• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industy is in a state of dookie!

sobaka770

Banned
All media industries are in such a state - TV, Movies, Videogames.
Costs are skyrocketing, companies figured out the most efficient ways to make money with putting minimal effort.
Creativity is a risk nobody wants to take.

Last gen, Sony came out swinging because they were hungry. This generation is much worse and Covid didn't help.
There is creativity out there, in indie space, but as long as consumers keep buying Madden and CoD - what's there to expect?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I feel ya OP, gamescom has been complete shit and it seems we are still stuck on last-gen.

At least we still have the indies, some cool AAs and devs in multiple countries of Asia (not just Japan) putting out cool AAA looking games.

Also, the backlog. Between Steam, all my retroconsoles and some games I still have to play on my PS4, I think I'll be served fof a long time.

I do it for the nookie
Come on!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GT7 is Garbage compared to it’s numbered predecessors and is an example of exactly what OP is talking about. I could go on a tirade of things wrong but we OG’s know
I dont know if its garbage. I just dont think it feels like a true sequel. Very little upgrade in graphics. The new mode is basically what they took out from Sports. Online play brings nothing new over Sports. I defended Sports for years simply because of how PD completely revolutionized the online racing scene on consoles. I see nothing in GT7 that takes Sports' online mode to another level. it's more of the same. It's more DLC expansion than a true sequel that was 4.5 years in development for a brand new console.

GT is not a yearly or bi-yearly series like Forza. It's supposed to be once or twice in a generation event. You dont just tweak a few visuals, add a few tracks and call it a day. Every entry has to be genre defining. It's why they get 4-5 years vs Forza which had to come out with a new title every 2 years.

The poor user score is mostly due to the microtransactions which is a problem but it's the lack of ambition that truly hurts this entry. DriveClub, a 2014 PS4 game, has better weather effects, incredible windshield rain physics simulations, better foliage and trackside detail, and quite frankly, that should not happen. I dont want to hear the 30 vs 60 fps excuse when DC was built on a 1.8 tflops GPU and PD had access to a 10 tflops GPU that they simply chose not to utilize.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Yeah.. Nintendo is the only one not doing that excessively. They just released the best jrpg in a decade as well as two great Kirby games that are unlike anything else in the Kirby series.

On top of that you have industry changing experimental games like BoTW. I mean who else would experiment so boldly with one of the top ips?

Nintendo put out a 2.5d GOTY last year. I mean .. think about that. Critically acclaimed and a big seller.. 2.5d game!

I really could go on and on….

Anyone who thinks Mario is the same from game to game hasn’t played them, but that’s been discussed in countless threads so no need to re-explain.
Nintendo releases their games in prestige state with few to zero bugs I give you that, but they are developing fewer games for longer time on a very dated and therefore easier to code hardware... Nintendo thrives on maximum profits with minimum effort, counting with a very big and loyal fanbase, that are more then OK with their hardware/output

Dont get me wrong I have a Switch and I know the genious that can came from Nintendo and their developers from time to time, but to put them in a pedestal apart from the industry like they dont make the same practices as the other ones is foolish. Everyone of them (ms, sony, nint) do their on version of bad practices. Choose your poison and drink it

Nintendo releases their games in prestige state with few to zero bugs I give you that, but they are developing fewer games for longer time on a very dated and therefore easier to code hardware... Nintendo thrives on maximum profits with minimum effort, counting with a very big and loyal fanbase, that are more then OK with their hardware/output

Dont get me wrong I have a Switch and I know the genious that can came from Nintendo and their developers from time to time, but to put them in a pedestal apart from the industry like they dont make the same practices as the other ones is foolish. Everyone of them (ms, sony, nint) do their on version of bad practices. Choose your poison and drink it

Well said. Nintendo always get a pass for the same things the other 2 would get murdered for. The lack of 3rd party and the gaps between first party releases is pathetic. The hardware itself is a joke in 2022. Nintendo are stale as fuck and need to show some ambition.

Jeeves

Nintendo releases their games in prestige state with few to zero bugs I give you that, but they are developing fewer games for longer time on a very dated and therefore easier to code hardware...
Now ask yourself, does new hardware still serve a purpose? Judging by all the cross-gen stuff that's been going for a long time now, we're well past the point of new console hardware enabling new game experiences.

This industry might be better off if everyone stuck to developing for "dated and easier to code for" hardware. I could see console cycles lasting for 15 years before the next meaningful update at this point. That's just where we are on diminishing returns.

Sentenza

Joke is on you, wankers. I just spent the entirety of my gaming time in the last three weeks enjoying the masterpiece that is Archolos: Chronicles of Myrtana, which is pretty much the Gothic 3 I always wished for, and I didn't even pay a cent for it.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yeah i am kinda the same. I din't like most of the games this year. Only thing i really enyoed was Elden ring.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Now ask yourself, does new hardware still serve a purpose? Judging by all the cross-gen stuff that's been going for a long time now, we're well past the point of new console hardware enabling new game experiences.

This industry might be better off if everyone stuck to developing for "dated and easier to code for" hardware. I could see console cycles lasting for 15 years before the next meaningful update at this point. That's just where we are on diminishing returns.

Well that depends.. if you are ok with playing with low resolution and 30 fps.. I guess... if you want good graphics with steady 60 fps and some form of upscale to match the 4k tvs them we are not there yet ... but i agree that in some point enough has to be enough but we both know that this is not going to happen

reinking

Gold Member
Get a PC if that is the case. Best platform for retro gaming. A moderate one by today’s standards is all you need.
I've always had a PC too. I don't go balls out anymore on builds but I typically keep a mid-level gaming PC. My current setup is 5800x/3080. Plenty enough for retro gaming.

GymWolf

Is that a Sailor Moon tattoo?

655792.jpg
She is sailor uranus in the live action movie.

Last edited:
I just want more indie games. Shit is starting to get real good.

AAA is toast.
I think as the tools become better and cheaper indies are booming. We see the same in film. Equipment is so cheap that the barrier of entry is lower so we in an era where indies are far more compelling than studio films. In gaming indies are far more creative than AAA games. We get an elden ring every so often but a large portion of the best games yearly are indies. I just think in gaming unlike film, gamers tend to value the amount spent on a game. But the medium is much younger. But I know every year A24 going to drop way more compelling films than Disney.

Belthazar

Well, that's where consumers are throwing their money at... So you can't really blame companies for giving what the players obviously want. As for me I don't really care, most of what I play is not part of that circuit anyway

Aaron Olive

I dont know if its garbage. I just dont think it feels like a true sequel. Very little upgrade in graphics. The new mode is basically what they took out from Sports. Online play brings nothing new over Sports. I defended Sports for years simply because of how PD completely revolutionized the online racing scene on consoles. I see nothing in GT7 that takes Sports' online mode to another level. it's more of the same. It's more DLC expansion than a true sequel that was 4.5 years in development for a brand new console.

GT is not a yearly or bi-yearly series like Forza. It's supposed to be once or twice in a generation event. You dont just tweak a few visuals, add a few tracks and call it a day. Every entry has to be genre defining. It's why they get 4-5 years vs Forza which had to come out with a new title every 2 years.

The poor user score is mostly due to the microtransactions which is a problem but it's the lack of ambition that truly hurts this entry. DriveClub, a 2014 PS4 game, has better weather effects, incredible windshield rain physics simulations, better foliage and trackside detail, and quite frankly, that should not happen. I dont want to hear the 30 vs 60 fps excuse when DC was built on a 1.8 tflops GPU and PD had access to a 10 tflops GPU that they simply chose not to utilize.
I know, like I said we OG’s know what the problems are. And I could make a PowerPoint to list everything done right/wrong from launch to present day and I agree with you.

The poor user score happened when the game was down for 2 days straight in launch month because PD’s personnel in charge of QA didn’t do what they’re paid to do or inexperienced.

Then Mr. Yamauchi came out with this weak ass apology talking about we gonna make it right. I’m still quoting on that return to form from the reveal video.

In the statement Yamauchi apologizes for “frustration and confusion” following the bugged 1.07 patch on March 17 which resulted in the game servers being taken offline for 34 hours until a replacement patch could roll out. The patch also adjusted game payouts to make earning money a lot more difficult — causing widespread anger.”

Complete incompetence, this is a project that took 5-4 including a year lost to C-19 to make right without even having to start from scratch.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Well, that's where consumers are throwing their money at... So you can't really blame companies for giving what the players obviously want. As for me I don't really care, most of what I play is not part of that circuit anyway
Exactly, I personally blame the Gen Z gamers that spend hundreds on skins, battle passes and booster paks.

They are sending a message to the industry that this is what makes money now and needs to be shoe horned into every AAA possible.

Mr Hyde

I'm done with modern gaming after this gen. I'm have so many games to play, both current and retro that I'll be good until the day I die. This multiplayer live service bullshit that seems to be the trend these just ain't for me. I hope it fucking crash and burns and when it does I'll stand on the sidelines watching with a smile on my face.

Ansphn

-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.
Do you only have an Xbox?

Because we're eating good on Playstation & Nintendo this gen.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Mid-high? There is a much higher ceiling than what I have. I typically keep my builds at $12-$1500. I thought that was mid-range. I will add that I do wait for sales and no way I pay scalper prices.
I'd consider both your CPU (5800x) and your GPU (3080) to be high tier.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Mid-high? There is a much higher ceiling than what I have. I typically keep my builds at $12-$1500. I thought that was mid-range. I will add that I do wait for sales and no way I pay scalper prices.
Just breaking your stones. I’d consider your PC high end. Very nice system.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I think this year is great and full of interesting releases, and I'm already on track to finish at least 30 titles.

Why is 2022 worse than previous years when we have:

Elden Ring - one of the highest rated games in history
Horizon Forbidden West - a great sequel to a highly acclaimed Zero Dawn
Gran Turismo 7
Dying Light 2
Pokemon Legends Arceus
LEGO Skywalker Saga
Ghostwire Tokyo
Total War Warhammer 3
Xenoblade 3
Live a Live
Triangle Strategy
The Quarry
Tiny Tina's Wonderland

Not to mention a plethora of phenomenal Indie or AA games like:
Sifu
Neon White
Tunic
OlliOlli World
Nobody Saves the World
Stray
Norco
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Warhammer Deamonhunters
Two Point Campus

Then you have upcoming releases such as:

God of War Ragnarok - probably one of the biggest and best games this gen
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Last of Us Part 1
Plague Tale Requiem
Callisto Protocol
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3
Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Pentiment
Dark Pictures: Devil in Me
Evil West
Tactics Ogre Reborn
Evil West
Immortality
Return to Monkey Island
Metal Hellsinger

Like how is 2022 as bad as you guys suggest and in what way was 2021/20/19/18 etc better?

And most of these games are not remakes and Remasteres, yet somehow people say otherwise.
🔥 Bro I don't understand it. There's so many good games out here and there's even more than what's on this awesome list

Buggy Loop

All I hear is bitching here and yet the thread for Entropy zero 2 stayed with 1 reply, one of the best mod of half life 2 and has superb reviews on steam that any potato computer can run.

And it fucking free! 0$

Oh it’s not a cinematic Hollywood wannabe game with flashy graphics and a ton of marketing, so who cares?

You have your head so far up the ass of typical TRIUUUUPUuuuLlllL AYYYyAA developers that you’re blind to anything else that has some really good gameplay.

Indies and AA is where it’s at for a long time.

Last edited:
I know there are indie and AA games if people want originality and quality, but telling a casual gamer to play a 16 bit looking indie game on their new $500-$600 powerhouse console if they want a unique experience seemingly rubs them the wrong way. I know it sounds shallow, but that is how it is sometimes with gamers.

I would love to see some high budget games take more risks than just indies all the time as much as I love indie games. Then again, seems like gamers are fine with playing the same games over and over again, so who can blame the developers for taking advantage of that.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
-AAA games release with bugs or broken often
-No originality from the big companies. The indie side is the only one who does not put money first.
-Filled with microtransactions
-Games forcing people to login to a service to use them
-Cookie cutter games like Ubisoft products run rampant
-Yearly franchise games seem to be the main focus on AAA developers
-Over 2 years into the new console cycle games are still catering to the older generation systems
-Remakes, reboots, retools etc etc run rampant

Just to name a few reasons. It's ugly right now.
Been going that way for a while:

Sequels, ports, remasters, remakes, reboots, spin-offs...etc...... Just look at the big games this year:

Horizon Forbidden West --sequel
Lego Star Wars -- sequel?
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands -- spin off/ sequel
Pokemon Arceus-- sequel
Saint's Row -- reboot
God of War Ragnarok -- sequel
Kirby and the Forgotten Land -- sequel
Dying Light 2 -- sequel
Gran Turismo 7 -- sequel
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 -- sequel

You get the gist.......The only thing saving this year is the great indies : Tunic, Neon White, Cult of the Lamb....etc

The only AAA original IP has been Elden Ring......and even that is basically a spin-off in the vein of Dark Souls

Top Bottom