• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Franchise Has Made Over A Billion Dollars In Revenue

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
last-of-us-2.jpg

The Last of Us franchise has grossed a staggering $1 billion in revenue worldwide as of 2020, according to the LinkedIn profile of ex-studio head Michael Mumbauer. Naughty Dog’s adventure game series was mentioned alongside other popular Sony IPs like God of War and Uncharted as “billion-dollar franchises. And, considering the recent popularity of the show and the remake, this number might be even more substantial now.

the-last-of-uss-1536x590.jpg

But, do keep in mind that this info is only correct as of November as Mumbauer left PlayStation afterward. 2020’s The Last of Us Part II was his last project before he parted ways to join That’s No Moon. Consequently, this figure is only true for 2020 and could be much larger than the vague $1 billion landmark. Since the release of the second game in the franchise, the series has grown exponentially in popularity.

feynoob

Banned
the entire franchise sold over 37m if i remember.
"We are so proud to share that the entire The Last of Us franchise has sold through more than 37 million copies globally as of December 2022, and is continuing to reach new and old players every day

If we use $30+ average that is $1.110b+ sales. That is how much it generated overtime.

Sethbacca

I saw this yesterday and wanna go so bad but I just got back from blowing a shit ton of money at a music fest in Daytona like 3 weeks ago or I'd probably try to make it work.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Consequently, this figure is only true for 2020 and could be much larger than the vague $1 billion landmark. Since the release of the second game in the franchise, the series has grown exponentially in popularity.
The LinkedIn states 'Billion dollar franchise' not IP that grossed 1B$.

If we use $30+ average that is $1.110b+ sales. That is how much it generated overtime.
Estimates like that tend to substantially under-estimate revenue of these types of games.
Eg: original AC:2 made over 800M in revenue in first two years on the market - and that was under 10M unit sales. Granted - monetization isn't equal across different companies either - but it's worth noting that for major IPs, it's virtually never as simple as ASRP*Number of units.

Eiknarf

Banned
When’s the release date for the native PS5 version of The Last of Us Part 2 which will have the much needed awesome haptic feedback and trigger effects that TLOU Part 1 has?

Go play Part 1 PS5 version, then immediately play Part 2 PS4 upgraded version (the only version available) and you'll notice what's missing. It feels "lacking" in the DualSense.

And should be a good amount over that now as that was before the HBO show which led to a lot of sales for the remastered, Part 1 and Part 2

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just yesterday people were trying to tell me ND was dead and tlou2 killed the franchise lmao

Last edited:

SABRE220

That is impressive but Im curious about the associated costs. Sony has given naughty dog the biggest budgets and Im sure it made a healthy profit but I wonder what the combined costs would amount to and the resulting profit.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

They're not in the long run. A few golden eggs wont mean it's viable.
not sure on what facts this statement is based, ps4 was focusing on high budget games and Sony ended with records breakings results, we will see what they will gain with focusing more on gaas in few years

Top Bottom