• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I |PC OT| Losing our minds in Ultrawide

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those changes are minor and should not warrant anything more than a $5 or $10 max as DLC. Add to tha visual overhaul and I'll give you $30. I can even understand £40, but asking $60 or $70 is downright criminal.
$40 is fine for these visual overhauls. Thats what they released Ratchet, SOTC, and Halo for. Same gameplay, just completely overhauled the visuals.

I think Nintendo with their $60 Links Awakening visual overhaul made them think they could get away with $60 releases. Only they now have to pretend every game is worth $70 on PS5 so they probably have no choice but to charge it that much. Anyone who has played real remakes like RE2, RE4, Mafia, FF7, and MGS Twin Snakes knows that there is a clear difference between asset flips (which is still a lot of work mind you) and complete remakes of systems, bosses, and levels.

Whats funny is that Nintendo charged $40 for their latest Metroid remake after charging $60 for a freaking remaster for Skyward Sword. Maybe they learned their lesson after the game didnt hit their sales target? Maybe Sony will do the same going forward with their Horizon remaster/remake.

sainraja

I am playing through this again on the PS5 and enjoying it a lot more then I did the first time. I didn't dislike it or hate it or anything but just wasn't getting into it as I thought I would because of Uncharted.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Come on man. I don't consider Tlou Remake a cash grab but FFVII Remake is the definition of what a remake should be about.

iwi4834x66e41.jpg

Unless you're talking about dividing it into 3 part, then yeah, that's a different topic.
yes
hLyFxyy.jpg

bqnWr7A.jpg

Rush2112

Banned
Funny how you never hear this complaint about the Resident Evil 4 Remake.
Sure this game is totally on the same level of resident evil 4 remake. uh huh, sure thing. Keep on dreaming. This shit is just a PC port Sony didn’t want to bother.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because it's a shitty cash grab rip-off garbage way more than tlou remake?!
I don’t think you know the meaning of “cash grab”, you can be angry about the changes all you want but FFVIIR is anything but cash grab. They took a risk even if it meant people like you get pissy about it. Unfortunately for you it paid off and majority of people liked it.

Love the first game (and only the first game) so I've been looking forward to replaying this on PC for some time... but I'm neck deep in RE4 so I'm going to wait.

BootsLoader

Banned
Is it me or PC specs for games are getting more and more expensive? To play this game with decent graphics you need 1500$ PC without including monitors, controllers, mouse, keyboard etc. Why is this? I am sorry for the off topic but.....32 GB Ram? Wtf?

Midn1ght

Feels like a mistake releasing this so close to re4
At this point I think Sony does not really care all that much about release sales on PC, last few titles barely had any marketing, they just drop games on PC and move on, their main focus remains the PS5 after all.

Games usually have longer legs on PC than consoles though so give it 4 or 5 more years and they'll have a nice library of 30+ games on PC which will bring a decent amount of money each year to complement their console business. Add to that a few GAAS titles they might drop day 1 and it all make sense. Sort of...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Whats funny is that Nintendo charged $40 for their latest Metroid remake after charging $60 for a freaking remaster for Skyward Sword. Maybe they learned their lesson after the game didnt hit their sales target? Maybe Sony will do the same going forward with their Horizon remaster/remake.

Metroid’s not as big of a seller though, so I think that’s why Nintendo gave it a sane price. Zelda can just be a simple remaster, and they’ll get full price for it. The audience is way bigger.

Gaiff

That's very unlikely. Skyward Sword on Switch matched the Wii's total sales in just 77 days. There's a decent chance it's at 5M now.
Metroid’s not as big of a seller though, so I think that’s why Nintendo gave it a sane price. Zelda can just be a simple remaster, and they’ll get full price for it. The audience is way bigger.
Yeah, this makes sense. Zelda is just a heavy hitter now. BOTW selling over 30M copies puts it in a very select category. It's among the very best-selling franchises at the moment, surpassing even the likes of GOW or TLOU and only outdone by huge games like Mario Kart, GTA, or Spidey (which is one of the biggest brands in the world).

We’ll have to see benchmarks. Returnal pulled off better than PS5 performance with a $250 2060.
It did but it's UE4 and the takeaway I got is simply that Housemarque were way too conservative with the resolution. A 3060 Ti holds above 60fps at native 1440p/max settings so I imagine the PS5 could have done the same with DRS. It could bottom out at 1080p in extreme scenarios but would otherwise remain close to or above 60fps at High settings. The 3060 at 1080p max settings is consistently above 70fps, averaging around 75-80.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Not sure where they're going with the 100GB SSD requirement even for minimum settings. People will have it running on a HDD and we already know it'll be playable on SteamDeck.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dividing in three parts, changing the combat and ruining the story, the definition of what a remake should not do.
^^^

espeically the story. FF7 is the TLOU of the 90s, people loved that game's story. Fucking it up the way the remake did is just proof that the remake will be trash... I'm not sticking around for the mediocre boring combat, why the story either? I love good graphics but i can get that in actually good remakes like RE4 and Dead Space (not to mention that original FF7 still looks good with the advanced CGI renders)

Last edited:

Edder1

How do you expect this to be sold as $5-$10 DLC on PC??
I don't. I'm saying these improvements alone are worth that much to me. Like I mentioned earlier, add to those improvements visual upgrade and $30 or even &40 makws sense, but $60 or $70 is simply wrong.

Considering the lack of marketing I don't think it'll be doing major sales out the gate.

Sony don't really seem bothered to make a big deal of their PC releases these days.

That said I do think it will have stong legs for years to come. It'll be a slow burner for sales.

Plus we also got to remember anyone's who had a PS3 PS4 or PS5 has likely played it already.

If the new multiplayer game is straight to PC that will really help the series perferomance on PC imo.

3liteDragon

If the new multiplayer game is straight to PC that will really help the series perferomance on PC imo.
They don’t bother marketing any of their PC ports for some reason, I think it’ll help with their numbers for sure. And Factions is definitely gonna be on PC day 1 alongside PS.

They don’t bother marketing any of their PC ports for some reason, I think it’ll help with their numbers for sure. And Factions is definitely gonna be on PC day 1 alongside PS.

It's a bit strange really and it can be clearly seen in their PC release sales. All the early release games did relatively well and now all the releases are doing a lot worse since the hype of Sony coming to PC died down.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Incredible game.

But the remake is really a game you have to play to appreciate. Its fucking fantastic. I was underwhelmed by the visuals at first because their marketing did an abysmal job showcasing the game. But the game looked amazing when I played it. Right up there with HFW for top visuals last year.

And they brought in the improved gore from TLOU 2 into Part 1. Makes Joel feel even more badass. They didnt even mention that in any of their marketing videos.

This will be an incredible experience on a decked out PC, I expect to see some screenshots shortly.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
^^^

espeically the story. FF7 is the TLOU of the 90s, people loved that game's story. Fucking it up the way the remake did is just proof that the remake will be trash... I'm not sticking around for the mediocre boring combat, why the story either? I love good graphics but i can get that in actually good remakes like RE4 and Dead Space (not to mention that original FF7 still looks good with the advanced CGI renders)
No. Original ff7 does not look good anymore. It’s an impenetrable barrier for those without nostalgia for it.
7 remake is incredible and actually a game that is fun to play.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At this point I think Sony does not really care all that much about release sales on PC, last few titles barely had any marketing, they just drop games on PC and move on, their main focus remains the PS5 after all.

Games usually have longer legs on PC than consoles though so give it 4 or 5 more years and they'll have a nice library of 30+ games on PC which will bring a decent amount of money each year to complement their console business. Add to that a few GAAS titles they might drop day 1 and it all make sense. Sort of...
Longer life on pc is normal because gamers wait for deep discounts. Not sure if that’s satisfactory for Sony though

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No. Original ff7 does not look good anymore. It’s an impenetrable barrier for those without nostalgia for it.
the blocky models are distracting but can be modded out of the overworld and replaced with more suitable ones

the CGI backgrounds still look quite good, even if not as good as what would be shown in FF9 and FFX
lIi949H.gif
D40ntOD.jpeg
vJsZbsm.jpeg
vH9kUAA.jpeg

Upscale them with AI and FF7 goes from a 1997 game visually to a 2003 one

Imgur link containing all the sexy material:

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the blocky models are distracting but can be modded out of the overworld and replaced with more suitable ones

the CGI backgrounds still look quite good, even if not as good as what would be shown in FF9 and FFX
lIi949H.gif
D40ntOD.jpeg
vJsZbsm.jpeg
vH9kUAA.jpeg

Yeah ai upscale looks great. Resident evil 2 also.
But mods are a different discussion

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But mods are a different discussion
this is a PC OT dude, anyone can mod the game so long as your PC can run the Satsuki yatoshi mod. It's the best way to play the game IMO and removes a lot of the age of the game, like a remaster we never got. Plus they recently added widescreen support which makes it look even better.

Also i'm not the biggest fan of turn based but FF7's combat gets pretty fun 5 hours in... more magic, materia and weapons to play around with, the summons are nice too. i would still perfer if it were real time but i'd rather have the original, uncorrupted vision of the game than a bastardized remake made by an incompetent director

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
this is a PC OT dude, anyone can mod the game so long as your PC can run the Satsuki yatoshi mod. It's the best way to play the game IMO and removes a lot of the age of the game, like a remaster we never got. Plus they recently added widescreen support which makes it look even better.

Also i'm not the biggest fan of turn based but FF7's combat gets pretty fun 5 hours in... more magic, materia and weapons to play around with, the summons are nice too. i would still perfer if it were real time but i'd rather have the original, uncorrupted vision of the game than a bastardized remake made by an incompetent director
Yes but at the same time no modder will turn 2013 tlou into 2022 one. It’s a completely rebuilt game.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
7 remake is incredible and actually a game that is fun to play.
It’s nice to look at and hits the nostalgia feels, but I prefer the old turn based gameplay. They overly padded the remake with long areas that don’t serve much of a purpose. Add on the cutscenes that desperately need an editor and it became a bit of a slog. I’d take the original any day tbh, but I still appreciate seeing Midgar in HD, a free PS5 patch for 60FPS, arranged soundtrack, etc.

TLOU Part I, on the other hand, is the definitive version to play. Even if I’m quadruple dipping, I’ll be getting the PC version when the rest of my hardware is up to snuff

Last edited:

lIi949H.gif
D40ntOD.jpeg
vJsZbsm.jpeg
vH9kUAA.jpeg

I tried modding FF7 on Steam but it was pissing me off because they definitely didn't look as good as those images. I know they are upscaled with AI... i mean it was so obvious and looked bad. Also not every area was updated so you'd have crappy AI upscale backgrounds and then go into an area with the original pixelated backgrounds. There was a mod with really good looking custom made backgrounds but I could never get it to work.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also not every area was updated so you'd have crappy AI upscale backgrounds and then go into an area with the original pixelated backgrounds.
weird, in my case the satsuki mod upscales everything so there's no issue. The AI upscaling does have issues but that simply comes with having to work with such low res material. I wish they touched them up a bit to look less weird, but i still perfer how the game looks over the PS1 original which was pixellated asf. It's the closest thing we'll get to a remake that doesnt remove the fixed cameras and fuck up the story

I want fixed camera backgrounds like this back :(

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

this will have 20k concurrent players on steam, 25k tops. its gonna do better than uncharted but wont do better than miles morales and the decline will keep going until sony releases a good game on PC.

skneogaf

I wish I would have waited and bought the pc version instead of the blurry ps5 version.

Did I see somewhere it says 3d audio? My home theatre is ready!

yamaci17

Is it me or PC specs for games are getting more and more expensive? To play this game with decent graphics you need 1500$ PC without including monitors, controllers, mouse, keyboard etc. Why is this? I am sorry for the off topic but.....32 GB Ram? Wtf?
game will perfectly run on 16 gb. heck, I can make this thing work at rock solid 40 FPS on 8 gb ram budget

and no, you don't need a 1500 bucks PC. a 350 bucks 6700xt will match or outpace a PS5 easily and you can easily build a 800-900 bucks pc with a 6700xt/5600x/12400 in it

here's spiderman miles morales running at 1440p high locked 45 fps with high %1 lows;

(requirements claim you need 16 gb ram for 1080p medium and 8 gb ram for 720p/lowest possible settings)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
this will have 20k concurrent players on steam, 25k tops. its gonna do better than uncharted but wont do better than miles morales and the decline will keep going until sony releases a good game on PC.
Do we have a list of concurrent players on steam for sony exclusives?

Gaiff

I'm expecting 50-60K. The TV show probably helped and unlike Uncharted, it's the first game in the series, not the 4th one.

Tomi

This will be best Sony release to date
Mark my words
I talk about 1st weekend

Midn1ght

Longer life on pc is normal because gamers wait for deep discounts. Not sure if that’s satisfactory for Sony though
Same goes on consoles with discount, free PS+ down the line and physical second hand market.
Obviously day one release and console exclusivity bring them the big bucks.

It's gonna be 3 years since Horizon released on PC and there's no sign of Sony pulling the breaks on PC, I think they're fine with how it's doing. It's easy money, low investment cost and brings more people to their franchises. There's no negative in my opinion, and yeah I know a few people disagree with that.

Top Bottom