• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The fact that you can pause a gameplay video of a next-gen game and show how ugly a model is proves how much evolved and life-like they are.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Or maybe look at the screenshot and ask yourself two things. Why is it dated three years ago and why is someone posting a screenshot of Gamefaqs instead of an article? Do you regularly fall for fake news? Seems like a very incelish thing to do.
Well it's because I'm at work actually, and can't open lots of links. Fairly random what I'm allowed to open at times. So without my ability to check any of it, I said - and I quote - "if these summaries are accurate then ...."

That's what they call a disclaimer, or a qualifying statement sir. You were in such a hurry to begin insulting me that you seem to have missed me agreeing with your skepticism pre-emptively in the first words of my post.

What does me having a job, or commenting on articles with a disclaimer have to do with being an incel? Why do you enjoy insulting people you don' t even know?

GymWolf

fine, fine. how's this?

y0GP4Kt.jpg
Put some robotic shit on that chicken wing and a bow on her and we have the perfect cover for the game.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
"I'm not gonna whine about it...I will now whine about it."

What's the problem with an ugly character? Markus from Gears of War is hideous, but everyone seemed cool with him.
BTW...That's not how quotes.

Marcus was ugly from the first game to current (LOL). He's a grizzled war veteran recently sprung from prison...he was never designed to be glamorous.

Not the same for Aloy. They made her hot...then chose to make her...uglier. Interesting. Why?

Interfectum

BTW...That's not how quotes.

Marcus was ugly from the first game to current (LOL). He's a grizzled war veteran recently sprung from prison...he was never designed to be glamorous.

Not the same for Aloy. They made her hot...then chose to make her...uglier. Interesting. Why?
If you are referencing the Gamefaqs screenshot posted in this thread, it's fake.

Woodchipper

Aloy vs Abby

Which character will result in more threads about who is uglier? You decide.
Abby will always be the ugliest female character in video game history, no contest. Partly because, well, she’s ugly, but also, what she did adds to her ugliness. Oh, and…
… the fact that you have to play as the bitch for the second half of the game doesn’t help.

Danknugz

I finally understand why I’ve been seeing this avatar for people with t modified to look like a dude. Had absolutely no clue wtf that was all about, (still don’t really care but at least it is explained now)

I really don't want to come out as rude or arrogant but...

Can someone explain me why the fuck people care about how a VIDEOGAME CHARACTER looks?

Was the movie Monster with Charlize Theron, who let me remind you was portrayed in a less prettier version of herself, any less good because of that?

Nope.

Again I don't mean to offend anyone.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My core problem actually has nothing to do with if character are “ugly” or not. We talk to other people our entire lives, we know how people in real world express and show emotion in their face.

Games still can’t fully replicate that and by nature, video games are imperfect, but the problem comes face becomes more realistic and start using scan faces those imperfection become more obvious and to me super distracting and down right creepy at times(especially some games love to show actual act of sex).

For me this why I always like stylize and custom face over realistic ones, I know most people won’t share my opinion on this.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

The drugs have to be pretty good in Amsterdam to come up with that reasoning.
jzhR6vM.png

If any of those quotes are true, which can be disputed as it's not a regular article but just some quotes on a gaming forum. It's guaranteed not a comment on the FW version of Aloy.

I really don't want to come out as rude or arrogant but...
well you ARE rude and arrogant, pal!

Can someone explain me why the fuck people care about how a VIDEOGAME CHARACTER looks?
typical CIS-CENTRIC passive/aggressive discourse!

Was the movie Monster with Charlize Theron, who let me remind you was portrayed in a less prettier version of herself, any less good because of that?
how very typical of you to ASSUME HER GENDER!

can't even mount a supportable argument, incel!

Again I don't mean to offend anyone.

CWTVWCW.jpg

Nickolaidas

Is it too late to say that this was never meant to be an Aloy thread but a 'modern AAA character models realism' thread with Aloy used as an example?

"Alloy is so ugly, if you pause at that frame she looks like a man"

"the models are horrible, look at this screenshot"

Just like in real life. You can take a video showing a gorgeous model (male or female) and pause the video numerous times at inappropriate frames which 'uglify' the person due to his facial features being currently distorted because of a sudden expression change. Happens all the time in TV and is regularly used by media when they want to paint the person in a negative light for an article headline or something.

Here's a better example.
KW6x9sx.jpg
pionbcT.jpg

In the 2nd pic, due to Alloy's model taking a more tiresome expression because she's sheathing her weapon (and displays discomfort while doing so) the model looks a lot 'uglier' than it actually is. No more different than a female athlete taking a tiresome expression because she's straining herself.

Here, same thing:

rtbJsWd.jpg
TFOnvhC.jpg

Alloy's features take on a softer tone, and as a result looks more charming and feminine. The picture to the right is taken at a frame where she's trying to activate a machine part and her expression is more 'uugh, let's hope ... this works ...' kinda thing.

Now let's compare to another model which was praised by many people (myself included).

RVkwcpC.jpg

Tifa looks gorgeous, but compared to Alloy, her facial features are almost non-existent. She's more like an animated doll, rather than a human being. Now I know, different art styles, but still - the models in FF7 remake are a lot less detailed when we are talking about the facial expressions they take. And as a result, they *may* look better (because their 'perfect expression' is basically engraved onto their faces), but they lack the detail of the spectrum of emotions the models of the main characters in Horizon 2 have.

So my conclusion is that the fact that we can take screenshots of next-gen character models at their 'ugliest' and post them online to laugh and whatnot, proves the amazing amount of detail those models have in their facial expressions and mannerisms. It truly is incredible once you stop and think how far we've come since our PSX/Saturn days ...
Nah, thats not the reason. Beautiful people exist you know? Compare for example how Ellie looked in the first trailer for TLOU II and how she looked in the final version.

She looked beautiful, but then all developers got into their heads they had to make characters ugly (I'm looking at you Capcom) and completely destroyed her face. Still, they couldn't make her too ugly because then it would be a complete different character.

QbwB0qB.jpg

aBqJJOj.jpg

ezaViuP.jpg

Mojo1990

Dude

Her face is fat

Just admit it and move on.

They've done little justice to the actual model she's meant to look like.

Top Bottom