• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industy is in a state of dookie!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.

TexMex

While it is true that games releasing in clearly unfinished states is a problem and the frequency keeps getting worse, there are also more, amazing games to play than ever. So many I can’t even keep up. So whatever. Vote with your wallet people.

Javthusiast

Banned
It is a lot of turds with some gems inbetween. Don't support shit practices, even if majority still does.

The couple gems here and there are enough for me personally, because I still have a ton of games that I never played, movies, tv shows to watch, books, manga etc. to read, to occupy my time with.

giphy.gif

Next year is gonna be better.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yearly franchises?
I mean COD and most Sports games yeah.
But most of the big AAA Franchises don't come out yearly, I literally age like ten years before a sequel comes out, and that's if I'm lucky.
More likely get a Remaster 😂

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I dunno, this narrative tends to happen whenever gamers get impatient.

My advice is to tune-out a bit from whatever hype train is going on and just find something fun to play. Games are gonna be released regardless and if something falls outside your radar, the day the game releases will be like Christmas morning and you'll realize that it's not so bad to wait for something when you're not actively dwelling on it.

For example: As often as I post here, I somehow managed to be completely clueless about Elden Ring, I didn't know the game existed until like a month before it released, and even then, launch day was a total surprise. It's probably my GOTY. 100% unexpected & pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Brigandier

Gaming industry is definitely ugly right now, you bring up some valid points but if so many people continue to pre order games from studios who seem to always release broken ass games or reskins then that's not going to change is it.

I don't like MTs personally but I've always been a "whatever" kinda guy with them as I don't buy them, however fuck UBI for purposely increasing materials needed to upgrade armour and weapons and level spikes in AC Odyssey to try and make people buy material pack MTs I hate that kinda sleazy business.

Agree on the remakes... It's actually ridiculous, Industry needs to chill out on them and make new IP ( SE please remake Xenogears).

Last gen which is nearly 10 years old is definitely holding current (2 years old) gen back it's very frustrating, multiplatform games are so half arsed on PS5/XSX imo, Just make it run 60fps and up the res and done it's fucking lazy.... I hope by end of next year there's enough PS5 and XSX out there for PS4 and Xbone to finally die.

I'm sick of hearing COVID this COVID that about games being on last gen still and studios are hurting, lolno it's just profit and not giving a fuck about Innovation.

However I'm also currently burned out with gaming enormously after doing a play through of XC1 then putting 100 hours into XC3 so I'm a bit burned and negative right now... Hopefully my batteries are recharged for GoW and my negative ass snaps out of it 🤣

Radical_3d

Safe for 4X games I've completely left gaming for more than 5 years now. Part of the reasons are personal, part of the reasons are that the last good generation was the PS360 generation. Every now and then I indulge myself with a RE2Remake, a From Soft shit and a 500€ console. But are just drops in the ocean of what I usually was gaming before everything were a) a Naughty Dog wanabe or b) an unbearable open world design.

Bragr

Banned
I agree that there are too many remakes and remasters, but we can't cry too much either:

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Neon White
Total War: Warhammer III
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Sifu
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Stray
Windjammers 2
OlliOlli World
FAR: Changing Tides
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Strange Horticulture
V Rising

And that's just from the top of my head. Although the previous generation seemed more interesting, and the generation before that, 360/PS3, was considerably better. It's not a good trend.

-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
Oh look another indie pusher, if you think AAA games suck wait til you see the 50k shitty barely playable indies out there
Pretty sure I regularly see people complaining, on these very message boards, about companies like Rockstar taking too long

What AAA games come out yearly? Sports games? Call of duty? Wow what a huge list. Even CoD is walking it back to every two years.
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
Agreed, this shit needs to stop. It's been long enough, they can stream games if they can't find a console.

At this point, if you're still pushing for previous gen releases, you're a selfish asshole, fuck you, you hypothetical bastards

-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.

There was a user in one thread saying ths will only be fixed if we pay higher prices for games lol.

Meesh

I think... we need to get wacky.
If Nintendo...or anyone for that matter took Suda 51s approach but framed a game around a fantasy wedding that would be interesting!?

Part 3d platformer, rpg, adventure, Shmup, and racer? Like, you're on your way to your wedding, then you kiss the bride, off on your honeymoon?? Lol seriously. The photographer follows you every step of the way and you save your favorite moments. There could be a segment where you build your house, add in some crafting... you get the idea. Then replay segment for different story elements.

I dunno. Do something different?

Deerock71

You've solved your own problem. Focus on those that will be the NEXT Miyamoto/Naka/Kojima. They're not chasing the dollars; they're creating games they themselves would like to play.

MrJTeera

I think... we need to get wacky.
If Nintendo...or anyone for that matter took Suda 51s approach but framed a game around a fantasy wedding that would be interesting!?

Part 3d platformer, rpg, adventure, Shmup, and racer? Like, you're on your way to your wedding, then you kiss the bride, off on your honeymoon?? Lol seriously. The photographer follows you every step of the way and you save your favorite moments. There could be a segment where you build your house, add in some crafting... you get the idea. Then replay segment for different story elements.

I dunno. Do something different?
What if I wanna do more of the same but make it better?

I wanna remake GTA 3 but with System Shock 2 progression, and Super Mario’s tight control.

Where’s my producers at?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Idk man 2022 has been pretty stellar in terms of games for me, maybe step outside of your comfort zone

Horizon Forbidden West
TLOU (Yes I like remakes)
Sifu
Sword and Fairy
Stray
Anno Mutationem

I still have to buy
A Plague's Tale Requiem
Elden Ring
The Quarry
Valkyrie Elysium
God of War Ragnarok
Callisto Protocol
DNF Duel

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, it’s disappointing. You buy the new system you want to see games that impress, that are not possible on previous hardware. I don’t think we have seen enough of that so far.

I’m someone who grew up with NES and Master System and appreciate technological advances however this generation seems so far to be a 1.5 version on the last. Even Series consoles has the previous consoles dashboard with a few features sprinkled in.

The worst is people placating some of the crap you mention, like the concept of seller and consumer has disappeared. The tail wags the dog as it were, which has resulted in a lot of shite.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I agree that there are too many remakes and remasters, but we can't cry too much either:

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Neon White
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Sifu
Stray
Windjammers 2
OlliOlli World
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Strange Horticulture
V Rising

And that's just from the top of my head. Although the previous generation seemed more interesting, and the generation before that, 360/PS3, was considerably better. It's not a good trend.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

(fixed it)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Single worst year in gaming I can think of being a part of since i started gaming regularly in 1999.

There were some rough years (2006, 2014 and 2021 come to mind) but this has to be THE worst year in gaming in decades.

When it comes to AAA games, MS and Nintendo MIA as they are every other year. EA has had 2 good games in the last 3 years, but even by their standards, they have literally fucking nothing this year. Ubisoft surprisingly doesnt have their B game that at least has AAA production values this year either. That leaves Japanese publishers like Capcom and SE both of which took this year off. No idea why Forspoken was delayed. They literally have nothing. Capcom's only productive team is RE, but they said they would release pragmata in 2022 but that was obviously a lie. That makes it SIX major publishers ALL taking this year off.

Only Sony seems to have brought AAA games, but they are pretty much all last gen games that feel more of the same instead of setting standards like they used to in the 2010s. Say what you will about TLOU2, unambitious is not something you can level at it like you could with HFW and GT7. GoW could be that ambitious game but the visuals leave a lot to be desired.

From is doing what they have been for over 13 years now. I think its time for them to move on. open world souls is the best they can do then they need to move to a new IP otherwise they are starting to feel a lot more samey and Ubisofty. They were the chosen ones.

Whats sad is that 2022 could have been THE year where everyone brought new and fresh ideas to the table. 2019 was an incredible year for single player games with Control, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Gears of War 5, Star Wars Fallen Order, RE2MAKE, DMC, Sekiro all launching in one year. Targeting 2022 wouldve given them 3 years to deliver sequels to all of these games but aside from FromSoft, no one else showed up. Sony bungled Sony Bend and KojiPro. MS did god knows what with Coalition for the last 3 years. Remedy wasted 3 years on a trashy Chinese game for some reason. Fallen Order seems to be targeting March so it seems they used their time effectively but I will believe it when I see actual gameplay. If you cant release a gameplay trailer in 3 years of making a video game, you need to quit and move on because you fucking suck at producing video games.

DaGwaphics

Lots of great games to play on the cheap. Not the most packed year of releases, but we needed some time to work on the backlog.

People need to knock it off with the doom and gloom.

Everyone lost at least a year of possible progress, more for countries involved in the war.

It'll be back to business as usual for 23/24

In the meantime some of you weirdos can stick to indies, dunno who needs to know, but playing games nobody has ever heard of doesn't give you some sort of gamer cred (lol)

Aaron Olive

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Neon White
Sifu
Stray
Windjammers 2
OlliOlli World
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Strange Horticulture
V Rising

qTU1yok.jpg

GT7 is Garbage compared to it’s numbered predecessors and is an example of exactly what OP is talking about. I could go on a tirade of things wrong but we OG’s know
look-how-they-massacred-my-boy-meme.gif

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I dunno, this narrative tends to happen whenever gamers get impatient.

My advice is to tune-out a bit from whatever hype train is going on and just find something fun to play. Games are gonna be released regardless and if something falls outside your radar, the day the game releases will be like Christmas morning and you'll realize that it's not so bad to wait for something when you're not actively dwelling on it.

For example: As often as I post here, I somehow managed to be completely clueless about Elden Ring, I didn't know the game existed until like a month before it released, and even then, launch day was a total surprise. It's probably my GOTY. 100% unexpected & pleasant surprise.
I second this. 1st or 2nd year of a major launch I try to remain oblivious to upcoming titles and then will stumble across them when my wife picks one up. Some games I thought would be horrible in this day and age turned out to be amazing. Glad to hear you're enjoying Elden Ring too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks more like some angsty teenagers notebook than someone covered in nice art.
This whole tattoo trend the past 10 years or so has spread everywhere, so it's not just biker dudes having them.

You got tons of 20-30 year olds doing it for attention. And often women too with giant tattoos all over their arms and legs. I truly wonder what they will think when they are 40-50 looking like that with a family, or a senior citizen looking like that.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Next year is gonna be better.
OMG look at that young Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Anyway, I just came into the thread because of the amazing title. While the current gen has been slow to get on its feet (covid being one of many likely culprits), I agree that things should really take off in 2023. Looking forward to it.

laynelane

This whole tattoo trend the past 10 years or so has spread everywhere, so it's not just biker dudes having them.

You got tons of 20-30 year olds doing it for attention. And often women too with giant tattoos all over their arms and legs. I truly wonder what they will think when they are 40-50 looking like that with a family, or a senior citizen looking like that.

Some people, women included, get body art to express themselves among other things. Times have changed, grandpa. :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom