• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards | Streaming Live Thursday, December 9

makaveli60

Some good highlights, nextgen moments finally and a nice show altogether but I can’t help but feel that this industry is slowly getting more and more shitty between neverending political agendas shoved in our face, everything is generic multiplayer looter, shooter, rainbows everywhere. “Gamers are dead”, yeah, you killed them.

kyliethicc

Decent show. Long, but Star Wars Eclipse and ARC Raiders were both cool reveals.

Happy for the winners. Not too bad rito pope, overall.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
These takes in this thread are horrible and quite annoying tbh. Like what the fuck did you want revealed new consoles? LMFAO

Resident Evil VIII DLC
BotW 2
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy VIIR Part II
Hogwarts
That new Korean big assed chick action game
That Pinocchio shit
Silent Hill
Kojima's next game
Metroid Prime 4

There were SO many things they could have done.

If you're happy with drag queen gaming expos, pedo loli dance routines to K-Pop, and Sting's reanimated corpse, then sure. Show of the year.

Well firstly I don't think the Game Awards has any impact whatsoever on "what games Nintendo makes and publishes". They didn't greenlight Metroid Dread because of the TGAs.

Secondly Nintendo has had several games get awards at TGAs, and there's no pattern there based on gender. What are you basing your theory on other than "a game with a female protagonist won an award".
Did you just completely forget about Nintendo's whole thing with Bayonnetta 2? Game initally made by a third-party for a Non-Nintendo platform, a game that's nothing like a standard Nintendo game, is developed by a guy with an attitude Nintendo would not allow anyone who works inside their own companies to have, and doesn't really get enough retail sales to justify what Nintendo did for Platinum Games there? There aren't a lot of other logical business reasons to justify what Nintendo did for the Bayonetta IP there (There's plenty of other ways Nintendo can "Diversify their library" without resorting to the extremes they did), so it's almost certain that it was an "Award Bait" strategy, and as for how well that worked, well, remember the Spike Video Game Awards in comparison, and how they effectively made categories specifically for Nintendo games to exclude them from winning the "real" awards? For someone who effectively considers TGA as a reboot of that, Bayonetta 2 ended that streak, being their first GOTY nominee and the first time they got nominated in something where it didn't feel like the award was either "by default" or for a category tailor made for be specifically for them. Today, Nintendo doesn't consistently win often, but they at least get nominated more, even at times the nominations sometimes seem "token" and are for games that definitely aren't going to win.

As for using Nintendo's award history at TGA as reference? This is only the second time Nintendo's won the "Best Action/Adventure" category. The last time was in 2017, with Breath of the Wild (which currently is also Nintendo's only GOTY winner). Now, for that game at least, I would like to hope it won entirely on it's own merits, although "open world" is technically one of those "TGA award bait" checkboxes. (Note to anyone else ready to reply: Let's not bring up the optional Link crossdressing sidequest. I don't think TGA is that crazy.)
Nevertheless, for that particular category, that is not a lot of reference point for Nintendo winning awards. Their other notable award winners (outside "best handheld game" and "best family game" categories, since those felt like a "token Nintendo award" to begin with) are mostly multiplayer games with ensemble casts like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Splatoon - and they mostly won, well, "Best Multiplayer" or "Best Sports" in the early years before Overwatch, Fortnite and Among Us became trendy.

Woopah

Did you just completely forget about Nintendo's whole thing with Bayonnetta 2? Game initally made by a third-party for a Non-Nintendo platform, a game that's nothing like a standard Nintendo game, is developed by a guy with an attitude Nintendo would not allow anyone who works inside their own companies to have, and doesn't really get enough retail sales to justify what Nintendo did for Platinum Games there? There aren't a lot of other logical business reasons to justify what Nintendo did for the Bayonetta IP there (There's plenty of other ways Nintendo can "Diversify their library" without resorting to the extremes they did), so it's almost certain that it was an "Award Bait" strategy, and as for how well that worked, well, remember the Spike Video Game Awards in comparison, and how they effectively made categories specifically for Nintendo games to exclude them from winning the "real" awards? For someone who effectively considers TGA as a reboot of that, Bayonetta 2 ended that streak, being their first GOTY nominee and the first time they got nominated in something where it didn't feel like the award was either "by default" or for a category tailor made for be specifically for them. Today, Nintendo doesn't consistently win often, but they at least get nominated more, even at times the nominations sometimes seem "token" and are for games that definitely aren't going to win.

As for using Nintendo's award history at TGA as reference? This is only the second time Nintendo's won the "Best Action/Adventure" category. The last time was in 2017, with Breath of the Wild (which currently is also Nintendo's only GOTY winner). Now, for that game at least, I would like to hope it won entirely on it's own merits, although "open world" is technically one of those "TGA award bait" checkboxes. (Note to anyone else ready to reply: Let's not bring up the optional Link crossdressing sidequest. I don't think TGA is that crazy.)
Nevertheless, for that particular category, that is not a lot of reference point for Nintendo winning awards. Their other notable award winners (outside "best handheld game" and "best family game" categories, since those felt like a "token Nintendo award" to begin with) are mostly multiplayer games with ensemble casts like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Splatoon - and they mostly won, well, "Best Multiplayer" or "Best Sports" in the early years before Overwatch, Fortnite and Among Us became trendy.
Its not "extreme" to for Nintendo to work with other developers to publish things that are not "standard Nintendo games". Its pretty normal. They did exactly the same thing with External Darkness, Geist, Zangeki no Reginleiv, Astral Chain and Devi's Third. They were created to help diversify Nintendo's line up, not as award bait,

I think its fair to say that in general in the industry has a preference for open world / 3D action games when it comes to Game of the Year, and I also agree that "Best Family Game" is a really stupid category. But the purpose wasn't to exclude Nintendo from winning the "real" awards. Bayonetta 2 wasn't even their first GOTY nominee, Mario 3D World was nominated the year before and Skyward Sword was nominated in 2011.

Let's look at what happened the year Bayonetta 2 released (2014). Bayonetta 2 was nominated for two awards but won nothing. Meanwhile Nintendo won a bunch of other awards, including "Developer of the Year". Nintendo doesn't need female protagonists to win award.

And if we look at the Action/Adventure category in particular, we can see that both male-led and female-led games have won in recent years. So why would Nintendo think they need a female-protagonist to win? There's no evidence to support that gender had any impact on this.

Resident Evil VIII DLC
BotW 2
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy VIIR Part II
Hogwarts
That new Korean big assed chick action game
That Pinocchio shit
Silent Hill
Kojima's next game
Metroid Prime 4

There were SO many things they could have done.

If you're happy with drag queen gaming expos, pedo loli dance routines to K-Pop, and Sting's reanimated corpse, then sure. Show of the year.

That new Korean big assed chick action game? Which one is that ;)

Ebidramon

Banned
I admit that for most part I wasn't interested in new announcements, but overall it was a decent show.

The only part that I honestly disliked was when that one Asian guy (I assume he is famous) was looking at his phone, acting like he doesn't notice the audience.

Even if it was an act, it wasn't funny at all, and completely impolite.

Landero

Neo Member
1swvazos
Thank god for light switches.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think I've watched this 10 times since the show...

Most excited for Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild 2, and Space Marine 2

Top Bottom