• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Hacks & Translations Thread

stranno

9nfX6sQ.png
EnbrkmL.png
KQxxdmT.png

The amazing community of Anime Game Translations Team has published, thanks to Illidanz, the full English translation of Death Note: Kira Game for Nintendo DS, coinciding with the 15th anniversary of the game.

Last edited:

stranno

4755titlescreen.PNG
6457screenshot3.PNG

LostOkina has published the Popolocrois Monogatari II translation into English for Playstation. Random NPC dialogs are machine translated, everything else was translated by Wyrdwad for Gamefaqs in 2002. Animated cutscenes are Japanese only.

Last edited:

stranno

Of course someone had to do this:

6660titlescreen.png

The arcade hit comes home! Join golf legend Lee Carvallo, and his rivals Gracie Driver, Big Raining and Miracle Monroe, for the ultimate golfing challenge on your Nintendo Entertainment System!

It’s 18 holes of golfing fun as Lee Carvallo personally gives you advice on each course. Select your golf club, and guide your swing. Show off your putting and golfing skills as you play for the Tournament title in both the United States and Japan! Keep track of your progress with the included score cards and scoring pencil!

Try three different game modes - Stroke Play, Nassau Game, and Practice. Choose between four unique characters, all with their own special strengths and weaknesses regarding distance and accuracy. Play with up to four friends in challenge mode!

It’s the most realistic golf simulation 1988 has to offer. Keep track of wind speed which will affect where your ball lands. Watch out for water, sand bunkers and rough greens on thirty-six unique courses. Hit high, hit low. Hit with backspin. Hit a draw, fade or straight ball. Hit a power drive, but don’t go out of bounds! If you fall behind, declare “Press” on the last hole for a double or nothing gamble! Hone your putting skills to challenge the scores of Lee Carvallo himself!

stranno

yzawK35.png
yQBbqsW.png

English translation of JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze for Playstation 2.

Fixed bug involving characters being unable to run while not attacking.

2jT3D8r.png
Zu01rnG.png

English translation of Pipo Saru 2001 for Playstation 2.

This is an English translation for the Japanese only Ape Escape game: Pipo Saru 2001.

In-game dialogue, cutscenes, textures, and menus are currently translated.

Textures are currently only able to be translated on emulator. They will not be translated if you run this on an actual PS2.

f4b4nLj.png

Illusion0001 has made the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta for Playstation 3 playable again through LAN tunneling, patching the game. There's a new category for the game in XLink Kai labeled as "Beta". I never played this MP so I'm not sure what is the point of playing the beta maps and modes.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Those have been out for a while. (Still good to draw some attention, hopefully the Piposaru patch will be updated for the new version of PCSX2 as well)

Romhacking's database has been really weird lately regarding dates.

Last edited:

stranno

Jojo's is a new translation from other group. Pipo Saur is a new version from the patch, taking advantage of the recent texture replacement feature in PCSX2. Both were released today.

Teslerum

Jojo's is a new translation from other group. Pipo Saur is a new version from the patch, taking advantage of the recent texture replacement feature in PCSX2. Both were released today.
No. I'm fully aware of what I'm saying.

Jojo's has been released for a while now. Patch Version 3 was released on Christmas last year, the original release was in 2020 IIRC (It was before they did Phantom Blood). And yeah, I'm talking about Hudgyn's. And Pipo Saur still hasn't switched and is still based on the old plugin. You can easily check this by downloading the patch. It's even mentioned as such on the Romhacking site or the readme (which only has installation instructions for the old method).

Changelog:

• 8/10/21: V1.0 Initial release
  • 9/24/21: V1.1 Fixed typos, grammar errors, and added a missing texture
  • 3/10/22: Included the plugin with the translation

As I said Romhacking is weird about dates right now. Replacing the *release date* when its often *just* an update/modification.

I've fallen for it too.

Last edited:

ShadowFX

That, and hopefully Super Mario Land 3 will get this treatment in the future!
Also his projects are amazing and great to follow, he even upped the Kirby's Dream Land DX game some time ago showing it can be colored more advanced.

Last edited:

stranno

VlgrmPD.png
qx8eeKv.png
JllYQiE.png

New Game Boy Advance translation: Klonoa Heroes: Densetsu no Star Medal.

This is a full translation for Klonoa Heroes: Densetsu no Star Medal. All cutscene dialogue is translated, as are all villager interactions, items, menus, and shopkeeper dialogue. Players will be able to understand the game’s story up through the end, including the bonus cutscenes, with this hack.

See the readme for more information on adapted puns and profanity, as well as credits, and fonts and tools used. Player’s discretion is advised, especially for younger fans of the Klonoa series.

For best results, due to how the patch is implemented, it is recommended that the patched ROM be played on emulators like mGBA or Visual Boy Advance. A list of currently known compatible and unsupported flash carts has been provided in the readme - if anyone can verify that the patched ROM works or doesn’t work on a flash cart not on the list, feel free to leave a review, and the readme will be updated accordingly.

Last edited:

stranno

That, and hopefully Super Mario Land 3 will get this treatment in the future!
Also his projects are amazing and great to follow, he even upped the Kirby's Dream Land DX game some time ago showing it can be colored more advanced.
Well played :messenger_tears_of_joy:

XAYx4ef.png
YVXU9r4.png
157VS0T.png
9YWUy1n.png

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 DX has been released. It is not a toruzz work tho, don't expect the Mario Land 1/2 DX level of quality.

Last edited:

stranno

I finished SML3 a few days ago with the colorization patch, if anyone is wondering. It looks good but, again, it's not nearly as good as SML1 & SML2 by toruzz.

4783titlescreen.png

Zoinkity, the weird programmer that only hacks/translates uber-obscure Nintendo 64 games, has made a fully-voiced patch of Puyo Puyo~n Party for Nintendo 64, using the Dreamcast version voice overs. PSA: All Zoinkity translations/hacks, for some reason, require xdelta 3.1.0, so the bundled version with xdelta gui won't work, use the 3.1.0 command line version and the big-endian no-intro dump. Also remember to set savetype to EEPROM 16K if you are using a flashcard (ED64 or ED64P), if you select a wrong savetype cutscenes between combats don't show up (which is really weird).

QlVTO17.jpg

Ripper5555 has updated his (Alita: Battle Angel) GUNNM - Martian Memory translation for Playstation. Script should be 99% translated in the current Alpha 0.15.

Last edited:

stranno

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
stranno stranno great stuff, I believe you missed tokimeki memorial on SNES now translated. It is the "light content" version of it, but until we ever see a translation for the PS1/Saturn releases (these versions were expanded a lot), it is a way to see what the fuss is all about. It's a really famous dating sim.

Intersting to know that Koji Igarashi (from the Castlevania/Bloodstained fame) was the scenario writer for it.

Koji Igarashi (from the Castlevania/Bloodstained fame)
It should be noted that igarashi didn't direct a single Castlevania game, or a single game at all except for "Elder Gate" on the ps1 which nobody has played nor even heard of. Saying he's the castlevania guy is like saying Inafune made Megaman.

Faithless83

Banned
It should be noted that igarashi didn't direct a single Castlevania game, or a single game at all except for "Elder Gate" on the ps1 which nobody has played nor even heard of. Saying he's the castlevania guy is like saying Inafune made Megaman.
He was producer on it and Inafume made the better megaman (Zero).:messenger_sunglasses:

But enough thread derailing.

Yumimi Mix translation released today. From the SegaXTreme forums, by user "Supper:"
Hey, everybody. Sorry to be barging in and doing the first-post-is-a-project-plug thing, but this is pretty much the place for Saturn translations, so I figured it'd be a lot nicer to let you all know about it personally instead of leaving it to someone else to repost it...

So, I've just completed and released a translation for Yumimi Mix Remix. Download it here! Yumimi Mix Remix - stargood
The source code is available on Github, for the curious: GitHub - suppertails66/yumimiremixtools: Translation tools for Yumimi Mix Remix

Here's a video of the start of the game, which probably explains it far better than any of my ravings:

In a town somewhere in Japan, there once lived a very average high school girl named Yumimi. Together with her best friend Sakurako and friend-cum-crush Shinichi, she enjoyed happy if very average days…until one fateful morning when, on the way to school, she witnesses a procession of ghosts(?) crossing the street before her very eyes! And then in the hallway, a girl suddenly latches on to her, tells her she has to "go stitch the holes," and – declares her love for her!? Suddenly, Yumimi's life isn't so average anymore, though she may soon be wishing it was…

For those not familiar with this game, which is probably just about everyone, it's the Saturn port of Yumimi Mix, an adventure game for the Mega-CD by Game Arts (developer of Lunar/Grandia) in collaboration with popular shoujo manga artist Izumi Takemoto. It's billed as an "interactive comic", though I think that's rather underselling it -- it's basically a multiple-choice anime, with everything fully voice-acted and no text outside of menus. The original Mega-CD game was quite a remarkable achievement technically and artistically, boasting some of the finest animation seen on the console (if you've ever played the MCD version of Lunar: Eternal Blue, Yumimi Mix's engine is what powers the cutscenes). Much of the game frankly defies explanation and has to be seen to be believed; Izumi Takemoto's sensibilities are very bizarre, and I'll just say that things get very strange very fast.

As you might imagine, the fact that the game is basically an interactive anime with tons of voice acting and almost no text made it slightly difficult from a hacking and translation perspective. I built an extensive subtitling system for it that aims to make the game look as much like a subtitled anime as possible. It even includes some extras like allowing Japanese honorifics to be disabled through an in-game menu (please make note of this before complaining it's a "weeb translation"!).

This project has technically been in the works for most of five years, though only active for a fraction of it. I intially started hacking work on the MCD version of the game back in 2017, but couldn't find a translator at the time and ultimately had to give up on it. In the end, I never could get anyone else to translate it, but after years of studying Japanese, I eventually reached the point where I felt I was capable of handling it myself. So I did! I also moved the project over to the Saturn version, since it removed almost all limiting technical factors from the equation. All in all, it was a whole lot of work, but I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

Now, this is basically a one-to-one port of a Mega-CD game, so if you go into this expecting anything jaw-dropping by Saturn standards, you'll be sorely disappointed. But the Saturn version was by far the best option for translating it, so that's what I used. Try to judge it by the standards of the previous generation...please? :(

As a final caveat: This hasn't been tested on real Saturn hardware because I don't have the ability to do so, so if you try...well, good luck, and let me know if it actually works. As noted in the readme, I also didn't region patch it, so you might have to do that yourself depending on your setup. In any case, this definitely runs fine on Mednafen and at least seems to work on Yabause, though I didn't test that thoroughly.

Well, that's all I've got. I know it's not much as a Saturn game, but I hope a few of you will give Yumimi a chance. It really is an excellently made game on every level, and an experience like no other.

Last edited:

stranno

You barely see reviews on romhacking, but Wario Land colorization is getting a big review battle between fans and haters :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ogre Battle has been updated.

- Added the ability to skip the difficulty selection menu (hold the "A" or "B" buttons respectively on the Sega Saturn logo screen);
- Fixed "black screen" after saving in battle;
- Default flat map mode when loading a save in battle;
- Formatted text in the shop dialog;
- Fixed line wrapping in the current squad window (movement type);
- Expanded the window with the list of recruits in cities;
- Fixed incorrectly displayed character names;

To be perfectly honest, after three missions (a few hours), I haven't liked it much. It is a bare SNES port, so aside some cool warping effects it is basically a 16-bits game, and the battles mechanic is really bad. It's certainly the most boring RPG/tactics I have ever played. Of course the Meduza Team work is fantastic, but the game is just flawed, imo.

HootHoot has published a 4-players hack for the Mario Kart 64 Grand Prix, originally limited to 2-players splitscreen. It also adds music to the Grand Prix and a number of improvements from Hooting Time, a previous hack from the same author. The game really struggles with this mod, since not only it has to draw two more viewports (+3 AI companions if you play with bots), it also has to compute the music, which is of course done in software (N64 has no dedicated sound hardware, RSP does everything, graphics and sound).

paBPSxb.png
zzPLEzg.png

New Saturn translation: Yumimi Mix Remix.

This is a complete English translation of Yumimi Mix Remix for the Sega Saturn, subtitling all dialogue and music. It also adds a new in-game configuration menu allowing use of Japanese honorifics to be disabled, parts of the subtitles to be hidden, and the ability to skip unimportant scenes.

BcFcOAh.png

Nintendo 64 Wizard just released an improved widescreen patch for Wario World on Gamecube.

YQFG5Vm.png
rBi6DpF.png

IMPORTANT: The success of this mod running on emulators cannot be guaranteed. It is primarily meant for real hardware and you are better off using a gecko code for running Wario World in widescreen on an emulator.

ALSO IMPORTANT: This mod will not automatically display in widescreen, but rather, will “scrunch” the image on both sides so it will cancel out the forced stretch effect that comes with forcing a game into widescreen that was not meant for it. You will have to stretch the image in your TV settings manually to get the full effect.

Unlike older widescreen mods for Wario World, this one has adjusted culling as to eliminate awkward pop-ins on each side of the screen. Just keep in mind that frame dips will be slightly more common on a Gamecube due to the extra processing power required for the additional rendering, especially on the pyramid level. It still almost always runs at a consistent 60fps.

Last edited:

ShadowFX

Another interesting hack that is being developed: Super Mario Kart Deluxe! I would say this is one of the more ambitious SMK projects I have seen to date.

Brand Newman

Neo Member
Hello everybody! I don't know if many of you are still coming here, but I wanted to inform you my "Chibi-Robo English translation patch" for the Wii version of the game has been released!

The game is the same as its Gamecube counterpart (albeit a lot cheaper), except for some different designs (the Rangers, the Space Scrambler), and the fact that it has "New Play Control" feature!

As a matter of fact, it's the only game of the "New Play" collection that stayed in Japan.

The translation is not totally identical to the GC version for several reasons (lack of space, a translation that is closer to the original meaning, etc.), and I hope this gives you the motivation to play the game again, should you have played it before on GC!

Top Bottom