• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're still framing the argument to fit your own narrative. This is a business "Success" is defined by development costs and returns on the investment. Returnal's dev costs VS actual sales made the game a noteable success. As noted by Sonys mentioning of the IP during their quarterly financial statement.

Also mentioning GP is nonsensical. Returnal was and is being sold at retail. Half a million in 3 months for an indie title is a success. Regardless of the caveats you're trying to introduce.
I'm framing jack shit dude, i don't have any interest in downplaying returnal jist for the sake of it, ffs i called it best sony game of 2021...but half a million is fucking nothing for a sony first party game, and not nearly enough to be used it as an argument when we were talking about how many people on gaf played the game compared to bigger games from microsoft, i never spoke about monetary success or what sony consider a success, at best i made you notice how the whole forum trolled sony calling the game a huge success, but it was never the point, the point (or narrative as you call it) was ALWAYS that half a million of copy is not enough to consider a game wildly diffused, if you want to rewrite the meaning of things to fit your narrative that wasn't even the point to begin with, be my guest.

So yeah you can absolutely count gamepass when we are talking about how many people are playing the game or how diffuse a game is.

If returnal would have been on sonypass and 5 mil of people would have played it then my argument would be invalid, but returnal can only count on the copies they sold, not sure how this is complicated to understand, gamepass literally make the game available to more people compared to only counting the copies they sell at full price, more people play, better chance to get a vote, unless you hope for people voting returnal without playing it...

Maybe you forgot my original post where i don't even speak about monetary success but literally how many copies were around to be played in general, you know, the most important thing when it comes to a polls to decide the best game in a big forum...maybe you thought that i was being literal with 10 people played the game? My bad if that's the case, they were more than 10, happy now?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game will release on Friday, people will replay it, and then everyone will realize just how little games have progressed in the last decade. This game will still shit on most released today.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lmao those are extremely small numbers compared to any other big sony game, cmon.

It was literally a recurring meme in here when sony called returnal a huge success :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Sony: Returnal 500k... mega success! Buy the studio!

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... MOTHER FUCKING FLOP!! Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. GTFO Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. Kill the franchise! P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I hope TLOU 1 is 4k and not 1440p

I went back and played tlou2 on ps5 and the image is very soft

Even if tlou1 ends up only being a resolution bump difference that will be a tangible improvement from part 2
This thing should be 4k30 at the very worse, there is no chance of not having a 4k mode.

SlimySnake

Even if tlou1 ends up only being a resolution bump difference that will be a tangible improvement from part 2
It is both. The leaked screenshots last month which have now proven to be accurate indicated two modes. 1440p 60 fps and native 4k 40 fps. Both have uncapped options. If you have a VRR tv and dislike the soft look of TLOU2, id recommend playing the native 4k 40 fps mode and simply uncapping the framerate. Who knows, it might even hit 50 fps.

Not sure if they will implement LFG under 48 like Insomniac did. VRR on PS5 stops at 48 FPS but it should still feel way better than native 4k 30 fps.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Also Sony: Days Gone - 5-9 million sold/played ... MOTHER FUCKING FLOP!! Fire Creative Director Day 1 after release. GTFO Gameplay Director 6 months after launch. Kill the franchise! P.S Do adapt the franchise into a movie though. Cant waste those 9 million engagement numbers.
You are missing the perspective here, bend was a huge studios of 50 people (to an astonishing 130 by the end) at their first home console game ever when days gone started developing, their game needed to sell 20 mil just to get on par, it's jimbo math.

At least now we have the movie with sam witwer.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is both. The leaked screenshots last month which have now proven to be accurate indicated two modes. 1440p 60 fps and native 4k 40 fps. Both have uncapped options. If you have a VRR tv and dislike the soft look of TLOU2, id recommend playing the native 4k 40 fps mode and simply uncapping the framerate. Who knows, it might even hit 50 fps.

Not sure if they will implement LFG under 48 like Insomniac did. VRR on PS5 stops at 48 FPS but it should still feel way better than native 4k 30 fps.
Uncapped framerate should be smooth as silk with vrr right? Or we are in a range where the bootleg vrr on ps5 doesn't even work?

Nothing more puke inducing that uncapped framerate that literally vary every second.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This thing should be 4k30 at the very worse, there is no chance of not having a 4k mode.
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ2lueC50di91cGxvYWRzMi90aGVfbGFzdF9vZl91cy90aGVsYXN0b2Z1czFyZW1ha2VsZWFrLTMuanBn.webp

SlimySnake

Uncapped framerate should be smooth as silk with vrr right? Or we are in a range where the bootleg vrr on ps5 doesn't even work?

Nothing more puke inducing that uncapped framerate that literally vary every second.
Depends on whether or not custom LFC is implemented. Some games like Ghostwire tokyo start to stutter badly as soon as they drop below PS5's 48 fps VRR limit (Xsx is 40), but games like Miles, Ratchet and Spiderman have custom built in support for LFC that Insomniac had to code in and they feel a lot smoother when they dip below 48 fps.

ND's latest entries have not been up to par with Insomniac so i wouldnt get my hopes up, but the 40 fps target and the ability to uncap the framerate tells me they put more effort into this than TLOU2's 60 fps patch and the uncharted ps5 remaster.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Depends on whether or not custom LFC is implemented. Some games like Ghostwire tokyo start to stutter badly as soon as they drop below PS5's 48 fps VRR limit (Xsx is 40), but games like Miles, Ratchet and Spiderman have custom built in support for LFC that Insomniac had to code in and they feel a lot smoother when they dip below 48 fps.

ND's latest entries have not been up to par with Insomniac so i wouldnt get my hopes up, but the 40 fps target and the ability to uncap the framerate tells me they put more effort into this than TLOU2's 60 fps patch and the uncharted ps5 remaster.
If they can't even manage to be at least on par with insomniac tech wise it would be a big blow for bend...i mean ND.

What rez is tlou2 Fidelity mode?

SlimySnake

What rez is tlou2 Fidelity mode?
there is no tlou2 fidelity mode. the PS5 patch they released simply unlocks the Pro version's framerate to 60 fps. They did nothing to the resolution settings. Basically what GG, SSM, Sucker Punch and Bend did with Horizon, GoW, GoT and Days Gone, but those games were using 4kcb so they look much sharper than the 1440p image of ND's PS4 Pro games.

4kcb doesnt work well with ND's games. Uncharted 4 was revealed as a 4kcb game at the Pro reveal, but they later changed it to 1440p because their AA solution didnt work well with it.

PS5 is roughly 2.5x more powerful than the PS4 Pro in BC mode (Polaris tflops) so they lost most of their pixel budget on doubling the framerate. Now that this is a PS5 only sku, they are getting the 25% IPC gains over Polaris, they are likely over 3x more power which is probably how they were able to double the framerate and up the framerate by 30%. Also, TLOU1 doesnt feature any massive environments like TLOU2 and mostly takes place indoors so they can push the resolution much higher.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

100% agree the image is very soft. Tlou2 is great example of why image reconstruction matters. Have no idea why ND is behind the curve on this.

there is no tlou2 fidelity mode. the PS5 patch they released simply unlocks the Pro version's framerate to 60 fps. They did nothing to the resolution settings. Basically what GG, SSM, Sucker Punch and Bend did with Horizon, GoW, GoT and Days Gone, but those games were using 4kcb so they look much sharper than the 1440p image of ND's PS4 Pro games.

4kcb doesnt work well with ND's games. Uncharted 4 was revealed as a 4kcb game at the Pro reveal, but they later changed it to 1440p because their AA solution didnt work well with it.

PS5 is roughly 2.5x more powerful than the PS4 Pro in BC mode (Polaris tflops) so they lost most of their pixel budget on doubling the framerate. Now that this is a PS5 only sku, they are getting the 25% IPC gains over Polaris, they are likely over 3x more power which is probably how they were able to double the framerate and up the framerate by 30%. Also, TLOU1 doesnt feature any massive environments like TLOU2 and mostly takes place indoors so they can push the resolution much higher.

1440p60 would just bring it on par with tlou2

I would hope that the 60 fps mode is dynamic 4k and not just 1440p

The footage looks sharper to me

• Performance Mode: those who'd prefer better performance can switch to this mode, which targets a frame rate of 60fps along with a dynamic internal resolution upscaled to 4K.

Should be dynamic 4k, so higher than a locked 1440p

DavidGzz

I feel like the cut scenes look great but you can totally see the PlayStation 3 roots in the actual gameplay. Stiff animations when walking for Joel, for example. I'll get it eventually. I loved TLOU2.

Romulus

It's a phenomenal game, but the time since I played it last on PS4 PRO, it's not going to feel like a big upgrade to me past the first 30 minutes of honeymoon phase. I'll get used to it in no time and it'll feel like what I played because the time lapse and improvements of other games will just blur the lines even more. It'll probably sell well, but it's a waste of resources in my opinion. I'd personally rather see those resources on something new and fresh, because we're seriously lacking that. Now if we had dozens of exclusives and fresh experiences, I'd feel different, but we don't.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

• Performance Mode: those who'd prefer better performance can switch to this mode, which targets a frame rate of 60fps along with a dynamic internal resolution upscaled to 4K.

Should be dynamic 4k, so higher than a locked 1440p
Would love to see how high the dynamic res goes. Ive always thought the ps5 was capable of doing more than just 1440p 60 fps in tlou2 and uncharted 4. Way higher ram bandwidth, incredible cpu upgrade and a 3x gpu upgrade only for nd to settle for 1440p.

I wonder if they can hit a high of 1800p 60 fps during non combat sections. 5.6 vs 3.7 million pixels should make a big difference.

Fools idol

Banned
if I hadn't played the game through 5+ times and got the platinum I would probably be all over this. I just cant go through it one more time.

Fools idol

Banned
UK Gaf, where do you buy these days for early ship / street date break? It used to be ShopTo that arrived 2 days before release date usually but they stopped that.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Nothing will make me buy/play this re-re-release. Even if they gave it out for free. I want Sony from the PS3/PS4 era back.

Flutta

Banned

It’s fucking SAD. I bet the budget for this remake would’ve be enough for a DG sequel.

Days Gone 2 >>>> TLOU-R.
Fight Me Bring It GIF by Yandel

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s fucking SAD. I bet the budget for this remake would’ve be enough for a DG sequel.

Days Gone 2 >>>> TLOU-R.
Nah, this thing is probably as low budget as it comes for a triple A from sony.

A bigger better days gone sequel should deserve a much bigger budget imo.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

True. DS sequel deserves a full fledge AAA treatment.

I’m almost 99% sure we didnt get a sequel because of the woke crowd had a fit over it. It did get low scores because it wasnt woke enough. I remember a bunch of reviewers complaining about white male lead, that ”ride me like your bike” line etc.

Bunch a degens made Sony cower like a bitch.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

That's not what the report said.

EyhwkN_WYAANsy5

The critical reception and the lengthy development are the main reasons why.

SlimySnake

Sony not only took the DG budget, but also the DG developers to work on the TLOU remake assets.
Nah, DG devs were only used to help with Factions. See below.

That's not what the report said.

EyhwkN_WYAANsy5

The critical reception and the lengthy development are the main reasons why.
No idea what this has to do with what I posted. I never said WHY it was cancelled. just that it was. Everything I said is true.

Yep. The VSG studios team was so short staffed on this project that they couldnt make much progress and when ND took over in 2020, almost all the new work that needed to be done came from ND artists. I bet their gameplay guys and level designers had very little to do with the project. Id say this has 1/3rd of the budget of a typical ND game. I am hoping against hope that the gameplay programmers and designers have been cooking up a stunning demo/teaser for their September show.

Days Gone 2 >>>> TLOU-R.
Probably true. ND is almost a 350 person studio and seeing as how only artists are doing major work on this game, its probably around 100-150 devs total. Bend had 50 devs for years before Sony allowed them to hire another 50 devs. It's a very small studio compared to other Sony studios. It's also in Oregon which is far less expensive an area than LA where ND, SSM and Insomniac HQs reside. Id say 40-50% fewer operational costs.

The only reason Sony probably considers DG expensive is because it took them 7 years to release it after shipping Uncharted vita in 2012. 2011 if you count the early Japanese release. But again, the studio had 50 men until 2016 when they game was revealed. How expensive can it really be to run a studio that small in freaking oregon?

What bothers me the most is that they ended up wasting the last three years anyway. First 6 months on a Days Gone 2 pitch that was rejected then over a year on a Uncharted spin off that ended up getting cancelled. At E3, they revealed a freaking logo....3 years after shipping Days Gone, they could only muster up a freaking logo. Had DG2 been greenlit the day after release, we probably wouldve seen a next gen only sequel release either this holiday season or next spring.

Last edited:

Pelta88

UK Gaf, where do you buy these days for early ship / street date break? It used to be ShopTo that arrived 2 days before release date usually but they stopped that.

There a postal strike on so you might need to take the local GAME store route.

Nothing will make me buy/play this re-re-release. Even if they gave it out for free. I want Sony from the PS3/PS4 era back.

The most hilarious thing about this post is that in your mind, someone is begging you to play it. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

Thaedolus

Days Gone 2 >>>> TLOU-R.
Days Gone was decent, but the cult following it’s developed is weird.

TLoU is one of the greatest games ever made and deserves this kind of remake treatment

SSfox

TLoU is one of the greatest games ever made and deserves this kind of remake treatment

I think most people agree that TLOU1 is a better game than DG (still awesome game as well) . But a new game >>>> A remake all day.

I’d rather play a remake of this game that I’ve already beaten multiple times than go back to the world and characters of days gone again.

Thaedolus

I think most people agree that TLOU1 is a better game than DG (still awesome game as well) . But a new game >>>> A remake all day.
Not if it’s just another bland open world game that relies entirely on its narrative while the gameplay feels dull and repetitive, which was what Day’s Gone was

Last edited:

SSfox

Not if it’s just another bland open world game that relies entirely on its narrative while the gameplay feels dull and repetitive, which was what Day’s Gone was
Yes the gameplay of DG could have been much better, but at the same time it's their first to the genre, and honestly considering that they did a really amazing job on this game.

Some of you guys really need to go back play Uncharted 1, Naughy Dod hasnt become flawelessly talented in one night, it's until U2 that the franchise started to get really on top. even GTA4 outside of its flawless tech and story but outside it was also barebone even for back then.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Embargo ends tomorrow so hopefully we will get a tech analysis and comparison along with reviews.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Strange to say since days gone gameplay is basically a more action-y tlou with WAY more weapons\enemy types\approaches etc.

It didn't had the same quality animations, gunplay and ia but being repetitive? Variety wise it fuck tlou so deep in the ass that you can smell DG dick coming from tlou's breath.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
The most hilarious thing about this post is that in your mind, someone is begging you to play it. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

Sony is ”begging” me to buy and play it. Why wouldnt they? You would be stupid as a rock to think otherwise. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Flutta

Banned

”Greates gamer ever made” 🤣
Thats subjective first of all. Second there’s a remaster that holds up to this day. Third I’m not the kind of guy who replays SP games especially if they’re 16-20 hours long. I see it as wasted time, sue me 😜.

Give me a sequel or a new IP.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Days Gone simply has better gameplay than TLOU. Yes, TLOU deserves a remake, but there is nothing weird about the cult following DG has developed especially when 8-9 million people have played it. Nothing cult about that many users. Go watch youtube videos of it generating millions of views. odd how Sony boasted about GoW's youtube numbers but conveniently ignored DG pulling the same numbers.

The gunplay, the hordes, the dynamic open world were all better than TLOU. TLOU beats it in story and pacing, but DG took that zombie concept to open world and came very close to nailing it. With the sequel, they wouldve been able to make it a lot better. Uncharted 1 pales in comparison to Uncharted 2. They just werent given a chance.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Days Gone simply has better gameplay than TLOU. Yes, TLOU deserves a remake, but there is nothing weird about the cult following DG has developed especially when 8-9 million people have played it. Nothing cult about that many users. Go watch youtube videos of it generating millions of views. odd how Sony boasted about GoW's youtube numbers but conveniently ignored DG pulling the same numbers.

The gunplay, the hordes, the dynamic open world were all better than TLOU. TLOU beats it in story and pacing, but DG took that zombie concept to open world and came very close to nailing it. With the sequel, they wouldve been able to make it a lot better. Uncharted 1 pales in comparison to Uncharted 2. They just werent given a chance.
Melee was better in tlou1, from camera movement to sound design to animations to ragdoll, they tried to replicate tlou melee but it was always jittery, jerky, lighter and visually unprecise.

Same for the gunplay, tlou on ps3 has way more satisfying shooting, i mean just try a headshot with a bow in tlou and with the crossbow in dg, days gone headshot look like shit, there is always that small pause when the game decide if the hit is in and they fall down like dolls, no kinetic force from the bullet whatsoever, ugh, shooting is pretty weak in dg, the only decent weapons are the 50 cal sniper that make enemies fly and some shotguns.

Days gone with tlou2 combat\animations would have been incredible.

The only thing that days gone does better are less tanky movements and more precise cover system imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom