• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 is "one of the greatest games ever made", according to The Russo Brothers

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The Avengers: Endgame directors praised two of Naughty Dog's IPs

JraiYieCFttxh3BJHCftnb-1200-80.jpg.webp

The Russo Brothers have praised Uncharted and The Last of Us, calling the latter of the two "one of the greatest games ever made."

In a recent video with IGN , whilst promoting the pair's recent Netflix film The Gray Man, Anthony and Joe Russo were asked to rate chase scenes in video games - two of which were from Naughty Dog's back catalogue of games, including Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and The Last of Us 2.

Talking about the scene in Uncharted 4 where Drake and Sully help Sam evade Shoreline mercenaries, Joe Russo likened the chase to the opening of the James Bond film Skyfall from 2012. The director then said, "I would say that Uncharted is one of the best action gaming franchises of all time."

As well as judging chase scenes from Resident Evil Village, Crash Bandicoot 4, It Takes Two, and more, the pair then share their thoughts on the Rat King scene from The Last of Us 2. Introducing the clip, Joe Russo said: "This is one of the greatest games ever made, The Last of Us." Discussing Abby's narrow escape from the beast, Joe adds: "This is a page out of [Steven] Spielberg's playbook," which has got to be good to hear for the team at Naughty Dog.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The only way The Last of Us 2 would have been better is if they asked the player to watch 15 hours of cutscenes instead of 11 hours of cutscenes. The best games of all time always have you ignoring your controller and passively watching instead.

The Latin root word of game is gam', which means "To idly watch a screen".

Chiggs

I liked how Druckmann and friends handled the game's tonal shifts so seamlessly. For instance:
  • Time for a tender moment with an acoustic rendition of "Take On Me" for the ultimate in feels (plus 80s nostalgia).
Then:
  • Back to grenading dogs, mowing down scores of people, and then killing a pregnant woman.

Truly astounding work.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I liked how Druckmann and friends handled the game's tonal shifts so seamlessly. For instance:
  • Time for a tender moment with an acoustic rendition of "Take On Me" for the ultimate in feels (plus 80s nostalgia).
Then:
  • Back to grenading dogs, mowing down scores of people, and then killing a pregnant woman.

Truly astounding work.
Those two events happened at very different parts of the game.

MiguelItUp

Movie directors like wanna-be movie director's games.
Exactly, that's my take away from it. It's a very cinematic game, so I feel like movie director's will of course be all about it. Directors have said the same thing about similar games in the past. I can totally understand a director looking at TLOU2 and think that it's the best game ever made. It's got a lot.

I personally don't feel that way about TLOU2, but hey, it's their opinion, so, don't let it upset you if you disagree, lmao.

It is...compared to the B movie writing in most video games TLOU2 came pretty close to actual good film writing. Still team less cinematic games, but as far as cinematic game writing goes its head and heels above the others.

Chiggs

Those two events happened at very different parts of the game.

That doesn't invalidate my point. Both Ellie and Abbey are all over the map when it comes to emotional composure. Would a dystopian future tend to make people do awful things? Sure, but I've got my limits in tolerating it...and believing it.

I demand you be banned for...not trolling. You are a disgrace! Do you realize the thread is about TLOU II?

Excited Jump GIF by Grease Live

Last edited:

Roberts

I liked Russos when they made hilarious tv comedy 10-20 years ago, but their big screen output is what is wrong blockbuster cinema - no character, no unique voice, just cold, calculated focus group fluff to please as many people as possible. And of course they love games that more or less represent the same in videogame medium.

P.S. I think they are pretty good producers.

HL3.exe

It's impressive in it's ambition. Execution is kinda wonky, and the pacing is off. (But he, big budget development is really challenging)

But it view and delivery on 'mourning' and 'what it means to lose some one while in the middle of an unresolved argument' was really Impactful for me personally. It hit way to close to home for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom