• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I Rebuilt for PS5 - Features and Gameplay Trailer

Draugoth

Gold Member

New in-depth The Last of Us Part I video showcases how Naughty Dog overhauled visuals and gameplay.

While the Last of Us Part I can render Native 4K at targeted 30 FPS or dynamic 4K at targeted 60 FPS*, and features PS5 mainstays like DualSense wireless controller haptics, trigger effects, and 3D audio**, it’s clear that there’s a lot more going on here than a simple resolution and framerate bump, it’s a complete overhaul.

From the art direction to the character models, the entire game has been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of a new generation of graphical capability, allowing this game to reach the visual fidelity that the studio aspired for when crafting this experience. The PS5’s powerful hardware drives a host of visual benefits, from denser physics with tons of bumpables and chipables (bullets can now rip apart concrete and environmental objects) and cinematics now transition seamlessly to gameplay. Motion matching technology means that character animations flow more convincingly, intuitively and realistically; all adding another layer of believability to characters and their interactions with the world. Further, AI upgrades mean that characters inhabit the world in a more authentic and realistic way, such as buddy characters navigating cover to avoid enemy NPC sightlines more authentically.

The enhancements are all in the name of increasing the game’s immersion, but the improvements don’t stop there. Naughty Dog worked with their community to integrate some fan requests, including a “permadeath” mode, a speedrun-focused mode, and a host of brand-new unlockable costumes for Joel and Ellie. The game also hosts 60-plus accessibility options, outpacing what the developer was able to offer with The Last of Us Part II, and includes a new Audio Description mode, ensuring that play is rewarding and inclusive for all.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Druckman "(the technology) allows to make everything better, not different, but better"

Outside of some enhancements like dual sense, based on the video, everything they show and talk about, it looks like the game play has not received any overhauls in terms of mechanics or bringing in TLoU 2's advanced stealth etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does this debunk the leaked footage?

I don't think so, no debunking but this video just goes into greater depth of how they can use more physics in objects, improve the partner AI, use dual sense features for feedback when using weapons and the graphical overhaul etc. Nothing about the greater game play loop.

Last edited:

omegasc

Gold Member
Druckman "(the technology) allows to make everything better, not different, but better"

Outside of some enhancements like dual sense, based on the video, everything they show and talk about, it looks like the game play has not received any overhauls in terms of mechanics or bringing in TLoU 2's advanced stealth etc.
I'd say the enhanced AI might make it different, probably better.

Some scenes very clearly show an improvement to the gameplay, which mostly lie in smoother animations. Part 2 played so much better because everything felt seamless; going from stealth to attacking. The actual gameplay wasn’t drastically different on a mechanical level aside from of course prone and jumping.

xion4360

Don't know if this was released today in response to leaks, but im glad they finally showed it off properly. While i wish there was more from part 2 brought in, at least the improvements are more clear here.

Tripolygon

Banned
Nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses and all but damn there is a massive difference.

ug7UgHI.jpg

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

At least it looks very polished in contrast to some of those leaked screenshots.

The quality of life adjustments are nice, same for the Dualsense implementation and of course the visuals. It does look like the definitive version of the game.

But I was hoping for more of a change to the combat like TLoU: Part II had, with going prone and crawling under vehicles, dodge, jump, improved melee, etc. The improved AI should make for better enemy encounters at least.

I remember seeing some people saying the environments should be more destructible now, and indeed they do appear to have added more environmental destruction.

Ultimately I think it’s targeted for really big fans of the series or newcomers. Otherwise waiting for a sale price is probably the way to go.

tmlDan

At least it looks very polished in contrast to some of those leaked screenshots.

The quality of life adjustments are nice, same for the Dualsense implementation and of course the visuals. It does look like the definitive version of the game.

But I was hoping for more of a change to the combat like TLoU: Part II had, with going prone and crawling under vehicles, dodge, jump, improved melee, etc. The improved AI should make for better enemy encounters at least.

I remember seeing some people saying the environments should be more destructible now, and indeed they do appear to have added more environmental destruction.

Ultimately I think it’s targeted for really big fans of the series or newcomers. Otherwise waiting for a sale price is probably the way to go.
you wont see an old man crawling under cars or jumping, but it would have been nice for them to add a dodge button and maybe add a few new features.

DeepSpace5D

you wont see an old man crawling under cars or jumping, but it would have been nice for them to add a dodge button and maybe add a few new features.
Eh, I don’t see Joel as so old in the first game that he wouldn’t be able to crawl on the ground or jump. Think about everything they go through in Part I. Gotta have a pretty durable frame to withstand some of that. If he can fully sprint in the middle of a fight, I don’t see why he couldn’t crawl or jump as well.

This is great for PC players and PS players who didn't play the original, albeit overpriced in my opinion. It is still a great game story wise but the gameplay is so dated.
I can't help but feel disappointed that this remake is only using the capabilities of the new generation to enhance graphics, animations, and AI. Why not expand the game, adding more things to explore in each section for example?

Anyway this is a hard pass for me I'm afraid. Looking side by side the remake is obviously better looking, but the original was good looking enough at the time for the story to have an impact on me.

Last edited:
LMAO no motion matching!! No improved AI! Graphics are basically the same!!

nope.nope.nope.

Now its… this isnt TLoU3!

Ill buy this game again, I dont give a fuck about no 70 bucks. I would have bought a Xbox One and some gamepass if I did.

That being said… I rather play this back to back with Factions. I dont wanna scratch and itch then have to wait another year. I need to time my AAA Sony exclusives better.

EruditeHobo

I get that this is damage control after the disaster that TLOU 2 was, but still.

Yep. Just another one of those 10M-selling disasters! A real cautionary tale.

Good trailer. Game looks great. I'm sure it will sell well this year and next year when the show comes out.
That said if anyone isn't interested in the definitive version of TLOU, I guess I get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom