• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Releasing On February 21st, 2020 | New Trailer

and so much scary shit will attack you this time for first time dogs and some zombie like creatures try to attack you in car , that i never saw before, and look at all this gore , so brutal and detailed
DNsI8Uj.gif

Not trying to be rude...but how old are u actually ?

Cos to me u seems to talk like a 6 grader....u keep pointing out the obvious...

Not saying it as a bad thing tho.....whatever keeps you entertained here....

Last edited:

scalman

if joel now 55 its not bad age and surely not too old to do missions and stuff. looks how holywood actors looks at 50-60 or even 70 yrs old. So its fine joel can kick some ass still and shoot the hell out of them. Its only right move to go along with Elie for him , to make sure she will be as safe as she can.

scalman

Not trying to be rude...but how old are u actually ?

Cos to me u talk like a 6 grader....u keep pointing out the obvious...

Not saying it as a bad thing tho.....whatever keeps you entertained here....
so you saw that in games before ? just saying . and no im old enough and seen some shit . maybe its just eng language that im not used to so its sounds silly or something. all point there was that gif , not words .
think its good to be still young in heart.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

vs Joel

the-last-of-us-state-r4kuk.jpg

They are easily on the same playing field visually. Of course, the animation is/will be more nuanced in TLOU2... but remember one of these games is claimed as so visually realistic and amazing... and the other features bulky disproportionately sized marines....

Yo man try to remove Joel beard here....

I swear this new Joel look like an older Nathan Drake lol

TqKsXe4.png

Last edited:

julio_grr

Ahah no Joel and Nathan definitely do not have the same facial bones structure :)

Regarding animations, is it me or does Joel facial animation look off? Like it's just skin sliding on the bones/muscles? Or like only some small parts move independently (eyebrows, upper cheeks, chin), all moving their own little animations, but the whole face remains the same...

Dr Kaneda

Dodging is an uncharted mechanic making it's way into TLoU, that's a game with a very contextual melee combat as well.
Point is, usually in a shooter, you don't have a fleshed out melee combat like DMCV, at most you have a slow clunky melee like Souls series and that's best case scenario, something like Remnant?. ND found a way with contextual animations and what not to make this clunky melee actions cooler and since they are good at animating and stuff it really shows the quality. It's not about taking control away from the player, it's more about making something very simple and clunky look better. You still can throw objects on enemies faces to stun them it's only lacking a CQC system like MGS with the 3 or 4 hits and the grab variations, but you get the best of that game for this context. Choke, hostage, throwing enemies to the floor, and hand to hand combat.
Hand to hand combat is better than in MGS's if you ask me, since enemies here can defend themselves and are not caught staggered in a combo if you start before them.

It would be cool to aim for the head with melee weapons and stuff, but that is something that nobody else is doing either. Regarding CQC and shooting mechanics this is not that much far away of something like MGSV.
Think about it, what can't you do in TLoU that you can in MGS combat wise, not movement:
Non fatal hostages?
Shooting while prone?
ledge grabs?
chaining CQC?
IDK if this things would fit or make TLoU have better combat.
I think this GDC talk by the developer for TLoU's melee system will be pretty eye opening to a lot of people about the issues with TLoU's gameplay.

If you watch it you'll see that he outright says that they wanted to include more depth from a gameplay/user input point of view but they needed up scrapping it for 2 reasons:

1) They simply didn't have the ability as a team to do it. They tried to do too much, they wanted shooting, stealth, melee, crafting etc... and stretched too thin. They tried a few systems but could never get them to work right so scrapped them 4 months before release and had a total overhaul of the gameplay at that point. Whatever you opinions on the game, you have to admit that doing something like that isn't conducive to good final product.

2) And this is the important one. They actively wanted to avoid complexity from a user input point of view. They juggled with ideas like I mentioned such as additional button combos, longer button presses, timing, strategy etc.. but they concluded that this would "terrible" because it add too much difficulty and complexity for the player to learn and remember these abilities so they scrapped them. And then he all but admits that he replaced this actual complexity with apparent complexity in the form of contextual animations. So you get all the end feedback of doing complex moves etc.. without actually having to work for these moves through actual user control. He called this "good complexity".....

I mean it's good that they admitted they wanted to have more depth in the gameplay area and it was their own limitations that prevented them, so hopefully they've bridged that technical gap in TLoU2. But what's worrying is this notion that having difficult/complex gameplay system for the player to learn is to be actively avoided and instead dressed up with scripted animations. That's very worrying. And given that they've continued to go this way with the last 2 Uncharted games it's worrying that this might be a core development concept they don't want to move away from.

Last edited:

Keihart

I think this GDC talk by the developer for TLoU's melee system will be pretty eye opening to a lot of people about the issues with TLoU's gameplay.

If you watch it you'll see that he outright says that they wanted to include more depth from a gameplay/user input point of view but they needed up scrapping it for 2 reasons:

1) They simply didn't have the ability as a team to do it. They tried to do too much, they wanted shooting, stealth, melee, crafting etc... and stretched too thin. They tried a few systems but could never get them to work right so scrapped them 4 months before release and had a total overhaul of the gameplay at that point. Whatever you opinions on the game, you have to admit that doing something like that isn't conducive to good final product.

2) And this is the important one. They actively wanted to avoid complexity from a user input point of view. They juggled with ideas like I mentioned such as additional button combos, longer button presses, timing, strategy etc.. but they concluded that this would "terrible" because it add too much difficulty and complexity for the player to learn and remember these abilities so they scrapped them. And then he all but admits that he replaced this actual complexity with apparent complexity in the form of contextual animations. So you get all the end feedback of doing complex moves etc.. without actually having to work for these moves through actual user control. He called this "good complexity".....

I mean it's good that they admitted they wanted to have more depth in the gameplay area and it was their own limitations that prevented them, so hopefully they've bridged that technical gap in TLoU2. But what's worrying is this notion that having difficult/complex gameplay system for the player to learn is to be actively avoided and instead dressed up with scripted animations. That's very worrying. And given that they've continued to go this way with the last 2 Uncharted games it's worrying that this might be a core development concept they don't want to move away from.

Seems you understand it pretty well already, there is something as making things too complicated, more is not always better.
And dude, i LOVE games like DMCV but at some point, the devs have to make a decision about how the game is played and priorities, you can't just throw everything and the kitchen sink and expect it to just work. You don't just aim every gun in DMCV, that would be "too complicated" and the gameplay would not flow as elegant as it does now.
IMHO combos would not add much here for example, they used to be in Uncharted 1 at some level too. The games is very focused in survival so utility is what the combat should be focused on and not "Style", contextual moves serve this purpose very well while having "Style" as a by product. As a player you are only tasked to worry about the "oportunity" When you see an enemy close to a wall you know the oportunity is there to bash his head against it. In Uncharted 4 when you see an enemy below you, you know you are going for the take down, etc.
I think it is a good compromise.
There is no overly "automated" mechanics, is just the melee combat having some compromises to make the whole package work fluently. I have no doubts that there are middle grounds to be achieved, but it's never just about adding everything to it. As thanos would say...
iu

This is exactly what I've been trying to say when you guys say "animations are contextual" or "scripted based on how".
Yup, I think I realized what you meant when I wrote it, but I wanted internet points, so I clicked Post Replay anyway!

Look how much better and more interesting this looks
I'm not sure, it does look great... but you know.

They are easily on the same playing field visually. Of course, the animation is/will be more nuanced in TLOU2... but remember one of these games is claimed as so visually realistic and amazing... and the other features bulky disproportionately sized marines....

They do, at least in the cut scenes, Gears 5 itself doesn't look that great on consoles, the lighting is dull, and its world is less detailed than what I got from TLoU2 (or many other games) ... likely because it targets 60FPS, but still, it doesn't look good enough to be brought up as an example of amazing console graphics - the PC version is a different story.

NickFire

Are there financial benefits to releasing in February instead of before Xmas? I'm not complaining about the release date because my backlog is full enough, and I want to replay part 1 before 2 as well. But it seems odd to me that they wouldn't push to get this shipped before Xmas this year. I would think a bundled package of this game and a console would also sell pretty fast.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Theory: Ellie's love interest doesn't die. Instead she betrays Ellie because Ellie has been keeping her latent infection secret. They've mentioned the kiss twice now and the infection is past from one to another from a bite (the mouth). Why do I think Ellie has kept the secret from everyone? It makes sense that she'd want to do that but also, in the section where she faces off against the clicker, she's wearing a gas mask. She doesn't need to so that can only mean she was with someone who doesn't know she doesn't need to ... her love interest.

nowhat

Ellie's got tattoos now
There's a perfectly logical explanation for the tattoo - it covers her bite mark. You'll also notice she's wearing a gas mask in the trailer, but as per the first game, she doesn't need to, she's immune to the spores (and the infection in general). So either she has lost her mojo, or more likely, her "condition" is not a matter of public record.

Shagger

Banned
There's a perfectly logical explanation for the tattoo - it covers her bite mark. You'll also notice she's wearing a gas mask in the trailer, but as per the first game, she doesn't need to, she's immune to the spores (and the infection in general). So either she has lost her mojo, or more likely, her "condition" is not a matter of public record.

There's almost certainly more to it than just, more specifically more to the design. I wouldn't say what it was though even if I could figure it out, I'd rather find out by playing the game. I'll leave it to others to speculate.

mckmas8808

Banned
I believe Ellie's sexual preferences will be of minor importance in a game like this, especially considering her girlfriend gets murdered early on, or so it seems atleast. I would be very surprised if ND turned it into some woke, educational cringe fest with gay characters.

But what if ND decides to have many flash back scenes with the girlfriend in the game? Would that make it cringe-fest to you?

Ellie's out to kill them all, down to the last of them.

I suppose a revenge plot fits the post-apocalyptic setting and the theme of showing the worst of humanity, but it doesn't do it for me. Why not attempt a more hopeful direction where people rise above the dog-eat-dog mire? Maybe that'd come off as cheesy preachy?

Shagger

Banned
But what if ND decides to have many flash back scenes with the girlfriend in the game? Would that make it cringe-fest to you?

It shouldn't be a cringe fest to anyone. Think how you would feel if Ellie were straight and her girlfriend was a actually a boyfriend. Congratulations, you just found out how you should feel about it anyway. It's been five years since the Left Behind DLC and it's it about time people follow Ellie's lead and grow up.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
People living their normal lives, can't be considered "propaganda". CERTAIN people need to get a life and learn that they aren't the only ones that can be depicted in media.

What people are you talking about? This are videogames, those things you see on the screen are not real people being filmed, they are pixels created by some other people that wank over a certain identitary politics that you also wank to.

And yes, that's propaganda.

......With that, I am officially in. Pre-order will follow this post. Can't wait to play this on the highest difficulty possible from the start.

Yu Furealdo

I wonder what it'll be like on ps4 pro. If we get a performance mode ala God of War, I'll be so happy. Most likely just a res bump tho.

bosnianpie

That depends on the execution of course but I don't think so. Naughty Dog doesn't really strike me as a developer that must use the current political climate to make their games relevant or popular. I think main focus will be on totally different things than gay relationships. Revenge seems to be the driving force.

brap

Banned
Can you guys please stop bringing up lesbians and bring up that this game looks like some angsty teen girl bullshit based on a Young Adult novel for teen girls? The Last of Us 2: Hungry Games. Can't believe grown adults are excited for this shit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can you guys please stop bringing up lesbians and bring up that this game looks like some angsty teen girl bullshit based on a Young Adult novel for teen girls? The Last of Us 2: Hungry Games. Can't believe grown adults are excited for this shit.
Adults can like lesbians wtf sexist

all this over a girlfriend? I thought the stakes would be higher
They kill her dog too!
Says the guy with this avatar:
738933.jpg

What have we come to?
iu

But shes does look angry, at least she has some real reasons for it.

Last edited:

Keihart

I don't watch the show. Still says a lot about the adults excited for some teen girl video game.
What? do you feel the need to play as manly mans only? or grown ups only? do you need to be pandered with the avatar of the game?

Last edited:
That trailer looked great but the cover art is disappointing. Something like this would have been better:
look at the end of the video in this tweet, it looks like angry Ellie's face up close is on the actual cover, those two look made up.

in the section where she faces off against the clicker, she's wearing a gas mask
I don't think it's her, look at the air do, it's more like her girlfriend's head (but I may be wrong) - sometimes you have to hide things from those you love the most in order to protect them.
I don't watch the show. Still says a lot about the adults excited for some teen girl video game.
I don't know what the show is, I don't see how you can call this "teen girl video game", Ellie is not even a teen at this point, and I am fairly sure "teen girls" will in general prefer candy crush over this (obviously I am generalizing, but you know what I mean)... either way, just don't play it if you are afraid you may like something you should not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom