• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The forgotten Konami classic

rna_g.jpg

Konami was a pretty strong third-party developer in the 16-bit era. It already had some established franchises of its own as well as having a knack with licensed properties (I especially liked their Tiny Toons games on Genny and Sneeze). Their support of the Genesis was timid and a mixed bag, obviously not considering the system a priority, but one game changed all that: Rocket Knight Adventure.

Rocket%20Knight%20Adventures%20(E)_000.jpg

RKA didn't look immediately too appealing and even seemed a bit dated by Genny standards, but sticking at it, being curious and even enjoying some of the soundtrack (whoever composed it deserve some accolades), I discovered a surprisingly varied action game, among the very best on the system.

genesis_0006_015.png

The company knew it had a winner with RKA when they released the sequel, Sparkster, on SNES and Genny barely a year later. Unfortunately, unless the original RKA development team was shot and ditched somewhere, I have no idea why the sequel sucks so much. What happened? :lol

duckroll

Rocket Knight Adventures was fucking awesome, but Sparkster was forgettable imo. RKA ranks as one of my favorite action games to date, just as Landstalker is my favorite adventure rpg to date. The Genesis had a ton of gems, too bad Sega had to drive a stake in their heart and leave the hardware scene. :(

Rlan

I didn't like RKA too much, but I LOVED Genesis Sparkster. Much more vertical movement than RKA, and just constantly boosting around the place is a ton of fun :)

the level where you have to view your character position by means of its reflection in lava was pure design genuis. there were also some twin layer platform action where you go in front and behind a waterfall... :)

brilliant game. but no 3D iteration please... though a renewed NDS version could be cool.

I own and love both RKA and Sparkster (SNES), but I've always wondered whether Sparkster on the Genesis was the same game as its SNES counterpart (with necessary graphics downgrade) or a different game altogether (w/ different stages, etc.).

explodet

Jackal and RKA are both good answers. :D

Although you do see vehicular combat in games these days, you don't see a platemailed opossum with a jet pack and sword.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was expecting Jackal...

Jackal owns all video games. Man it was freakin HARD though. Even on MAME, with mad credits, I get spanked. Nothing worse than losing your big "X" rocket power and then encountering a gang of those slow moving, yet deadly little jerks.

lachesis

Knightmare II, by far, far away.

The_Maze_of_Galious_-Konami-_front_Japanese.jpg

with map like this with 10 sub-level with huge bosses, 5-6 different array of different weapon systems, with extensive level system and secrets gallore, it was the definition of ARPG.

My favorite 8bit game (on par with Y's II and Metal Gear).

lachesis

Mashing

That game reminds me of Goonies II. It also had a REALLY huge map as well. Had lots of fun playing that game.

Wasn't that a Konami game as well? I forget

lachesis

Mashing said:
That game reminds me of Goonies II. It also had a REALLY huge map as well. Had lots of fun playing that game.

Wasn't that a Konami game as well? I forget

Goonies II is also done by Konami. :)

Fuck, Konami was so god damn awesome on the SNES and NES. It's too bad they altered their focus when it comes to releases with the PSX and PS2.

Mike Works said:
Fuck, Konami was so god damn awesome on the SNES and NES. It's too bad they altered their focus when it comes to releases with the PSX and PS2.

You will get the wrath of many people, with SSx leading the charge. :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mike Works said:

A lot of them did

dock

I read a while back that much of the Rocket Knight Adventures team left to join Treasure (when they split), just before or shortly after completion. This would also vouch for the shitty sequel.

belgurdo

Banned
Loved this game back in the day.

Never understood why the difficulty jumped up by 300% when you got to the pig capital, though.

Sparkster had the requisite sequel improvements, but it just wasn't the same

I still love Gyruss. One of my all time favorite arcade games. And Jackal did rule.

For a time, Konami dominated my NES. Top Gun, Jackal, Rush n Attack, Life Force, Castlevania, Contra....it was like everything they put out was quality gold.

Not sure why people are bashing the sequels - they're both fantastic. The series is quite possibly the pinnacle of the "set piece" school of platformer level design.

Top Bottom