• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gearbox written "New Tales From the Borderlands" seems to be facing a lot of fan backlash

Doom85

Not really, but Borderlands 3 came out and only the two male characters introduced in Tales were in the game. The game had horrible writing, one character had a completely different personality and weird/dumb story line, and one of the voice actors was changed. The two female characters were completely forgotten about.

People were already not happy about that, and here's another game that either will ignore their characters, or put them in only a minor role. If the game doesn't do well or gets review bombed, I'm sure Gearbox will brush this off as "bigot gamers being mad at our inclusive cast," which is funny considering how many people just them wanted to continue the story with the two black female characters from the first game. Many of them also wanted to see the relationships or romance continue between the characters, and that aspect of things actually was a bit of a cliffhanger.

One other thing. For anyone thinking "Well borderlands games change the main characters with every game," while that is true, it generally does so in the SERVICE of the main characters, not at their expense. The playable characters in standard Borderlands games don't do a lot of talking, so making the first cast of characters NPCs in Borderlands 2 helped flesh out their personalities and continue their stories. For anyone wanting a continuation of the story that was being told, it made a lot of sense to do that with Borderlands 2. It makes no sense to do that in New Tales of the Borderlands.

Actually, Sasha wasn’t forgotten, rather there’s a letter that can be read saying she went missing, and Rhys is trying to figure out what happened. I had hoped a DLC would explore this, but apparently that didn’t happen. Really disappointed that Tales 2 will also ignore this apparently.

sol_bad

Not really, but Borderlands 3 came out and only the two male characters introduced in Tales were in the game. The game had horrible writing, one character had a completely different personality and weird/dumb story line, and one of the voice actors was changed. The two female characters were completely forgotten about.

People were already not happy about that, and here's another game that either will ignore their characters, or put them in only a minor role. If the game doesn't do well or gets review bombed, I'm sure Gearbox will brush this off as "bigot gamers being mad at our inclusive cast," which is funny considering how many people just them wanted to continue the story with the two black female characters from the first game. Many of them also wanted to see the relationships or romance continue between the characters, and that aspect of things actually was a bit of a cliffhanger.

One other thing. For anyone thinking "Well borderlands games change the main characters with every game," while that is true, it generally does so in the SERVICE of the main characters, not at their expense. The playable characters in standard Borderlands games don't do a lot of talking, so making the first cast of characters NPCs in Borderlands 2 helped flesh out their personalities and continue their stories. For anyone wanting a continuation of the story that was being told, it made a lot of sense to do that with Borderlands 2. It makes no sense to do that in New Tales of the Borderlands.

I'm really behind on Borderlands, I loved the first 2 games, actually replayed them a couple of years ago. But never played the pre-sequel, Borderlands 3 or the Tales game. This current trailer doesn't do much for me either. I personally don't see the big issue with this new game having a new set of characters, it's basically an anthology type series from what I can see. It's a terrible trailer with some terrible lines and it deserves criticism, but not based on it having new characters.

Maybe people can wait for the final release or more information to get more context?

I'm really behind on Borderlands, I loved the first 2 games, actually replayed them a couple of years ago. But never played the pre-sequel, Borderlands 3 or the Tales game. This current trailer doesn't do much for me either. I personally don't see the big issue with this new game having a new set of characters, it's basically an anthology type series from what I can see. It's a terrible trailer with some terrible lines and it deserves criticism, but not based on it having new characters.

Maybe people can wait for the final release or more information to get more context?
Oh, you need to play the third game to understand just how bad the writing got. And then you should play the original Tales game to see just how well written this universe can be. On the bright side, the gameplay in Borderlands 3 is excellent.

Doom85

Of the TT games I’ve played (Walking Dead 1 and 2, Game of Thrones, and Tales from the Borderlands), Tales from the Borderlands is definitely my favorite. Definitely check it out when you have the time.

Tangerine

Really? Who is attracted to the story of a screaming fat woman? I also like the first title of Tales from the Borderlands.
Other screaming fat women!?

I dunno. Certainly not me that's for sure. This game looks like another failure in the making imo. Hope I'm wrong but got a bad feeling, like when I saw saints row trailers and their cast of characters.

Gamers hate everything these days, so whatever.

I liked what I saw in that gameplay. Day one.
I understand where you're coming from, and I try to be more positive than negative myself. I generally do create more positive threads than negative ones, but seeing this trailer caused a fair bit of disappointment. There was a time I was very positive about Borderlands, and I'm still positive about a lot of games. This doesn't look like it will be one of them.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I thought 'fuck it, I will watch thr trailer'

What a mistake... you need to go out of your way to design such an unlikeable core cast.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
It's been a long while since I've seen a gameplay trailer from a major series that was so poorly received.

craig-the-brute.png

I figured the same trailer on the official Borderlands you tube channel might have some positive comments from people who are such fans of the developer that they're subscribed to their channel, but even THOSE people were almost entirely opposed to this game.

Gearbox really might have a big failure on their hands, here. It's been a long while since I've seen a gameplay trailer from a major series that was so poorly received.
Quoting this again, along with some recent you tube comments, since there's a new launch trailer. Again, taken from comments on the official Borderlands you tube channel, where you'd expect the reception to be the most positive and the game to be the most anticipated:

The fact Telltale is not involved should speak for itself.

Man every franchise I loved is going to flames rip in peace gaming

So far I'm hoping the villain wins so we don't see these characters again.

You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. RIP Borderlands.

It doesn't feel like a tales of a borderlands game. Hell it doesn't even feel like a borderlands game

the humor reminds me of saints row 2022

Borderlands 3 was a success because 2 was such a hit, and 3 brought over the enhanced gameplay of its predecessor. It certainly wasnt popular due to its annoying new characters/cast and over attempts at appealing to the current social media generation. The original Tales was great because it had an great cast of characters and an amazing story. This new Tales game looks like it takes the worst part of Borderlands 3 and adds it to what seems to be a story based on those attempts to appeal to the current social media generation. The result doesnt look hopeful at ALL.

These are just some of the most upvoted comments.

Say what you want about the shitty business practices of the old Telltale Games (it was practically a ponzie scheme ffs), they had excellent writers.

Last edited:
Just watched the video.
Damn, the writing and voice acting is annoying as f***.
It's like they were written by the morons that made Borderlands 3.

I will be bold and say that writing in general has taken a nosedive. Games, movies, tv. Sure, there are some exceptions, but for the most part, the writing is annoying in most of everything, these days.

Top Bottom