• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

Why do leakers always look like they’re literally playing a video game for the first time in their life? In the clips above it’s a little kid so I get why he’s bad, but still. You think the people getting their hands on games early would be the sweaty try hards. Nope. It’s usually just somebody struggling mightily to navigate the character.
Have these recent gameplay clips all had gamma issues? Looking washed out a little bit not that I think the game will be.

Well they're just lucky one who got their copy early and don't know how to record.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Have these recent gameplay clips all had gamma issues? Looking washed out a little bit not that I think the game will be.

It's the HDR transfer. TLOU2 and God of War both can have this issue. Many of their HDR uploads look dreadful when not captured correctly.

direct consequence?? what are you smoking man

Every now and then he has a reasonable take that I am able to engage with. Unfortunately, he's been going further into the deep end lately, as evidenced by this most recent comment.

It was a joke. One thing seems to be true on Gaf. Don't make fun of accessibility features.
Two things are true about jokes. Not every joke lands, and not everyone is a comedian. The best comedians will tell anyone if a joke doesn't land let it go and/or keep moving forward. Deflecting shows weakness to the audience and you never want to do that.

Naughty Dog is Sony's favorite first-party company. Last of Us Part 3 is coming towards the end of the PS5 generation. And Naughty Dog will make very good use of the power of the PS5 console. And I can't imagine the graphics on the last of us part 3 PS5. And Naughty Dog gave the remake the right.

People hate this series so much that they stoop down to even trying to make jokes about accessibility options. It’s wild.
I hate this series? That's funny because I actually love this series and all Naughty Dog games. Uncharted 4 and Last of Us are top 10 favorite games of mine.. I even really like Part 2. What I hate is companies being greedy and treating their loyal fans like crap.

Accessibility features are great....for the .01% of people who buy these games. If they didn't make such a big deal about it I wouldn't have cared but they know that in today's climate things like "accessibility" is a big buzzword and selling point. They've been hammering this idea of "award winning accessibility" meanwhile they're charging $70 to the people who've already bought Last of Us TWICE with no discount for us. They know how bare bones and exorbitant the pricing is for this product is which is why they're marketing this so hard, trying to make it sound better than it really is.

What's wild is them charging $70. The fact that you guys can't handle negative comments about this is proof their marketing has worked. I bet neither of you are disabled or will use a single "award winning" feature bases on statistics alone. It's a bit insulting to their customers. If you can't see that fine.

You really can't handle me poking fun of this? Come on now.

ShakenG

No, i believe its Youtube related, ive been uploading GT7 clips for a while now and they've started lately to be washed out.

I upload directly from the system and its been doing it for SD and HDR games.. everything is washed out.

No, i believe its Youtube related, ive been uploading GT7 clips for a while now and they've started lately to be washed out.

I upload directly from the system and its been doing it for SD and HDR games.. everything is washed out.
That's really strange. I'm pretty sure these recent Remake clips are missing a lot of color detail. Does the embargo lift on the 30th or the first? Looking forward to DF or NX gamer video.

ShakenG

That's really strange. I'm pretty sure these recent Remake clips are missing a lot of color detail. Does the embargo lift on the 30th or the first? Looking forward to DF or NX gamer video.
Sorry, couldnt say when the embargo lifts.. just scrolling through checking out the pics and vids when i noticed the videos colours looked off and had to chime in.

Seeing as though all my vids are same when i upload them, guess its safe to say the game wont look this way. (Washed out)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Visually its basically TLOU2 running on PS5.
Looks good, though not something I would expect from a PS5 exclusive.

It really doesn't, though. The lighting and materials are the biggest standout. You can argue that ND should have pushed further with this being a native PS5 game but so far I've been unable to mistake one for the other. And again the difference becomes more apparent in motion as light and materials interact.

aPkxf89.jpg

uvuDddp.jpg

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It really doesn't, though. The lighting and materials are the biggest standout. You can argue that ND should have pushed further with this being a native PS5 game but so far I've been unable to mistake one for the other. And again the difference becomes more apparent in motion as light and materials interact.

aPkxf89.jpg

uvuDddp.jpg
Lol, you got to be kidding. Slightly different lighting, different colours and shiner eyes is a small difference, and how about comparing the actual gameplay...

Flabagast

Lol, you got to be kidding. Slightly different lighting, different colours and shiner eyes is a small difference, and how about comparing the actual gameplay...
No man, it’s literally a generation apart don’t you see ?

I need to believe this ! I need to justify my 550€ spending !

Lmao, what a fucking joke this period is for PlayStation and Sony. It reminds me of 2013 Xbox

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I'm not kidding. If you don't think dynamic lighting and shadows are a big deal then so be it. But most others consider it the key to achieving realism.

And it absolutely extends to gameplay. It's difficult to get like for like environment setting with TLOU2 being mostly overcast but I tried my best here. If you have a better apples to apples comparison please share, but there really is no comparison between the GI systems.

Sosokrates

No man, it’s literally a generation apart don’t you see ?

I need to believe this ! I need to justify my 550€ spending !

Lmao, what a fucking joke this period is for PlayStation and Sony. It reminds me of 2013 Xbox
I think overall the future is bright for Playstation, they have great first party studios and great hardware. However they have made some questionable decissions recently, thats for sure.

Sosokrates

I'm not kidding. If you don't think dynamic lighting and shadows are a big deal then so be it. But most others consider it the key to achieving realism.

And it absolutely extends to gameplay. It's difficult to get like for like environment setting with TLOU2 being mostly overcast but I tried my best here. If you have a better apples to apples comparison please share, but there really is no comparison between the GI systems.

When the first game leaked I said this

Geometric detail, and overall detail looks very good, looks higher then TLOU2, some other effects could be improved too. Its a shame they could not implement some type of realtime Gi though.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-last-of-us-remake-gameplay-has-leaked.1639313/post-266446507

And I still think this, however I still dont think it looks a generation ahead of TLOU2, it looks like a more detailed and refined TLOU2.
However it is hard to compare, because TLOU2 is also very detailed

Check out 6.42.30

That area also has very high detail in the environment, so when its hard to tell the difference, the difference cant be to drastic.
However it does seem improved and the more I watch it the more I want to play it.

Last edited:
Two things are true about jokes. Not every joke lands, and not everyone is a comedian. The best comedians will tell anyone if a joke doesn't land let it go and/or keep moving forward. Deflecting shows weakness to the audience and you never want to do that.
lol?

You get the authority on jokes landing? can you see me or at least a few others through their cameras? ... Just sayin' because you seem to think you talk for other people for some reason.

Just to be clear: I have written WCAG accessibility guidelines for my work place, depending how they approach it the "default" can be affected. Mind you, the guidelines remain guides, and more often than not implementing them is mutually beneficial, however it can go wrong and affect writing, design elements, etc.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The guy on Reddit said enemies shout out each other's names similar to The Last of Us Part II. I have yet to see any actual proof of this.

lol?

You get the authority on jokes landing? can you see me or at least a few others through their cameras? ...
No. Why do people always use this authority line as some sort of gotcha? Just because I'm suggesting someone to read the room doesn't mean I am the one to deem something funny or unfunny.

Just sayin' because you seem to think you talk for other people for some reason.
Again, I don't talk for anyone. They posted that they didn't like the joke. It's right there.

If you liked that posters edgy joke don't let me stop you from applauding it. Go right ahead 🤷🏻‍♂️ He doesn't need a defense force, he just wants a laugh. So feel free to give it to him.

Any news on actually having 4K for TLOU 2. I honestly cant imagine why its not possible and been so long for a PS5 release. Unless they plan that for a "remaster" to get more cash again :pie_expressionless:

Anyone know when the embargo is up?

I really dont think an official review will help you here. It was a 10/10 game, its gonna get the same score again but most probably every review will state its up to you if you deem it worth your money to pay $70. The game itself is impossible to get a low score jsut because it didnt change enough.

Hugare

This leak has combat gameplay. I have to say, the AI looks a lot better than the original. Animations look better too.

I dont like the cutscenes to gameplay transitions

Sometimes they work, but the "cut to black" works to give the cutscenes more weight

Going from the cutscene where Joel gives Ellie the rifle directly to gameplay feels ... weird

People hate this series so much that they stoop down to even trying to make jokes about accessibility options. It’s wild.
It's because people have made up their minds that this game doesn't have anything different when compared to the remastered game.
So eventually everything that's different needs to be undermined, whether it's the accessibility options or the graphical jump, or the AI, animations, etc...

It's crazy.

I wonder how people will react once sales charts will come out? Since no one cares or wants this "unnecessary remake" i'm sure we'll get a lot of calm and reasonable posts on gaf if this hits #1 anywhere.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I hate this series? That's funny because I actually love this series and all Naughty Dog games. Uncharted 4 and Last of Us are top 10 favorite games of mine.. I even really like Part 2. What I hate is companies being greedy and treating their loyal fans like crap.

Accessibility features are great....for the .01% of people who buy these games. If they didn't make such a big deal about it I wouldn't have cared but they know that in today's climate things like "accessibility" is a big buzzword and selling point. They've been hammering this idea of "award winning accessibility" meanwhile they're charging $70 to the people who've already bought Last of Us TWICE with no discount for us. They know how bare bones and exorbitant the pricing is for this product is which is why they're marketing this so hard, trying to make it sound better than it really is.

What's wild is them charging $70. The fact that you guys can't handle negative comments about this is proof their marketing has worked. I bet neither of you are disabled or will use a single "award winning" feature bases on statistics alone. It's a bit insulting to their customers. If you can't see that fine.

You really can't handle me poking fun of this? Come on now.

Complain about the price all you want, but going on and on about the accessibility features of the game is simply looking for a reason to be insulted. People who are not disabled and are never going to use these features are not buying this game because it has these features. So no, for the vast majority this is not a "selling point" whatsoever. That doesn't mean those people are unable to appreciate the inclusion of these features for those who will benefit from them.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
When the first game leaked I said this

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-last-of-us-remake-gameplay-has-leaked.1639313/post-266446507

And I still think this, however I still dont think it looks a generation ahead of TLOU2, it looks like a more detailed and refined TLOU2.
However it is hard to compare, because TLOU2 is also very detailed

Check out 6.42.30

That area also has very high detail in the environment, so when its hard to tell the difference, the difference cant be to drastic.
However it does seem improved and the more I watch it the more I want to play it.

Well if you're a fan of accurate GI/indirect lighting I struggle to see how you don't notice major difference between TLOU2 and Pt. 1, specifically in indoor scenes. I predict this subject in particular will be discussed at length by DF, NX, etc. and maybe then people will get a better understanding and appreciation for the advancement.

And yes, it is a generational leap, the sort of generational leap I would expect from an early generation game, it is that good. I watched the drive to Pittsburg on my oled and it was remarkable, even with the compression and 1080p resolution. There were moments during that sequence that reminded me of the Wolverine CG trailer (not quite at the level but not too far) The subsequent shootout in the storefront was awesome looking as well. Yes the art direction is the same, but there is no mistaking it for TLOU2.

With all that being said, I do think gameplay gripes are fair game. Perhaps I could understand the difficulties of implementing the prone mechanic, but I don't understand why TLOU2 dodge mechanic has been left out. Combat would've felt much better.

Sosokrates

Well if you're a fan of accurate GI/indirect lighting I struggle to see how you don't notice major difference between TLOU2 and Pt. 1, specifically in indoor scenes. I predict this subject in particular will be discussed at length by DF, NX, etc. and maybe then people will get a better understanding and appreciation for the advancement.

And yes, it is a generational leap, the sort of generational leap I would expect from an early generation game, it is that good. I watched the drive to Pittsburg on my oled and it was remarkable, even with the compression and 1080p resolution. There were moments during that sequence that reminded me of the Wolverine CG trailer (not quite at the level but not too far) The subsequent shootout in the storefront was awesome looking as well. Yes the art direction is the same, but there is no mistaking it for TLOU2.

With all that being said, I do think gameplay gripes are fair game. Perhaps I could understand the difficulties of implementing the prone mechanic, but I don't understand why TLOU2 dodge mechanic has been left out. Combat would've felt much better.
Im sure there will be improvement there, like there as been with other cross gen game. But as far as I can tell remake is still using a pre calculated solution.
Now if you cant accept that not everyone shares your opinion that this is a generational leap beyond TLOU2, then thats on you.

Topher

Gold Member
I see Cuckmann has continued his TLoU 2 retcon mission by continuing to make the grubby shit hole firefly operating room look like a modern day theatre. Can’t this mop head just hurry up and fuck off to become a failed TV director or whatever it is that his ambition is?

Eh.....come on, bro. A cleaner room doesn't reach the level of "retcon" in any way.

Top Bottom