• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 1 - Improvements Listed

A2una1

No, they are not even rerecording the voices performances. It's a 1:1 remake, think Bluepoint.

How they can sell that 80 euros baffles me.

Yeah the pricing is a little agressive for my taste too. But the Bluepoint remakes where also fullprice titles I think. At least Demons Souls was. But I disagree with a lot of sonys pricing recently. The increase to 80€ is not justified. If I remeber correctly they justified it with the "quality" of the games. But given "quality" is a little declining in the PS5 era I think. At least they suffer from more Bugs than in the PS4 era. At least this is my perception

Fredrik

Since you already know the entire story beats of the first one by now, why not just replay part 2 for the gameplay?
Because it’s a different game?
I’ve only played TLOU1, one of my fav games from PS3 gen. I never played TLOUp2 because it was just another dark revenge story, but the gameplay seemed great going by the talk. TLOU1 with new visuals at 60fps and the gameplay improvements from TLOUp2 seems like perfection to me. 👌

Good to know, but we need to see the improvements to the gameplay in motion, which should be introduced through a SOP. Will Sony have one SOP for both this remake and Ragnarok, or two separate ones? I am curious about the timing of it all, especially if Sony intends to have a PS5 showcase some time later this year...🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
One of the greatest games ever made deserves to be sold at full price. If it were nothing more than an upscale I could see the reason for some uproar but it looks like much more than that.
As a counterpoint I’d argue that the PS4 Remaster actually was worth full price because they had to port from the PS3 but more importantly, they included Factions and all map pack DLC. This version has no Factions and costs more than the Remastered version. We’ll see how it pans out but I suspect the PS4 Pro version will end up being looked at as the definitive edition of the game.

EDMIX

Good to know, but we need to see the improvements to the gameplay in motion, which should be introduced through a SOP. Will Sony have one SOP for both this remake and Ragnarok, or two separate ones? I am curious about the timing of it all, especially if Sony intends to have a PS5 showcase some time later this year...🤔🤔🤔

Based on how great the AI is in The Last Of Us 2, I expect a lot of what we saw in the last of us 1 trailer, to actually just be normal gameplay like it is in 2 lol

I also wonder how they'll do the ladder and board stuff as that shit is too dated and they have much better tech now. I also wonder if they'll add dogs or that crazy bow with the bombs on it lol

Banjo64 Banjo64 Different times. Putting a game in a different engine like this with all those changes is not some port from 1 system to the next, so yea...I'd expect that to cost way more money, but this isn't 2014 anymore..... so I don't get this weird thing of gamers making it sound as if time just stops for gaming. It doesn't ,cost rise and that will be reflected in the game industry one way or another. The MP made sense in 2014, the servers still existed, it was still be played on PS3 too etc If a game gets remade today and it had MP from years ago, 99% of the time I'm not expecting them to remake that too, makes mores sense for a remaster or a port from cross gen or something, not a default remake thing as most games remade, don't do that unless its literally a MP focused title or something. So I think they have their networking team focused on Fractions 2, vs a fractions remake which would take a fuck ton of time to actually pull off. Online gaming today is just as different as single player games today.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Yeah, I'm kind of relaxed towards these remaster/remakes. No one forces me to buy any of these, and the existence doesn't destroy the orginial ones. I can still play them, if I want to. I'm just not that hyped for this remake...
Same. I'm not paying full price for it, no fucking way. But I might get it when the price goes down.

Regardless, the idea that it's a waste of resources that could go somewhere else is stupid. The team working on it is probably exponentially smaller than the one who works on a full game.

The engine team is upgrading the engine for next gen, so their job is the same. The artists/designers didn't have to create anything from scratch, just recreate with higher fidelity what's already there. Gameplay-wise, the changes are the changes that we've already seen in Part II. There's still a lot of QA and polishing required, but it's not a 200 people job.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Improvements sound pretty good to me. Probably won't be getting at launch due to other games. That being said, I'd rather buy this than yearly trash like CoD, sports games, or the "Assassin's Creed" games they've put out after Syndicate.

Last edited:
Creative Director: Shaun Escayg: Shaun started as Lead Cinematic Animator on The Last of Us and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Shaun would later go on to become the Creative Director of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

I see they left out that this guy was one of the people responsible for Marvel's Avengers. He was the main narrative guy for that game, and boy did that game have a terrible narrative.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not for me. I can't think of a game that needed to be remade/remastered less than this one.

If you're one of the 5 people who haven't played it, I strongly recommend you spend around $10 and just play the original. It still looks quite good and runs at 4K/60 on a PS5. Heck it runs and looks good on a vanilla PS4.

I'd be wary of Sony jacking up the price of the PS4 remaster for people who do that sort of thing.

EDMIX

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't add in additional context to help villainize Joel. I'm sure they want to setup part 2 better.

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. 60 fps would be nice. Well, I'll be on PC playing at 60 fps anyways lol.

I think part 2 is set up just fine.

Look back at threads in 2013 and 2014. It was really mixed then and I think they are just fine to leave it at that. Joel as he is, imho is more then enough for someone to think his actions are bad or something and I think it helps show those sides

JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball looks good? ok, is the AI more advanced though? Gameplay?

I can't recommend someone play one over the other without playing both myself. The remaster is a great game, but its still a remaster of a dated title at this point.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I love this game but never replayed it since PS3... So i'm in this time on PS5. I'll buy a physical copy but not at 80€ though.
I'm jealous of (probably) young gamers who will discover this gem in full remastered glory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball looks good? ok, is the AI more advanced though? Gameplay?

I can't recommend someone play one over the other without playing both myself. The remaster is a great game, but its still a remaster of a dated title at this point.
If they were selling the new one at $39.99, that would be one thing, but asking $70 is ridiculous if you ask me. Im someone who usually defends and gets excited about remasters, but that crosses my line. Loved what was done with Mass Effect. I am still holding out hope for New Vegas and Fallout 3 to get remastered.

Speaking of remasters....Sony...why not remake the original God of War games?! Have Bluepoint do that!

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
70 dollar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For premium Playstation content ; )

Celebrate Nba Playoffs GIF by ESPN

Some people in here forget that it's very viable to vote with your wallet: if you aren't happy with the price, don't buy it. Sony isn't compelled to sell it to you at the price you want and you aren't compelled to buy it either.

For some people, this is a good upgrade, for some people, this is shit.

That's kinda how the world works

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
This remake is not going to change the story, characters, or gameplay, so I'll give it a pass until it's dirt cheap and worth it, just to see the graphical upgrade.

But it's The Last Of Us. Again.

A game I've already completed four times.
The wording is baffling so I don't blame people getting confused. "Improved environmental storytelling and enhanced exploration" Ok great
"faithfully enhanced" "faithfully reproduced" Huh? How is it "faithfully enhanced" and "faithfully reproduced" if you gonna push it to modern standards of explorations? The first game is a corridor TPS with a fantastic story. As we've seen from the visuals it is not really that much of an upgrade from the original in comparison to other remakes that actually needed a visual and modernized upgrade and because they kept saying "faithful" they are not going to push it enough to warrant the obviously ridiculous 70 price. Also, what is a remake really? Just because it is "rebuilt from the ground up" looking the same and being "faithful" to the original with few improvements then it is a remaster to me as I don't care about your technical definition spin.

If a game is built from the ground up using a different engine and looks and plays 95% the same as the original game, they will also call it a remake but guess what? I wouldn't. Not talking about the TLoU in particular but how ridiculous the term has been used in some cases. I think "remaking" any game that is less than 10 years is ridiculous anyway.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The wording is baffling so I don't blame people getting confused. "Improved environmental storytelling and enhanced exploration" Ok great
"faithfully enhanced" "faithfully reproduced" Huh? How is it "faithfully enhanced" and "faithfully reproduced" if you gonna push it to modern standards of explorations? The first game is a corridor TPS with a fantastic story. As we've seen from the visuals it is not really that much of an upgrade from the original in comparison to other remakes that actually needed a visual and modernized upgrade and because they kept saying "faithful" they are not going to push it enough to warrant the obviously ridiculous 70 price. Also, what is a remake really? Just because it is "rebuilt from the ground up" looking the same and being "faithful" to the original with few improvements then it is a remaster to me as I don't care about your technical definition spin.

If a game is built from the ground up using a different engine and looks and plays 95% the same as the original game, they will also call it a remake but guess what? I wouldn't. Not talking about the TLoU in particular but how ridiculous the term has been used in some cases. I think "remaking" any game that is less than 10 years is ridiculous anyway.

It's all corporate speak horseshit to fool the masses.

It's the same exact damn game, with nicer graphics. It'll have the same locations, characters, story beats, fights, gameplay loops, beginning, middle and ending. You'll literally be paying full price for a fucking coat of paint.

I will truly despair if this sells well on Ps5 to people who have already played and beaten the game.

EDIT: and before any wise-ass jumps in with a comment about Demon's Souls... that was a much older, jankier game, that only had a small fan base on release. It deserved a remake as it was such a niche title. TLOU was a multimillion selling juggernaut in 2013. There's literally no reason to remake it now, other than naked greed, and the reliance on the stupidity of gamers who should know better.

Last edited:

EDMIX

If they were selling the new one at $39.99, that would be one thing, but asking $70 is ridiculous if you ask me. Im someone who usually defends and gets excited about remasters, but that crosses my line. Loved what was done with Mass Effect. I am still holding out hope for New Vegas and Fallout 3 to get remastered.

Speaking of remasters....Sony...why not remake the original God of War games?! Have Bluepoint do that!

I think full price makes sense. Its a remake, in a different engine, different gameplay etc. I'd just buy it used or later on a sale or something, but any other remake to this extent isn't charging less. Would be like asking for FFVII to charge less or RE2 remake or something simply cause a HD version exist.

So...I'm not complaining if they sold it for 39 lol fuck no, day 1 easy! Simply that it would be more odd to sell a remake at $40 with so much put into this. I'd expect that with a remaster or something.

In terms of God Of War? I'm not sure. Maybe Sony plans to do that with Bluepoint at some point as I'd love that shit! God Of War 1 completely remade would be a easy day 1 too, but bigger question....old gameplay style or 2018 revamp style, or split the baby and have both? lol

SoraNoKuni

Fortunately I've played the first one only once, the remaster on PS4.

But there is no way I'll buy it, if it's free in the extra tier then it's a maybe.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's all corporate speak horseshit to fool the masses.

It's the same exact damn game, with nicer graphics. It'll have the same locations, characters, story beats, fights, gameplay loops, beginning, middle and ending. You'll literally be paying full price for a fucking coat of paint.

I will truly despair if this sells well on Ps5 to people who have already played and beaten the game.

EDIT: and before any wise-ass jumps in with a comment about Demon's Souls... that was a much older, jankier game, that only had a small fan base on release. It deserved a remake as it was such a niche title. TLOU was a multimillion selling juggernaut in 2013. There's literally no reason to remake it now, other than naked greed, and the reliance on the stupidity of gamers who should know better.
Exactly and DS is an old PS3 game at a bad technical state. TLoU released at the end of PS3 and already got a remaster on PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This remake is not going to change the story, characters, or gameplay, so I'll give it a pass until it's dirt cheap and worth it, just to see the graphical upgrade.

But it's The Last Of Us. Again.

A game I've already completed four times.
I'm just going to wait for when they do a native PS5 app for TLoU2 and buy it then with a double pack.

If a game is built from the ground up using a different engine and looks and plays 95% the same as the original game, they will also call it a remake but guess what? I wouldn't.

Then you would be incorrect. What you just described is basically the literal definition of a remake. It wasn't a word invented by game devs at the start of the PS4 era.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If a game is built from the ground up using a different engine and looks and plays 95% the same as the original game, they will also call it a remake but guess what? I wouldn't.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Demon's Souls does this. It's a remake.

Anyhow, this one won't play 95% like the original, it will play like 2, but probably with some refinements that will make it into a native app of Part 2 as well.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Demon's Souls does this. It's a remake.

Anyhow, this one won't play 95% like the original, it will play like 2, but probably some with more refinements that will make it into a native app of Part 2 as well.
Demon Souls looks and plays the same as the remake? What?

MiguelItUp

It's wild to think that we're getting a remake of a game that's not even 10 years old, that already had a remaster on the previous system. I loved the first game, but this just seems almost unnecessary to me. Especially for $70. The list of improvements is definitely neat, but nothing that makes me get out of my seat, lol.

Like others have mentioned, I'm curious to see what the actual combat looks like and how it's improved.

Pelta88

In my mind, they did this for two reasons:

1) Easy money

2) Trying to salvage the damage to the reputation that TLOU 2 did to the franchise.

Wished they spent that time and money to new games and IPs but alas, here we are.

chris-evans-laugh.gif

TLOU: 1.3 Million in 7 days. 17 million in 5 years (by 2018)

TLOU2: 4 million in 4 days. 10 million in 2 years (Fastest Selling PS exclusive ever btw)

But you go ahead and live in your own realm where TLOU2 isn't a blockbuster... Just because you don't think it should be.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Demon Souls looks and plays the same as the remake? What?
Demon's Souls remake plays 95% identical to the original. I won't say 100% because the new animation rigs make it "feel" better, but the timings and gameplay are actually identical with a few QOL improvements. On purpose.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Then you would be incorrect. What you just described is basically the literal definition of a remake. It wasn't a word invented by game devs at the start of the PS4 era.
My "wrong" definition that I will keep using is a game different enough in visuals and gameplay to warrant the asking price for me aka FF7, DS etc.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Demon's Souls remake plays 95% identical to the original. I won't say 100% because the new animation rigs make it "feel" better, but the timings and gameplay are actually identical with a few QOL improvements. On purpose.
In DeSo you could only roll in four directions. The remake made it control like subsequent Dark Souls games. Every bit of geometry is new.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Visually and technically a world of difference and yes plays similar with added animations by design but at 60fps not a struggling 30fps. The game was brought to modern standards. It is a game that needed the remake.

Refresher:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Visually and technically a world of difference and yes plays similar with added animations by design but at 60fps not a struggling 30fps. The game was brought to modern standards. It is a game that needed the remake.

Refresher:

What are you even arguing about?

TLoU1 REMAKE is being built from the ground up. The improvements listed in the OP are the very definition of a REMAKE. Much like DeS, but even more so in the gameplay department than DeS.

Both are remakes. Goodness.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Well at least it’s 2022.
Something AAA to play from a first party studio.
Maybe 2 if God of war is this year.

Take note MS it’s possible. (Can’t wait for forza and starfield though)

night13x

Think I am going to skip this release and hold out for the rumored ps5 Pro ultimate remaster platinum release in a couple of years. I heard it will have everything in this release, 3 new weapon skins, and more realistic bird animation.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
200.gif

Good thing about single player gaming. You don't need to day one, just wait for sales. Especially in the world of ever growing backlogs.
It has nothing to do about how much I am willing to pay, it's simply overpriced, especially the 2014 remastered version holds perfectly fine and you can easily get for around 10 bucks. It's a story driven game, fully remake or not, experience is mostly the same.

Sony this time targeting PC players maybe.
God of War doesn't even sell crazy on PC, I doubt at this price point TLOU remake would either.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It has nothing to do about how much I am willing to pay, it's simply overpriced, especially the 2014 remastered version holds perfectly fine and you can easily get for around 10 bucks. It's a story driven game, fully remake or not, experience is mostly the same.

Sony this time targeting PC players maybe.
God of War doesn't even sell crazy on PC, I doubt at this price point TLOU remake would either.
Overpriced to whom?

Top Bottom