• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian developer GenDesign has suggested it will finally reveal its next game this year.

Draugoth

Gold Member
05-last-guardian-1280x720.jpg

source

The Last Guardian developer GenDesign has suggested it will reveal its next game in 2023.

In a New Year greeting posted on social media (embedded below), the Japanese developer said 2023 would “finally [be] a year with lots to talk about”.

“We are working hard to make this a great year for you, so please look forward to it,” it said.

GenDesign was formed in 2014 by former members of Team Ico, the PlayStation Japan team Fumito Ueda helmed for critically-acclaimed projects Ico (2001) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005).

GenDesign’s next game will be one of the first published by Epic Games’ new publishing label, alongside projects from Remedy (Control) and Playdead (Inside).

The studio first teased artwork for its next game via a 2021 greeting card.

Jinzo Prime

Wasn't there a thread about this earlier? Regardless, I eagerly anticipate Fumito Ueda's next game

Wish he would direct a Zelda game one day tho.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good. Looking forward to it. Wonder if that original concept image after TLG is what we'll see, or something completely different to that.

yurinka

I think it's a bit generous to consider GenDesign the developer of TLG and that GenDesign was formed by former members of Team Ico.

Out of the 700 people (519 developers, 181 thanks) listed in the TLG game credits, only 14 of them are from GenDesign. Out of these 14 GenDesign staff listed there, only 6 of them worked in previous Japan Studio games (in most cases only a handful games), the other ones joined GenDesign being TLG their first game or joined from different non-Sony studios.

Around half a dozen outsourcing companies worked in this game, not counting GenDesign, audio, PR, marketing, localization, etc.

The majority of Japan Studio devs who worked on TLG stayed at Japan Studio after the game and some worked in Knack 2, Demon's Souls and mostly the Astro Bot games. Now are at Team Asobi or the XDEV Asian team that resulted from the restructuring of Japan Studio that separated their internal 1st party development from the 2nd party publishing of Asian games divisions of the studio into two separate studios.

Some Japan Studio devs who worked on TLG left Sony during or after the development of TLG. Many of them haven't released a game since then, other ones joined other companies where did work on games like Pokemon or Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Elios83

Always interested in what Ueda does but The Last Guardian was released 6 years ago already and we're looking at just the announcement of the new game this year with possibly an other two years of wait until the actual release.
Hopefully the deal with Epic means they're providing GenDesign with an actual development team highly skilled with UE5, I guess we'll find out.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit generous to consider GenDesign the developer of TLG and that GenDesign was formed by former members of Team Ico.

Out of the 700 people (519 developers, 181 thanks) listed in the TLG game credits, only 14 of them are from GenDesign. Out of these 14 GenDesign staff listed there, only 6 of them worked in previous Japan Studio games (in most cases only a handful games), the other ones joined GenDesign being TLG their first game or joined from different non-Sony studios.

Around half a dozen outsourcing companies worked in this game, not counting GenDesign, audio, PR, marketing, localization, etc.

The majority of Japan Studio devs who worked on TLG stayed at Japan Studio after the game and some worked in Knack 2, Demon's Souls and mostly the Astro Bot games. Now are at Team Asobi or the XDEV Asian team that resulted from the restructuring of Japan Studio that separated their internal 1st party development from the 2nd party publishing of Asian games divisions of the studio into two separate studios.

Some Japan Studio devs who worked on TLG left Sony during or after the development of TLG. Many of them haven't released a game since then, other ones joined other companies where did work on games like Pokemon or Smash Bros.
Fumito Ueda, like Hideo Kojima, is the author and the only one that matters.

yurinka

Fumito Ueda, like Hideo Kojima, is the author and the only one that matters.
Lol, no. He had serious issues to compllete TLG, others had to complete and fix it. Let's wait and see what he can do without Japan Studio/Sony, if like Kojima (or Kojipro, Kojima took almost his whole team with him) performing great and successful games outside Konami or like Itagaki, Molyneux or Inafune, who made turds outside the company where they had their hits.

I'm a bit optimistic but not much. He had at Sony a ton of resources, a lot of talented and experienced people in the team, big budget and patience with the timings. Kojima went to a bigger company with more resources and budget, Ueda went from a top AAA corporation to become indie.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lol, no. He had serious issues to compllete TLG, others had to complete and fix it. Let's wait and see what he can do without Japan Studio/Sony, if like Kojima (or Kojipro, Kojima took almost his whole team with him) performing great and successful games outside Konami or like Itagaki, Molyneux or Inafune, who made turds outside the company where they had their hits.

I'm a bit optimistic but not much. He had at Sony a ton of resources, a lot of talented and experienced people in the team, big budget and patience with the timings. Kojima went to a bigger company with more resources and budget, Ueda went from a top AAA corporation to become indie.

Sometimes you can't put a time limit on a creative.

There's only a handful of creative minds that could come up with experiences like Ico, shadow of the collosus and last guardian.

Amazing games, special.

Guy can take all the time he needs in my opinion.

Not to sound like a snob but his games are what I consider art.

Spaceman292

Banned
Always interested in what Ueda does but The Last Guardian was released 6 years ago already and we're looking at just the announcement of the new game this year with possibly an other two years of wait until the actual release.
Hopefully the deal with Epic means they're providing GenDesign with an actual development team highly skilled with UE5, I guess we'll find out.
Can't believe it's already been six years. It almost makes me wonder what these devs do day to day. Think about how much can be accomplished in SIX YEARS, and think about what actually gets made and released.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Don’t know how I missed this thread originally…

TLG was my GOTG for ps4. I loved every ounce of that journey.

I am looking forward to what Ueda has cooking up, but I can’t lie and say with Team Ico/ Japan Studio I am confident. Astro Bot studio Team Asobi got a good swath of talent from the former studio, and epic isn’t the company I imagine releasing games like Ico, SotC, or TLG…

But I really hope it stays in that vein.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

While TLG was impressive in so many ways, but it truly ran and controlled like dog shit. I want solid 60 fps with proper stick dead zones but I'm not even expecting sable 30 from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom