounds like a win!

MrFunSocks

Banned
I mean announcing the game and saying “we’ll work on it after we finish and release the game we’re working on now” should be enough to stop people hyping it. I know personally that if Rare came out and said “After we ship Everwild we’re making Banjo 3!” I wouldn’t care about Banjo 3 until after everwild came out. It makes sense.

I guess they overestimated the ability of GaMeRz to control themselves haha

Umbasaborne

Banned
Too easy.
EDruban.jpg

But seriously, most large studios regardless of platform are able to work on multiple titles simultaneously.
Insomniac is really the gold standard. There games look and run amazing, they are fun, but they are not the biggest games out there, they are tight, focused experiences with minimal feature creep. They scope their games appropriately
To make quality experiences on a regular time scale.

Pre-production? Shyyyt, isn’t that just a fancy name for early access? Release it already, no one else seems to mind. Game on bitches!

Lognor

Banned
I don’t know know what you’re trying to say and what that has to do with what I said and the games director describing his own game in an interview.

Isn’t basic intelligence a low amount by default? Wouldn’t that be redundant?
That's a you problem that you don't understand. Reading comprehension not a strong suit for you, eh?

Starfield

Pre-production? Shyyyt, isn’t that just a fancy name for early access? Release it already, no one else seems to mind. Game on bitches!
If they would release it now it wouldn't even be a game. Just some secluded test cells where they are experimenting with new mechanics and whatnot

treemk

Banned
Microsoft should have created multiple teams at Bethesda. 1 for starfield. 1 for elder scrolls. 1 for fallout. Have them all on a 3 year cycle.

Waiting 18 years for the sequel to the biggest rpg of all time is insane.
This is how you milk IPs to death

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'll pick up ES6 with either a Series X slim or Series X Pro cause it sure as shit won't be out any time soon, Bethesda takes far too long between games and now they've added another franchise into their snails pace development ethos.

Top Bottom