• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo Infinite (campaign) Metascore prediction thread...

What's your Halo Infinite Metascore prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Markio128

I have no clue because I haven’t played it, or seen enough to know for sure, but I voted 89-89 just to take part in the guessing game and to see what the general consensus was. I’m surprised this is current general mindset. Based on the preview videos that have been posted in gaf recently with impressions, you’d think it would be closer to 100 tbh.

Kimahri

Banned
And as always with critics, they still only rate the day 0 version, they haven’t adapted to this new thing of post-launch evolving games, so whatever get’s added later won’t affect the score.
How do you propose they do that then? Critics are paid peanuts already, so do you suggest they go in and do this work for free, or do you suggest the outlet pays the critic to go in and replay and rewrite the review to reflect changes, something that hardly ever brings in enough readers to be worth it, or have you something else in mind?

I'm genuinely curious.

Mato

I'm more interested to hear what players think once the dust has settled, 2-3 months after launch. MC critic score is bound to be skewed by the ruckus built by Microsoft's hype machine and user score is open to arbitrary vote brigading. I voted for 90-91.

i voted 88-89 but i don't really care about scores. i think i'll enjoy it so have bought it. don't need people to tell me what to think.

Fredrik

I sadly don't think it's realistic for most critics to do so, simply isn't enough time.
I understand but the result is that their reviews barely matters, except for PR before launch. Those who preorder would do so no matter the review scores since the reviews comes so late and those who wait for reviews or price drops can’t rely on reviews to tell how the game is because the games have usually been updated several times the first months.

Steam reviews evolve with the games, I use those a lot, a game can go from shit to awesome and review scores will show that, plus you can filter out reviews from people with too little playtime. Sadly there is nothing like that on console, but many games comes to both console and PC so then you can look at the Steam reviews and get a hint on how things has evolved since launch.

Last edited:

Jennings

82-83 a rock solid experience that doesn't go out of its way to wow players or blow any minds, but a very competent shooter that gets the job done and delivers a foundational experience. A fundamental AAA game with little to no bombasticy or flair.

It'll be a brick house in all the best ways.

I’m sure you’ll be in the review thread admitting you were wrong and know nothing in a day or two :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It’s possible.
Game might surprise me with open world side quests and characters.
Im in Microsoft cheering section though Im not yet wearing green face paint.

Shubh_C63

As MP is already released and free, you think most reviewers will club the SP+MP score or score separately. because MP alone might tank this to oblivion.

I really really think the story will be good. The open world nature might make you work for those high points in the campaign. Though through trailers the main baddy seems to be the most generic boss of all times, and I hope that's on purpose. else, rip 89MC.

yurinka

86-87.

But it's difficult to predict because of its MP already has been released as F2P and its co-op will be released later. So not sure if they will review everything together, will wait for the coop, will review every thing separatedly or if they will review now campaign + MP and will avoid reviewing the coop.

Last edited:

splattered

We've only seen footage and news from the first 4 hours of the campaign, I'm still wondering if there is a big surprise like a flood comeback or something and that's why nothing from later part of campaign has been shown. I voted 88-89 based on what's been shown so far, but if the later half of the campaign turns everything on its head it could end up scoring higher? I dunno. Could score lower. Looking forward to reviews :)

elliot5

As MP is already released and free, you think most reviewers will club the SP+MP score or score separately. because MP alone might tank this to oblivion.

I really really think the story will be good. The open world nature might make you work for those high points in the campaign. Though through trailers the main baddy seems to be the most generic boss of all times, and I hope that's on purpose. else, rip 89MC.
11 reviews for the MP alone is sitting at a 88

Xander3116

79 and is seen as a massive success considering that had it not been delayed it would have been in the low 60's.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Reception to the Multiplayer (and indeed Series Consoles) is, as far as I can tell, much more positive than last gen got so I'd be inclined to think that things are looking up for 343.

I think they'll break 90 with this one. I'm saying 92.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
79 and is seen as a massive success considering that had it not been delayed it would have been in the low 60's.

I'm still not really sure why the previous reveal was diabolical and the version they're showing now is so much better. It really looks very, very similar.

Chiggs

Voted 84-85, which is about as good as they can hope for, IMO. Still, given the toxic cloud that's been hanging over this project, that's probably something of a success story.

John117

The only problem is cross gen, unfortunately. Campaign seems very very good.

90-91 will be the score .

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I hope it loses points for lack of coop. Launching a halo game without it, especially after an extra year of development, is unnaceptable

Meh, I don't care about Co-Op at all. You might as well say why hasn't it got Firefight, or Forge, or Battle Royale or Breakout or a warthog racing mode, it must be downgraded.

Xander3116

I'm still not really sure why the previous reveal was diabolical and the version they're showing now is so much better. It really looks very, very similar.
Your right, it doesn't look much different, there must have been other significant issues that made them delay it.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I went with 90-91 as long as a couple of clickbait sites don't drag it down with retarded 20 and 40 scores like what happened with Halo 4

Fredrik

How do you propose they do that then? Critics are paid peanuts already, so do you suggest they go in and do this work for free, or do you suggest the outlet pays the critic to go in and replay and rewrite the review to reflect changes, something that hardly ever brings in enough readers to be worth it, or have you something else in mind?

I'm genuinely curious.
I don’t know how they can get around it, maybe have a pending score at least for a month? With the posibility to update the scores even further away than that like we can with Steam reviews. Shouldn’t be too much work if they keep playing it. I update all my Steam reviews if I think it’s unfair to have the launch state making it sound worse than it is, takes a minute or two but feels like the proper thing to do.
User reviews are often criticized but many critics reviews for games with a rocky launch are completely irrelevant within a few months. If the purpose of reviews is to help consumers make the right purchase then they need to be updated when the games gets updated.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Your right, it doesn't look much different, there must have been other significant issues that made them delay it.

Maybe, perhaps we'll find out one day. I think they delayed it because of backlash, but I still don't really think that it was warranted.

I think the character models look basically the same, the environment looks basically the same. Seems like they improved lighting and textures and now it's return of the king. I rather suspect that those who were most outspokenly negative about it were never interested in the first place.

It feels more like it got a bit more polish, rather than a grand overhaul. I'm not sure that marries up to people saying it looked like an unplayable joke of a game vs something that's acceptable now.

elliot5

Maybe, perhaps we'll find out one day. I think they delayed it because of backlash, but I still don't really think that it was warranted.

I think the character models look basically the same, the environment looks basically the same. Seems like they improved lighting and textures and now it's return of the king. I rather suspect that those who were most outspokenly negative about it were never interested in the first place.

It feels more like it got a bit more polish, rather than a grand overhaul. I'm not sure that marries up to people saying it looked like an unplayable joke of a game vs something that's acceptable now.
Graphics were the most obvious point of 'feedback' because that's all the public could consume and react to. But it sounds like there were plenty of other issues and areas of polish that the team was given time to work on based on Staten's comments. Things like restructuring the world/missions, improving the map HUD and UI, every boss getting an intro cinematic, tightening up the flow/onboarding of the game and what not. There's a lot a lot a lot of work that goes in that we wouldn't be able to make a direct comparison to outside of graphics. A year isn't enough time to significantly rework the graphics engine or anything, so yeah. Texturing and materials got upgraded, but that's most of it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I hope it’s a brilliant game. From all of the factors that I can gather without having played the game myself, I’d say the campaign will, once all is said and done (say, 100 reviews) the game will score in the mid 80’s - 84-86.

But I hope it’s a 90-97, for the sake of people who are looking forward to the game (myself included).

Top Bottom