• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play Gameplay Wasn't Actually From the Game

iHaunter

By now a lot of people have probably finished Horizon Forbidden West. Some even Platinumed it.

But remember the State of Play? The entire "Gameplay Reveal" wasn't even from the game, and the cutscenes shown in it never happened (hell the final cut scene gives a completely different story than what's in the final game):

Correct, it was a demonstration. Dumb post. Sorry.

GoW E3 reveal was different from launch as well. Games change.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
first time GIF

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As long as the visuals and mechanics stay the same (or very similar) in the final release I don't really see the issue?

I'd much rather get this over something like Naughty Dog Spoiling the best setpiece sequence from Uncharted 4 during E3.
The visuals are not very similar though, there is more global illumination and water effects in the demo.
Theres additional geometry in the demo, theres additional lighting in the demo and the colours are different.

If you're cool with this thats fine, but I would prefer if these early showings would either look like what your getting in the retail version or be more honest about what it is.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The visuals are not very similar though, there is more global illumination and water effects in the demo.
Theres additional geometry in the demo, theres additional lighting in the demo and the colours are different.

If you're cool with this thats fine, but I would prefer if these early showings would either look like what your getting in the retail version or be more honest about what it is.
Aren't you the user who, in a different thread, based their opinion on HFW on a stream and hasn't played it yet?

Sosokrates

Are there gameplay mechanics that i'm not seeing here that didn't make it into the final game?

Yes that is gameplay.
Good luck in playing a game without being able to see it.
You really are reaching if your trying to present an argument saying that visuals are a huge part of a "gameplay reveal".

Even you yourself were commenting on the visuals in the reveal thread.

There is foliage interaction. Not all of it is going to be interactable. Just like in your footage some of it moves some of it doesn't

I think HB2 looks better, but the artstyle is why HB2 can look more like a live action movie. You can't get that with Horizon's cartoony aesthetic

Easy on the console wars otherwise mods will catch ya

Sosokrates

Aren't you the user who, in a different thread, based their opinion on HFW on a stream and hasn't played it yet?

Yes I can tell if I like a game based on watching hrs of gameplay.

But my point is about companies being dishonest about intial showings of a game not about my opinion of H:fw's.

Last edited:
Good luck in playing a game without being able to see it.
You really are reaching if your trying to present an argument saying that visuals are a huge part of a "gameplay reveal".

Even you yourself were commenting on the visuals in the reveal thread.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Like you yourself have just said, what do the visuals have to do with the gameplay? Again, show me what mechanics or gameplay scenarios I can't recreate in the final game?

Quoting some past irrelevent comments I made about foliage and artstyle? Lol what? Get a grip man before you get removed from another Horizon thread

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
This is literally the first time since e3 2005 that a Sony studio has created cutscenes with an entire gameplay level that was not in the final game. This is a fucking fact. Modus operendi? Get the fuck out.

It is not the first time, Horizon Zero Dawn reveal gameplay sequence does not exist in the final game. At no point do you see 2 tall necks walking together. You never encounter 2 thunder jaws walking together, the stealth grass that was used in the demo was changed to a different type of grass in the final game.

All developers especially from big studios make vertical slices. Why are you intent on this ignorance? A vertical slice is just a polished playable demo, it does not have to make it into the final product in the same exact form, but often it is a single level of the game with all the mechanics and game systems put together.

Sosokrates

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Like you yourself have just said, what do the visuals have to do with the gameplay? Again, show me what mechanics or gameplay scenarios I can't recreate in the final game?

Quoting some past irrelevent comments I made about foliage and visuals? Lol what? Get a grip man before you get removed from another Horizon thread

Ive never said there aren't any gameplay mechanic which cant be done.

But "gameplay" is an ambiguous term which does not only mean gameplay mechanics.

Its been clear ive been talking about visuals, but that entire section is not in the game, so that "gameplay" is not in the retail version.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It is not the first time, Horizon Zero Dawn reveal gameplay sequence does not exist in the final game. At no point do you see 2 tall necks walking together. You never encounter 2 thunder jaws walking together, the stealth grass that was used in the demo was changed to a different type of grass in the final game.

All developers especially from big studios make vertical slices. Why are you intent on this ignorance? A vertical slice is just a polished playable demo, it does not have to make it into the final product in the same exact form, but often it is a single level of the game with all the mechanics and game systems put together.

I mentioned this demo in my post. Why did you ignore what I said?

Only the horizon e3 2015 demo was not in the final game but it was basically a trex fight which was in the final game.

It was a simple demo where she fights the the trex. Thats it. Not a long 15 minute demo with cutscenes, story beats and entire encounters missing from the game. Literally the entire level is missing. How is it the same as Aloy encountering a trex in an open world? Something you do dozens of times in the final game?

And it is an objective fact that all of the Sony E3 demos going back to PS3 were in the final game. So I ask you why did you ignore the dozens of examples I posted of vertical slices that ended up in the final game??

Last edited:
Ive never said there aren't any gameplay mechanic which cant be done.

But "gameplay" is an ambiguous term which does not only mean gameplay mechanics.

Its been clear ive been talking about visuals, but that entire section is not in the game, so that "gameplay" is not in the retail version.

The story beats aren't in the game. That location still exists and gameplay is the same

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
That level is in the final game. The gameplay sequence and story beats are not. That was created specifically to showcase the gameplay and new mechanics.

Sosokrates

That's gameplay, someone is playing it. Didn't say story reveal.

The story beats aren't in the game. That location still exists and gameplay is the same

Yes its not "gameplay" in the sense its not the retail "game" being played.

When theres a "gameplay reveal" it means for most people that its footage of the actual game.

If halo Infinites gameplay demo was in a snowy environment, I very much doubjt you would be "nothing wrong here, the "gameplay" is the same".

Mr Moose

When theres a "gameplay reveal" it means for most people that its footage of the actual game.

If halo Infinites gameplay demo was in a snowy environment, I very much doubjt you would be "nothing wrong here, the "gameplay" is the same".
Is someone playing it? Yes. It's gameplay, not pre-rendered/cutscene.

Sosokrates

That level is in the final game. The gameplay sequence and story beats are not. That was created specifically to showcase the gameplay and new mechanics.
Yes, thats what I meant, the comparison video I posted clearly shows the locations is there, but it is different, missing geometry in some case, different layout in some areas.

No shit it's not the retail game being played. The same argument applies to every other demo in existance

Tripolygon

Banned
I mentioned this demo in my post. Why did you ignore what I said?

It was a simple demo where she fights the the trex. Thats it. Not a long 15 minute demo with cutscenes, story beats and entire encounters missing from the game. Literally the entire level is missing. How is it the same as Aloy encountering a trex in an open world? Something you do dozens of times in the final game?

And it is an objective fact that all of the Sony E3 demos going back to PS3 were in the final game. So I ask you why did you ignore the dozens of examples I posted of vertical slices that ended up in the final game??
I was the one that told you it was not in the final game. You seemed to believe it was never done before.

GOW vertical slice does not exist in the final game the same way. Atreus literally references it in the final game as a joke by the developers. The sequence from the beginning with Atreus playing outside and Kratos calling him in, the level is redesigned as well in the final game.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Is someone playing it? Yes. It's gameplay, not pre-rendered/cutscene.
So if it was aloy on a borg cube, it would be completely fine, because the gameplay is the same?

As ive already explained "gameplay" does not just mean the GamePlay mechanics especially in the context of a "gameplay reveal" for a new game never seen Before.

Mr Moose

So if it was aloy on a borg cube, it would be completely fine, because the gameplay is the same?

As ive already explained "gameplay" does not just mean the GamePlay mechanics especially in the context of a "gameplay reveal" for a new game never seen Before.
I forgot the part where it said story reveal. It's gameplay, get over it.

Sosokrates

Okay and what's the problem? A dev showing gameplay for a game still in production is not going to be the same 12 months later. No game is.

I would prefer the way Bethesda games do it, rdr2, halo infinite and forza horizon 5. All those games are very similar to the retail versions. Ive already explained my reasons why I dont like, read the thread if your interested.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was the one that told you it was not in the final game. You seemed to believe it was never done before.

GOW vertical slice does not exist in the final game the same way. Atreus literally references it in the final game as a joke by the developers. The sequence from the beginning with Atreus playing outside and Kratos calling him in, the level is redesigned as well in the final game.

That's insane. The whole level is in the game with some changes. I cannot believe that you think an entire missing level is the same as some changes to the GOW vertical slice in the final game.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I would prefer the way Bethesda games do it, rdr2, halo infinite and forza horizon 5. All those games are very similar to the retail versions. Ive already explained my reasons why I dont like, read the thread if your interested.
You still haven't pointed what's so different and doesn't the randomness nature of RDR2 would've made all the videos different from your experience thus meaning that all videos of RDR2 aren't gameplay.That's your own logic used there.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yes, thats what I meant, the comparison video I posted clearly shows the locations is there, but it is different, missing geometry in some case, different layout in some areas.
It is not "missing" geometry in the final game, the level was not even fully finished in the vertical slice, you could not even see anything beyond a certain point because those locations did not exist in the vertical slice.

Mr Moose

There comes a point where you actually have to aknoledge other peoples points otherwise you just discussing in bad faith/trolling.
That place is in the game, it was designed to show off the gameplay mechanics, what you can do in the game both old and new (grapple and shit and combat). Someone is playing it, that makes it gameplay.

Sosokrates

You still haven't pointed what's so different and doesn't the randomness nature of RDR2 would've made all the videos different from your experience thus meaning that all videos of RDR2 aren't gameplay.That's your own logic used there.

The difference is those things in RDR2 can be replicated.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

That place is in the game, it was designed to show off the gameplay mechanics, what you can do in the game both old and new (grapple and shit and combat). Someone is playing it, that makes it gameplay.

But "gameplay" does not only mean gameplay mechanics, especially in the context of a "gameplay reveal" for a never before seen game.

So either show gameplay really late or don't show it at all

Tripolygon

Banned
That's insane. The whole level is in the game with some changes. I cannot believe that you think an entire missing level is the same as some changes to the GOW vertical slice in the final game.
The whole level is present in Forbidden West. It is a vertical slice. It does not matter if it is in the final game or not. It does not matter if they change things in the final game. What matters is if the final game lives up to what was demonstrated. What is insane is you not knowing what a vertical slice is and thinking Sony studios just started doing it. A vertical slice is a software development philosophy.

Top Bottom