• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gran Turismo movie is coming in August 2023

ParaSeoul

What a steaming pile of monkey wank!
Reality Love GIF by Married At First Sight

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A guy who started in GT Academy came second in the LMP2 class at Le Mans. Several others have competed in real GT series racing - although with mixed results.

The fact though, is that these guys would probably have had the talent and ability to race for real, regardless of their experience with Gran Turismo. A video game can't make you a good driver in the real world, but it can offer those with skill the leverage to get into a real car.
Just like flight sim rigs. Professional pilots, military, etc, use them constantly as well. Same with professional race card drivers.

They do help you pick up on things you may have missed in real time, and tweak mechanics, etc. through meta data on the fly. Added bonus that is cost effective.

Last edited:

nikolino840

So Is not gt the movie....Is an esport player the movie........ Like the final fantasy 14 movie that the game reunite a father and a son

Blomkamp hasn't made a good movie in literally over a decade so pardon me if I don't expect him to make even a decent movie out of gran turismo lol

Wohc

Banned
Hard to imagine this being a good movie, but on the other hand it doesn't have to be. Huge marketing Budget + popular actors = profit.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
I have to give them credit. This is the first time my interest level for a movie adaptation has matched mine for the game itself.

AmuroChan

The premise seems interesting. Though I feel like this would work a lot better as a documentary. It'd be a whole lot cheaper to produce as well.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gran Turismo is the next PlayStation series getting a big-screen adaptation, but fans won't get to see it until August 11, 2023. It might be a while, but that isn't stopping David Harbour from hyping up the movie! In a recent interview with Collider, the star had some interesting things to say about the adaptation, as well as about director Neill Blomkamp. While Harbour did not reveal any new information about the movie, he's clearly excited about it!

"Neill is so cool and such a good director that it's really been a joy to work on this movie, and this movie's going to be... Talk about not what you expect, with him at the helm there's a visceralness to this movie, to this video game world that is so cool. I can't wait for you to see this movie."

Umbasaborne

Banned
I know this sounds like a strange concept for a film, but sony has been pushing for a gran turismo movie since like 2008. They clearly have alot of faith in this concept. And Neil is such an interesting choice to direct, especially when you consider that he was very close to making the halo film in the early 2000’s before it got canned.

Last edited:

tommib

They just need to have real races instead of CGI fuelled green screen sequences and they have a winner.

RAIDEN1

I just can't see how they could make this into a movie, is it going to be The fast and the furious Grand Prix edition or something?

Robb

Gold Member
So.. essentially it’s not a Gran Turismo movie at all?

Could still be OK I guess, but I was expecting something else.

The Fartist

Gold Member
So.. essentially it’s not a Gran Turismo movie at all?

Could still be OK I guess, but I was expecting something else.
The movie is literally about some one who played the game and got good enough to actually race in real life and win. I'd say it's a Gran Turismo movie, it's not like the game has a story that the movie is ignoring, like most videogame to movie adaptations.

Aenima

A franchise that never had a story....is getting a movie lol. At least NFS had stories before the movie, which was equally shit but still.
Movie is based on a true story. There was a GT Academy program back in the PS3 days, where gamers would qualify for a chance to compete in real races, driving the Nissan GT-R. This movies is the story of one of those players that became a professional racer.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The movie is literally about some one who played the game and got good enough to actually race in real life and win. I'd say it's a Gran Turismo movie, it's not like the game has a story that the movie is ignoring, like most videogame to movie adaptations.
Yeah, but that’s more Gran Turismo related on the side. Would be like making a Zelda movie about a guy who played Zelda and then became a famous wilderness expert or something. It’s so loose.

If the guy played GT he has likely played Forza and other sim games as well. I just feel the movie could be named after any driving sim IP at that point.

Not sure what you could do with GT but I’m sure you could make something that’s more true to the IP than this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, but that’s more Gran Turismo related on the side. Would be like making a Zelda movie about a guy who played Zelda and then became a famous wilderness expert or something. It’s so loose.

If the guy played GT he has likely played Forza and other sim games as well. I just feel the movie could be named after any driving sim IP at that point.

Not sure what you could do with GT but I’m sure you could make something that’s more true to the IP than this.
GT over the past 15+ years has been all about professional tournaments and holding competitions to become actual drivers. It is more than fitting to the series. I am sure there will be legacy stuff about the series in there as well.

Robb

Gold Member
GT over the past 15+ years has been all about professional tournaments and holding competitions to become actual drivers. It is more than fitting to the series. I am sure there will be legacy stuff about the series in there as well.
Yeah I’m not arguing the fit. I just think it’s a boring premise making it a documentary-type movie. That’s just my two cents though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah I’m not arguing the fit. I just think it’s a boring premise making it a documentary-type movie. That’s just my two cents though.
That's why the action/racing scenes have to be bad ass, which an early sneak peak it appears to be. Think Ford vs. Ferrari film.

Demigod Mac

In the very least it should be a reference-quality Dolby Atmos presentation, as Sony's films often are.

Ford v Ferrari had a pretty solid Atmos mix but it could've been even better.

Top Bottom