• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industy is in a state of dookie!

sachos

I get what you are saying OP, especially about GaaS type games filled with MTX or requiring online activations or logins, but what time frame are we talking about here?
The last couple of days i've been watching the Easy Allies GOTY deliverations videos for the last 6 years and i forgot how many great games have been released in this time frame. Its true that 22 and 21 seem weak relative to 20,19,18,17 though.
I have faith in the indie space too, there are a lot of indies and AA devs that are getting pretty good and are evolving from the pixel art stuff to pretty legit graphics too, and i think UE5 will help a lot in this aspect.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

This is what "online" and "digital" did to gaming, awesome, isn't it ?
poo GIF

GeekyDad

-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.
I agree wholeheartedly, with the exception of your calling out a particular publisher; that felt gratuitous.

But allow me to add a couple/few of important ones I think you missed...

• Gamers' response to these games.
  • Gamers buying/pre-ordering these games in spite of knowing they're broken.
  • Gamers paying for microtransactions.
  • Gamers signing up for services to use them.
  • Gamers buying cookie-cutter games.
  • Gamers buying such games yearly, or the same game(s) for various platforms.
  • Gamers buying reboot, retools, etc.
  • Gamers voting with their money and then complaining about the outcome.
:messenger_blowing_kiss:

The industry is shifting into phase 2, which takes ~5 years.

We're currently witnessing the last remaining crap to be dumped from its bowels.

The GAAS future will be glorious when it arrives. We are not ready for its greatness.
You and your online only future, Mibby. Let me frame a quote from one of the GAF wisemen:

inspiraquotes.png

All copyright for quote goes to the original creator of course.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I just watched these trailers. Some I already saw but man do I love gaming

Afterimage
Layers of Fear
The Gap
Callisto Protocol
Deliver Us Mars
The Devil in Me
Atlas Fallen
The Chant
A Plague Tale Requiem
Final Fantasy XVI

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No search results for "neon white" by "Gamer79"
No search results for "tunic" by "Gamer79"
No search results for "sifu" by "Gamer79"

It's not the industry's fault you're not playing interesting games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No search results for "neon white" by "Gamer79"
No search results for "tunic" by "Gamer79"
No search results for "sifu" by "Gamer79"

It's not the industry's fault you're not playing interesting games.
I feel like this is often the case with these "gaming sucks now" opinions

TastyPastry

i don't agree about those remakes. max payne 1/2 getting a remake makes me so happy and excited and i would KILL for a remake of the first deus ex

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I agree wholeheartedly, with the exception of your calling out a particular publisher; that felt gratuitous.

But allow me to add a couple/few of important ones I think you missed...

• Gamers' response to these games.
  • Gamers buying/pre-ordering these games in spite of knowing they're broken.
  • Gamers paying for microtransactions.
  • Gamers signing up for services to use them.
  • Gamers buying cookie-cutter games.
  • Gamers buying such games yearly, or the same game(s) for various platforms.
  • Gamers buying reboot, retools, etc.
  • Gamers voting with their money and then complaining about the outcome.
:messenger_blowing_kiss:
I agree a major part of the problem is the consumer. People buying the yearly Call of Duty or Madden every year. Madden has been a sorry ass excuse for a simulation football game for years but it sells well so EA is not going to change it.

People buying V-bucks, Shark Cards, VC, MUT's etc also ensure these practices will continue. I am an older gamer and remember the good old days. Many of these things people buy use to be free inside videogames using cheat codes. I miss the days that a videogame felt unique and fresh instead of the retreads we see by most companies.

Konnor

Indie games are fucking amazing, Gaben truly is our savior. Please neogaf, stop buying this AAA trash and play something good.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yep. Games take 7 years to make, get delayed thrice, then still come out broken and incomplete, riddled with micro transactions. Thank god for sony’s first party studios, play ground games at microsoft, and nintendo, otherwise id say the triple a games industry is completely fucked

EDMIX

Yearly franchises?
I mean COD and most Sports games yeah.
But most of the big AAA Franchises don't come out yearly, I literally age like ten years before a sequel comes out, and that's if I'm lucky.
More likely get a Remaster 😂

yup. Most of OP's comments literally just sound like neck beard shit....

"-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant" lol I see no fucking evidence of any of this btw.

We factually get more new games then remasters and waaaay more then remakes. Those are the most rare releases, not the most normal releaess and I don't see any data to support any of this shit.

I'd take a thread like this seriously with real data to back it up, not fake outrage forum banter. I like when someone is like "yearly franchises" and fucking names like 3 games lol 99.9% of the AAA market is not yearly IP releases. Thats like me saying all TV is shit like America's Got Talent and American Idol (proceeds to name 2 fucking shows) its simply some shit edgelord, kool wannabes say to sound hip and they are sooooo against mediocrity etc lol yet don't really prove any real, valid logical point. We have the data for anyone to really add all that up to see if it indeed is as big as a deal as some try to make it.

I simply don't see the data to support 90% of what OP is claiming and the rest is a subjective opinion on what they think originality is or isn't or something.

Agree on the remakes... It's actually ridiculous, Industry needs to chill out on them and make new IP ( SE please remake Xenogears).

Agreed with what though? Chill out from what exactly? So.... its odd for someone to say this and then say "please remake Xenogears", sooooo its only a problem when its not Xenogears?

So more new IP get made then remakes. As of right now with the titles coming out, Dead Space, RE4 remake, Last Of Us 1 remake, how many fucking remakes is even being made currently to say something so obviously false? More new IP was announced at Gamescom, then remakes that have released last gen or will likely come out this gen.

2 fucking games could come out that remakes and someone would say "wooooooowww chiilz out" and then 15 new IPs can release and someone will still argue for them to make a new IP instead as if that isn't already happening.

So you can look up this data for yourself and see how false it actually is. Even if we go by publisher to publisher, Sega remade Yakuza 1 and 2, you got Yakuza 6 and 7 and Judgment 1 and 2 (new IPs mind you) on top of Fist Of The North Star. Square remade FFVII, you still got FFXV, KH3, KH4 is coming along with FFXVI, yet you still got new IP with titles like Outriders, Forespoken, Babylon's Fall, Octopath, I Am Setsuna and many more

Capcom loves remakes like RE2 and RE3, you still fucking got RE7, RE8, DMC5, Monster Hunter World etc. So when put to real facts, I don't see anything to argue we are just drowned in remakes or some shit.

And most of these games are not remakes and Remasteres, yet somehow people say otherwise.

This. I'm glad I'm not the only one see this btw as I find people tend to claim this, yet never prove it.

Top Bottom