• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gray Man - Trailer (Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
People having a problem with women in action roles should really avoid Interceptor on Netflix haha

Oh no, why isn't she in the kitchen making sandwiches for her husband? :messenger_winking_tongue:

a movie that takes place on the SBX. I need to check it out.

Salz01

Only watched a third of it. Saving rest for tonight. So far it’s decent, I like the characters and the action so far. Pretty great for a Netflix film. Love Capt America chewing and hamming up the screen time. Lol

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Not great, not terrible.
It has some decent action sequences, but some FX are really weak and the whole scene in the plane is just incomprehensible.

Ana de Armas is hot tho.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I liked it. 8/10 Fun action flick. Calling dibs on Ana De Armas.

keanu reeves GIF

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Poop. Crap script and directing. Crap editing. Jumping from scene to scene. Lack of character development and story flow.

Wasted talent:
Ana de Armas
Billy Bob
Gosling
Wagner Moura

2 hours of poop.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
It was good for what it was. A generic action flick. What the hell was with Ana De Arma's hair though? What a terrible look, haha.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm halfway through this movie, just wanna drop by and say JESUS CHRIST the scene where Gosling washes himself. The dude is insanely ripped, holy shit.

That's amazing.

Movie is great so far.

Last edited:
Honestly, this might be the ugliest big budget movie I've ever seen, more like a DTV Fast and Furious ripoff than the most expensive Netlflix movie directed by the most successful big budget directors right now. The only thing it has going for it is that (unlike recent MCU movies) it does look like the actors are actually in the setting. The editing during the fight scenes is truly awful (more than one fight scene has cuts that either leave out significant movement or shift the perspective in a way that's disorienting). The drone shots are dumb because they are swooping and rapid but then it jumps to a scene where everyone is sitting still. And the lighting and colors are just all over the place; that scene at the beginning is particularly bad, but there is a problem in the rest of the movie where a lot of the lighting is this deep yellow (which would fit a movie going for an old-fashioned tone, like Captain America 1) but then they use all of these neon and garish colors completely at random. I recently rewatched John Wick 1 (an infinitely better movie than this), and that has a lot of rich colors too but there, it's used purposefully and it enriches the scene. Here, everything is just a visual jumble. And multiple times, the music clashes with the emotional tone the scene seems to be trying for (the clashes in tone are particularly bad in that last scene).

And they ruined the characters too. I've read all the books except the first one, and the Court Gentry here is completely different. It's bad enough they made him an abuse victim (I'm so tired of every Hollywood story being about trauma), but he's not even consistent in that. And it's so stupid that they recruited him just because he killed his dad--why would that make him a great CIA operator? The books are goofy and unrealistic, but there, at least there's a reason they recruited him. And not even the books would have done a scene like the Prague shootout.

Utter trash and a waste of all the actors involved.

A hollow film, with, again, bad CGI despite the astronomical budget. The cinematography made it look like a cheap TV film. Ryan Gossling and Ana de Armas had nothing to work with. The travelling shots were unnecessary/gimmicky. The hectic editing and the less-than-stellar sound design took away from the brutality/impact of the fight scenes. The movie would have been better if it did not take itself seriously. The Prague set-piece was fantastic. Chris Evans stole the scenes he was in...He had the funniest part and played it really well.
Score: 5.5/10.
Am I alone in thinking that Extraction with Hemsworth is a better, tighter action flick?

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

A hollow film, with, again, bad CGI despite the astronomical budget. The cinematography made it look like a cheap TV film. Ryan Gossling and Ana de Armas had nothing to work with. The travelling shots were unnecessary/gimmicky. The hectic editing and the less-than-stellar sound design took away from the brutality/impact of the fight scenes. The movie would have been better if it did not take itself seriously. The Prague set-piece was fantastic. Chris Evans stole the scenes he was in...He had the funniest part and played it really well.
Score: 5.5/10.
Am I alone in thinking that Extraction with Hemsworth is a better, tighter action flick?
First, yes, destroying Prague was fun. To the point, I felt bad for the city.

Extraction was much better if flawed as well.

Even the Ben Affleck flick Tripple Frontier was better, even if it was still more flawed than Extraction.

Majormaxxx

This movie is like the Star Wars Holiday special. We have Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie but this ain't A New Hope. 200MM down the drain.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I gotta say Jessica Henwick is leaning out too much. She was perfect in her earlier stuff, here she looked so frail. Maybe it was just the haircut and costuming, she looked great at the premier.

Jessica from Iron Fist
645i4u9.jpg

And at the premier. She can still fill out a dress a bit. Just doesn't seem as fit as she used to be.
tpngz7e.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I gotta say Jessica Henwick is leaning out too much. She was perfect in her earlier stuff, here she looked so frail. Maybe it was just the haircut and costuming, she looked great at the premier.

Jessica from Iron Fist
645i4u9.jpg

And at the premier. She can still fill out a dress a bit. Just doesn't seem as fit as she used to be.
tpngz7e.jpg
Weird critique. Looks nice in all photos.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Weird critique. Looks nice in all photos.
I couldn't find a good shot of her from the film. But she comes across as a scrawny kid in Grey Man which is not how she seems in her other work. Again, may just be due to hair and costume for the character.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Watched it last night. Overall thought it was just above average, but not great. The beginning was great, Prague was really good, but the plane and final location were lackluster overall.

Some good choreography throughout, especially in the scenes with Dhanush. Hospital scene was cool.

ZywyPL

Banned
It was OK, the plot/some sequences were rather silly just for the sake of plot keep on going, the camera during action scenes was chaotic, and the colors were off most of the time. But all on all, it's exactly one of those movies that are great to kill the time on a rainy Saturday like today. And I have to say that entire action in Prague was something straight from CoD, I fricking loved it!

SJRB

Gold Member
This was a great movie, I really enjoyed that. Just a solid action flick, half of it makes no sense and it is way over the top but the action is great, the setpieces and locations are dope, it's super fast paced, pretty much never a dull moment.

Gosling was great [I really loved how he got annoyed by his injuries constantly, the man has an amazing knack for humor and comedic timing] and I absolutely loved Chris Evans as the quippy douchebag. Ana was great too. Only "bad" side was the cliché evil CIA guy, movie did barely anything to establish him as a character outside the stereotypical "he's evil whooooo". And Billy Bob was completely wasted on this, unfortunately.

Some bizarre editing though. There are some very weird cuts and scene transitions. The airplane scene for example was an amazing sequence but the editing was a complete mess. I also really didn't like the overabundance of drone shots. There were some cool moments but they were way overused and added nothing.

Also - no closure at the end?

Overall a solid action movie for a random Saturday evening.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Am I crazy but was it the legendary Al Leong on the machine gun in the truck chasing the train in Prague?

I'm sure it can't be as he is fairly old but still, whoever that guy was he was rocking the long hair just like one of the most classic "bad guys just there to die" actors in the business.

1rqDZck.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
It was fine. Nothing remarkable, and even derivative to an extent.
Most of the action was solid, but the narrative and characters were by the numbers and very forgettable.
Some of those drone camera shots were pretty neat.

I have to say though, the visual effects in some of those set pieces were terrible, particularly in the plane scene and towards the end of the streetcar chase sequence.
Zaps all the tension right out of those scenes.

TonyK

I really dislike the piss filter this movie has and how Netflix TV show it looks. You never feel is at Bourne's or Impossible Mission level of quality regarding cinematography.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Imagine seeing that in the movie theater it’s worth half a Bourne movie I remember nothing from the story or plot one of the main characters was accused of something and all hitmen get sent after them, with suits thinking they have power over the situation.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Every action set piece, especially the scene in Prague just feels weightless and lacks any heft, it’s like the opposite of what Tom Cruise does in action films.

Also the sound design is awful, everything feels lifeless.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
When does this film take place? With the timeskips I thought it'd be the future, but it seems like the present.

It's present day. In the books the Gray Man is enlisted by the CIA around 2004, but by 2009 had departed the agency to be a freelance assassin. He has to save his old handler from Lloyd in the first book as well.

In the film they show him likewise being enlisted in 2004, but then lept to modern day.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched 90% of it, I'll finish the rest today. It's... decent so far. Enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously. I can't tell if it's purposely being cheesy or not. Like the one scene where Lloyd is like "that's not even torture, that's something I just made up right now on the spot" I started cracking up. I think it's purposeful.

SJRB

Gold Member
I watched 90% of it, I'll finish the rest today. It's... decent so far. Enjoyable if you don't take it too seriously. I can't tell if it's purposely being cheesy or not. Like the one scene where Lloyd is like "that's not even torture, that's something I just made up right now on the spot" I started cracking up. I think it's purposeful.

O for sure, there's no doubt it is deliberately goofy / schlocky at times.

TVexperto

Every action set piece, especially the scene in Prague just feels weightless and lacks any heft, it’s like the opposite of what Tom Cruise does in action films.

Also the sound design is awful, everything feels lifeless.
first time watching a netflix movie?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was a pretty good action flick but very by the numbers. Also Chris Evans seemed miscast, has he ever done a convincing bad guy role?
'Polar' is still Netflix's best assassin movie - give me more of that crazy fucked up shit than these generic actioners.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the Russos got too reliant on marvel connective tissue. They are quite good at action, though there are some VERY dodgy editing moments in Gray Man, but this and Extraction suffer from characterization and plot problems. They try, but the action so overwhelms the screen it leaves the movie feeling hollow. Somehow they also film a lot of stuff that feels like TV, not sure how to describe it.

Billbofet

I think the Russos got too reliant on marvel connective tissue. They are quite good at action, though there are some VERY dodgy editing moments in Gray Man, but this and Extraction suffer from characterization and plot problems. They try, but the action so overwhelms the screen it leaves the movie feeling hollow. Somehow they also film a lot of stuff that feels like TV, not sure how to describe it.
I agree with you on this. It's like you know tons and tons of money went into this movie, but it still looks cheap or tv-like.
It's like how Joss Whedon makes movies look non-cinematic - although I think Age of Ultron looked good for a Whedon flick.
Feels almost like watching a movie with motion smoothing on your tv.....can't put my finger on it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Although there was a lot of bullshit in the movie, which I only know because it was filmed almost all in Prague (yes even scenes from other countries, outside of that "castle") and Prague has only 1 mil inhabitants, not 3 mil...etc shit like that.

It was entertaining, but nothing special.

Watched it and enjoyed it for the most part, love gosling dry humor with evans being over the top. They wiffed on the hot shot bad guy cia director though, should've been an oldie with a grudge similar to billy bob thorton. The wife went absolutely wild over the tamil actor, apparently very famous in india.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Just finished it, and I really enjoyed that. The Russos know how to make a fun action flick. Evans and Gosling were excellent. Evans plays a good douche. I'm looking forward to what the Russos do next. Netflix needs to keep throwing money at this, because this and Extraction are 2 of the best action flicks on the service.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It was okay. Action was a bit over the top and there were some gaping plot holes. That CIA woman who had a hate boner for Lloyd was annoying as fuck.

Not bad. Just above average.

6/10

SteadyEvo

I'm halfway through this movie, just wanna drop by and say JESUS CHRIST the scene where Gosling washes himself. The dude is insanely ripped, holy shit.

That's amazing.

Movie is great so far.
Noticed that too. He’s in great shape. Maybe better than Ryan Reynolds in amytiville horror.

ShadowNate

It was fun. They obviously left it open in the end as a hook for a sequel -- maybe the (first) book it's based on was also like that?

It could use some better editing in action scenes and a bit more humor and more interactions among the protagonists -- other than Chris Evans who seemingly got all the good stuff to work with.

Top Bottom