• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Game Director Bruce Straley Calls for Unionization After HBO Credits Snub

The show is going to tell a story he created.
So yeah, there would be no show without him. They are literally using HIS WORK. There's no way he should not be credited.

Also, should JK not get credits on Hogwarts Legacy because she didnt make the game?

Bullshit.

Honestly your logic is bullshit.

Scrolling through the messages ITT that say Straley had nothing to do with this show and therefore shouldn't be credited - none of you seem to get what this is about.

I mean, yeah, sure, Bruce Straley wasn't working on this show so he shouldn't be credited as its creator. Fair enough.

HOWEVER.

He was the co-creator of the original video game, and the show's first episode lifts the story and entire lines of dialogue, and often even specific shots pretty much verbatim from that game, with only some minor changes that were made either to provide additional context, or in lieu of video game action scenes. Okay, if Straley still wasn't credited anywhere, technically it would still be fair game, although a bit dickish at this point.

But the biggest fuck you to Straley here is the fact that Neil Druckmann credited HIMSELF as the sole writer on the original story in the specific credit that mentions the source material:
CrbfQGN.png

Now THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is where Bruce Straley should've been credited. And I totally get why he got so mad about this shit.

If the video game industry had guilds for their creators, artists, and other talent, kinda like they do in the movie industry, then this wouldn't even be allowed to happen.

Is that wrong?
Even in the game Bruce is credited as Game Director and Neil is credited as Writer.
AzV8VrR.png

Last edited:
So why wasn't any other developer/artist credited? I think he is the gameplay director of the game, right? That's why...

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
davonne-rogers-pretends-to-be-shocked.gif

Hey peeps ! Another douchy behavior from the douchemaster general y'all !
How can Druckmann not credit the dude who made him successfull ?
Bruce Straley was the dude who held his leash on part 1 and U4 so he did not go shitting and pissing everywhere on the script like the naughty dog he is. He wasn't there for part 2 so be careful where you step playing it storywise :messenger_grinning_sweat:

edit : held his leash not held leash

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Scrolling through the messages ITT that say Straley had nothing to do with this show and therefore shouldn't be credited - none of you seem to get what this is about.

I mean, yeah, sure, Bruce Straley wasn't working on this show so he shouldn't be credited as its creator. Fair enough.

HOWEVER.

He was the co-creator of the original video game, and the show's first episode lifts the story and entire lines of dialogue, and often even specific shots pretty much verbatim from that game, with only some minor changes that were made either to provide additional context, or in lieu of video game action scenes. Okay, if Straley still wasn't credited anywhere, technically it would still be fair game, although a bit dickish at this point.

But the biggest fuck you to Straley here is the fact that Neil Druckmann credited HIMSELF as the sole writer on the original story in the specific credit that mentions the source material:
CrbfQGN.png

Now THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is where Bruce Straley should've been credited. And I totally get why he got so mad about this shit.

If the video game industry had guilds for their creators, artists, and other talent, kinda like they do in the movie industry, then this wouldn't even be allowed to happen.
The credits of the game credit Druckmann as the sole writer.

Vick

So why wasn't any other developer/artist credited? I think he is the gameplay director of the game, right? That's why...
Yeah, that's clearly all he did. Not like there's documented evidence in OP of him being literal co-creator of the whole thing.

Look at the man programming gameplay:

uuSoCg2.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's not entirely correct though, is it?

"I think whatshisface – I’m not a fan – the guy that kind of stole credit for it," said Carnahan, referring to Druckmann. Discussing Film clarified his name, and the writer responded, "Yeah, that jerkoff. Whatever, there was a bit of saboteuring there going on with Naughty Dog."#

“Amy created that world and she was the one that I really wanted to please. That other guy, whatever the hell his name is, he’s a hitchhiker."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/201...r_joe_carnahan_calls_neil_druckmann_a_jerkoff
That's not studio drama ("hostile takeover") that IGN tried to sell, just some Hollywood writer stoking shit.

She is still credited for Uncharted, lol. Uncharted 4 they changed a lot when she left, that happens in all studios and entertainment when someone leaves and new creatives take over projects.

Last edited:

Vick

That's not studio drama ("hostile takeover") that IGN tried to sell, just some Hollywood writer stoking shit.

She is still credited for Uncharted, lol. Uncharted 4 they changed a lot when she left, that happens in all studios and entertainment when someone leaves and new creatives take over projects.
Listen to Sully.. do you think there's nothing there at all?

We are basically never going to get the original Uncharted cast to work with Naughty Dog again because of what happened.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

We are basically never going to get the original Uncharted cast to work with Naughty Dog again because of what happened.

He say's he doesn't know the answer as to why she was replaced.

Shakeups happen often in this industry, we see it constantly, same for Hollyweird and even music. People form bonds, that's normal as well. Animosity will be set in when things are disrupted. Coworkers will argue, especially over design philosophies.

I love Amy's work like the next person does, been a fan of her worlds and character narratives/voice acting philosophy in games since Blood Omen. But what has she done lately? In fact, everything since then she has been involved in, has been canned by two different companies.

She is now working on Forespoken, yes, but it's a far cry (no pun intended) from her original craft.

The original IGN article was still unsubstantiated. They had zero sources and interjected opinion about some devious master plan. Dyer spilled the beans.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
He say's he doesn't know the answer as to why she was replaced.
He's also not the only cast member to say that she didn't quit of her own volition.

Sure there's a lot of details that haven't been revealed but come on, there's a writing on the wall here and people aren't reading it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's also not the only cast member to say that she didn't quit of her own volition.

Sure there's a lot of details that haven't been revealed but come on, there's a writing on the wall here and people aren't reading it.
I'm not arguing whether she did or did not quit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"resentments towards Neil Druckmann"

He doesn't expess any resentment towards Neil Druckmann at all.
And the only reason they would be recast, is that some of them are getting up there in age (like Richard), and can't be as physical that their style of mocap/acting demands. Then again, they can work around that like they did GoWR, but I also felt some of the scenes were impacted a hair compared to 2018, due to just reading in the moment, and not fully acting out the moment.

damidu

CrbfQGN.png

neil is also credited as sole writer on the original game, bruce could have asked for a writing credit back then if its a problem for him. seems like it wasn’t.

Drizzlehell

Banned
neil is also credited as sole writer on the original game, bruce could have asked for a writing credit back then if its a problem for him. seems like it wasn’t.
All I'm saying is that if someone had to be singled out, then they both deserve that particular credit. Besides, did he really need to single himself out like that? Rhetorical question.

And what about the fact that the cast of the game frequently referred to him as the director, and not the writer? Does that make him less qualified for the writing credit, then?

Usually in these video game based movies or shows the sole "based on" credit went to the studio that made it, so this comes off a bit like he's sniffing his own farts.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
So yeah, there would be no show without him. They are literally using HIS WORK. There's no way he should not be credited.

Also, should JK not get credits on Hogwarts Legacy because she didnt make the game?

Bullshit.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

People here acting like Straley was not involved in the TLOU story are a bunch of Neil dick riders.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Bullshit.
Bruce is not the writer for the original game. It was Druckmann as the sole writer and co-writer on the show.

He wants "creation" credit, but he did get it, along with the 100's of other employees that helped create the game with the "based on a game created by Naughty Dog" credit. He wasn't the sole creator, like Neil was supposedly the sole writer.

Honestly your logic is bullshit.

Is that wrong?
Even in the game Bruce is credited as Game Director and Neil is credited as Writer.
AzV8VrR.png
Yes, it's wikipedia. The game itself only lists Neil as the writer. If Bruce had issue, he should have said something before going gold back in 2013.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
All I'm saying is that if someone had to be singled out, then they both deserve that particular credit. Besides, did he really need to single himself out like that? Rhetorical question.

Usually in these video game based movies or shows the sole "based on" credit went to the studio that made it, so this comes off a bit like he's sniffing his own farts.

Neil Druckmann's name is already all over the credits as executive producer, as one of the directors and in the "created for television by" along with Craig Mazin.

Vick

Bruce is not the writer for the original game. It was Druckmann as the sole writer and co-writer on the show.

He wants "creation" credit, but he did get it, along with the 100's of other employees that helped create the game with the "based on a game created by Naughty Dog" credit. He wasn't the sole creator, like Neil was supposedly the sole writer.
giphy.gif

Compare TLOU and Part II writing style and quality.. they are opposites at times.

calistan

“I invited Neil to see ‘No Country for Old Men,’ and I remember walking out of the theater and telling him, breathlessly, ‘I’ve never played a game that had that kind of tension in it before,’” Straley says. “The street fight in ‘No Country’ was one of the most intense fights I had seen on film, and I wondered if you could play something that had that level of groundedness to it, that intensity.
Street fight? There's no street fighting in that film.

Topher

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Compare TLOU and Part II writing style and quality.. they are opposites at times.

I'd say the quality is the same, but the style can be attributed to two very different stories. One is about a growing, bonding relationship and the other is about revenge. Straley obviously impacted the story itself, but that doesn't mean he was one of the writers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

You can have doubts, but that is why you see it on the show. They go off of official licensing. If Bruce had an issue about "writing" which he does not, he has issue about being a "creator" which him and 100's of others were too (and given credit as the Studio credit), then he should have spoken up when the credits were cemented in their final build master being set to gold. Something tells me that he was less involved in writing, which is why he had no issue then.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh please this dude was not a part of the creation of Last of Us, he was part of the director’s chair.

Directors don’t get credited as creators. As if we needed more confirmation this dude’s a douche.

Vick

You can have doubts, but that is why you see it on the show. They go off of official licensing. If Bruce had an issue about "writing" which he does not, he has issue about being a "creator" which him and 100's of others were too (and credit as the Studio credit), then he should have spoken up when the credits were cemented in their final build master being set to gold. Something tells me that he was less involved in writing, which is why he had no issue then.
Straley allegedly played a role in every single aspect of the production, to the surprise of studio heads. Yet he isn't credited about is it?

It's pretty obvious to me Straley and Druckmann simply divided credits among themselves, and since Straley got the most important Game Director Neil got away with the rest.

Flutta

Banned
So are hundreds of people

Should they all be credited?
Yes.

Would you not want to be credited for the work you put in? How would that make you feel, if your colleagues get credited but not you even tho you contributed alot to said project.

Read his chain of tweets. Dude put in alot of work both to the story and gameplay. You can clearly see that.

Vick

The fact that he wanted TLOU2 to basically be a formulaic sequel to the first and tried to big boss Neil and the team into it, resulting in the team and Wells siding with the Druckmann should let you know who actually created the thing. Steve Bruce is NOT a writer.
669e31f84c67c88fcc7f762e00dcb00e7fd93911.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I know the Druckmann cocksucking game can be challenging at times, but come on now.

Receipts? When was Stanley ever credited as a writer in his career?

Sorry if you don’t know how the entertainment industry works, nor do you understand how the creative process works. Go learn.

Yes.

Would you not want to be credited for the work you put in? How would that make you feel, if your colleagues get credited but not you even tho you contributed alot to said project.

Read his chain of tweets. Dude put in alot of work both to the story and gameplay. You can clearly see that.

He is credited with TLOU1 the game

He had no involvement in the HBO show

Vick

Oh really, how so? Is this not enough?

And yet simply coming right from our asses with this ridiculous shit sits fine with you?

"The fact that he wanted TLOU2 to basically be a formulaic sequel to the first and tried to big boss Neil and the team into it, resulting in the team and Wells siding with the Druckmann"

When 70% of people who worked on Uncharted 4 left the company along with Straley? Amazing.

Sorry if you don’t know how the entertainment industry works, nor do you understand how the creative process works. Go learn.
8xDqpEB.gif

Mindblowing even.
Well, not really, this kind of cognitive dissonance is Druckmann stans signature.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh really, how so? Is this not enough?

And yet simply coming right from our asses with this ridiculous shit sits fine with you?

"The fact that he wanted TLOU2 to basically be a formulaic sequel to the first and tried to big boss Neil and the team into it, resulting in the team and Wells siding with the Druckmann"

When 70% of people who worked on Uncharted 4 left the company along with Straley? Amazing.

8xDqpEB.gif

Mindblowing even.
Well, not really, this kind of cognitive dissonance is Druckmann stans signature.

Once again. They go off the licensing and the credits. He should have brought that up in the gold master when it came time for credits given.

This is how the entertainment industry works. So yes, it is irony.

What part are you struggling with here?

Flutta

Banned
It’s everyone’s work that worked on the project

I’m not sure why Bruce should be singled out

Because we wouldn’t have gotten the masterpiece that is TLOU without them both.

And clearly you can see that the game meant alot to him. Also he’s not asking for much either.

People shitting on him is kinda sad to see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Jesus Christ. have never seen this. Fuck Naughty Dog.

All these posers pretend to be pro women with their diverse casting and female empowerment plotlines, and then go ahead and fuck over arguably the most talented female director in the business. Pieces of shit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So are hundreds of people

Should they all be credited?
Bruce was the co-creator of the franchise. I dont know why this is so hard to understand. Him and Neil both came up with the IP together. He was not brought in to direct Neil's vision. This was his vision just as much as Neil.

They were a directing duo like the Wachowskis and the Coen Brothers.

Woggleman

Bruce was the gameplay director of the first game and not the story writer. I am sure the two of them bounced ideas off of each other but the story itself was mainly Neil. Nothing against Bruce but these are the facts.

Top Bottom