• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Days of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive....

SkylineRKR

For me Genesis died after 1995. I was seriously disappointed by it. Sega said they saw their 16-bit as their main pillar and would continue to support it but kinda pulled the plug. After 1995 the releases pretty much dried up except for the annual EA Sports trash and some other games. Sonic 3D was a surprise release and my final game I think, I thought it was awful. VF2 was also awful compared to the likes of SF2 CE. Vectorman 2 might've been good, but never really got into the first.

Lost World I never saw either. For the the best JP game was Rampage Edition.

RAIDEN1

For me Genesis died after 1995. I was seriously disappointed by it. Sega said they saw their 16-bit as their main pillar and would continue to support it but kinda pulled the plug. After 1995 the releases pretty much dried up except for the annual EA Sports trash and some other games. Sonic 3D was a surprise release and my final game I think, I thought it was awful. VF2 was also awful compared to the likes of SF2 CE. Vectorman 2 might've been good, but never really got into the first.

Lost World I never saw either. For the the best JP game was Rampage Edition.
VF2 will go down as the most pointless Virtua Fighter project EVER full stop. WHY would you invest in a game that is inferior to the Saturn and Arcade version? By 1995 the tech in the Genesis was close to becoming a decade old, so there would have been only so much they could get out of it..(If you think that the genesis project may have started in 1986/1987) for 16 bit systems everywhere the game was up by 1996...

I remember it already felt like that system was over when it was getting stuff like that chopped up UMK3 and then with stuff like X-Perts it was really clear that system was beyond done.

Deft Beck

VF2 will go down as the most pointless Virtua Fighter project EVER full stop. WHY would you invest in a game that is inferior to the Saturn and Arcade version? By 1995 the tech in the Genesis was close to becoming a decade old, so there would have been only so much they could get out of it..(If you think that the genesis project may have started in 1986/1987) for 16 bit systems everywhere the game was up by 1996...

I think it was mainly for the Brazilian market. They got weird conversions like that all the time because of their restrictive import laws. Sometimes they even made their own homebrewed conversions.

For similar reasons, Sony lets EA and Konami make FIFA and PES way after the consoles stop being supported in the West. They're called the "legacy editions" here.

Last edited:

celsowmbr

Banned
its easy to say that if you lived in a rich country in the 90's. mega drive was a good entertainment option for poor kids in countries for decades.

Top Bottom