• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallacy Of Game Pass “Value”

Status
Not open for further replies.

imbrock

Banned
As someone who's used game pass for about a year now I've got to say its sort of underwhelming. Of the games our household has played on it many have been cheap indie games that we could have just purchased and others have been games that were on it for a limited time that we then had to purchase. In that department the value has been not great.

On the other side of that is Microsofts exclusive games, we originally got game pass for Sea of Thieves which launched in a notoriously unfinished state. Between then and now there have been a couple of other games they've put out Gears 5 and State of decay, neither of which we were interested in. Then Grounded was announced, it sounded like an interesting idea but upon loading the game it was immediately apparent that it was basically an early access / alpha gameplay prototype of a game. Flight Simulator 2020 seems to have a similar trend with comments on updates indicating the bulk of 'the game' will be released in the future. And this is the thing that gives me concerns for the future of game pass.

Microsoft has been showing themselves more than willing to release unfinished games and finish them on our dime. I personally really dislike paying for the promise of a good game one day. I think early access is a blight on the games industry and is one of the worst things ever bestowed upon the games industry. Thanks Minecraft, Steam Early Access, and No Mans Sky for popularizing, normalizing, and making acceptable this practice. If gamepass is going to be a games as a service subscription those GAAS releases are going to have to be more than just a promise and a prototype or the value will quickly start evaporating.

Kagey K

Banned
Don't think Gamepass is half as good as people make it seem. For one, it's basically a glorified rental service, with games cycling out over time and you not really owning anything. Sure in theory once a game cycles out you can buy it at a discount, but I actually prefer the Sony Alternative where the free games they give you are forever yours to keep as long as you have an active subscription to access them. I currently have 235 PS+ free games acquired over the years, and I consider those part of my permanent game collection. Add the new PS Collection and PS Now to that and you have a pretty decent service as it is, and one that will probably get even better next gen due to the MS competition.
Uhhh that's exactly what Games with Gold is. Separate from Gamepass, but included in Gamepass Ultimate or a standard Gold subscription. You claim the games when they are available and they are yours, with 2 minor caveats, they gave away 4 games per month (2 XB1, 2 BC) and you get to keep the BC ones even if you let your subscription expire.

@mods

I didn’t bump the thread for “console wars.” My post was a legitimate point I was making. It would made no sense to creat a new thread or post in the next gen thread since my post pertained to a topic that was already made.
sasha grey good luck GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Where are the paladins? There's lots of necrobumping lately.

Chukhopops

When you look at it from a value point of view, PSNow is really not bad at all, I think it’s a good replacement for lack of PS3 BC, there’s a lot of good back catalog games that people might want to play.

But if you want to play recent stuff, it won’t really work for you as only three games from the entire catalog were released in 2020 and fourteen in 2019. First party support is a bit on and off too, you can play Days Gone that came out last year but you can’t play Uncharted 4 that came out in 2016.

So it’s a different approach, more focused on the old catalog, and the numbers show it.

People are making the mistake of thinking all 3rd party games will be on Gamepass. They won’t.

That's the problem with gamepass. It doesn't matter if it has few day 1 releases. The majority of games won't release on the service especially the good ones made by third-party publishers.

EACH AND EVERY GAME that is not included in the gamepass service is a gamepass competition. And the biggest competition of gamepass amongst the gamer crowd are the free-to-play games.

It's so different how we consume games from movies or shows. A gamer can play a game for months and months if he is so engrossed in such a game. This is certainly the case with many FIFA/COD/Fortnite players.

The only ones that will really find value in renting games from MS are:
1. MS hardcore fan who would support MS no matter what.
2. Trophy hunters.
3. High schoolers who play a lot of games every month - who is not into Fortnite (or other F2P), Fifa, CoD and the likes.
4. Those who have a lot of money that they don't care they waste $15 a month even though they're playing GTA6 (or the latest 3rd party AAA games) almost everytime he turns on his console.

I setup my PS5 last night and took a look at PSNow, thinking I might subscribe. Noped out of that pretty hard after looking for a bit. Can see why it's failing so badly.

First impression though is Sony finally made a nice controller - hallelujah - not the gimmicky stuff, the actual controller itself. First one that hasn't felt Fisher Price to me.

Concern

That's the problem with gamepass. It doesn't matter if it has few day 1 releases. The majority of games won't release on the service especially the good ones made by third-party publishers.

EACH AND EVERY GAME that is not included in the gamepass service is a gamepass competition. And the biggest competition of gamepass amongst the gamer crowd are the free-to-play games.

It's so different how we consume games from movies or shows. A gamer can play a game for months and months if he is so engrossed in such a game. This is certainly the case with many FIFA/COD/Fortnite players.

The only ones that will really find value in renting games from MS are:
1. MS hardcore fan who would support MS no matter what.
2. Trophy hunters.
3. High schoolers who play a lot of games every month - who is not into Fortnite (or other F2P), Fifa, CoD and the likes.
4. Those who have a lot of money that they don't care they waste $15 a month even though they're playing GTA6 (or the latest 3rd party AAA games) almost everytime he turns on his console.

This is rich considering you made a thread suggesting how to make PSnow a Gamepass competitor lol. You guys have such a hard on for Gamepass even though its not on Playstation. Just move tf on already, its sad.

This is rich considering you made a thread suggesting how to make PSnow a Gamepass competitor lol.

LOL no. I didn't. If you will just read the post and not just read the thread title you will know what I was saying.

I mistakenly put Gamepass Competitor in the title but what I was actually thinking is a Netflix/Disney+ competitor.

Netflix subscribers = 200 million.
Disney+ = 80+ million.

That's the direction I want Sony to go. And a form of improved PSNow (no day and date release) included in the service as an added value.

Last edited:

Concern

LOL no. I didn't. If you will just read the post and not just read the thread title you will know what I was saying.

I mistakenly put Gamepass Competitor in the title but what I was actually thinking is a Netflix/Disney+ competitor.

Disney+ = 80+ million.

That's the direction I want Sony to go.

"Mistakenly"

Great Job Reaction GIF by Bounce

"Mistakenly"

Great Job Reaction GIF by Bounce

Yes. It was a mistake. I was originally thinking of ways to improve PSNow so in my mind it was a gamepass competition.

But when I was organizing my thoughts, I realized it was actually a Netflix/Disney+/HBO Max competitor.

And if you will read the thread I was constantly arguing why Sony should not follow gamepass model because it's a niche market as opposed to Netflix and Disney+.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Disney+ = 80+ million.

That's the direction I want Sony to go. And a form of improved PSNow (no day and date release) included in the service as an added value.

microsoft is saying about potential 2bn gamers that are target market for gamepass

Moogle11

Banned
It saves me money and frustration. Money as there’s lots of stuff on there I would otherwise buy and frustration avoided from not buying games out of my comfort zone just to have something to play in lulls between bug games I’m excited to play. With Gamepass (and the free games I amass on Epic, PS+ etc) there’s always plenty of games to check out and quickly drop if I’m not feeling them. Vs wasting time trying to like them if I bought them.

It’s not for everyone, but it’s great for my needs as someone who doesn’t care about owning media (not a collector and rarely replay/rewatch things) and who has a lot of lulls between big games I’m stoked enough to buy at full price. Even those I’m going to sell after beating most of the time.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Disney+ = 80+ million.

You sound like one of those gay pastors living in the southern US who accidentally trip and bum someone in the bathroom stall lmao

On Demand

Banned
I setup my PS5 last night and took a look at PSNow, thinking I might subscribe. Noped out of that pretty hard after looking for a bit. Can see why it's failing so badly.

First impression though is Sony finally made a nice controller - hallelujah - not the gimmicky stuff, the actual controller itself. First one that hasn't felt Fisher Price to me.

Do you prefer new titles or back catalogue?

I would rather use a streaming service more for catalogue titles. Titles especially you can’t buy physically anymore. PSnow has room to do even better in that aspect.

GP having more new titles is great. I would still rather buy and own new games rather than pay a subscription to play them.

Gamepass is all about waiting, if you can handle it.

Gamepass gives an alternative to games that are hitting the under $30 end of the road. It's a good way to catch up on that stuff if you get it on sale or do some damage in a month.

Concern

Lol

Gamepass is amazing. And will just go from strength to strength as the gen progresses, and ms first party devs get into the swing.

Im not even crazy about it tbh. I rather when exclusives were sold as such and only on console. But I'd be stupid to buy games instead of just subscribing for much less.

I enjoy collecting games but it just means more money to buy my ps exclusives then. This hate circus over a service thats not even on their console of choice, is an embarrassment and a testament to how similar to reeee these fanboys are.

Last edited:
Do you prefer new titles or back catalogue?

I would rather use a streaming service more for catalogue titles. Titles especially you can’t buy physically anymore. PSnow has room to do even better in that aspect.

GP having more new titles is great. I would still rather buy and own new games rather than pay a subscription to play them.
I like both, and I don’t have to choose on GamePass.

For example I am currently playing Gears Hivebusters and The Touryst - couldn’t be more different and having as much fun with each.

With Microsoft’s upcoming library all being available it really is an exciting prospect for Xbox gamers.

This is rich considering you made a thread suggesting how to make PSnow a Gamepass competitor lol. You guys have such a hard on for Gamepass even though its not on Playstation. Just move tf on already, its sad.
I don't think you understood what he meant, you may constantly going back to school.
microsoft is saying about potential 2bn gamers that are target market for gamepass
That includes the bejewelled, Dr. panda restaurant, and fortnite gamers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
EDIT: just saw that this thread is old (bumped) and already argued. So... ignore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom