• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gunk Xbox Series X Gameplay - First look

faisalasif

I got a chance to play The Gunk on xbox series x and want to share First look into the game

From the creators of the SteamWorld franchise - the action series that tells the tales of steam-driven robot adventures and that has garnered more than 100 awards and nominations - comes a completely new game, The Gunk, our highly anticipated Xbox exclusive.

Get stuck into The Gunk on December 16th - for anyone subscribed to Game Pass, it’s launching day and date on the service.

The Gunk stars Rani, part of our duo of gritty space haulers, struggling to make a buck as they chance upon an untouched planet brimming with life. They came in search of valuable resources, and it looks like they’ve hit the jackpot…

As they uncover the dormant secrets of a shattered civilization, they must battle the curse of a toxic gunk parasite, all while getting caught in a spiral of festering mistrust.

Use your trusty Power Glove to reverse the corruption, uncover secrets of old and heal the planet! Experience the evolving relationship of the crew, as you explore this unique planet. Use your ingenuity as well as your quick reactions to overcome the challenges that await. What stories lay hidden in this mysterious abandoned world?

The Gunk (Xbox Series X) 4K 60FPS Gameplay​

Markio128

I’ve heard good things about this game, but I’m not seeing the attraction from the video - looks a bit janky and uninspired to me. And that loading break was unexpected.

Kuranghi

Good: Great music, I like the way you scan things and pull things out of the ground and the general interactions with the world. Nice scripted metroidvania sort of adventure.

Bad: The MC runs like she shit herself (the crouching under things animation is even funnier lol) and she looks like an anencephalic baby :messenger_grimmacing_ extremely unappealing and freaky design imo. The story has that hilarious modern writing thing where every one seen or mentioned is a woman and it I think it comes from a place of "haha I've seen so many stories filled with men I'll make one thats all women!" and I think well thats just as stupid as the thing you don't like, congratsyouplayedyourself.gif, etc.

I take I need to buy this on the Microsoft Store to play it on PC? I tried to search for EGS, Steam pages but no go. Thats a major issue for me, I think I'll wait for release on other stores/platforms. Big shame since I really like the look of it and its only like 20 skidoos

Reactions: GHG
The same team made Steamworld titles which have been really well received, Steamworld Dig 2 was one of the best games of 2017 and they seem to know what they’re doing. This game doesn’t look much like the trailers from what I remember and it kind of looks boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
People actually asking if an AA, indie game is ‘cross-gen’ and complaining about textures not being up to the level of AAA titles.

people are weird.
All the Steamworld games are very small. But! They're all good, so that track record mixed with exclusivity has really hyped this one up a lot. But yes, people forget they are a small dev group and its their first 3D game.

Meh, this reminds me of that free game on Switch that was released by some bank called Island Saver. Island Saver might actually have more to do . . .

Great Hair

Banned
Looks like a copy of Luigi Mansions and Kena Spirit, but visually not on the same level. It looked way more interesting during the reveal. Thought this had some "pewpew" in it? Are they going to be talking all the time?

GHG

Gold Member
Good: Great music, I like the way you scan things and pull things out of the ground and the general interactions with the world. Nice scripted metroidvania sort of adventure.

Bad: The MC runs like she shit herself (the crouching under things animation is even funnier lol) and she looks like an anencephalic baby :messenger_grimmacing_ extremely unappealing and freaky design imo. The story has that hilarious modern writing thing where every one seen or mentioned is a woman and it I think it comes from a place of "haha I've seen so many stories filled with men I'll make one thats all women!" and I think well thats just as stupid as the thing you don't like, congratsyouplayedyourself.gif, etc.

I take I need to buy this on the Microsoft Store to play it on PC? I tried to search for EGS, Steam pages but no go. Thats a major issue for me, I think I'll wait for release on other stores/platforms. Big shame since I really like the look of it and its only like 20 skidoos

Yeh did a search and it doesn't look like it's available anywhere other than the windows store which is odd to say the least considering Microsoft's recent stance on giving people options on where they want to purchase their games. Like you, I'll wait.

Is it me or did I read one too many "theys" in that article 🤔🤔🤣

It's 2 characters I think.

EssentialMeanCarp-size_restricted.gif

Completely forgot about this. And scorn
Scorn is still on my radar; shame about the delay but I can wait.

I thought Gunk was cancelled at one point, now it feels like it's just getting a stealth launch. MS should give it a bit of a marketing push before release because it feels like a lot of people aren't even aware it's coming out in a few days :/

That's a game made for Gamepass if I ever seen one.

But hey, these type of games are popular on Steam, so it makes sense a few of these type of games would exist on the service to fill out some niche genres that scratch the itch of a percentage of GP users.

It's actually great that this exists, but let's see if the game is anywhere near as fun as other similar games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I saw the video in theOP and it reminds me of Mario Sunshine without the fun.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Been hearing about this game for a while, trying to go in as blind as possible.

Definitely doesn't seem or sound like the kind of game I would pay money for if it weren't already on game pass.

The story of MS for a while including first party games imo. I really would like to see each companies marketing spend per year.
Is this a first party game? I saw a comment complaining that this isn't on all PC storefronts. If it isn't published by MS Game Studios I don't know why MS would be responsible where this game is sold.

reksveks

Is this a first party game? I saw a comment complaining that this isn't on all PC storefronts. If it isn't published by MS Game Studios I don't know why MS would be responsible where this game is sold.
Nah it isn't a first party game. Just meant that MS haven't marketed their own games particularly strongly.

I am actually surprised that it's not on Steam, this might be first MS store exclusive. That would be an interesting move.

Nah it isn't a first party game. Just meant that MS haven't marketed their own games particularly strongly.

I am actually surprised that it's not on Steam, this might be first MS store exclusive. That would be an interesting move.
That would be up to the publishers I'd wager. Putting a game on Steam isn't free is it?

reksveks

That would be up to the publishers I'd wager. Putting a game on Steam isn't free is it?
Yeah, I suspect so in terms of being largely upto publishers. None of the other Thunderful games or Xbox Gamepass games haven't been specifically not on Steam.

Might be Thunderful taking some additional money to experiment on the impact of just being on the MS store. I also do wonder whether you can easily use the xbox networking services on a steam game and it might be easier to launch first on the MS store.

Last edited:
The story of MS for a while including first party games imo. I really would like to see each companies marketing spend per year.
Yeah, and it's weird because when they do put out for advertising for a game, they can do it very well. However it's safe to say Sony are a lot more consistent when it comes to marketing and advertising their individual games, their background in other entertainment businesses outside of gaming have helped with that.

Like for example I think Psychonauts 2 should've gotten a bigger marketing push than it did. Traditional marketing still accounts for a lot, even if social media trending and WOM is growing (and might arguably be about even with traditional marketing in effectiveness); they're still giving up at least 50% of marketing throughput on a lot of games by not pushing traditional marketing that much, feels like.

I mean you're right it's not a 1P game, but it's still essentially exclusive to their ecosystem therefore it's adding a unique value to that ecosystem and why not put the word out for it more strongly if it means attracting people to that ecosystem (and the service) who might not have noticed otherwise? Though TBF, they do seem to do this, just with "safer" picks; they did a good amount of traditional marketing for Back 4 Blood I saw a few ads on TV for that (they also tied GamePass marketing into those ads).

Would be neat if they did it for more unconventional games, though. TBF I also think Sony didn't do a lot of marketing for Kena in general, traditional or not, but we also know that isn't a 1P title. If it WERE, though, I do think they'd of done quite a bit more, a good deal more than Microsoft did for Psychonauts 2. That's what I'd like for MS to improve on: stronger advertising (including traditional adverts i.e TV commercial spots, ads rolled into film trailers at theaters etc.) for more of the "unconventional" 1P and 3P exclusive/timed exclusive games.

Last edited:

Neilg

Such a huge pet peeve with me in indie sci-fi video games is the characters all talking like they're 20 year old college students in a drama class.
Arent you all supposed to be professional scientists? sound like fucking interns on a coffee break.

Fredrik

This looks incredibly boring. I love Steamworld Dig 1 and 2. How is it possible to go from those awesome metroidvanias to this?

This looks incredibly boring. I love Steamworld Dig 1 and 2. How is it possible to go from those awesome metroidvanias to this?
Both those games probably never even had trailers lol. I can't imagine anyone thinking Steamworld Dig looks good just watching it. It's monotonous and repetitive, not amazing graphically, but just so happens to be a lot of fun when you play it.

I just think it's the kind of game you jump in and play and see how it feels. I guess we'll see.

Fredrik

Both those games probably never even had trailers lol. I can't imagine anyone thinking Steamworld Dig looks good just watching it. It's monotonous and repetitive, not amazing graphically, but just so happens to be a lot of fun when you play it.

I just think it's the kind of game you jump in and play and see how it feels. I guess we'll see.
I watched through 17 minutes of gameplay, there was nothing what so ever that excited me, I’m honestly shocked, it’s either the slowest intro section ever or this team has just rushed something out to try what Gamepass is all about or something.

I watched through 17 minutes of gameplay, there was nothing what so ever that excited me, I’m honestly shocked, it’s either the slowest intro section ever or this team has just rushed something out to try what Gamepass is all about or something.
I've only seen like 2 minutes. I guess we'll see. The game did get delayed once and has almost no marketing.

Fredrik

I've only seen like 2 minutes. I guess we'll see. The game did get delayed once and has almost no marketing.
Keep watching, I’ll be surprised if you like it, looks incredibly slow and no action, even the platforming looks uninspired. It’s like Kena but without the cute characters, nice graphics, awesome cinematics and you’re making the nature come back to life with a vacuum cleaner instead of fighting enemies.

Top Bottom