• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The HD revolution was a bit of a scam for gamers

JackMcGunns

What is this, Bad-Take Sunday??? The move to HD was an ENORMOUS visual upgrade over previous generations. There's been nothing like it since.

Playing Call of Duty 2 on my HDTV when Xbox 360 launched is still a fond memory. It felt like I hadn't been wearing my glasses then I put them on :pie_gsquint:

I wonder if that generation could have benefited from iterative consoles, with the regimular 360 and PS3 aiming for 480p SD and the Pro/S versions aiming for 720p using more powerful graphics hardware, though from looking at past threads it seems having 512MB RAM was the main issue with these consoles.
The Xbox 360 was planned with 256MBs of RAM, but Epic Games conviced Microsoft to increased it to 512MBs for Gears of War: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/512m...ars-of-wars-costs-ms-1-billion-dollar.125505/

I don't think was a problem when the PS2 only had 36MBs of RAM, 5 years before Xbox 360

Gears ran at 720p, unless Epic Games wanted Gears at 1080p, 1GB of RAM would make sense

It was a choice between 512MBs of RAM and HDD by default and RAM won almost every vote

Kerotan

Sounds like you had a shitty TV which makes this a you problem OP. Traditional home console makers should never go the Nintendo route. We're mostly adults here who want the graphical and technical bar consistently pushed.

Gaiff

Sounds like you had a shitty TV which makes this a you problem OP. Traditional home console makers should never go the Nintendo route. We're mostly adults here who want the graphical and technical bar consistently pushed.
Nope. Quite the opposite. Most HD TVs were LCDs which were trash. Plasma, CRTs, and HD CRTs were great. The scam came from the fact that LCDs were pushed to the forefront but straight-up sucked and continued doing so until the past few years.

Last edited:
You should talk about how shitty PC ports were in 6th gen and 7th gen

Like how Spiderman 2 from 2004 was a different game compared to consoles counterpart

However even if games ran at 20fps, i didn't stop people from playing it

mrcroket

You should talk about how shitty PC ports were in 6th gen and 7th gen

Like how Spiderman 2 from 2004 was a different game compared to consoles counterpart

However even if games ran at 20fps, i didn't stop people from playing it
Ports were bad but in the other hand PC has a lot of exclusive games waay ahead of console capabilities (especially on 6th gen) like farcry, doom 3, half life 2 or fear.

Ports were bad but in the other hand PC has a lot of exclusive games waay ahead of console capabilities (especially on 6th gen) like farcry, doom 3, half life 2 or fear.
Metal Gear Solid 3 was the most ambitious game for PS2 in 2004
Which of course had slowdowns like MGS 4 on PS3

When devs create games too ambitious for consoles, there will be slowdowns

Top Bottom