• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Game Director Bruce Straley Calls for Unionization After HBO Credits Snub

iHaunter

Neil Duck Man fucking over another creative in the studio that he's working at to get ahead and take all the credit?

im-shoked-im-shocked.gif
I'm not a huge fan of Niel. But that's a huge very unsupported assumption.

Topher

Gold Member
Difference is, Neil is a writer on the show as well as the game.

The game credits are identical between both.

Nobody from ND was a writer on the Uncharted movie.

Yeah, what I thought this was about and what it is really about turned out to be are two different things. Really Straley isn't saying anything about Druckmann at all. Straley wants to be paid/get credit for the TV adaptation of a game he "co-created". Has nothing to do with the fact that Druckmann is credited with writing TLOU, which he factually did. No one is credited for "creating" TLOU at all.

Varteras

Gold Member
Actually, it is - hence Straley's comments. Of course, it's up to an individual to chase their credits if they're not given - if Straley wants to pursue it, he has grounds to do so, but it's up to him if its worth the legal fees.

From another post I made:

The man needs to show some receipts for what he claims are his contributions. Even if it was Straley and Druckmann to start going half and half on ideas, how many, in the end, were Straley's that were used? And when other people got involved, how many more of his ideas were thrown out or so heavily altered you could barely call it his anymore? There is apparently a claim that one character was his. If that is true, credit the man with that. Credit given where it is due. But if none of his original ideas were used and he ultimately just contributed to the story where he went, "Wait! What if instead of one Clicker in this scene... there were TWO!" then no. The man doesn't get shit. He was the Game Director. Druckmann was the Creative Director and was the only one credited with writing the story. So as of right now his claim is a bit dubious. We have no concrete information that confirms he really came up with anything substantial universe-wise that stuck in the final product. Again, if he really did create something unique for the world, then he has an argument. But if pretty much none of it really ended up being his and he just focused on gameplay mechanics while the writer came up with all the unique things, then he needs to move on like he did years ago.

And as far as his comments go, he'd be far from the first person to ask for credit where he doesn't deserve it.

He was given a thanks in the credits at the end of TLOU2. A pat on the back. That's the best he can hope for anymore unless he can show that he deserves more.

Straley could be the sole creator of the last of us and he would have no leg to stand on.

It's a property wholely owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Going forward, he did nothing to expand on it. Naughty Dog turned this into a cash cow, not him. He is a complete joke/trash person to try to put his hand out after he bowed out while people kept working to build on this franchise.

TLOU Remastered
TLOU 2
TLOUP1
TLOU HBO

He had nothing to do with any of that.

What a complete piece of shit.

ZehDon

From another post I made:...
No idea why you re-posted any of this, you should just Google the making of the game instead of accusing Bruce Straley of lying.

According to Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley's many interviews, the original version of the story for "The Last of Us" was actually the plot that Druckmann would recycle for "The Last of Us Part 2". Straley vetoed that plotline, because it didn't really work in his mind. So, Straley and Druckmann re-worked the story into what would become "The Last of Us", the acclaimed video game that is now being turned into a TV Show. Druckmann wrote the dialogue and the screen play for the game, but the narrative and scenario appears to be Druckmann and Straley. So, is Neil Druckmann's statements also "dubious"? Or, did you fail to do anything resembling research before you decided Straley was lying?
In crediting disputes, it's worth noting that Guilds typically favour sole creditors over multi-creditors. For example, if you're the Director and Producer and Writer, and someone says "Hey, I also wrote this!", the Guild will favour that single writer and give them a co-writing credit. This is to allow folks who make money doing only one thing to be properly paid, and because collaborations are pretty hard to divide up. It's impossible to quantify individual efforts and definitively say "this person did 21.5% of the writing, which falls beneath the 23.765% threshold required for a co-writing credit". To this point, if HBO only credited "game by Naughty Dog" instead of "game by Naughty Dog written by Neil Druckmann" then I wouldn't say a word. The game was made by a lot of people, who can say who's contributions were more important? But, Druckmann made sure he got his name singled out over everyone else's - even though he's already got a Producer and a Director and another writing credit. Well, he's already told everyone he didn't do it alone, so, if he gets singled out, Straley get's singled out too. Hence Straley's comments.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
The man needs to show some receipts for what he claims are his contributions. Even if it was Straley and Druckmann to start going half and half on ideas, how many, in the end, were Straley's that were used? And when other people got involved, how many more of his ideas were thrown out or so heavily altered you could barely call it his anymore? There is apparently a claim that one character was his. If that is true, credit the man with that. Credit given where it is due. But if none of his original ideas were used and he ultimately just contributed to the story where he went, "Wait! What if instead of one Clicker in this scene... there were TWO!" then no. The man doesn't get shit. He was the Game Director. Druckmann was the Creative Director and was the only one credited with writing the story. So as of right now his claim is a bit dubious. We have no concrete information that confirms he really came up with anything substantial universe-wise that stuck in the final product. Again, if he really did create something unique for the world, then he has an argument. But if pretty much none of it really ended up being his and he just focused on gameplay mechanics while the writer came up with all the unique things, then he needs to move on like he did years ago.

And as far as his comments go, he'd be far from the first person to ask for credit where he doesn't deserve it.

He was given a thanks in the credits at the end of TLOU2. A pat on the back. That's the best he can hope for anymore unless he can show that he deserves more.
Not even close. Does this sound like The Last of Us to you?

"One example that has already been mentioned countless times is the Tess revenge plot. In one of the earlier versions of the TLoU story Tess had a brother, a border guard of the Boston QZ, who got killed in a fire fight started by Joel in order to protect Ellie (official concept art from Naughty Dog). Tess would then take her whole gang and pursue Joel across the entire country for revenge, brutally torturing him in the end (official concept art).

That idea was eventually abandoned because it makes absolutely no sense in a post-apocalyptic setting, and when one takes a look at the following interview then it seems that Bruce Straley's input was critical in this instance:

Who was the antagonist in that iteration?
Druckmann: Tess was the antagonist chasing Joel, and she ends up torturing him at the end of the game to find out where Ellie went, and Ellie shows up and shoots and kills Tess. And that was going to be the first person Ellie killed. But we could never make that work, so…
Straley: Yeah, it was really hard to keep somebody motivated just by anger. What is the motivation to track, on a vengeance tour across an apocalyptic United States, to get, what is it, revenge? You just don’t buy into it, when the stakes are so high, where every single day we’re having the player play through experiences where they’re feeling like it’s tense and difficult just to survive. And then how is she, just suddenly for story’s sake, getting away with it? And yeah, the ending was pretty convoluted, so I think Neil pretty much hammered his head against the wall, trying to figure it out. I think he came up with a good, really nice, simplified version of that, and it worked out. --> 2013 Empire Interview

To me it feels like Straley is trying to be diplomatic here, but when one reads between the lines then it seems that he had to reject Druckmann over and over and over again until he finally got it into his thick egotistical skull. It almost sounds a bit patronizing how Straley is politely criticizing and at the same time also trying to compliment him here.
"

Because that would be Druckmann TLOU. Part II basically, originally scrapped because of obvious reasons.

Let's not forget entire fan favorite Bill character (Offerman in the TV series) was mostly a Straley creation according to Druckmann.

Varteras

Gold Member
No idea why you re-posted any of this, you should just Google the making of the game instead of accusing Bruce Straley of lying.

According to Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley's many interviews, the original version of the story for "The Last of Us" was actually the plot that Druckmann would recycle for "The Last of Us Part 2". Straley vetoed that plotline, because it didn't really work in his mind. So, Straley and Druckmann re-worked the story into what would become "The Last of Us", the acclaimed video game that is now being turned into a TV Show. Druckmann wrote the dialogue and the screen play for the game, but the narrative and scenario appears to be Druckmann and Straley. So, is Neil Druckmann's statements also "dubious"? Or, did you fail to do anything resembling research before you decided Straley was lying?
In crediting disputes, it's worth noting that Guilds typically favour sole creditors over multi-creditors. For example, if you're the Director and Producer and Writer, and someone says "Hey, I also wrote this!", the Guild will favour that single writer and give them a co-writing credit. This is to allow folks who make money doing only one thing to be properly paid, and because collaborations are pretty hard to divide up. It's impossible to quantify individual efforts and definitively say "this person did 21.5% of the writing, which falls beneath the 23.765% threshold required for a co-writing credit". To this point, if HBO only credited "game by Naughty Dog" instead of "game by Naughty Dog written by Neil Druckmann" then I wouldn't say a word. The game was made by a lot of people, who can say who's contributions were more important? But, Druckmann made sure he got his name singled out over everyone else's - even though he's already got a Producer and a Director and another writing credit. Well, he's already told everyone he didn't do it alone, so, if he gets singled out, Straley get's singled out too. Hence Straley's comments.
Because I wasn't going to go sifting through the internet to look for something I'm not THAT invested in. If he does in fact have stuff that he was clearly responsible for, then yes, he should get credit. As I said in my post. I had only heard of him focusing mostly on gameplay and possibly creating one character. But if he really did have that much input into the world, he definitely deservers credit that Druckmann seems to be taking entirely for himself.

Vick Vick Thank you for providing sources!

This would be like Anne Groelle, who is GRRM's editor on his ASOIAF books, demanding to be listed and credited on Game of Thrones.

It's absurd.

I say this as neither a fan of Druckmann or TLOU as a game series. (Played the first one, thought it was okay, but did not like it enough to be interested in the sequel).

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Bruce created and DIRECTED the biggest game Naughty Dog ever made, and some of you say that due to him not being involved in the remasters and Part II, everyone should go on like he never did anything?
Dont make me laugh.
He deserves to be credited on anything TLOU. Everything TLOU achieved, it was also thanks to him, and you trying to downplay him just because he thinks he should be credited on the show, WHICH FOLLOWS THE GAME HE CREATED, looks very very stupid.

Vick

Gold Member
Which was based on made up unsubstantiated drama for sensationalized media.
That's not entirely correct though, is it?

"I think whatshisface – I’m not a fan – the guy that kind of stole credit for it," said Carnahan, referring to Druckmann. Discussing Film clarified his name, and the writer responded, "Yeah, that jerkoff. Whatever, there was a bit of saboteuring there going on with Naughty Dog."#

“Amy created that world and she was the one that I really wanted to please. That other guy, whatever the hell his name is, he’s a hitchhiker."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/201...r_joe_carnahan_calls_neil_druckmann_a_jerkoff

ZehDon

Because I wasn't going to go sifting through the internet to look for something I'm not THAT invested in...
You... understand that this is actually way worse, right? Instead of forming an educated opinion, you'll just outright accuse public figures of lying after reading several pages of posts in a thread, one post of which you've apparently gone and posted in an entirely different thread that you went and found so you could copy/paste it here again because it was just so insightful that it was required reading twice, all for something you actively refuse to learn about, all for a topic you're (apparently) "not THAT invested in"? If you know you don't know anything then why are you posting at all?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Imagine being the director of part 1 where a TV show pretty much copies your entire direction and not getting credited at all?

That's wild.

Varteras

Gold Member
You... understand that this is actually way worse, right? Instead of forming an educated opinion, you'll just outright accuse public figures of lying after reading several pages of posts in a thread, one post of which you've apparently gone and posted in an entirely different thread that you went and found so you could copy/paste it here again because it was just so insightful that it was required reading twice, all for something you actively refuse to learn about, all for a topic you're (apparently) "not THAT invested in"? If you know you don't know anything then why are you posting at all?
Bro, this shit isn't that serious. I came to a video game forum to talk bout video games. This is an occasional distraction for me and no one important who could influence anything is going to read what I say or care if they happen to. I was willing to take in new information and accept that my initial position was based on inaccurate information and thus a bad position to take. Which was presented directly to me by other forum goers. But this seems to mean a good deal to you so good luck with that.

Varteras

Gold Member
Then why did you post a short manifesto calling Bruce Straley a liar?
Lol exactly. It was short. Get over it. I killed some time, gave my quick opinion based on what I knew at the time, and was informed otherwise. Which I accepted and moved on. You should too unless you get off hanging on to stuff like this.

damidu

... you're aware that credit disputes happen literally all of the time in entertainment, right? Typically, for screen credits, this is handled by the various guilds. Straley's comment about Unions is because there is no Union or Guild for him to take this kind of grievence to. Credit disputes are rarely mallice on the part of studios, funnily enough. They usually come about because creative Party A mis-represented their efforts to financier/publisher Party C, leaving creative Party B out. So, Party C simply credits Party A, entirely not realising they cut out Party B until Party B tells them so. In this case, HBO put Druckmann's writing credit separate to Naughty Dog's credit because they were requested to do so. They did not put Straley's credit in because no one requested it be added. Given that Druckmann runs Naughty Dog, and is now solely credited for "The Last of Us" as a result, Druckmann is Party A, Straley is Party B, and HBO is Party C. Frankly, I doubt HBO has the first fucking clue who did what for the game, they just put the credits in like Druckmann/Naughty Dog told them to.
oh you doubt, so i was right, tales from your ass without any receipt

Last edited:

Stare-Bear

Banned
But he didn’t think of unionisation when the ND team was doing some serious crunch during development.

Pretty wild to call for unionisation, not for better working conditions or more compensation for artists, but because he didn’t get his name on the credits of a tv show he had nothing to do with.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of Niel. But that's a huge very unsupported assumption.
They kicked Amy Hennig out and Druckmann took over Uncharted 4. That's not an "unsupported assumption". Even Nolan North, the actor who played the lead in the game, confirmed that they were already months into shooting the performance capture with a different cast and a different story when this happened.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is what happens when we have hardly any true next-gen games on the horizon from any platform or developer...

Over It Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO

5 page long threads about some dude's name in the credits in a tv show
I'd rather talk about this than reading a thread where people argue over which console is better for the billionth time in a row.

SLB1904

Banned
Bruce created and DIRECTED the biggest game Naughty Dog ever made, and some of you say that due to him not being involved in the remasters and Part II, everyone should go on like he never did anything?
Dont make me laugh.
He deserves to be credited on anything TLOU. Everything TLOU achieved, it was also thanks to him, and you trying to downplay him just because he thinks he should be credited on the show, WHICH FOLLOWS THE GAME HE CREATED, looks very very stupid.
Tall about delusional

geary

I dont get this. You are hired by a company to offer your services in writing, creation, composing…whatever and you are paid for your services. He was an employee for Sony at that moment. Why there is so much entitlement in the gaming industry.

Dont make me laugh.

Should Jason Rubin get credited? He didn't make the Last of Us, but he started Naughty Dog. Should he get a payout as well?

I like Jason, but that's a stretch.

If I sell you visual studio and you make a great application, should I get a cut of the revenue from your app, even if that wasn't the original agreement? Well your app is big now, so I should get a bit more right?

He left the company, he wasn't fired. Some of you people just don't know how this works...

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions...

Whitecrow

Banned
Should Jason Rubin get credited? He didn't make the Last of Us, but he started Naughty Dog. Should he get a payout as well?
What kind of comparison is that?
You are saying that people should not get credit for things they didnt work on.

How does that apply to not get credit for the things they did work on?

Dont tell other people that they dont know how things work if your logic is this flawed...

Dont tell other people that they dont know how things work if your logic is this flawed...

Did Bruce work on Tlou HBO series???

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Straley could be the sole creator of the last of us and he would have no leg to stand on.

It's a property wholely owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Going forward, he did nothing to expand on it. Naughty Dog turned this into a cash cow, not him. He is a complete joke/trash person to try to put his hand out after he bowed out while people kept working to build on this franchise.

TLOU Remastered
TLOU 2
TLOUP1
TLOU HBO

He had nothing to do with any of that.

What a complete piece of shit.
I agree he hasn't done anything to push it forward but what you listed shows in the last ten years they release a divisive sequel and re-released the original twice and made a made a TV Show.
I wouldn't say that's really building the franchise.
Even releasing multiple sequels is classed as milking the franchise.
So I don't know what that's called.

But you are right, without specifics we can't really say what or not he should be credited for other then how the original was directed.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Scrolling through the messages ITT that say Straley had nothing to do with this show and therefore shouldn't be credited - none of you seem to get what this is about.

I mean, yeah, sure, Bruce Straley wasn't working on this show so he shouldn't be credited as its creator. Fair enough.

HOWEVER.

He was the co-creator of the original video game, and the show's first episode lifts the story and entire lines of dialogue, and often even specific shots pretty much verbatim from that game, with only some minor changes that were made either to provide additional context, or in lieu of video game action scenes. Okay, if Straley still wasn't credited anywhere, technically it would still be fair game, although a bit dickish at this point.

But the biggest fuck you to Straley here is the fact that Neil Druckmann credited HIMSELF as the sole writer on the original story in the specific credit that mentions the source material:
CrbfQGN.png

Now THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is where Bruce Straley should've been credited. And I totally get why he got so mad about this shit.

If the video game industry had guilds for their creators, artists, and other talent, kinda like they do in the movie industry, then this wouldn't even be allowed to happen.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've a lot of respect for Bruce, but wasn't he the Game Director? Neil was the Creative Director of The Last of Us, which means he is rightly credited as "Written by Neil Druckmann."

Other than that callout, the entire Naughty Dog studio is credited for the game in HBO credits -- which includes Bruce. Bruce wants a separate mention? I think that seems a bit unfair because the promotion/credit is for the Show, not the game, and Bruce is not part of the TV Show at all.

Another example is: God of War Ragnarok. Cory Barlog wrote the game and was the Creative Director. Eric Williams was the Game Director. No one credits Eric for writing the story of God of War Ragnarok. Cory also mandated the major beats of the story that Eric had to follow.

It seems like a needless controversy at this stage.

I agree he hasn't done anything to push it forward but what you listed shows in the last ten years they release a divisive sequel and re-released the original twice and made a made a TV Show.
I wouldn't say that's really building the franchise.
Even releasing multiple sequels is classed as milking the franchise.
So I don't know what that's called.

But you are right, without specifics we can't really say what or not he should be credited for other then how the original was directed.

And yet the PS4 version is the best selling PS4 game out right now. The PS5 game is sold out on Amazon.

These moves have proved to be brilliant.

The game is about to be experienced by million of more people and could end up more popular than it ever was on the PS3/PS4, which is wild.

You're talking about taking a game that topped out at about 10 million units per iteration, that could end up selling another 10-20 million copies on PS5/PC and the PS4 remaster.

That's not really milking a series. They just recognized that the 2014 game was too old to promote to new players in 2023 when the show would heighten interest. And that was largely correct.

I'm telling you, even if he came up with the idea of TLOU and made the game by himself, he still wouldn't have a leg to sit on in getting credited here. That's up to Sony to decide. He has nothing to do with Naughty Dog, Sony, or HBO. Naughty Dog as a studio is listed as a production company, and was credited in the show, that's as much as he can hope for.

Spoiler alert Bruce had nothing to do with the creation of the show. He wasn't in the pitch meetings, he didn't work on the sequel, he wasn't out there promoting the show or the franchise. He didn't build a relationship with a showrunner HBO knows and trusted.

He can go pound sand.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've a lot of respect for Bruce, but wasn't he the Game Director? Neil was the Creative Director of The Last of Us, which means he is rightly credited as "Written by Neil Druckmann."

Other than that callout, the entire Naughty Dog studio is credited for the game in HBO credits -- which includes Bruce. Bruce wants a separate mention? I think that seems a bit unfair because the promotion/credit is for the Show, not the game, and Bruce is not part of the TV Show at all.

Another example is: God of War Ragnarok. Cory Barlog wrote the game and was the Creative Director. Eric Williams was the Game Director. No one credits Eric for writing the story of God of War Ragnarok. Cory also mandated the major beats of the story that Eric had to follow.

It seems like a needless controversy at this stage.
Seems like there's a lot of he said-she said bullshit here but if you'll examine past behind-the-scenes materials, interviews, and all that stuff, it's pretty clear that both of them equally contributed to various elements of the story and game's design as directors. The reason why this line between responsibilities is a bit blurry is also a result of lack of worker's unions.

Bottom line is, Druckmann propping himself up like this in the show's credits is a bit of a dick move and it shows what an opportunist he is. In a perfect world that credit should go to Naughty Dog, without singling out any specific creative leads who worked on it.

Last edited:

iorek21

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I didn’t see his name on the “Based on” section of the opening. I wondered if anyone would call it out.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems like there's a lot of he said-she said bullshit here but if you'll examine past behind-the-scenes materials, interviews, and all that stuff, it's pretty clear that both of them equally contributed to various elements of the story and game's design as directors. The reason why this line between responsibilities is a bit blurry is also a result of lack of worker's unions.
It's always a collaborative effort to make something like this, but there are still definitive roles that get credit for their respective jobs.

Neil must have contributed a lot to the gameplay mechanics and designs, but he is not credited as a game director, right? He is credited for writing the game because he was the Creative Director.

Just like Neil isn't credited as the Game Director, despite his contributions, Bruce isn't credited as the Creative Director for his contributions to the story.

If the collaboration had been too significant, they'd be credited as co-directors, but that's not the case as we know.

Bottom line is, Druckmann propping himself up like this in the show's credits is a bit of a dick move and it shows what an opportunist he is. In a perfect world that credit should go to Naughty Dog, without singling out any specific creative leads who worked on it.
Again, Bruce was the game director. The game isn't being discussed in the show (because there is no gameplay).

However, the game's story and the game's characters are major parts of the show, which is why the writer is singled out. He is also directing an episode on the show. It makes sense why he would (and should be) credited.

It's the same reason why adapted movies says "based on the book written by ABC," but as we all know that the writer of the book isn't the only person who is responsible for it. There are other contributors as well as team members: researchers, publishers, editors. They don't get mentioned by names for the same reason why Bruce isn't being mentioned by name in the HBO TLOU show.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Spoiler alert Bruce had nothing to do with the creation of the show. He wasn't in the pitch meetings, he didn't work on the sequel, he wasn't out there promoting the show or the franchise. He didn't build a relationship with a showrunner HBO knows and trusted.

He can go pound sand.

he is literally the director and co creator of the first game....I think its ok for him to vent a little that it would have been nice for him to be included in the credits when he literally created key characters, directed the game and icame up with plot points that they are literally copying 1:1 in the show.

he is literally the director and co creator of the first game....I think its ok for him to vent a little that it would have been nice for him to be included in the credits when he literally created key characters, directed the game and icame up with plot points that they are literally copying 1:1 in the show.

Even if Neil had quit 3 years ago, he wouldn't be entitled to compensation or credit for the show.

Again Bruce had nothing to do with the show. That was his choice, he left the company, and that is the consequence of leaving.

Dude probably lost out on millions of dollars as a result and instead started some niche game company for whom no one will buy their games. It's a sad result for him, but again, it was his own doing.

I feel he possibly could be credited as it's based on the original game but it's still a grey area on how much he did create from scratch to advising/directing on what's been created, is he under the Naughty Dog banner or a heavy writer as well. You could extrapolate it further and say even more had a hand in creation of what TLOU is, all sorts of details and directions that shape the world and characters will have been put forward by many working on the game, he was one of the head people.

Maybe the credits should be Naughty Dog and the two core creators/writers Straley Druckmann. if the credit is writer then perhaps only Druckmann qualifies, I don't think fleshing out a character qualifies. If I'm someone watching this that is really impressed with the writing and want to hire one of these guys responsible only to find out Straley was just responsible for fleshing out a character, that's hugely different to writing the game or even directing. You have a writer and someone overseeing the product, two really different skills, some can do both. If I want TLOU writer for my game I want the person who has written the majority of it and work with my director.

Writer and Director are huge parts so I think the credits should Naughty Dog and the main people whether that be 2,3,4 people.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's always a collaborative effort to make something like this, but there are still definitive roles that get credit for their respective jobs.

Neil must have contributed a lot to the gameplay mechanics and designs, but he is not credited as a game director, right? He is credited for writing the game because he was the Creative Director.

Just like Neil isn't credited as the Game Director, despite his contributions, Bruce isn't credited as the Creative Director for his contributions to the story.

If the collaboration had been too significant, they'd be credited as co-directors, but that's not the case as we know.

Again, Bruce was the game director. The game isn't being discussed in the show (because there is no gameplay).

However, the game's story and the game's characters are major parts of the show, which is why the writer is singled out. He is also directing an episode on the show. It makes sense why he would (and should be) credited.

It's the same reason why adapted movies says "based on the book written by ABC," but as we all know that the writer of the book isn't the only person who is responsible for it. There are other contributors as well as team members: researchers, publishers, editors. They don't get mentioned by names for the same reason why Bruce isn't being mentioned by name in the HBO TLOU show.
Writing a book isn't a collaborative effort, lol. All those other people dancing around it are there just to help get it published but the author is the sole creative person writing it. Bad example.

Anyway, you don't seem to get it. Like I said, if you examine the evidence closely, it's very clear that they both had a huge input in both game design and writing, and Druckmann isn't the only person who deserves a writing credit here. Simple as that.

Top Bottom