• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industy is in a state of dookie!

This whole tattoo trend the past 10 years or so has spread everywhere, so it's not just biker dudes having them.

You got tons of 20-30 year olds doing it for attention. And often women too with giant tattoos all over their arms and legs. I truly wonder what they will think when they are 40-50 looking like that with a family, or a senior citizen looking like that.
10 years??? Tattoos being a biker thing was like 70s-80s

Though first thing I thought was nice tits, second thing I thought was that these tats will look god awful in 5-10 years

Gamerguy84

qTU1yok.jpg

GT7 is Garbage compared to it’s numbered predecessors and is an example of exactly what OP is talking about. I could go on a tirade of things wrong but we OG’s know
look-how-they-massacred-my-boy-meme.gif

I had to go to metacritic to verify that. JFC the console war is real. Im just about done interacting with other gamers. Theyve massacred this hobby.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
"As physical sporting events were put on hold and brick-and-mortar stores closed their doors, digital entertainment alternatives ranging from Fortnite to Animal Crossing provided consumers the ability to hone electronic communication skills and expand virtual cities and islands."
- Some industry analyst

"Games industry is big doo doo!"
- Gamer79 on GAF

Fbh

You guys are overdramatic.
This year wasn't great but I had a blast with Elden Ring and I'm enjoying catching up with some releases from last year like Returnal, Guardians of the Galaxy, It takes Two and Psychonauts 2. Not to mention some lower scale stuff like Sifu, Stray and Tunic.

Next year is looking awesome too.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

The ugly practices you talk about are real enough but they're persisting because people are still buying those products. There isn't as much mid-tier competition anymore which is frustrating and where I feel the change the most. Fortunately the indie scene has been on fire for several years now and it isn't going anywhere soon.

JayK47

I would tend to agree. There are plenty of games to play though, but so many are sequels and remakes/reboots/etc. Take The Last of Us. About to release a remake after a remaster. So that is 3 versions of a single game. Shit is getting out of hand and people will happily buy these games 2 plus times. And if you are a developer, why make a new IP when people trip over themselves to buy remakes, reboots and sequels. So much easier to shit that out and more profitable.

OP get out of your comfort zone is all I will say.

Subscribe to one of services (gamepass or ps+ extra) and check out stuff you have never tried before. Supplement your SP games with a few Coop games and Halo Infinite sessions every now and then.

You will enjoy it.

Until I've played every good game made up to now I have no reason to piss and moan about having nothing new to play.

I've played as many games as I have been able to with the time available since the mid-80's. I could play video games for every waking moment for the rest of my life and maybe have time to play a small fraction of the good games already available.

If you don't like the stuff coming out, look back. There are entire series of games you haven't touched that will be entirely different from what you've already tried. I've been playing a ton of 8 and 16-bit games lately as well as trying games I skipped on in the past and I've been enjoying it thoroughly.

radewagon

-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Feels like it has been like this for a while. I really dislike that some devs want you to create separate accounts for various services just to play their games though. No thank you.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Was it buggy, or just lazy? Cause I can live with 'just lazy'.
One third of that lazy product is still better than most stuff coming out today.
Well, maybe not Sunshine, but the other two thirds? Gaming bliss.

I was gonna reply to OP saying that lots of games released full of bugs even in the old times and would never get fixed, that (nearly) yearly iterations of successful IPs are a thing that goes way back, and that originality was pretty scarce too with most devs following trends (in the mid-90s everything was either a platformer, a Street Fighter clone, a Doom clone, or a sports game).
But it’s true, in the past we didn’t have microtransactions or mandatory logins, and cross-gen titles weren’t really a thing ‘cuz the power gap was so vast, a game with the same title would often be a completely different game between the new console and the old one.

laynelane

Feels like it has been like this for a while. I really dislike that some devs want you to create separate accounts for various services just to play their games though. No thank you.

The first time I ran into that was way back when I bought Dead Space 3 to play with a pal on PS3. I had to make an account to play this game I purchased and it was the same for Sims 3 which my friend played. It, among other things, permanently turned me off EA games and I've never run into it with any other titles I've purchased. If I did, I'd rather not play than jump through hoops to play a game I paid for.

I definitely see where the OP is coming from. I truly think gaming is truly heading towards a dark path. Live service, endless greed, multiplayer focused, subscriptions, streaming, price increases, buggy releases, broken games, less creativity, risks and innovation, etc. Sure, there are and will always be good games, but I just feel a shift in the quality of the games and less passion. Before it was how can we create the best game possible? Not it’s, how much money can we milk from the gamers, chasing trends and we’ll fix it later. How many broken, disappointing major games have we seen in the last few years for example?

Last edited:

Arcadialane

playstation/xbox has stagnated since end of ps3/360 days, but nintendo games continues to get better and better.

Last edited:

Xeaker

-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.

1YHJQIu.jpg

You'll play nothing and be happy

It's a strange crossroad in gaming where the cost and time to make a game are too much. I can only see AI being trained to do away with most of the tedium that can be easily adjusted and steered by a team of humans solving the problem.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nah, just buy a switch. All the stellar games are made by/with Nintendo these days.
Yeah! Enjoy the endless stream of first party, fresh, newly games not remastered from previous generations with the most variable and less repetitive catalog in the industry

Go for it

Yeah! Enjoy the endless stream of first party, fresh, newly games not remastered from previous generations with the most variable and less repetitive catalog in the industry

Go for it
Metroid Dread, Xenoblade Chronocles 3, Splatoon 3.

Granted, all sequels that build on concepts you’ve seen before, but all varied with new elements in their own right. If someone bought a Switch today and those three games they’d have a unique gaming experience while still beating the gripes expressed in this thread.

*Note Splatoon 3 comes out Sept. 9th. Go preorder it.

Last edited:

kyussman

I'm really struggling with if I want to continue gaming right now and I haven't since last June.I want to game in theory but everything about where gaming is going is putting me off lately.I stopped gaming because I had got through my PS4 backlog and couldn't get my hands on a PS5......now I can get my hands on a PS5(and Xbox SX),but I can't find the enthusiasm to bother.The only game that has come out since I stopped gaming that I feel I would like to play is Demon's Souls and that is an old ass game that got remade......it kind of says it all really,lol.

I think this year is great and full of interesting releases, and I'm already on track to finish at least 30 titles.

Why is 2022 worse than previous years when we have:

Elden Ring - one of the highest rated games in history
Horizon Forbidden West - a great sequel to a highly acclaimed Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo 7
Dying Light 2
Pokemon Legends Arceus
LEGO Skywalker Saga
Ghostwire Tokyo
Total War Warhammer 3
Xenoblade 3
Live a Live
Triangle Strategy
The Quarry
Tiny Tina's Wonderland

Not to mention a plethora of phenomenal Indie or AA games like:
Sifu
Neon White
Tunic
OlliOlli World
Nobody Saves the World
Stray
Norco
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Warhammer Deamonhunters
Two Point Campus

Then you have upcoming releases such as:

God of War Ragnarok - probably one of the biggest and best games this gen
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Last of Us Part 1
Plague Tale Requiem
Callisto Protocol
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Pentiment
Dark Pictures: Devil in Me
Evil West
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Evil West
Immortality
Return to Monkey Island
Metal Hellsinger

Like how is 2022 as bad as you guys suggest and in what way was 2021/20/19/18 etc better?

And most of these games are not remakes and Remasteres, yet somehow people say otherwise.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Gaming is too big, too successful and controlled by heartless people who don't care about gaming. There are a lot of shady things happening and changes which are not for the better. Every now and then we are lucky to get something as special as Elden Ring or God of War. I fear what gaming will look like in 10 years. Yeah consider me ancient, I prefer physical complete games, my gaming spirit is stuck in the 8 and 16 bit era - when things just worked.

Thank God for Nintendo, god bless them. But even they are not immune to the changes, just look at their incomplete featuring missing cash crabs and re-releases. Everyone needs a piece of the pie, but I'll say Western game development seems way more corrupt and soulless than most in Japan. Activision is the poster boy of what is wrong with Western gaming companies.

Gaming companies have been given an inch and taken a thousand miles. Just look at Cyberpunk.

We are in a dark place right now, hopefully it gets better.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think this year is great and full of interesting releases, and I'm already on track to finish at least 30 titles.

Why is 2022 worse than previous years when we have:

Elden Ring - one of the highest rated games in history
Horizon Forbidden West - a great sequel to a highly acclaimed Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo 7
Dying Light 2
Pokemon Legends Arceus
LEGO Skywalker Saga
Ghostwire Tokyo
Total War Warhammer 3
Xenoblade 3
Live a Live
Triangle Strategy
The Quarry
Tiny Tina's Wonderland
You know how bad the state of gaming is when a LEGO game is mentioned a proof that it's been a good year.

That being said... I'd really be as optimistic as some of you guys. Almost everything upcoming points into a heavily based GAAS and multiplayer focused gaming future and if anyone expects anything less he/she is, in my opinion, being absolutely delusional. I fully expect games like Elden Ring to be something that slips through the cracks every now and then in the future.

And then, when everyone is sick of this trash and either MS or Sony falls on their face we'll go fll circle again with campgains like 4 the players and shit.

Almost everything upcoming points into a heavily based GAAS and multiplayer focused gaming future and if anyone expects anything less he/she is, in my opinion, being absolutely delusional. I fully expect games like Elden Ring to be something that slips through the cracks every now and then in the future.

Any proof of that? Or is it another case of "everything these days is remakes and remasteres", when reality is much different.

Some of you are so dramatic and pessimistic.

deeptech

True my friend, the remake/remaster thing was cool at first, now it pisses me off. Originality obviously being a thing of the past, everyone is copying each other and playing it safe, not experimenting or risking a thing. It does suck very much right now. 2022 will be the year of Elden Ring and probably new God of War, nothing else. Nobody can in their right mind argue that it wasn't better than it is now and by a lot.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Any proof of that? Or is it another case of "everything these days is remakes and remasteres", when reality is much different.

Some of you are so dramatic and pessimistic.
Do I really need to proof a push for subscription and service games? Every 2nd release is tailored around that these days and virtually every single game is supported for multiple years it seems. Everything points to a service games future.

This whole tattoo trend the past 10 years or so has spread everywhere, so it's not just biker dudes having them.

You got tons of 20-30 year olds doing it for attention. And often women too with giant tattoos all over their arms and legs. I truly wonder what they will think when they are 40-50 looking like that with a family, or a senior citizen looking like that.

Tattoos have got to be the single biggest way to ruin an attractive woman. One or two small discreet ones are ok but when they are covered in them it looks grotesque to me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Go for it
Yeah.. Nintendo is the only one not doing that excessively. They just released the best jrpg in a decade as well as two great Kirby games that are unlike anything else in the Kirby series.

On top of that you have industry changing experimental games like BoTW. I mean who else would experiment so boldly with one of the top ips?

Nintendo put out a 2.5d GOTY last year. I mean .. think about that. Critically acclaimed and a big seller.. 2.5d game!

I really could go on and on….

Anyone who thinks Mario is the same from game to game hasn’t played them, but that’s been discussed in countless threads so no need to re-explain.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
We saw this crap storm coming years ago when microtransactions first started. I stopped fighting it because of being drowned out by those loyal warriors that felt their chosen box/software maker was not as money driven as those other guys. I've adjusted to what gaming is becoming but I am fully prepared to bail on modern gaming and go full retro.

Last edited:

MikeM

We saw this crap storm coming years ago when microtransactions first started. I stopped fighting it because of being drowned out by those loyal warriors that felt their chosen box/software maker was not as money driven as those other guys. I've adjusted to what gaming is becoming but I fully prepared to bail on modern gaming and go full retro.
Get a PC if that is the case. Best platform for retro gaming. A moderate one by today’s standards is all you need.

Top Bottom