• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of an era - Microsoft has ends official support for Windows 7

Fuz

Banned
10/11 are anticonsumer shit that go too far into the walled-garden territory, remove agency from the users and add tons of scummy intrusive crap.

I'd rather learn how to linux if I'm forced to switch from 8.1 - which while it does have its issues, it still does everything right for me more than the subsequent downgrades.

Last edited:

Unknown?

10/11 are anticonsumer shit that go too far into the walled-garden territory and remove agency from the users.
Not to mention they're straight up spyware. Keyloggers used to be considered malware but it's built right into Windows now.

Banned
10/11 are anticonsumer shit that go too far into the walled-garden territory, remove agency from the users and add tons of scummy intrusive crap.

I'd rather learn how to linux if I'm forced to switch from 8.1 - which while it does have its issues, it still does everything right for me more than the subsequent downgrades.

or... you know... just install a custom iso of win 10/11 that strips away all the things you don't like 🤷

PJX

Homies Pouring GIF by Rich Brian

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean, ive seen people defend vista of all things
yeah like me! It looks better than windows 7, the widgets were cool and.... and...... and...... that's it really

Every windows version has its merits imo (except 8 that's just plain terrible)

Last edited:
You guys should be glad that they made Windows 11.

They finally got rid of metro/live tile legacy garbage from Windows 8 and Windows 10. The sooner they get rid of Windows 10 the better Windows 11 will run. Windows 11 has a fresh look and runs very solid. The only thing I want from Windows 7 is the aero/transparency/aesthetics, which I think Windows 11 will have in due time.

I also think MSFT will finally be able to upgrade OS's on a more frequent basis similar to MacOS's/iOS/Android since its rumored that Windows 12 will be coming soon. Windows 7/8/10 is legacy/baggage that is bogging down the OS and good riddance.

I think this time it will take much longer for enterprise clients to switch from windows 10 to 11/12 as opposed to 7 to 10/11.

Time will tell.

I mean, ive seen people defend vista of all things
I personally had no real problems with it, with 32home and 64business. (my abandoned PC actually has 7, Vista and even XP installed)

Differences between 98, XP, Vista, 7 and now 10 seem very little from every step. XP got the stability 98 surely lacked, but other than that I could not name a single thing that changed. We went from grey, to fancy Aero and now everything is again rather flat and boring, the logos changed, where to find some stuff alters a bit sometimes, some programs are now apps for no reason ... okay, maybe multimonitorsupport is a point which actually improved, in regards to the task bar.

MS should have stopped the relabeling with Win X since nothing changes visibly anyway even if it does in the background. The promised WinFS, whatever it was supposed to bring, is never coming and no idea what other major changes would justify a "new" Windows going forward.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’ve always found it easy enough to make the switch and quickly adapt to whatever is different. Never felt so strongly about old vs new
there are some new changes Windows has definitely made for the worse, telemetry, removal of OS customization options, removal of MANY hardware acceleration features in Vista, worse looking interfaces as time went on (except for 11) etc

but at the same time that shit really feels overblown IMO. What do you guys use your PCs for that leads you running into these issues/hating the UI this much? It's really just video games, internet browsing, Documents/note taking, music making and on occasion video editing for me. All things which Windows excels (haha get it?!) at for me.
I also think MSFT will finally be able to upgrade OS's on a more frequent basis similar to MacOS's/iOS/Android since its rumored that Windows 12 will be coming soon.
This is what i'm interested in. I feel like they took many steps to make the UI better in 11 so i'm waiting for what 12 will change. Hopefully it'll be a vista to 7 situation. And just like 7 they bring the FUCKING THEMES BACK PLEASE

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I'm using Win11. It's OK as an OS.
But it has some major flaws in it's interface. Two of them border on absolute stupidity and incompetence.
- The new context menu that forces us to click twice to access all options. Fortunately there is a work around to restore a proper context menu.
- The removal of the option "Never combine taskbar buttons", so now we are forced to have a bunch on staked windows on the taskbar. And sorting them out can became really slow.

Fuz

Banned
XP got the stability 98 surely lacked, but other than that I could not name a single thing that changed.
Kidding? That fucking forced documents folder - which was and still is a giant annoyance for me - and how that handled the file system - making a mess of folders and subfolders.

Last edited:

Banned
- The new context menu that forces us to click twice to access all options. Fortunately there is a work around to restore a proper context menu.

I'm not using win 11, but can't you just hold shift while right clicking to open the old context menu?

dave_d

You guys should be glad that they made Windows 11.

They finally got rid of metro/live tile legacy garbage from Windows 8 and Windows 10. The sooner they get rid of Windows 10 the better Windows 11 will run. Windows 11 has a fresh look and runs very solid. The only thing I want from Windows 7 is the aero/transparency/aesthetics, which I think Windows 11 will have in due time.

I also think MSFT will finally be able to upgrade OS's on a more frequent basis similar to MacOS's/iOS/Android since its rumored that Windows 12 will be coming soon. Windows 7/8/10 is legacy/baggage that is bogging down the OS and good riddance.

I think this time it will take much longer for enterprise clients to switch from windows 10 to 11/12 as opposed to 7 to 10/11.

Time will tell.
If that means inn Windows 11 they get rid of UWP I will be very happy. (UWP should stand for Unreliable Work in Progress) Anyway I'm still holding off on 11. I had so many problems with the initial release of 10 that I waited years before switching when it was more stable.(Like the start menu not working in 10 for some accounts. Never got a real fix for that short of reinstall windows or make a new account)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think Windows 8 introduced fast boot. That was just unforgivable. (Why it's on by default in 8, 8.1, and 10 I'll never know.)
wasnt fast boot that piece of shit that doesnt ACTUALLY shut down your PC but instead leaves it sort of on so when you boot it up it boots faster? even though most people turn their computers off to refresh the system, so when you turn the PC back on it's still slower and buggy?

what a joke

chaseroni

Damn I remember running the Windows 7 beta on an old laptop that shipped with vista. Transformative experience.
Good times, lots of memories.

winjer

Gold Member
wasnt fast boot that piece of shit that doesnt ACTUALLY shut down your PC but instead leaves it sort of on so when you boot it up it boots faster? even though most people turn their computers off to refresh the system, so when you turn the PC back on it's still slower and buggy?

what a joke

Yes, fastboot just stores an image of the memory and then reloads it when we boot the PC again.
It's a really bad option that can carry over problems from one session to another. And the only advantage is that it save a few seconds on load time.
Much better to just load the OS and drivers fresh.

dave_d

Yes, fastboot just stores an image of the memory and then reloads it when we boot the PC again.
It's a really bad option that can carry over problems from one session to another. And the only advantage is that it save a few seconds on load time.
Much better to just load the OS and drivers fresh.
Exactly, your computer saves to disk and then shuts down.(Hybernates) Then when the computer starts up it just loads what ever in the save file and restores your computer to the same state. Anyway I wrote this awhile ago why fastboot sucks.(Just found it on this forum again.)

Basically fast boot really just hibernates the computer. (Saves the computer state to disk then shuts down. On start up your system loads the state from the drive.) The problem is that it

1. Locks the drive which makes recovery if anything goes wrong more troubling
2. Can have problems with encryption software.
3. Locking the drive also means you can't get at it if you have system with multiple OSes installed and apparently can actually cause problems when switching between OSes
4. Takes up a lot of space on the drive. (Easily can take up 10-30 GBs)
5. It doesn't even boot up that much faster anyway. I couldn't even notice the difference on a SSD.

So basically because of all those issues(with almost no real benefits) it really should be off by default but for some reason MS puts it on. (Same in Windows 8 and 8.1 btw.)

VN1X

Banned
- The removal of the option "Never combine taskbar buttons", so now we are forced to have a bunch on staked windows on the taskbar. And sorting them out can became really slow.
You're joking.

You're telling me that shit is on by default now and users are unable to disable it? *clutches W10*

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
You're joking.

You're telling me that shit is on by default now and users are unable to disable it? *clutches W10*

I think it was already enabled by default on Win10
But can be disabled with a CMD command: powercfg /hibernate off

dave_d

If I could draw a comic I know what comic I'd do for Vista

Frame1
We fixed everything people didn't like in Vista and it introduces a ton of great new features like superfetch and security. We even tried showing them that it's good by having them try it without knowing what it was.
Let's ask Carl in Marketing what to do.

Frame2
Carl - Just rename Windows 7 and re-release it. Oh and charge them again for it.

Frame3
Nobody would fall for that one.

Frame4
PCMag - Everybody loves this great new version of windows that's so much better than Vista.

SkylineRKR

As a programmer and someone who has been an early adopter of every Windows since 98 SE, I seriously don’t get why people are so, so passionate about “the new thing sucks, the old thing is better, I won’t give it up until I’m forced to”

I’ve always found it easy enough to make the switch and quickly adapt to whatever is different. Never felt so strongly about old vs new

3 exceptions:
- ME definitely sucked, to me all it seems like was a worse-performing + less stable 98SE with bloatware (Windows Media Player)

- Vista at launch had performance issues (e.g. slow file transfer speed) that were fixed in updates. After that it was pretty damn good

- 8 was obviously built with tablets in mind. It was usable for desktops but I can see why MS wanted to get 10 out ASAP and pretend like 8 never existed

ME is the worst of all. It typically went to shit after about 2 weeks of usage, forcing us to reinstall.

Vista? ropey start.. slow, demanded heavy specs, everything locked behind security etc. But Vista SP2? Pretty much Windows 7, yet people hate Vista and like 7. 7 even runs on Vista doesn't it? I believe there was a hidden dual boot on my notebook at the time.

Look, 9x was just shit. Passable at the time but really shit. XP was better but still shit. I had a hard time going back to XP after Vista, its just that XP was so archaic with everything. I think Vista, eventually, was vastly superior to any windows before it.

8 I skipped, I kept using 7. I jumped back in with W10. I liked it. W11, like it less than 10 I think.

Goalus

windows 11 is awful, its dumbed down and locked down more than even windows 10. it also has worse ux and less options overall. They also included drm where you need internet just to finish installing the OS and require a MS account.
I know that feeling. It's why I'll never use an iPhone - it requires internet and an Apple account.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I still run 7 on my laptop since I refuse to game on a laptop, I just never want to let go of classic honestly.

winjer

Gold Member
I heard recently that is not great for gaming for whatever reason.

The first year of Windows 11 was quite bad because of several bugs. Some of which cause severe performance loss.
But eventually MS managed to fix most of it. And today, Win11 is as stable as Win10.
Windows11 does have a better scheduler for modern CPUs, like Alder/Raptor Lake and the upcoming Zen43D.
It also has better support for Direct Storage, which will be nice when we get some games that support the tech.
It's main issue is interface, that in some cases is a lot worse then Win10.

OZ9000

Banned
I heard recently that is not great for gaming for whatever reason.
I would recommend a fresh install and turn off one of these forced security features if you want to maximise gaming performance.

Upgrading from 10 to 11 might be problematic.

I've had 11 since launch and it's been buttery smooth. I can't remember the last time I had to hard reset my PC.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would recommend a fresh install and turn off one of these forced security features if you want to maximise gaming performance.

Upgrading from 10 to 11 might be problematic.

I've had 11 since launch and it's been buttery smooth. I can't remember the last time I had to hard reset my PC.
I'm making a new build from scratch so it's gonna be a fresh install.

About that, do i have to pick the home or pro edition if i only play with the pc?!

Top Bottom