• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy 13 thread.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Is the Pulse L'Cie a false God? It seemed like a construct. I guess that may be revealed. It seemed like it was just testing them in that first fight.
I guess they flew the Pulse L'Cie into Cocoon?
I guess I need to read the strategy guide.

I always kind of looked at it like a pantheon. Many lesser gods underneath the banner of three or four higher gods, underneath the banner of a direct god/direct god's family.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Oh boy. Does it really matter that much to you?
I thought it was kind of neat how they'd just turn black and fade in a Mist locked in whatever pose/action they were taking before death. Especially satisfying if you killed a staggered enemy with a Launch attack. They just fly up in the air and disintegrate.

fyovxyoghyhktr.jpg

That did not age well... I bet he's out there praising 12tf of GamePass or something.

Wonder what that user thinks now after all these years and with Sony's woke BS these days?
The industry is woke BS, it's not like that was a differentiating factor.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don't get why it is a game over if Lightning is KOed.

It's game over if the party leader is KO'd, regardless of whether or not it's Lightning. The devs probably thought the battle system was too fast paced to account for controlling multiple party members at the same time. Obviously, it could be implemented, because it was in XIII-2, but eh.

RaduN

Terrible cliche characters. They act exactly as you'd expect, only worse. Zero self-awareness, zero chemistry, it's all one big boring, nonsensical cast.
Terrible english VA.

However, it had great production values, amazing soundtrack, addictive battle system, interesting enough lore.
I think i played it 2 times, start to finnish. It had a certain charm, it flowed well after a while.

SkylineRKR

I have found that you can get your HP pretty low before switching paradigms. Vanille heals fast.

The combat system is very involving despite having to use auto battle a lot. You need to do some micromanagement and a last second sentinel switch saves a huge HP dump, and as soon as the hit is confirmed you can already switch to something else. Same for Lightning's Army of One, you can start it and then go full commando while its still going, no need to stay Ravager.

Very quick paradigm switches and muscle memory is the key to success against the elite enemies.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Terrible cliche characters. They act exactly as you'd expect, only worse. Zero self-awareness, zero chemistry, it's all one big boring, nonsensical cast.
Terrible english VA.

However, it had great production values, amazing soundtrack, addictive battle system, interesting enough lore.
I think i played it 2 times, start to finnish. It had a certain charm, it flowed well after a while.

I'd argue that the voice DIRECTION was more to blame than the actual VA. FFXIII and it's sequels had plenty of well respected vets in voice work, and people who did work for television shows/etc. Alli Hillis, Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brian, and Vincent Martella off the top of my head. And side characters and incidental NPCs were voiced by actors who played main party members in previous games. Jihl Nabaat was voiced by Lulu's actress in FFX, and James Arnold Taylor was like four different people in Bodhum, haha. The talents of the cast weren't the problem.

I like the characters. Sazh is the "old guy" that has been around. He calls most of the group kids.
Despite only being 35. That's one jrpg trope I actually do get annoyed by.
I could understand if he was 65 and up, but he's only 14 years older than Light.

Final Fantasy X spoilers below:

Auron is worse because he was 25 when he died, but is listed as 35 in game, while looking at least 45.

Krathoon

Despite only being 35. That's one jrpg trope I actually do get annoyed by.
I could understand if he was 65 and up, but he's only 14 years older than Light.

Final Fantasy X spoilers below:

Auron is worse because he was 25 when he died, but is listed as 35 in game, while looking at least 45.
Final Fantasy has this weird thing about not having real old main characters.

They have old NPCs.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
All things considered, i agree.

I mean, I'm not saying the script was brilliantly written, either, and that probably hurt. I can't remember if FFXIII was the first game to do localization with lip synching or not, that's what used to make dubs awkward, because they had to match the lip movements and pauses of the Japanese performance which led to stilted or awkward lines. XIII also tried to do the in media res opening like FFX did, but X did it MUCH better.

Krathoon

I always find it funny how they make noises in JRPGs when they react to things. I guess Japanese people do that allot.

Kev Kev

I like the characters. Sazh is the "old guy" that has been around. He calls most of the group kids.
sazh was my favorite.

im 34 now and just played the game for the first time earlier this year, and i felt his character was most relatable. the others just felt like... kids, you know? he was more grown up, and he dint do all the grunt, moans, and groans and weird shit they had vanille's voice actress do

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
sazh was my favorite.

im 34 now and just played the game for the first time earlier this year, and i felt his character was most relatable. the others just felt like... kids, you know? he was more grown up, and he dint do all the grunt, moans, and groans and weird shit they had vanille's voice actress do

Same, sans four years. It's interesting, because I played the game first on launch night, and back then, I felt I related more to Lightning because teenage wangst, but now with where I'm at in life, Sazh definitely gets me. It's a poor metric, given how archetypal the characters are at large, but Sazh is definitely the best written in the original game.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I think the biggest problem with the game is that the world is just a set-piece, not a place you can live in or interact with.

Krathoon

I think the biggest problem with the game is that the world is just a set-piece, not a place you can live in or interact with.
You can say that about all games. They just show you part of the world. Games have not reached a point where they are realistic.

You can't realistically live in Skyrim either. The game world is more like an amusement park.

greyshark

One of my favorite games - LOVED the battle system. Once you master paradigm shifting you come to find some of the combinations are truly OP, so I sympathize with the devs for locking them out in the early parts of the game.

Krathoon

I would say the worst game is FF11. I think they did finally improve it. It used to be that you had to have a group to do anything. FF14 is way better.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
People putting titles post-2000 for worst FF probably skipped FFII, the game where you either beat yourself in the starting area to get more powerful, or winged it and stepped one pixel in the direction on the world map and got disintegrated by the juggernaut, except the juggernaut was a troll, or a wolf or some shit.

Also, having a rotating fourth party member slot so you were always traveling with someone completely underpowered in tandem with PASSWORDS and it was just

God, at least it was innovative. Innovations that people ran the polar opposite direction from for their lives, but innovations nonetheless.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Final Fantasy 2 is awesome. Even X-2 is less worse than 13.

Deal Reaction GIF

g1v40tsomzzdqkyreha7.gif

Plus, Nobuo Uematsu

I like all of the mainline FF titles for their strengths. No game is like another, so judging each individual one based on what it's not versus what it is always seemed counterintuitive to me, given it's an anthology series.

The music in FFII *is* awesome.

And I'm one of those weirdos that can vibe with FFX-2 because the battle system is great.

But in the same line of thinking as stated above, FFII hits the least amount of "notes," for an enjoyable game for me. I respect the atmosphere, music, and storyline (was pretty in depth for a NES game) but it just didn't click with me.

FFXIII did.

But my top 3 is predictably VII, VI, and IX.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Lightning is like Xena.

Lightning is like Bae.

I still fondly remember the random guy on gamefaqs back in the days before the Western release (remember when there used to be months between JPN and US releases? Shit) who made posts/threads everyday about licking Lightning's feet after she'd ran through Pulse in those boots all day. I wonder how that guy is doing in the year of our Lord, 2021.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You know what has held up the best about FF13? The music

Agreed. So many good pieces in this soundtrack (and the trilogy as a whole) The battle theme remains one of favorite battle themes in the series. It's actually funny how distinct Hamauzu's style is. All of the original tracks he composed for FFVIIR give me very XIII vibes, particularly the path to Wall Market and the climb to Shinra HQ.

Top Bottom