• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo Infinite (campaign) Metascore prediction thread...

What's your Halo Infinite Metascore prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
AntiqueBriskFennecfox-size_restricted.gif

The Halo Infinite campaign releases in 3 days (Dec 8th) and reviews should be out even sooner.

What do you think the campaign Metascore settles on a couple of weeks after release (Dec 22)?

images

reksveks

I voted 86-87, think the campaign soundtrack is going to be a highlight.

PS I haven't listened to the leaked YouTube video yet.

Last edited:
86-87, a game has to get almost no mediocre scores to get a 90+ and theres too much room for error with semi-open world halo.

The eurogamer preview impression is gonna be how a lot of outlets feel about it. Especially if what they’ve shown so far is the brunt of the entire campaign. As it stands right now its gonna get docked points for outpost clearing being the majority of quest, lack of biome diversity, lackluster story , graphically last gen, and all the issues with the multiplayer playlist and progression.

The core halo shooter gameplay is what will save it

Last edited:

Fredrik

84-85
We’ll see lots of high scores but also low reactionary scores from disappointed fans who wanted to play co-op.

Fredrik

I already saw skillup say the thing he wished the game had to make the open world feel better was co-op
Yeah. It doesn’t matter that most games don’t have co-op, from a Halo fan’s perspective something has been taken away from the game they’ve been looking forward to for so long. It’ll show in the scores. It’ll be interesting to see how important they think it was.

And as always with critics, they still only rate the day 0 version, they haven’t adapted to this new thing of post-launch evolving games, so whatever get’s added later won’t affect the score.

I still think most will rate it 8 at the lowest so it’ll sit at the mid 80s.

Sakura

Based on what I've seen from the previews and stuff, it looks like the best game 343 has put out. Considering Halo 4 managed to get an 87, I think 90+ is within the realm of possibility. Depends how the rest of the game holds up outside of the early preview. If you have to spend a lot of time in the open world doing the same FOB captures etc over and over, if the linear more Halo style missions like in the preview build are few and far between, if the story is unfinished because it is a 10 year platform, then I could see it getting a lower score.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Picked 88-89, but wouldnt be surprised if it hangs around the 84-85 range. With this being the first open world Halo, i can see teething problems, while overall still being a fantstic game.

Also what if reviewers will be reviewing the MP too, in one review. That could send the score higher than peorple think as the MP is well awesome.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Picked 88-89, but wouldnt be surprised if it hangs around the 84-85 range. With this being the first open world Halo, i can see teething problems, while overall still being a fantstic game.

Also what if reviewers will be reviewing the MP too, in one review. That could send the score higher than peorple think as the MP is well awesome.
this right here. obviously im all in and hope it is an amazing game that warrents high scores but i think 88-89 will be where it ends up.

The preload was less than 30GB.
I dont see much content packed into that.

Play through one and done in less than a week.
8 hours?
Master Chief, Grumpy Beard, Blue Holo, and Big daddy craig who likes to monologue.
4 characters. One big broken Halo ring.
500 million spent.
I expect a solid B- 78 metacritic.

Dolodolo

People who vote for ratings around 90.
Can you explain on the basis of what points she will receive such an assessment at all?

343 did not make a single intelligible plot. Here, too, he looks like the Expendables with a clichéd villain who doesn't appeal in any way.

Technologically, this game is rubbish (sorry everyone who cares about this)
There is absolutely nothing in it that can be distinguished and Alex from DF has already said that their technical review will be very pessimistic.

From the point of view of art and design, the location is terribly boring. There won't be any biomes except one.
Even Returnal with its swamps and so on looked more interesting.

The structure of the world also does not look very interesting yet. Outposts, outposts, outposts.

Of the obvious advantages - shooting. She is really good (I played multiplayer) and also the cat hook that is everywhere now.

Now tell me, on what basis should this game get around 90 points?

anthony2690

Banned
I'm going to say 90-91, especially as review embargo ends two days before the game release.

I assume publishers have an idea of review scores when settings embargo dates right?

8 hours?
Master Chief, Grumpy Beard, Blue Holo, and Big daddy craig who likes to monologue.
500 million spent.
why did you even bother pre ordering it. doesn't sound like you will enjoy it or give it a fair shot.

I expect a few tens, a lot of 9s and 8s, and a few 7s, 6s, 5s, and even 4s. The latter will pull the average down to 86.

Fredrik

Based on what I've seen from the previews and stuff, it looks like the best game 343 has put out. Considering Halo 4 managed to get an 87, I think 90+ is within the realm of possibility. Depends how the rest of the game holds up outside of the early preview. If you have to spend a lot of time in the open world doing the same FOB captures etc over and over, if the linear more Halo style missions like in the preview build are few and far between, if the story is unfinished because it is a 10 year platform, then I could see it getting a lower score.
Halo 4 was great, I never touched the mp but the story was really well-made and it was the first Halo I finished, it deserved the score imo. On 360 it was at the very top on visuals too.

I think Halo Infinite will have to come with some surprises to have the same score, from what I saw in the mp the visuals don’t impress but maybe the story is good, the gameplay feels super solid though and open-world gameplay combined with the grappling hook could be really really cool if the exploration is rewarding.

Without great exploration rewards the open map will be an annoyingly large and boring map, this is what most devs except the liked of Nintendo and Bethesda don’t understand. But if they pull off great exploration then we could see 9s all over the place. We’ll see.

aries_71

I expect a few tens, a lot of 9s and 8s, and a few 7s, 6s, 5s, and even 4s. The latter will pull the average down to 86.
I never understood how does Metascore factor in reviews. How do they decide to put a 4 score outlier or discard it?
Is it random from a pool of reviews? Or do they manually select what to factor in?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I haven't watched any of the preview videos but have read quick overviews of what to expect.

I'm nervous that semi open world will get repetitive. 343i are not good enough to get something right the first time and I think infinite is going to be the underwhelming base that they are going to build on for the next five years. (I'm assuming/hoping here that a chunk of the 5 years they already spent on the game was for the campaign).

The Halo Brand, the Music and potentially a good story will bring it to an 80+ score.

Last edited:

reksveks

And as always with critics, they still only rate the day 0 version, they haven’t adapted to this new thing of post-launch evolving games, so whatever get’s added later won’t affect the score.
I sadly don't think it's realistic for most critics to do so, simply isn't enough time.

Banjo64

cumsessed

8 hours?
500 million spent.
I’m sure you’ll be in the review thread admitting you were wrong and know nothing in a day or two :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Stuart360

Can you explain on the basis of what points she will receive such an assessment at all?

343 did not make a single intelligible plot. Here, too, he looks like the Expendables with a clichéd villain who doesn't appeal in any way.

There is absolutely nothing in it that can be distinguished and Alex from DF has already said that their technical review will be very pessimistic.

From the point of view of art and design, the location is terribly boring. There won't be any biomes except one.

The structure of the world also does not look very interesting yet. Outposts, outposts, outposts.

Of the obvious advantages - shooting. She is really good (I played multiplayer) and also the cat hook that is everywhere now.

To say you dont seem keen on the game, Halo is all you seem to talk about in your post history, obsessively so.

Robb

Gold Member
Hoping for 90, so voted 90. Early impressions sounded surprisingly positive to me and the multiplayer is great.

cormack12

Gold Member
There's a lot of deviations from traditional Halo and it's unlikely they will all be loved. I can see it almost touching 90 but the variations won't all work so reviewers will find at least 1/2 things that they didn't vibe with imo

Sakura

The previews looked better than anything I've seen in Halo 4 or 5.
Halo 4 and 5 have metacritic scores of 87 and 84. If Halo Infinite is better than those games, I can see 90 as being a possibility. This is why I think it could get around 90.
Of course this all depends on how the rest of the campaign goes, which is anyone's guess.

Halo 4 was great, I never touched the mp but the story was really well-made and it was the first Halo I finished, it deserved the score imo. On 360 it was at the very top on visuals too.

I think Halo Infinite will have to come with some surprises to have the same score, from what I saw in the mp the visuals don’t impress but maybe the story is good, the gameplay feels super solid though and open-world gameplay combined with the grappling hook could be really really cool if the exploration is rewarding.

Without great exploration rewards the open map will be an annoyingly large and boring map, this is what most devs except the liked of Nintendo and Bethesda don’t understand. But if they pull off great exploration then we could see 9s all over the place. We’ll see.
I'm not necessarily saying Halo 4 didn't deserve the score, but it was still lower than Halo 1 to 3 and Reach. Halo 5, which is easily the most poorly received main Halo game, with a trash story, still had a score of 84. Some people here are suggesting a metacritic below 80, but I think 343 would really have to fuck it up for that.

I do agree though that it really depends on how 343 have done the open world in this game. If it is just a glorified hub to get to story missions, then the story missions will have to be pretty damn good.

Top Bottom