• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fact that you can pause a gameplay video of a next-gen game and show how ugly a model is proves how much evolved and life-like they are.

Nickolaidas

"Alloy is so ugly, if you pause at that frame she looks like a man"

"the models are horrible, look at this screenshot"

Just like in real life. You can take a video showing a gorgeous model (male or female) and pause the video numerous times at inappropriate frames which 'uglify' the person due to his facial features being currently distorted because of a sudden expression change. Happens all the time in TV and is regularly used by media when they want to paint the person in a negative light for an article headline or something.

Here's a better example.
KW6x9sx.jpg
pionbcT.jpg

In the 2nd pic, due to Alloy's model taking a more tiresome expression because she's sheathing her weapon (and displays discomfort while doing so) the model looks a lot 'uglier' than it actually is. No more different than a female athlete taking a tiresome expression because she's straining herself.

Here, same thing:

rtbJsWd.jpg
TFOnvhC.jpg

Alloy's features take on a softer tone, and as a result looks more charming and feminine. The picture to the right is taken at a frame where she's trying to activate a machine part and her expression is more 'uugh, let's hope ... this works ...' kinda thing.

Now let's compare to another model which was praised by many people (myself included).

RVkwcpC.jpg

Tifa looks gorgeous, but compared to Alloy, her facial features are almost non-existent. She's more like an animated doll, rather than a human being. Now I know, different art styles, but still - the models in FF7 remake are a lot less detailed when we are talking about the facial expressions they take. And as a result, they *may* look better (because their 'perfect expression' is basically engraved onto their faces), but they lack the detail of the spectrum of emotions the models of the main characters in Horizon 2 have.

So my conclusion is that the fact that we can take screenshots of next-gen character models at their 'ugliest' and post them online to laugh and whatnot, proves the amazing amount of detail those models have in their facial expressions and mannerisms. It truly is incredible once you stop and think how far we've come since our PSX/Saturn days ...

I agree with you. Alloy debacle is a product of human imperfections being represented in video games better.

And if some people want video games to look perfect, then I don't know what to tell them sadly and I am sure the developers don't either.
Some studios make cartoons and take pride in their artistic vision, others try to reproduce reality (some vision of it).

The problem lies in the constant vilification of those who like Tifa and similar characters (I like tifa and alloy for different reasons)... And I don't see the fixation on redefining beauty, trying to attain and pursue it is way more interesting.

Tschumi

So the incels who consider ugly videogame women a direct assault on their penis will cherry pick awkward frames of a facial captured model who is half a decade older than she was in the last game and crow about them?

They're simplistic, mean spirited, thindicked trolls?

We know this.

Will Ferrell Brennan GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

Lethal01

RVkwcpC.jpg

the models in FF7 remake are a lot less detailed when we are talking about the facial expressions they take. And as a result, they *may* look better (because their 'perfect expression' is basically engraved onto their faces), but they lack the detail of the spectrum of emotions the models of the main characters in Horizon 2 have.

Nah, the models in FF7 have just as much range during cutscenes, the animators just chose to give them less ugly expressions, but you can still find some.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I really think you didn’t get the point of the so-called “controversy” about Aloy, OP. Learn to have more fun and you’ll get it eventually.

Also, it’s ALOY. You should... take an L there, so to speak.

YukiOnna

Cool. Don't really know much about the Alloy thing or why the focus on her, but I don't like the photo realistic/aim to make models more and more life-like. Prefer it to be cartoonish/stylized since it's a game.

The issue with Aloy is the in-game model is uglier than the face model.WHY do they need to make a video game character uglier than the real person? I don't get your western culture

ZywyPL

Banned
It is indeed, a truly remarkable achievement of the video game industry.

Craig_The_Halo_Infinite_Brute_Banner.jpg

Oh wait it isn't, a bad looking model is exactly that, a bad looking model. Can we stop with all those Aloy defending threads already? Which one it this, 3rd? 4th? She doesn't represent her real-life model, and the devs themselves even already said they make it ugly on purpose, they made a 18-19yo girls look like a 40yo Karen, end of story.

Whitecrow

Banned
Who cares if Alloy is life like or not.
We already have real life to look at normal things, and we want fiction and fantasy to enjoy things we cant enjoy irl.

Who cares if Alloy is life like or not.
We already have real life to look at normal things, and we want fiction and fantasy to enjoy things we cant enjoy irl.

Agreed. I also don't like ugly looking males too. Even every GTAV main character has been relatively nice looking except that bald guy.

Top Bottom