• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The exercise pill: How exercise keeps your brain healthy and protects it against depression and anxiety

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Y’all be muddyin’ da point.
Lol just saying walking a lot is king or high volume low intensity activities is sweet. My tortoise esque cardio is on another level. Slow and steady really does win the race. I can walk all day if I need to no problem and building up slow twitch endurance muscles takes time and consistency I feel like I've been leveling up the last two years.

DavidGzz

I lift every day and ride a recumbent bike at my desk job. We are short staffed and working many 12 hours shifts. My co-workers ask why I'm always full of energy and in good spirits. The difference is that I am the only one who exercises. When I am not exercising I need a daily nap and am way less energetic.

Rheon

Pre-COVID, I use to go to the gym 5 times a week to lift but zero cardio and I never really felt like I was 'fit'.

Recently started to do cardio somewhat consistently and I love it. The feeling after 45 minutes on an elliptical >>>

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Here's a study talking about how moderate exercise impacts medical costs later in life:

Leisure time physical activity throughout adulthood is associated with lower medicare costs: evidence from the linked NIH-AARP diet and health study cohort
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5348-3750
Diarmuid Coughlan1,2, Pedro F Saint-Maurice3, Susan A Carlson4, Janet Fulton4, Charles E Matthews3, Correspondence to Dr Diarmuid Coughlan;

Abstract​

Background
There is limited information about the association between long-term leisure time physical activity (LTPA) participation and healthcare costs. The purpose of this study was to investigate the association between LTPA over adulthood with later life healthcare costs in the USA.
Methods
Using Medicare claims data (between 1999 and 2008) linked to the National Institutes of Health-American Association of Retired Persons (NIH-AARP) Diet and Health Study, we examined associations between nine trajectories of physical activity participation throughout adulthood with Medicare costs.
Results
Compared with adults who were consistently inactive from adolescence into middle age, average annual healthcare costs were significantly lower for maintainers, adults who maintained moderate (–US$1350 (95% CI: –US$2009 to –US$690) or −15.9% (95% CI: −23.6% to −8.1%)) or high physical activity levels (–US$1200 (95% CI: –US$1777 to –US$622) or −14.1% (95% CI: −20.9% to −7.3%)) and increasers, adults who increased physical activity levels in early adulthood (–US$1874 (95% CI: US$2691 to –US$1057) or −22.0% (95% CI: −31.6% to −12.4%)) or in middle age (–US$824 (95% CI: –US$1580 to –US$69 or −9.7% (95% CI −18.6% to −0.8%)). For the four trajectories where physical activity decreased, the only significant difference was for adults who increased physical activity levels during early adulthood with a decline in middle age (–US$861 (95% CI:–US$1678 to –US$45) or −10.1% (95% CI: −19.7% to −0.5%)).
Conclusion
Our analyses suggest the healthcare cost burden in later life could be reduced through promotion efforts supporting physical activity participation throughout adulthood.

Top Bottom