• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Horizon: Forbidden West State of Play Gameplay Wasn't Actually From the Game

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You’re the one here getting fucked from all sides not me…

Looks like it’s your fetish.

Good comeback....
Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That entire location is redesigned even the building is redesigned. There is a massive difference between a downgrade and a redesigned area. Those coral exist in the game but in different locations and there are locations filled with lots of geometry that are more impressive than that.

This area for example is geometrically denser than that area.
3Dv85eH_d.webp
that in no way looks as good as the SOP even if they changed the design

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
As I said the term gameplay is ambiguous and in the context of gameplay reveal footage gameplay mechanics are not the only things being shown and judged.

Imaginary downgrade?, less global illumination, geometry and light sources is not imaginary.
You are so eager to push this narrative that you don't even realize your double standard...Let me help you:
Jeez, why dont actually discuss the topic rather then make it personal.

Its funny people like you will instead make an unrelated personal attack instead of actually debating the topic at hand, probably because you dont actually have a decent counter argument so you bring up other stuff to try and discredit the person.

Its so transparent and weak.

I was not moving goalposts, "gameplay" does not only mean gameplay mechanics... The term is ambiguous.
Hey I had not een that stealth edit, so let me adress it eal quick.The term gameplay is ambiguous to you and only you, nobody else here have problems understanding that the gameplay reveal was gameplay, nobody.And to counter that point you brought nothing but kept repeating the same thing again and again.
So yeah it is actally moving the goalpost, once again based on your logic if any ennemies in Halo (or any cars in F Horizon) had just a different placement/color/weapon/customization when reaching a previously shown mission then the mission shown wouldn't have been gameplay...Once again it is using your own "logic".And referencing your previous post history is not a personal attack, it is a factual sentence that simply explains that you seem to show a constant disdain about this game, which in turn might explain goalpost moving and off thread derailing.I didn't call you dumb or anything which then would've been a personnal attack.You may need to understand the nuance in bringing/pointing your bias with a personal attack, jsut like someone having a different opinion than yours is not attacking you.Now please explain us what you consider ambiguous about the Horizon gameplay reveal that is actually and for once related to gameplay.

Sosokrates

You are so eager to push this narrative that you don't even realize your double standard...Let me help you:

Hey I had not een that stealth edit, so let me adress it eal quick.The term gameplay is ambiguous to you and only you, nobody else here have problems understanding that the gameplay reveal was gameplay, nobody.And to counter that point you brought nothing but kept repeating the same thing again and again.
So yeah it is actally moving the goalpost, once again based on your logic if any ennemies in Halo (or any cars in F Horizon) had just a different placement/color/weapon/customization when reaching a previously shown mission then the mission shown wouldn't have been gameplay...Once again it is using your own "logic".And referencing your previous post history is not a personal attack, it is a factual sentence that simply explains that you seem to show a constant disdain about this game, which in turn might explain goalpost moving and off thread derailing.I didn't call you dumb or anything which then would've been a personnal attack.You may need to understand the nuance in bringing/pointing your bias with a personal attack, jsut like someone having a different opinion than yours is not attacking you.Now please explain us what you consider ambiguous about the Horizon gameplay reveal that is actually and for once related to gameplay.
No it aint.

There a difference between varriation in experiences people have games and content not being in the actual game.

Tripolygon

Banned
that in no way looks as good as the SOP even if they changed the design
Downgrade implies technical downgrade what you’re talking about artistic design change then and again I’ll argue there are lots of locations in the game that looks just as good or even better.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No it aint.

There a difference between varriation in experiences people have games and content not being in the actual game.
So you can't face those giant mammoths or you just face them but not there?The only thing that is missing is a cinematic so, according to you, less cinematic equals not gameplay...You must love those fmv full of gameplay.
Beside I found the video from which you posted the comparison, video in which the author explain that the lighting is more realistic and that the area is mostly the same.

So again your proof that the game got downgraded is a video saying it has not,you also say that a cinematic removed equals not gameplay, or imply that there things in this demo that can't be done in the game.Now please correct me if I'm wrong bt don't you see some problem here ?

Edit : My bad,in the video he thinks it's an upgrade.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

So you can't face those giant mammoths or you just face them but not there?The only thing that is missing is a cinematic so, according to you, less cinematic equals not gameplay...You must love those fmv full of gameplay.
Beside I found the video from which you posted the comparison, video in which the author explain that the lighting is more realistic and that the area is mostly the same.

So again your proof that the game got downgraded is a video saying it has not,you also say that a cinematic removed equals not gameplay, or imply that there things in this demo that can't be done in the game.Now please correct me if I'm wrong bt don't you see some problem here ?

Edit : My bad,in the video he thinks it's an upgrade.

Lol, that quest is not in the game, the location is but not the quest.
Thats the same video I posted.
He points out less water effects and geometry in the first river, less golbal illumination where those stone beams she climbs, less geometry in some underwater sections and less light sources under water.

Last edited:

kyoji

Oh he works for Guerilla now?Will he keep doing awesome edits for other games?
Yep he is a guerilla employee now (im glad u know about him too) , there are a lot of clueless people talking in this thread i see, thinking its some type of scripted content. Sunhi recorded most of the footage of gameplay. Dude is just a beast, ive been following him forever now and its good to see guerilla recognize his talent, heres something from elden ring recently.

But yes hes employed by GG now.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Lol, that quest is not in the game, the location is not not the quest.
He points out less water effects and geometry in the first river, less golbal illumination where those stone beams she climbs, less geometry in some underwater sections and less light sources under water.
Oh my god that quest is not as is in the game ?! What are we gonna do?It sure isn't gameplay then since there is ennemies present in the game, location present in the game, animation and moveset present in the game, clearly they are nothing alike.You sure you watched the video in its totality?Because you conveniently forgot all the praises and upgrades the game got.And less lighting? No a more realistic one with a more blue tint, which is normal underwater.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep he is a guerilla employee now (im glad u know about him too) , there are a lot of clueless people talking in this thread i see, thinking its some type of scripted content. Sunhi recorded most of the footage of gameplay. Dude is just a beast, ive been following him forever now and its good to see guerilla recognize his talent, heres something from elden ring recently.

But yes hes employed by GG now.

Yeah sunhi is a legend, he made me reconsider how I play God of war, his videos were brutal.I don't know if he uses some filters or just the way he edit but he makes all the games looks awesome.

stranno

That has been happening for decades already.

Remember the Ghost Recon Future Soldier E3 Demo in the game? No, you don't.

And tags nowaday, the gameplay reveal thing, mean nothing. Most teasers now are even gameplay cuts, how a gameplay is a "teaser"?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That has been happening for decades already.

Remember the Ghost Recon Future Soldier E3 Demo in the game? No, you don't.

And tags nowaday, the gameplay reveal thing, mean nothing. Most teasers now are even gameplay cuts, how a gameplay is a "teaser"?

I think there's a video of someone that got this demo showing how broken it was...

Edit: found it

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Lol, that quest is not in the game, the location is but not the quest.
At this point I think you are purposefully either trying to stir garbage up, or are just livid that such a great looking game exists on Playstation. Be like me. Just get everything. Then you don't have to be like this. Yes, I have Xbox and Switch, both great platforms. I just like games.

Again, there is zero controversy here, and the game looks as good if not better than the State of Play. The video you keep referencing ... He even states it all there. Yes there are some changes (which make sense since you would alter a tiny area to create such a self contained demo), but that's all it is. Minor changes to suit a demo. Every aspect of what you see in the demo is the game. Again, you haven't even played it correct? If you had, going back and watching that State of Play would A) make perfect sense why they put it together that way (demo several game aspects at once like fighting robots, diving, fighting people, fighting a massive boss, seeing cutscenes) that DONT all happen in 5 minutes of each other pretty much. Are you not understanding that concept? And B) that it simply looks exactly like the game you are playing at home. It's not a target render. It's not "bullshots". That is the game. How many times do you need to have people tell you this?

Such a freaking bizarre argument. That because some special scenario was set up for a demo there is a certain contingent calling it lies and unacceptable. And of course it's the usual contingent, in conjunction with complete ignorance about the actual retail product. I mean how willing to go out of your way to look like a complete and total fool is one willing to go in order to try and spread a false narrative about a console platform he hates?

IDWhite

That entire location is redesigned even the building is redesigned. There is a massive difference between a downgrade and a redesigned area. Those coral exist in the game but in different locations and there are locations filled with lots of geometry that are more impressive than that.

This area for example is geometrically denser than that area.
3Dv85eH_d.webp

One thing is redesing and other cut in quality. We are not talking about moving assets here and there, is the fact that lighting, shadows, water quality, hair physics and many shaders are all completely tone down, simplified or removed.

As i said, the game is an incredible job, this final version looks impressive and Guerrilla has made the most of the Ps4 hardware, but is obvious that they made some sacrifices from his 2020 version.

It's being discussed in this very thread; why are you trying to stifle or prohibit this from being done so?

Where do you see me actively doing that?

I came into the thread questioning the relevance and/or newsworthiness of this particular factiod. You're a fragile snowflake if you think that's tantamount to prohibiting or stifling discussion.... lol, wut?!

I have every right to question the relevance of the thread subject matter as someone else has to attempt to defend it. That's called engaging in the discussion, which ironically is something you've continued to refuse to do while targeting me and making BS accusations simply because you don't like what i'm saying.

If you feel there is something worthwhile to discuss about the thread topic at hand, by all means, present your case. Otherwise, I don't intend to dignify this puerile meandering any further.

Last edited:
It doesn't waste time at all. It helps create a focus for the features and a bar for the quality they want to set across the rest of the product. It also allows them to fully complete aspects of the game and analyse if it works or needs changing. It also helps to manage the project deadlines eg it took 3 months to make a vertical slice with these features, so we can do x amount in the following 3 years
Agreed. I walk back my initial post on this matter as Tripolygon Tripolygon offered a very good explanation regarding these demo pieces.

KillerKowalski

Neo Member
Bought ER at launch and killed Godrick yesterday, this fucker is hard especially since you have limited access to upgrades at this point. He’s far from being the first boss either.

Took me 19 hours to reach Liurna and 26 hours to finish HFW, can’t compare the two…
26 hours for HFW?!?

I beat the final mission at right around 57 hours...still a ways off from 100% too

Sosokrates

Oh my god that quest is not as is in the game ?! What are we gonna do?It sure isn't gameplay then since there is ennemies present in the game, location present in the game, animation and moveset present in the game, clearly they are nothing alike.You sure you watched the video in its totality?Because you conveniently forgot all the praises and upgrades the game got.And less lighting? No a more realistic one with a more blue tint, which is normal underwater.
My god you're obsessed, I prefer the demo gameplay footage, you prefer the retail. Its ok to disagree.

Last edited:
Pretty standard I would say, games do tend to chop and change things when they have gameplay demos depending on what type of gameplay they're trying to demo. I would say that I was quite surprised by the thread but unfortunately I'm not. Well, apart from the fact that from the title I was hoping that it was a video from Guerrilla Games showing something about that demo.
I think I'm currently just under 50 hours so I haven't reached that side of the map yet although I do like to make the most of the games I play. I know that people play differently but my playthrough was something like 150-160 hours in the first game and somewhere around 400-500 in Forza Horizon 4 as I do enjoy trying to master a game rather than just get from point A to point B.
Before anybody asks why FH4, I've just not really got into Forza Horizon 5 yet. It just work for me to play one big game at a time so it's just not had it's time yet, it will at some point though. 🤷‍♂️
Unless I go back to FH4 first, which isn't entirely impossible.

Dr Bass

One thing is redesing and other cut in quality. We are not talking about moving assets here and there, is the fact that lighting, shadows, water quality, hair physics and many shaders are all completely tone down, simplified or removed.

As i said, the game is an incredible job, this final version looks impressive and Guerrilla has made the most of the Ps4 hardware, but is obvious that they made some sacrifices from his 2020 version.
First off the reveal was in 2021, less than a year before it actually came out.

Secondly using THAT picture of evidence of anything, given all the other sources of video/photos around is pretty dishonest. That image is awful and doesn't represent the game whatsoever. I don't even know how someone got a picture that bad unless it's just compressed to oblivion.

Lastly, you're wrong. The State of Play is the game arranged to be a self contained demo. That's exactly what the game looks like, because it IS the game.

This thread is pointless and is only serving to enable bad faith behavior.

Sosokrates

I'm obsessed says the guy parroting bullshit all thread long to everybody that dares tell him the truth.
Lol, im reply to people quoting me, if people dont like my opinions dont quote me. And what truth, its a fact theres more geometry and objects into the demo, its a fact theres extra global illumination in the demo.

You prefer less global illumination and geometry, get the fuck outta here..

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Lol, im reply to people quoting me, if people dont like my opinions dont quote me. And what truth, its a fact theres more geometry and objects into the demo, its a fact theres extra global illumination in the demo.

You prefer less global illumination and geometry, get the fuck outta here..
It is not global illulmibnation you are talking about or you are showinf that you have no idea what you are talking about.What you are talking about is light rig around her character, that is not global illumination.You talk about less geometry prove it.Unlkess you consider Nxgamer and digital foundry to be wrong.
If only you had just stopped at your previous post saying you liked the first presentation more instead of calling it a downgrade because it has not been downgraded.I do liked the light rig more too but I can understand the difference between artistical choice and technical downgrade.
And you not only reply to people quoting you because I don't think people started randomly quoting you here without you stepping a foot in this thread.
You posted shat on the game as usually and people showed you that were bullshitting you tried to move the goalpost and claim that gameplay was ambiguous.You are not fooling anybody here come back with something solid instead of blowing bubbles because sure they are nice but so empty.

VN1X

Banned
Where do you see me actively doing that?

I came into the thread questioning the relevance and/or newsworthiness of this particular factiod. You're a fragile snowflake if you think that's tantamount to prohibiting or stifling discussion.... lol, wut?!

I have every right to question the relevance of the thread subject matter as someone else has to attempt to defend it. That's called engaging in the discussion, which ironically is something you've continued to refuse to do while targeting me and making BS accusations simply because you don't like what i'm saying.

If you feel there is somewhile to discuss about the topic at hand, by all means, present your case. Otherwise, I don't intend to dignify this puerile meandering any further.
Confused Emma Stone GIF by SAG Awards

Sosokrates

It is not global illulmibnation you are talking about or you are showinf that you have no idea what you are talking about.What you are talking about is light rig around her character, that is not global illumination.You talk about less geometry prove it.Unlkess you consider Nxgamer and digital foundry to be wrong.
If only you had just stopped at your previous post saying you liked the first presentation more instead of calling it a downgrade because it has not been downgraded.I do liked the light rig more too but I can understand the difference between artistical choice and technical downgrade.
And you not only reply to people quoting you because I don't think people started randomly quoting you here without you stepping a foot in this thread.
You posted shat on the game as usually and people showed you that were bullshitting you tried to move the goalpost and claim that gameplay was ambiguous.You are not fooling anybody here come back with something solid instead of blowing bubbles because sure they are nice but so empty.

@10.55 less global illumination in the retail build
@12.08 a few coral shelves are missing in retail.
@16.48 less pebbles at the edge of the tide

There is some geometry added to the retail, but I prefer the more punchier colors, the extra Gi and additional light sources ( like underwater, you can see all the detail, in retail its covered by shadow)

Also no one showed that I was bullshiting.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

There is some geometry added to the retail, but I prefer the more punchier colors, the extra Gi and additional light sources ( like underwater, you can see all the detail, in retail its covered by shadow)

All that in a more realistic light underwater sure it is more colorful in the state of play but that is how colors are more supposed to look underwater because it is less clear than air.I think there's a filter that exists to restore colors when you film underwater, for example if you bleed deep enough your blood will appear dark green, although if you bleed underwater you may have other problems that the color of your blood.But al that is mostly a matter of preference and not as you call it a downgrade.
At least you finally admit that there are geometry added, that is the first time you acknowledge it though.
The bullshit part is about how gameplay is ambiguous, sure in can be in others examples but in the state of play there is no ambiguity at all.
I mean look at the video almost everything is upgraded the water reflections and general look alone are a big upgrade.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

@16.48 less pebbles at the edge of the tide

The SoP was to oversaturated in colours. People even complained about that after SoP. You really think that a year before release, that nothing can or will change? They also used the SoP to get feedback from the community and media.

You really don't understand how game dev works, or software development in general.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

All that in a more realistic light underwater sure it is more colorful in the state of play but that is how colors are more supposed to look underwater because it is less clear than air.I think there's a filter that exists to restore colors when you film underwater, for example if you bleed deep enough your blood will appear dark green, although if you bleed underwater you may have other problems that the color of your blood.But al that is mostly a matter of preference and not as you call it a downgrade.
At least you finally admit that there are geometry added, that is the first time you acknowledge it though.
The bullshit part is about how gameplay is ambiguous, sure in can be in others examples but in the state of play there is no ambiguity at all.
I mean look at the video almost everything is upgraded the water reflections and general look alone are a big upgrade.

Gameplay is ambiguous, I proved this providing the Wikipedia page which says it and provides examples.
Wheres your evidence for the contrary? You have not provided any...

The Gi is not a preference thing.

The thing is though my original point was that the intial gamplay showing is different to retail and I prefer how the demo looked. I wish companies eould not do this.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Gameplay is ambiguous, I proved this providing the Wikipedia page which says it and provides examples.
Wheres your evidence for the contrary? You have not provided any...

The Gi is not a preference thing.

The thing is though my original point was that the intial gamplay showing is different to retail and I prefer how the demo looked. I wish companies eould not do this.
Look at the post above, it explains why the colors are less saturated.Gameplay is not different, I can do everything that has been done in the game. If you want the game as it looked increase luminosity and contrast it'll help you. I just think that since the game looks amazing and every tech analyst does so too, and that I can do what was in the reveal, it was not a lie or a trick, just a vertical slice of a segment that has changed since.

JTCx

You only 'prefer' how it looks in the demo because you just found out that the vertical slice wasnt in retail.

lol you aint slick.

Sosokrates

Look at the post above, it explains why the colors are less saturated.Gameplay is not different, I can do everything that has been done in the game. If you want the game as it looked increase luminosity and contrast it'll help you. I just think that since the game looks amazing and every tech analyst does so too, and that I can do what was in the reveal, it was not a lie or a trick, just a vertical slice of a segment that has changed since.

If you think the punchier colors, additional light sources were not done because sony knows it would make a better intial first impression then you're being naive.
If you have no problem with this practice thats fine, we will just have to agree to disagree.

If they show starfield with more light sources and less Gi in the first gameplay reveal compared to the retail version I will be unhappy with that too.

And again you prove my point.

After numerous replies, you've yet to provide a single logical counter-argument. I guess your purpose in this thread is just to antagonise posters and post funny gifs.

You could have saved us all the time of writing replies to your posts had you just been honest from the outset that you weren't at all interested in engaging in any meaningful discussion.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If you think the punchier colors, additional light sources were not done because sony knows it would make a better intial first impression then you're being naive.
If you have no problem with this practice thats fine, we will just have to agree to disagree.

If they show starfield with more light sources and less Gi in the first gameplay reveal compared to the retail version I will be unhappy with that too.
Again look at other videos, no downgrade with light source, you are amongst the 1% calling it a downgrade and none of the tech informed are on your side. A lot of people like the more natural light, instead of the constantly lit Aloy.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Every since the Xbox/Craig memes, theres been a witch hunt to try and discredit and criticize every Sony exclusive game since then about their graphics, lol. Even if people think there was a downgrade from the demo, HFW is still the best looking game to ever release on consoles.
Nah I disagree, it happened with spiderman, with flight sim with every exclusives, fanboy gonna fanboy. I'm sure some have even called Halo a downgrade when it is an upgrade in lot of ways.

IDWhite

First off the reveal was in 2021, less than a year before it actually came out.

Secondly using THAT picture of evidence of anything, given all the other sources of video/photos around is pretty dishonest. That image is awful and doesn't represent the game whatsoever. I don't even know how someone got a picture that bad unless it's just compressed to oblivion.

Lastly, you're wrong. The State of Play is the game arranged to be a self contained demo. That's exactly what the game looks like, because it IS the game.

This thread is pointless and is only serving to enable bad faith behavior.

The reveal was in 2020 (11 of June).

That picture is only a proof from a video comparing the same areas on the final version of the game and the trailer above. It's representative of the actual look of the game because is the same you are going to see in your console.

I'm not wrong because you say so. Images are pretty obvious. All people have eyes to see whats happening.

This is a forum, opinions are everywhere and don't need to be the same, if you think this theard is pointless I don't know why you respond.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It still says "Gameplay"

Most people who watch this video got the impression that this is a section from the final game and it is how the final game eould look.

If someone would of said it will be downgraded and that section would not be in the final game, they would of been piled on and attacked in the SOP thread immediately.

But I will remember this for the next big "gameplay" showing and if they have that same disclaimer, you will have no problem with me saying that this is not final gameplay and could likely change?
Looking forward to you calming everyone in every thread about any excitement about games of all makers until they are out… well, at least you are now going straight on the “downgradeaton” wagon so these statements have context.

Sosokrates

Looking forward to you calming everyone in every thread about any excitement about games of all makers until they are out… well, at least you are now going straight on the “downgradeaton” wagon so these statements have context.
TQw0oaJ.gif

Top Bottom