• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 is "one of the greatest games ever made", according to The Russo Brothers

Now you are just lying to yourself. You came here to dismiss anything positive they had to say because their latest movie bombed.

Wasn’t sure who they were but after doing a bit of research.

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

They were certainly behind some pretty big movies and I’ve watched many of them without knowing who they are.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wasn’t sure who they were but after doing a bit of research.

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

They were certainly behind some pretty big movies and I’ve watched many of them without knowing who they are.

They are by no means the elite of the elite as far as Hollywood directors go but they’ve done a bit more than on Netflix movie.

They are by no means the elite of the elite as far as Hollywood directors go but they’ve done a bit more than on Netflix movie.

Oh yes I agree with that. They were certainly behind some pretty successful movies so I would base their success off something they did with Netflix.

There are people who want him to stay?

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

They should help him out. I already tried telling him to ease off the war against PlayStation. He definitely isn’t going to listen to me.

I mean sure I messed with him in the past but that’s mostly due to his behavior here.

Topher

Gold Member
Not really there’s nothing wrong with liking a brand. It’s obsessing over one that’s the issue.

Calling people who like PlayStation retarded is a bit much IMO.

I think what Trazyn the Infinite Trazyn the Infinite is saying is that games should lead gamers to platforms, not vice versa. I know I'm a PS guy here for the most part, but I don't buy PlayStation because its PlayStation. I like PlayStation's games. TLOU 1 and 2, Uncharted, GoW, Horizon, etc. Those are games I enjoy and so I buy PlayStation. If Sony stops making those games then I won't buy PS anymore.

I think misguided is a better word than retarded. I think it is also ok to "like" a console if it because you like its games.

Last edited:
I think what Trazyn the Infinite Trazyn the Infinite is saying is that games should lead gamers to platforms, not vice versa. I know I'm a PS guy here for the most part, but I don't buy PlayStation because its PlayStation. I like PlayStation's games. TLOU 1 and 2, Uncharted, GoW, Horizon, etc. Those are games I enjoy and so I buy PlayStation. If Sony stops making those games then I won't buy PS anymore.

I think misguided is a better word than retarded. I think it is also ok to "like" a console if it because you like its games.

I mean that’s why I like PlayStation in the first place. Many people enjoy a certain brand because of the games that it provides. For example I love games like God of War and Spider-Man and it’s PlayStation that’s providing those experiences for me. I wouldn’t call someone a retard for liking Xbox because of the games they provide just like I wouldn’t call someone retarded for liking Nintendo because of their franchises.

I agree that if all you care about is the logo then there’s something wrong with you.

Most people like a brand due to the software or experiences that it provides. I don’t believe I was talking about those that only like it because of its name. For most a brand name represents other things that they enjoy like the software for example. And it’s also ok if someone doesn’t find anything they enjoy from PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo.

Edit: Going back to the topic of Lognor Lognor I don’t believe the issue is because PlayStation doesn’t offer games that he’s interested in. Rather it’s the fact that PlayStation is competing against Xbox that bothers him.

Last edited:

MasterCornholio MasterCornholio This is what I meant by that.

I *love* the PS2 and PS1, for example. Its library of games, general aesthetic, physical design - they are all top notch for me. Even *bad* games on those system I can still find a lot of enjoyability out of. However, I don’t like them because they are *PlayStation*. The brand has nothing to do with it.

You can enjoy a platform/box all you like and even be a fan of it. However being a fan of a “Brand” and not the particular system is mental.
Ultimately the point of gaming is the *games*. Not the company, not the brand or corporation. Being a “fan” of such is silly and reductive to what the whole hobby and medium is about.

MasterCornholio MasterCornholio This is what I meant by that.

I *love* the PS2 and PS1, for example. Its library of games, general aesthetic, physical design - they are all top notch for me. Even *bad* games on those system I can still find a lot of enjoyability out of. However, I don’t like them because they are *PlayStation*. The brand has nothing to do with it.

You can enjoy a platform/box all you like and even be a fan of it. However being a fan of a “Brand” and not the particular system is mental.
Ultimately the point of gaming is the *games*. Not the company, not the brand or corporation. Being a “fan” of such is silly and reductive to what the whole hobby and medium is about.

I believe I already explained why I like the brand and that’s because that brand tends to provide me with the games that I want to play. I also enjoy the UI of the PS5 and the DualSense controller. Most people don’t like a brand just because of the logo most people like the brand because they associate with experiences that they enjoy.

I believe I already explained why I like the brand and that’s because that brand tends to provide me with the games that I want to play. I also enjoy the UI of the PS5 and the DualSense controller. Most people don’t like a brand just because of the logo most people like the brand because they associate with experiences that they enjoy.

You are conflating enjoying the specific games and box with liking the brand. They are not one in the same. Liking a brand is simply another way to state that you are a console warrior (which, given what I have read from you, is absolutely not the case).

It would be like me saying I enjoy Games Workshop instead of specifically stating that I enjoy WarHammer 40K. They have vastly different meanings.

Sorry if I am being a bit pedantic about it, but I strongly believe that words have meanings and by utilizing them carefully and correctly, we can better understand those around us - preventing base tribalism and other… unsavory concepts. I would edit this in to the other post, but I can’t edit just quite yet it seems!

You are conflating enjoying the specific games and box with liking the brand. They are not one in the same. Liking a brand is simply another way to state that you are a console warrior (which, given what I have read from you, is absolutely not the case).

It would be like me saying I enjoy Games Workshop instead of specifically stating that I enjoy WarHammer 40K. They have vastly different meanings.

It’s ok to like a brand but worshipping it is a different story. For example if I say I hate the PlayStation that wouldn’t be true since I do enjoy what the brand is known for. When I buy a PS6 based off my experience with their previous systems I know what kind of experiences PlayStation can give me.

Granted I’m open to the idea that things can change but I’m confident that PlayStation can provide me with the type of content that I enjoy, I have nothing against others if they say that they like Xbox and Nintendo.

P.S I also like Nintendo but I’m currently invested in my PS5 and Retro Gaming. However I definitely will pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at some point.

Anyways it’s fine I understand where your going but liking a brand doesn’t instantly make you a console warrior. Fighting for it like your a crusader does. I’m someone that believes that it’s okay to have multiple religions on this planet. Just like I believe it’s fine that there’s multiple brands for gaming.

Chiggs

What the fuck does that have with Part 2? You just sound upset, emotional and triggered and give responses that show your argument is more personal, then any real objective data.

LOLOLOLOLOL

I literally saw you had mentioned Ragnarok in one of your posts--not as a direct comparison, but I tossed that in as a nod to an upcoming title that will outpace TLOU2 sales.

And I'm the one taking things too seriously and getting triggered?

Holy fuck, dude. Re-read some of you responses. Unless you were a part of the dev team, I don't know why you're so attached.

It's just hard for anyone to take your analysis seriously when it's completely flawed.

People shouldn't compare 10 million sales to 20 because it's not a fair comparison. The Last of Us has been out for longer and it became standard with PlayStation 4 consoles for years.

It's like how some people want to compare 20 million Halo Infinite players to The Last of Us, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man. Also, it's unlikely that The Last of Us Remake will sell through the roof on PlayStation 5, unless the Last of US TV show generates a VERY LARGE and it gets a sales to boost in 2023.

This game will likely be bundled with The Last of Us Part II's Director's Cut with PlayStation 5 consoles in 2023. The game will eventually be released on PC, and that's how the game will reach 20 million in sales.

Proving my point perfectly about how TLOU2 defenders will try to hand waive away any direct comparisons. OH, IT'S ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 2 YEARS. OH, IT WASN'T BUNDLED! Cool.

As for the bolded comment, bookmarked. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
LOLOLOLOLOL

I literally saw you had mentioned Ragnarok in one of your posts--not as a direct comparison, but I tossed that in as a nod to an upcoming title that will outpace TLOU2 sales.

Holy fuck, dude. Re-read some of you responses. Unless you were a part of the dev team, I don't know why you're so attached.

Proving my point perfectly about how TLOU2 defenders will try to hand waive away any direct comparisons. OH, IT'S ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 2 YEAR. OH, IT WASN'T BUNDLED! Cool.

I just blocked him. He refuses to engage like an adult, relies on insults often, and only talks *at* people. Never with.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Proving my point perfectly about how TLOU2 defenders will try to hand waive away any direct comparisons. OH, IT'S ONLY BEEN OUT FOR 2 YEAR. OH, IT WASN'T BUNDLED! Cool.

You're hand waiving the fact that it was bundled. You don't want to acknowledge it was part of 15 bundles over the span of 8 years because it would destroy your entire argument. So based on this simple fact alone, you want to consider it irrelevant.

I can easily say that it was announced that The Last of Us Remaster sold over 13 million copies, but it only took The Last of Us Part II 16 days to generate more revenue in the US compared to The Last of Us Remaster. That alone shows you how bundles helped sales in the US.

You should figure out why bundles are mentioned whenever The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 sales are mentioned. Bundles for uncharted 4 announced for over 3-4 million in the US alone

EEogbTH.jpg

Sorry, but the facts are the facts.

Topher

Gold Member
You're hand waiving the fact that it was bundled. You don't want to acknowledge it was part of 15 bundles over the span of 8 years because it would destroy your entire argument. So based on this simple fact alone, you want to consider it irrelevant.

I can easily say that it was announced that The Last of Us Remaster sold over 13 million copies, but it only took The Last of Us Part II 16 days to generate more revenue in the US compared to The Last of Us Remaster. That alone shows you how bundles helped sales in the US.

You should figure out why bundles are mentioned whenever The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 sales are mentioned. Bundles for uncharted 4 announced for over 3-4 million in the US alone

EEogbTH.jpg

Those are a lot of bundles. That's a fact.

EDMIX

but I tossed that in as a nod to an upcoming title that will outpace TLOU2 sales.
yea no data to back up that point huh?

.....none of that still has to do with The Last Of Us 2 sales.

Unless you were a part of the dev team, I don't know why you're so attached.

yet again..none of that has to do with The Last Of Us 2 sales... I don't know what say man. The game is selling faster then the Last Of Us part 1, in 2 years, with only 1 sku on the market.

I don't see the point in bringing up God Of War or being part of a "dev team" or anything like that.

How come you don't have any data or facts to make any points btw? Its just this "ohhh GOd oF wArz will do" or "you part of da dev team" and anything to go off topic or detract. I'm sure God Of War will do just fine...none of that has to do with The Last Of Us 2 sales.... You've yet to give a single post talking about sales data to reflect your point, which leads me to believe this is simply a personal thing. All we have to go on factually is Part 2 moved 10 million units in 2 years, which is faster then what it took for part 1, it has only one sku, the show hasn't released yet, a PC version has released yet, a PS5 version hasn't released yet and Part 3 has not been revealed yet. Thats all we have to go on. Nothing personal bud, just objective facts..

Those are a lot of bundles. That's a fact.

my guy is allergic to facts. Will tell you "Call Of Duty will DESTORY it in sales", followed by, "Topher MUST be part of the dev team"

Basically no one will buy it when a PS5 remaster is made, no one will buy it when a PC version is made, no one will buy it when the show comes out with season 1 or 2, no one will buy it when Part 3 is revealed....

Folks....I was told no one was going to buy it past 4 million, oh now its "10 million is where it will end for sure broz" /s I think the games successes and records broken on top of Russo Brothers giving this complement have folks trying anything to detract or to try to trivialize any of the games feats.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Ah, sorry. Let me better explain then. Drakengard and NieR, much like TLOU2 are very dark, depressing tales. Full of the worst of humanity, shocking revelations, and an air of constant oppression and misery.

However, TLOU2 feels like it is ”Try hard”, without realizing what makes a dark, depressing tale dark and depressing. It is very surface level in how it deals with its Themes.

To go a bit more in-depth, let’s compare NieR and TLOU2 in particular. Both are set in post-apocalyptic settings on Earth. Humanity is slowly being wiped out by some threat (whether it be Shades in NieR or Cordyceps in TLOU2). People are constantly fighting for survival and have regressed in technology, scope, and social dynamics. In TLOU2, Druckman paints everything as miserable. There is almost no levity, there is little fun, everyone is hateful, bigotted, mean spirited, and out for themselves. Revenge is all they can think of and characters that *used* to be three dimensional become two dimensional. While there *are* attempts to bring levity/attempt at normalcy, they are so short and forgettable that they have zero impact (the scenes on the farm, the aquarium, etc).

Meanwhile in NieR, Yoko Taro paints the world as bleak, but somewhat hopeful… initially. As you further get into the game, the darkness creeps in more and more. As you learn the revelations, you are hit *harder* because of how much you came to care about these characters, about the way the world now functions. It may not seem like I am explaining much, but if you truly did enjoy TLOU2, I HIGHLY suggest you play NieR: Replicant (the remake/remaster) as I genuinely don’t want to spoil anything in this game.
Eh? One is a realistic post apocalyptic world and the other is a long legged anime game, how can you possibly compare them

Y0ssarian

Banned
Kek. Zoom zoom.

Last of Us II is very good. Uncharted started to blow during and after 3. I wouldn't call them the best ever.

Top Bottom