• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hedge Knight is officially on, a new Game of Thrones prequel (and another project to keep G.G. Martin from writing)

Bragr

Banned
George Martin wrote a series of stories called the "Tales of Dunk and Egg" back in the 1990s and early 2000s that follows Dunk and Egg after they adopt the armor of a hedge knight.

I never read this, but a lot of people love it. It's a fan favorite.

I am sure someone here can elaborate, but I think this is like a funny duo that travels around doing various stuff?

"The upcoming series is a set century before the events of Game of Thrones and follows two unlikely heroes, a young, naïve but courageous knight named Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, the show aims to explore great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits – all of which await these improbable and incomparable friends."

DKehoe

Gold Member
I thought they’d work better as a film series but that they should also wait for them to be done to start adapting them. But these companies are going to squeeze franchises for everything they can, and House of the Dragon being such a success meant this was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

If you’ve not read the stories you should check them out. They’re a lot of fun. There’s only three of them and they’re pretty short so you can get through them easily enough.

Egg goes on to become King Aegon Targareyan V and Dunk becomes Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Prequels

Tired Kenan Thompson GIF by NBC

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
But the stories were already written in the 90s and early 2000s?

And he has already said he wants to write more Dunk and Egg stories. If this show is successful then he'll work on the next D&E novella rather than Winds.

Basically, he'll do anything to avoid writing Winds.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Don't worry gang, ChatGPT5 will finish ASoIaF.
I just asked: Write me two paragraphs bringing to conclusion all the Game of Thrones books if G.R.R. Martin will never write another book in the series.

Response:

As the long-awaited winter finally began to recede, the realm of Westeros was forever changed by the events that had unfolded. The Iron Throne was no more, destroyed in the aftermath of the Great War as the Seven Kingdoms moved towards a new era of unity and cooperation. The once-mighty houses, now humbled by the devastation they had witnessed, worked together to rebuild the land and ensure a brighter future for their people. The heroes who had played their part in the events that had transpired found their own paths, some seeking redemption for the sins of the past, while others embraced the mantle of leadership to guide the realm into an age of prosperity.

Throughout the years that followed, the songs of ice and fire that had defined a generation continued to echo across the continents, their tales of love, loss, and sacrifice etched into the very fabric of history. As the world continued to turn and the seasons came and went, the people of Westeros remained steadfast in their pursuit of a better life. Though the Game of Thrones had come to an end, the legacies of those who had fought, loved, and died in its name lived on, serving as a constant reminder of the price that must be paid for power, and the enduring hope that, in the end, compassion and unity can overcome even the darkest of times.

I Agree Uh Huh GIF by Lillee Jean

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just asked: Write me two paragraphs bringing to conclusion all the Game of Thrones books if G.R.R. Martin will never write another book in the series.

Response:

As the long-awaited winter finally began to recede, the realm of Westeros was forever changed by the events that had unfolded. The Iron Throne was no more, destroyed in the aftermath of the Great War as the Seven Kingdoms moved towards a new era of unity and cooperation. The once-mighty houses, now humbled by the devastation they had witnessed, worked together to rebuild the land and ensure a brighter future for their people. The heroes who had played their part in the events that had transpired found their own paths, some seeking redemption for the sins of the past, while others embraced the mantle of leadership to guide the realm into an age of prosperity.

Throughout the years that followed, the songs of ice and fire that had defined a generation continued to echo across the continents, their tales of love, loss, and sacrifice etched into the very fabric of history. As the world continued to turn and the seasons came and went, the people of Westeros remained steadfast in their pursuit of a better life. Though the Game of Thrones had come to an end, the legacies of those who had fought, loved, and died in its name lived on, serving as a constant reminder of the price that must be paid for power, and the enduring hope that, in the end, compassion and unity can overcome even the darkest of times.

Still better than what HBO gave us.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Response:

Ha, I thought I'd give it a shot too. This was the third response/generation.

My prompt: Pretend you are G.R.R.M, and that you're no longer a lazy and procrastinating buffalo-wing eating glob of a man, and write the final few paragraphs concluding your 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. Don't bother mentioning the idiots Bran, Sansa, Tyrion or the rest; just write about Jon and Daenerys.

As the last rays of the setting sun lost their grip of the horizon, the embers of war finally cooled. A hush descended upon the ravaged lands of Westeros, and weary survivors huddled around their fires, within their ruined homes and fortified shelters, scarcely daring to hope.

Atop the charred ruins of the Red Keep stood a solitary figure, her silver hair cascading down her back. The wind and smoke whispered through it, carrying the dreams of those who had fallen. Daenerys Stormborn, the Mother of Dragons, had risen from the ashes of her own pyre to claim her birthright, but the cost had been great. Surveying the realm she had purified, she vowed to forge a new world—a world where her justice would reign, and the shadows of tyranny or sedition could never take root amid the pure blaze of dragon flame. With resolve swelling in her heart, Daenerys turned her gaze northwards, to the familiar yet enigmatic figure of Jon Snow, now revealed as Aegon Targaryen. Having fled with her treacherous Hand, Jon remained her love, her kin, and yet a perpetual threat to her claim. His noble heart, legendary accomplishments, and the loyalty he commanded made him both indispensable and dangerous—a paradox she would have to navigate with great care and address swiftly, with fire and blood.

In the North, whispers spread of the man who had once been their King, now unmasked as Aegon Targaryen. Torn between love and duty, Jon Snow chose to stand by his people, his true nature laid bare for what was left of the world to see. He understood that his choices would shape Westeros's future, and with the weight of his ancestry upon him, he readied himself for the final confrontation with the Dragon Queen he loved. Though he hoped there might still be time to reason with her, facing her now would plunge the Seven Kingdoms and their people deeper into the abyss. And yet, as he pondered his fate, his thoughts were drawn elsewhere. A strange force pulled Jon deeper into the North, an ancient call whispering of a mystery to be unraveled—a mystery that would determine the entire world's destiny. For even though he and Arya had vanquished the Night King, a malignant presence still endured, lurking in the shadows and haunting Jon with the chilling realization that the true battle for the world had yet to begin.

Thanks for the closure Skynet.

Last edited:
If THE HEDGE KNIGHT turns out as well as we hope it will, our hope would be to go on and adapt THE SWORN SWORD and THE MYSTERY KNIGHT as well. That will take a few years. Then comes the hard part. Before we reach the end of the published stories, I will need to find time to write all the other Dunk & Egg novellas that I have planned. There are… gulp… more of them than I had once thought. There’s “The Village Hero” and the Winterfell story, the one with the She-Wolves, and maybe I need to write that Dornish adventure too to slip in between “The Hedge Knight” and “The Sworn Sword,” and after that there are… ah… more. I just need to finish THE WINDS OF WINTER, and then do either A DREAM OF SPRING or volume two of FIRE & BLOOD, and slip in a new Dunk & Egg between each of those in my copious spare time… and that will keep me ahead of Ira and his merry crew… for a few more years.

south-park-george.gif

Top Bottom