• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gunk Xbox Series X Gameplay - First look

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fun game to play with the kid. No more or less, honestly. Great first steps into 3d for Image & Form.
Yeah, it's really newbie friendly.

Extremely simple game mechanics and a cathartic 'sucking' game play loop to suck in all the gunk. It hits the sweet spot all those "cleaning garden/yard" games do for people.

BigBooper

I hope we get another 2D Steamworld game. The Gunk is a stinker to me. So slow. Cringy dialog. I actually turned the voice volume off in the settings and I never do that. Something about sucking the gunk isn't satisfying, I think because it's swirly and imprecise. The upgrades are uninteresting. The graphics are ugly with that blurry CA look. I was looking forward to it, but after playing I recommend skipping this one.

I hope we get another 2D Steamworld game. The Gunk is a stinker to me. So slow. Cringy dialog. I actually turned the voice volume off in the settings and I never do that. Something about sucking the gunk isn't satisfying, I think because it's swirly and imprecise. The upgrades are uninteresting. The graphics are ugly with that blurry CA look. I was looking forward to it, but after playing I recommend skipping this one.

feels like I’m having the opposite experience, the controls are pretty tight especially movement and jumping and sucking up the gunk doesn’t need to be a precise art as it’s not expected you get every molecule to clear a level

graphics look good to me, decent colours and texture work despite the slightly puppet-like characters and motion blur

it’s a solid, very light action adventure to me….even lighter than something like Kena but I think there are solid mechanics and gameplay here that can be built on for a proper sequel

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got through a bit of a dungeon area with some light puzzles. This game is good.

The dialogue is a bit annoying, but that's really my only complaint.

JimmyF

Awful game, terrible dialogue. Shallow puzzles and very short like sub 4 hours.
The game barely evolves beyond the begging hour.

Neilg

Thanks for posting this, saving it for future reference because the argument you quoted does seem to flare up every now and then.

One thing this chart doesnt take into account, psnow has 400 ps4 titles, but also another 400 ps2 and ps3 games - 800 in total. gamepass has around 400 total.
if you take just the ps4 games into account the numbers change significantly, with both of them having the same overall number of available games.
I think warring over this kind of stuff is stupid, that's why i'm pointing out that the chart is meaningless. statistics is all about picking your data to support the argument and it's so easy to make a slight tweak to that which completely changes the results. you could compare only the top 100 scorers to find out the highest average, or certain parts of certain generations, or discount historical titles and only compare new ones etc etc.

basically when the argument flares up, don't contribute to it, who cares.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Yeah, it's really newbie friendly.

Extremely simple game mechanics and a cathartic 'sucking' game play loop to suck in all the gunk. It hits the sweet spot all those "cleaning garden/yard" games do for people.

Yup, it's a zen game, it's hilarious to see all the people busting veins because they have to hate it for some reason. I mean if you PAID for it, sure but if you're playing it on GamePass... MOVE ON if it's not your kind of game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yup, it's a zen game, it's hilarious to see all the people busting veins because they have to hate it for some reason. I mean if you PAID for it, sure but if you're playing it on GamePass... MOVE ON if it's not your kind of game.
I don't want to call people liars or something, but I'm just genuinely shocked anyone is having that negative of a reaction. The game is super polished, pretty, and interesting. You're literally exploring an alien world and solving light puzzles. It's been 100% enjoyable except for the dialogue being a little annoying. And I definitely am not sub-4 hours on my playthrough. Makes me think people are literally sprinting at max speed through the entire game without even slightly looking around.

Chukhopops

One thing this chart doesnt take into account, psnow has 400 ps4 titles, but also another 400 ps2 and ps3 games - 800 in total. gamepass has around 400 total.
if you take just the ps4 games into account the numbers change significantly, with both of them having the same overall number of available games.
I think warring over this kind of stuff is stupid, that's why i'm pointing out that the chart is meaningless. statistics is all about picking your data to support the argument and it's so easy to make a slight tweak to that which completely changes the results. you could compare only the top 100 scorers to find out the highest average, or certain parts of certain generations, or discount historical titles and only compare new ones etc etc.

basically when the argument flares up, don't contribute to it, who cares.
Average MC of PSNow PS4 games: 65.01
Average MC of PSNow PS3 games: 62.71

So it doesn’t really change much to the average MC if you include only PS4, it increases slightly. In fact the majority of 80+ games on PSNow are PS3 or PS2 (99 on PS3, 80 on PS4).

I know it’s off topic but I just wanted to address it since I made the original chart (it’s a few months old now actually).

Also it would make no sense to compare averages if you were to arbitrarily exclude some parts of the catalog, that’s the whole point of an average.

Just completed this. Quite a cool little chilled game. Only 5 hours or so but worth a play through. The Art style is really nice too

I enjoyed it also . My only complaint is the last level is a bit monotonous in terms of what you are doing, going up in the elevator facing the same enemies constantly drags on far too long for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been playing through it and it makes me want to keep pushing to the next area. The voice acting is hokey and amateurish but not the worst I've seen.

Careful certain people here REALLY hate this game for some unknown and completely unpredictable reason.
Because it's not very good?

I haven't found people who HATE the game, like you believe (from your console war perspective), but most agree, it's mediocre, at best and just move on to better things.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Probably the worst game I have played this year. Not sure how this dev made this game.

intbal

The basic gameplay is fun. The game art is nice. It's short and free (on gamepass). It serves a specific need.

The characters are nearly unbearable.

cormack12

Gold Member
The basic gameplay is fun. The game art is nice. It's short and free (on gamepass). It serves a specific need.

The characters are nearly unbearable.

I think the story tried too hard to inject conflict then have a big triumphant finish. In reality had Becks just crash landed with a broken leg it would have been just as good.

Top Bottom