• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Game Director Bruce Straley Calls for Unionization After HBO Credits Snub

Topher

Gold Member
Interview from August 2013. Seems obvious to me that Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were both heavily involved in creating all aspects of the game. Everything they say in this interview is "we".

GamesBeat: I’m very curious about inspirations and intentions in the way you told the story and the inspirations for the characters. Can you talk about some of those? Maybe the inspiration for Ellie, for example?

Druckmann:
When Bruce and I were working on Uncharted 2, we would brainstorm a lot of gameplay scenarios or story scenarios. One of the things we ended up calling “The Mute Girl” is a sequence of gameplay—Again, this was all just theoretical. Drake was in this war-torn city. He joined this rebel group that was fighting a civil war. They all bed down for the night, and one of the members of the group is this teenage girl, who is mute.

We started to brainstorm how you would form a bond through gameplay, where you can’t rely on dialogue. She would shake Drake awake in the middle of the night and motion for him to follow her. She’d start climbing up buildings and jumping gaps and you’re following her and seeing that she’s excited. She really wants to share something with you. As you’re climbing up on this rooftop of this building, you get to see a vista over this whole city as it’s lit up. You hear gunfire and stuff in the distance, but it’s this really beautiful moment that you get to share with this character, all through gameplay.

That idea stuck in the back of our minds when we started discussing our next project. That morphed into a question: could you build an entire game around this concept of meeting a character really early on and forming a bond that would evolve and shift as you see all the facets that a deep relationship between two people can have.

GamesBeat: A lot of people have said that this is a really good game. The sales are backing that up. But it’s in a crowded genre, this zombie genre. One of my editors called it a “zombie game,” and when I first heard that, I sort of did a double take. I never really thought of this as a zombie game. There are plenty of opportunities to have these kinds of moral dilemmas in this zombie genre, though. The Walking Dead is another good example of that. How do you tell a zombie story without falling into the trap of just being one more zombie game?

Straley:
When Neil and I were talking about the original idea, we were looking at a bunch of things as far as media – books we were reading, movies we were watching – that all came together. We saw this opportunity where survival horror, or whatever you want to call it, gave us an opportunity to develop characters inside of that world. Nobody had really done that in video games yet. Taking what we’d learned from the Uncharted series, studying the craft of creating characters and paralleling that with the conflict in gameplay and conflict in stories, we can make you as a player feel more of what it’s truly like to exist inside of a world where every bullet counts and each step you take is a conscious choice that’s going to make or break your existence.

The pressures of the world allow us to develop interesting characters. They force characters to make interesting choices. That’s where it started. Most of the games out there at the time were kind of cartoonish B-movie takes on it. We wanted to ground it and make it more serious. We felt like the more intimate we made the story, the more intimate we made the combat, the more we could make players feel what it would be like to have to exist as a survivor. We seized that opportunity.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just like Sony create TLOU then
Just read.

You got anything from when 2013?

Edit, Thanks Topher Topher

But it looks like Bruce was lying, Neil came up with it all a decade before.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I feel for Bruce, because he helped build the studio's biggest IPs, and doesn't really get credit. Uncharted is often cited as Amy Hennig's baby, which is certainly true, but it's also Straley's. He made sure it kept its lighthearted core for as long as he was involved.

If I recall correctly, Druckmann's original story for 'The Last of Us' was actually the plot of the second game, TLOUII. Straley basically shot it down because it didn't really work, and it would be hard for players to go along with. So, they re-worked the plot into the first game, and it went on to great success. After Straley left Naughty Dog, and Druckmann took over the studio, the first thing Druckmann did was make his original story, now titled 'The Last of Us Part 2'. And it wasn't received anywhere near as well. That suggests, to me, that Straley has incredibly keen storytelling senses. And a mind that sharp would be contributing in a thousand different ways every day. Professional courtesy should get Straley's name attached to "The Last of Us" as often as Druckmann's. However, Druckmann's put in the overtime to make sure he's "The Last of Us" guy, so Straley has been left in the wings. As they say, "history is written by the victors", and Druckmann is co-president of Naughty Dog now.

Hopefully, Straley gets his credit; he helped create "The Last of Us" from nothing, and helped make the studio what it is today.

Katajx

Gold Member
The mental gymnastics is strong here. No one gets points for defending people associated with their favorite plastic box.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Unfortunately that's how it works. You get paid to come up with ideas.

Konami literally erased kojimas name from metal gear
You know what I was asking you just didn't want to say Shinji Mikami.
You could of said Kenichi Iwao, as he wrote it.

SLB1904

Banned
You know what I was asking you just didn't want to say Shinji Mikami.
You could of said Kenichi Iwao, as he wrote it.
Honestly I don't know. And if I had to guess I would say kamiya for some reason lol
The resident evil franchise for some reason has being all over the shop. But now that you mentioned. Is shinji isn't it

Topher

Gold Member
Just like Sony create TLOU then

You got anything from when 2013?

Edit, Thanks Topher Topher

But it looks like Bruce was lying, Neil came up with it all a decade before.

Reading that interview it sounds like two directors engaged in a full collaboration to me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Katajx

Gold Member
You are the one paranoid with plastic boxes.
This is a about a tv show.
Yes, for a game made by Sony. Certain individuals seem to take those criticisms as personally.

On the topic of the TV show, I like it. The story the show was based on was also worked on by the individual listed in the name of the topic.

The Last of Us was better with both Straley and Druckmann.

Last edited:

Stooky

Just because your credit title is game director doesn’t you had no hand in the creation of the story. In a heavy story based game Game director and creative director both have huge influence on story

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yes, for a game made by Sony. Certain individuals seem to take those criticisms as personally.

On the topic of the TV show, I like it. The story the show was based on
You just being paranoid with console wars. You are in a gaming forum. So whatever news is reported here will be about the relevant gaming companies. And whatever opinion doesn't go your way surely is about plastic boxes.

was also worked on by the individual listed in the name of the topic.
It wasn't. Now that you know that. You'll finally understand what we are discussing

Wow this hit the nail on the head with my criticisms of LOU2’s story. A lot of it just felt unearned to make the story work - maybe Bruce did have more of a say.

Weirdly the gameplay itself is much better

Hugare

Amy and Bruce left and Druckmann rises.
Don't know why we pretend to ignore what really happened just because it's ND.
Amy was incompetent as a game director, Uncharted 4 was in development hell so Neil came to finish the game.

Bruce left, wasnt fired, due to burnout. He left because he wanted to.

No conspiracy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You know when you write something you actually have to write. Right? Pen and paper all of that
I personally don't think Bruce is a liar. And we saw 2 major creatives leave while working alongside Neil while he took control of the entire studio.

You can think what you want. Seems super likely that Neil is a bit shady to me. Talented but shady as fuck.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I personally don't think Bruce is a liar. And we saw 2 major creatives leave while working alongside Neil while he took control of the entire studio.

You can think what you want. Seems super likely that he's a bit shady to me. Talented but shady as fuck.
Bruce didn't write and he never claimed he did. You can collaborate with someone doesn't mean you are also a writer

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Lot of bad blood around Neil.
This has nothing to do with Neil lol. This is HBO not wanting to put Straley in the credits so they dont have to pay him
Im going to take the word of one of the top 3 people at Naughty Dog. Bruce. (The others being Amy and Neil)
Neil literally wrote TLOU as well as Part II. On Part II he worked with Halley Gross.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This has nothing to do with Neil lol. This is HBO not wanting to put Straley in the credits so they dont have to pay him

Neil literally wrote TLOU as well as Part II. On Part II he worked with Halley Gross.
HBO probably doesn't even know who Bruce is. The point is he feels wronged by having zero acknowledgment or payment after literally being the 2nd most important guy on the game. Im done arguing with you guys. This is not some anonymous source lol. Its the number 2 guy on the game lol.

SLB1904

Banned
Because you were there and know better than Bruce? He's literally the #2 guy for the entire modern age of ND.
Ffs dude. They dont put your name on credits on a wimpy. If Bruce wrote he would be credited as a Co writer. What's wrong with you. Show me where Bruce said he wrote it?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ffs dude. They dont put your name on credits on a wimpy. If Bruce wrote he would be credited as a Co writer. What's wrong with you. Show me where Bruce said he wrote it?
Why would you ever ask me when you can just read the opinion of the number 2 guy on the game?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
HBO probably doesn't even know who Bruce is. The point is he feels wronged by having zero acknowledgment or payment after literally being the 2nd most important guy on the game. Im done arguing with you guys. This is not some anonymous source lol. Its the number 2 guy on the game lol.
You are literally out here saying Neil didnt write TLOU - thats my only issue with what youre saying because its flat out wrong

SLB1904

Banned
Why would hbo pay a guy that worked on a game? For what reason? Are you serious 😆 and just because you get credit doesn't mean you get paid. Only the owners get paid. In this case naughty dog. Neil will get paid for the work he did on the show

Why would you ever ask me when you can just read the opinion of the number 2 guy on the game?
What an opinion got to do with the fact he wasn't credited as a writer?
Bruce is complaining about not being credited for his contribution 🙄

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Why would hbo pay a guy that worked on a game? For what reason? Are you serious 😆 and just because you get credit doesn't mean you get paid. Only the owners get paid. In this case naughty dog. Neil will get paid for the work he did on the show
Yeah no shit. Which is why he argues for a union. Now you've caught up to post #1 in this thread. That's literally what he is saying. He created enough of it that he is feeling robbed.

Tripolygon

Banned
The sole writer credit for the game is credited to Neil in the game.
Screenshot-2023-01-19-181251.png

Nobody gets credited as creator because there are hundreds of people who created the game. Neil gets to be credited because he is the sole writer and his work is what is being adapted on the pages of the show and he is a co-writer for some episodes. He is also a producer on the show as well as a director on the show.

The entire Naughty Dog Studio gets credited as the original creators of the IP
codKXGU.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The sole writer credit for the game is credited to Neil in the game.
Screenshot-2023-01-19-181251.png

Nobody gets credited as creator because there are hundreds of people who created the game. Neil gets to be credited because he is the sole writer and his work is what is being adapted on the pages of the show and he is a co-writer for some episodes. He is also a producer on the show as well as a director on the show.

The entire Naughty Dog Studio gets credited as the original creators of the IP
codKXGU.png
Im assuming Bruce had issues with the initial credits as well. He left the studio.

I dont even like ND games so I don't care that much. Just saying I know who this guy is. And I know who Amy is. And I smell shady bullshit.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yeah no shit. Which is why he argues for a union. Now you've caught up to post #1 in this thread. That's literally what he is saying. He created enough of it that he is feeling robbed.
You really made me go back and read the thread. Again he's talking about the contribution and not be rewarded enough. Which is a moot point anyway. Sony owned his ass.

I'm talking about the hard fact of the writer is Neil. I didn't say he didn't contribute on the world build.

Im assuming Bruce had issues with the initial credits as well. He left the studio.

Nonsense. He went to work on Uncharted 4

Last edited:
Top Bottom