• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forgotten City: Gameplay Walkthrough

I wonder if there are many cities that use ziplines as part of the infrastructure? I'd love to have been at one of those meeting "Yeah, initially we planned on building a road but then I found a rope, and, well...SURPRISE".

This looks pretty interesting actually. It seems to be on it's way to everything too, according to the website.
PC | PlayStation 4 | PlayStation 5 | Xbox One | Xbox Series S/X
Nintendo Switch to follow in Q3 2021

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Brainless level design.
If this was a AAA title, fine. But it's an indie title, go crazy with it.
Meh, it's all based off the Skyrim mod so it makes sense it's the way it is. It got it's acclaim because it was one of the first if not THE first mod to win a Writers Guild Award if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Forgotten City reviewed by Gabriel Moss on PC, also coming to PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox.

Originally a mod for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim back in 2015, this standalone remake from original developer Modern Storyteller does a great job taking the already fantastic adventure out of the Dwemer ruins while still exploring interesting moral quandaries through excellently written dialogue and characters.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Travel 2,000 years into the past and relive the final days of a cursed Roman city, where if one person sins, everyone dies.

The Forgotten City released on PS4 & PS5 on July 28th.

rofif

Banned
Just finished this on pc.
It was excellent ! Took me about 9 hours.
Really creative game. Actually I think I enjoyed it more than twelve minutes.
Loved the graphics, music and the historical detail.
The story and writing can get kinda simple and naive (especially the ending ending) but I finished the game in one sitting.
It was very engaging to find all the possibilities. And somehow ended satisfyingly !

HUGE ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT OPEN
Can you talk anything out of Pluto or is the crown the only way?
If Pluto is just an alien and he returns to his home planet. That proves religion to be fake.
But there is still hell/underworld ?! Why would karen stay? Isn't it also from the same race of aliens?
Why humans need an underworld if religion was just aliens...

So that is my only story gripe.

And the ending 4 after credits was super naive. They make You feel like some nazi camp rescuer 50 years later.
Look! Everyone is here and they love you but nobody remembers you talked to them for 8 hours obviously.
This part should just not be in the game just as rdr2 epilogue
But I can't hate it for that. It was sweet and You can clearly see devs love these characters.

And it is also bittersweet knowing that aliens gods are just gone and people will never ascend.

btw - I really like the "civ built on civ built on civ" message. Interesting topic on youtube

That was like ... one of the most inspiring, creative and polished indie games in a long time. One of best games this year 100%

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Forgotten City started as a Skyrim mod, and is an adventure game filled with mystery, intrigue, and long, intricate conversations. So what does it look like when someone brute forces their way through it? It's pretty hilarious, it turns out. Watch along with developers Nick Pearce (Managing Director, Writer, Designer, Producer, Director), Alex Goss, (Technical Lead, Programmer) and John Eyre (Lead Artist, Environment and Character Art) as they watch their game get finished incredibly fast by speedrunner ShadowthePast.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When developer Modern Storytellers wanted to make its successful Skyrim mod The Forgotten City a full-fledged game, they planned for a two year reskin. What they didn't know is that the small decision would derail the game's development for years.

The Forgotten City is a murder mystery, stuck in a time loop, set in an intricately designed Roman City. It's so well realized, that if you didn't know, you might assume the game was built from the ground up to always be that way. In actuality, it started as a Skyrim mod set in an underground Dwarven city.

The original mod was a huge success, amounting in millions of downloads and garnered several writing awards including Best Interactive Media from the Australian Writers' Guild. Designer/writer Nick Pearce enjoyed making the mod so much that he left his established career as a lawyer to pursue game development full-time and bring the mod to life as a full-fledged standalone game.

What was intended as a two year endeavor to remake the game in a Roman setting turned into a cascading list of problems that would cause Nick Pearce and his development team, Modern Storytellers, to rewrite and rebuild the game from the ground up.

This is the story of how changing the setting broke The Forgotten City.

Top Bottom