• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2022 |OT| It's Basically Our Oscars

Rykan

Just caught up. Agree with the majority. Elden Ring had this thing on lock since the day it came out, but Ragnarok was always gonna be a close second.

But indies got fucking ROBBED. I played every single thing nominated in indie and debut indie this year and Stray is handily the bottom of that pile. In a year with Vampire Survivors, Tunic, NORCO, Neon White, Cult of the Lamb and Sifu, Stray is a pretty bland on-rails game that happens to have a cat in it. It's not got 1/10th of the imagination of something like NORCO, it's not hooked the world like Vampire Survivors (should have won), not got the fluid gameplay of Neon White or Sifu. Nowhere near as bold as Tunic.

These awards are dumb, but at the very least I always hope the indie category pushes more people to playing good games, and they picked the singularly worst option this time. Shame.
These awards that are handed out in between advertisements are voted for and selected by game journalists, which are the mainstreamiest people of mainstream because that's the people who care about reviews. Stray didn't win because it was the best indie: It won because it's the indie game that looks most similar to a triple A game due to its production values.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Ok, overall I think it was a good show. There was a bit for everyone (except first party Xbox maybe?).

I think the long start kinda making everything later in a brisk pace helped it a lot. I could do away with the World Premier slides, the Hollywood people (replace them with people from the industry, make them a celebrity), and the live songs. Also, add the persons title when they come and get the award.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
These awards that are handed out in between advertisements are voted for and selected by game journalists, which are the mainstreamiest people of mainstream because that's the people who care about reviews. Stray didn't win because it was the best indie: It won because it's the indie game that looks most similar to a triple A game due to its production values.

Hard to argue with that when Kena won last year over Inscryption, Loop Hero, Death's Door, Valheim and The Forgotten City. All show, no substance yet again.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
JTYnlBB.jpg
That is genius

Teslerum

Sadly, can't agree with the positive vibes here.

For me still as cringe as ever, still overdrawn and still only the trailers being its saving grace. Meh.

Maybe I'm being too harsh though. May need to see it again without sleep deprevation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

SHA

I always looked at this show as one side turn-based rpg where they give awards arbitrarily without even questioning them.

SumJester

I wasn't bribed with a Steam Deck unfortunately, so i can safely reiterate my opinion that this is still an disgusting attempt to paint this medium as holywood's second banana, and i wouldn't cry if it dies one day.

Last edited:

splattered

IMO Tekken 8 looked really good but not as good as the initial reveal... i know it's still in development though. I hope they continue to work on polish along the way and make this game a real looker when it releases.

Fuz

Banned
I wasn't bribed with a Steam Deck unfortunately, so i can safely reiterate my opinion that this is still an disgusting attempt to paint this medium as holywood's second banana, and i wouldn't cry if it dies one day.
joff really disperately wants to use his daddy's money to build his own Oscars night. Pathetic.

Camreezie

So when do we think Advance Wars Reboot Camp is coming as it wasnt present again? My guess is April

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

Biggest disappointment is a literal no show by Microsoft Game Studios

They couldn’t even drop a new StarField trailer?

Like what is going on over there? No games in 2022 and hardly any games to
show in the future when thru have announced plenty of stuff that’s yet to release?
Money laundering!

Aaron Olive

Just caught up. Agree with the majority. Elden Ring had this thing on lock since the day it came out, but Ragnarok was always gonna be a close second.

But indies got fucking ROBBED. I played every single thing nominated in indie and debut indie this year and Stray is handily the bottom of that pile. In a year with Vampire Survivors, Tunic, NORCO, Neon White, Cult of the Lamb and Sifu, Stray is a pretty bland on-rails game that happens to have a cat in it. It's not got 1/10th of the imagination of something like NORCO, it's not hooked the world like Vampire Survivors (should have won), not got the fluid gameplay of Neon White or Sifu. Nowhere near as bold as Tunic.

These awards are dumb, but at the very least I always hope the indie category pushes more people to playing good games, and they picked the singularly worst option this time. Shame.
Key word you played, not everyone played every nominated game and Stray had mass appeal due to word of mouth, ease of access, accessibility and even local news coverage. I know why it won even though there were definitely deeper projects out there.

gow3isben

We all forgetting how bad Keegan-Michael Key bombed? I felt so bad for him with that mushroom joke and he knew it wasn’t landing but he kept going on with it. The audience felt like it was about to throw tomatoes

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Finally got done looking through all the important points of this. Main question is:

Where the fuck were you, XBox????

FF16 looks great, Armored Core has my interest, Space Marine day one.

So. OP comparing it to the academy awards means that the best paid out "nominee" wins? Just curious. Cause most of it was just as cringe as the other fake ass award shows.

Meifu

Geoff needs to step down as the main host. Hire a comedian who likes games. I'm not sure if it's ego but he's a much better producer than presenter. That being said this was his best energy I've seen presenting.

DragonNCM

I don't know why Phil Spencer was there tbh....0 MS first party games shown.
Probably he was there for MS gamepass add's...

Firestone

Neo Member
Great Show, suprised by Crime Boss.

Am i the only one who thinks that we saw GTA VI? There is no way another developer than Rockstar can get auch a cast with such a polished game. +the game looks and sounds like GTA.

Maybe after the leaks R* is fooling us...

What do you guys think?

TheAssist

Honestly, this might have been the first time I actually enjoyed watching the show.
Some good speeches, funny moments, awesome reveals good vibes and some cringe to round it up. The actual award part is still not as good as the BAFTA's, but it does feel like an event that brings big parts of the industry together, no matter if you are a programmer, designer, artist, musician, actor, producer, director or what have you. And thats kinda the point I think. Just a feel good, video games are awesome moment that lets your forget all the warring and shitstorms and simply enjoy your hobby together. For that, I really liked it.

Top Bottom