• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I (Remake) | Review Thread

What score do you predict TLOUS Part I Remake will get?

• 10-20%

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • 90-100%

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 18 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bender

What time is it?

Not a knock on the review but more of a personal preference. I didn't care for the narrative, characters or their motivations in TLOU2 which is the polar opposite of the original. I was also kind of annoyed at how TLOU2 retcons some of my takeaways from TLOU, especially the ending. I read the closing scene as Ellie knowing Joel is lying which makes the trip back to Utah in TLOU2 all the more bizarre.

Chukhopops

Why does it matter? Should a remake not be full priced for some unexplained reason?

Or do you mean people who bought the first should be entitled to a discount? Did the original come with a life time coupon I’m not aware of?
No need to be so pathetically agressive, dozens of remakes / remasters offered upgrade paths for existing owners, sometimes for free (sounds crazy, I know).

This one doesn’t and it’s ok that reviews mention it, deal with it.

Topher

Gold Member
For what it's worth I've put waaay more time into the multiplayer than I did the story, and I did 5+ story playthroughs between platinuming both the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Sure it's hyperbole but that's how they get the message across that they don't like the value proposition for this release. I feel the same way so I am waiting for a discount.

Edit: Also, just quickly browsing through the review summaries on opencritic. Most reviewers share that sentiment to a certain degree.

TLOU is viewed by the vast majority as a single player game first and foremost. I don't have a problem with the criticism that it lacks multiplayer or that its cost. Calling that statement hyperbole is being nice. I think it is just bullshit. Certainly not "practically perfect".

It was £35 with rip off places like game trying to charge £40. Something happened this gen where its 70 dollars vs 70 pounds digital.

I've seen this at 59.99 cheapest for a disk copy. That's insane for what it is.

This shows the price at 39.99 GBP on the PlayStation Store in 2014.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not a knock on the review but more of a personal preference. I didn't care for the narrative, characters or their motivations in TLOU2 which is the polar opposite of the original. I was also kind of annoyed at how TLOU2 retcons some of my takeaways from TLOU, especially the ending. I read the closing scene as Ellie knowing Joel is lying which makes the trip back to Utah in TLOU2 all the more bizarre.
She knows hes lying and choose to accept it at that moment, but the entire point of the three flashbacks was that she couldn't continue living with that lie. It kept eating away at her and the constant reminders of fireflies and other people dying due to lack of a vaccine made her break and go find the truth herself.

I just didnt see it as a retcon but more of an acknowledgement that it was never a happy ending. It was always bittersweet one and thats why we always knew that their relationship built on a lie would never last.

Wohc

Banned
These reviews are subjective as hell
How else do you think this works? Globally standardized test procedures? Some people value the price, some don't. Some Value story higher than gameplay, some value graphics higer than everything. Some have grown up with a PS/Nintendo/Xbox and value games from their brand higher and so on.

Why are they saying it's half the content of the last two releases?

I mean, I don't get it. LOU Remake was only 8 years ago and playable on PS5. Why do we need this? Why didn't they just up-res this for free?
I think that you're losing your own argument by simply asking the question, because game developers and publishers will always find a reason for yet another release of the game that they already have, the hardest part of this whole discussion by far is to justify the existence of this remake, this is the most controversial part, but in the mind of the people that made the game it's improved graphics, improved accessibility, new content that can be anything related to cosmetic items, etc, but there is also one more factor, actually, two more factors that only apply to this game, 1 - HBO's show is not far from us, the people who will end up consuming it are to be expected to pick up this new game that came out recently. 2 - PlayStation 5, right now things are going rather slowly with the releases due to obvious reasons, so the release train has to be on track on matter what or they will lose the audience retention. If my comment somehow seems like it's trying to justify this release or condemn it, the way I see it it's neither of those things, because I am in the unique spot where I want to play this game, but $70 is the average salary where I live, on top of that I don't have PS5, so.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
TLOU is viewed by the vast majority as a single player game first and foremost. I don't have a problem with the criticism that it lacks multiplayer or that its cost. Calling that statement hyperbole is being nice. I think it is just bullshit. Certainly not "practically perfect".

Yeah so 35 in nearly all stores on disk. Now it's double that and almost double the 39.99 asking digital price.

Metro are not far off with their comment. Basically twice the price and missing online. Crazy.

SeraphJan

How else do you think this works? Globally standardized test procedures? Some people value the price, some don't. Some Value story higher than gameplay, some value graphics higer than everything. Some have grown up with a PS/Nintendo/Xbox and value games from their brand higher and so on.
There are no criteria for what a good or bad games are, it all come down to the personal taste of the reviewers. On top of that reviewers often had no knowledge of the games they are reviewing, had to speed through games with cheats or on easy mode to meet the deadlines. Number based review is also a terrible way of rating a game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
She knows hes lying and choose to accept it at that moment, but the entire point of the three flashbacks was that she couldn't continue living with that lie. It kept eating away at her and the constant reminders of fireflies and other people dying due to lack of a vaccine made her break and go find the truth herself.

I just didnt see it as a retcon but more of an acknowledgement that it was never a happy ending. It was always bittersweet one and thats why we always knew that their relationship built on a lie would never last.

If she knows he is lying, the trip to Utah is pointless as the only reason to make that journey is to resolve doubt. Personally, that diminishes the ending of the original and paints Ellie as naïve.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah so 35 in nearly all stores on disk. Now it's double that and almost double the 39.99 asking digital price.

Metro are not far off with their comment. Basically twice the price and missing online. Crazy.

Nah, it is a bullshit line designed to get attention. Guess it worked.

Wohc

Banned
There are no criteria for what a good or bad games are. On top of that reviewers often had no knowledge of the games they are reviewing, had to speed through games with cheats or on easy mode to meet the deadlines. Number based review is also a terrible way of rating a game too.
The worst part is that Metacritc combines all the different number based rating systems. Not a fan either. I think there should just be a pro and contra list and Metacritic should list the top 5 pros and the top 5 contras from all the reviews.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

The worst part is that Metacritc combines all the different number based rating systems up. Not a fan either. I think there should just be a pro and contra list and Metacritic should list the top 5 pros and the top 5 contras from all the reviews.
Exactly, although not perfect, I prefer Steam user review over Metacritic/Opencritic

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No, reviewers don't need to make bullshit comments. They need to make accurate statements. And the price I've seen for TLOU Remastered at release was $50 so I seriously doubt it was 35 pounds in the UK.
Ive got no horse in the race but I know for a fact TLOU Remastered launched with an RRP of 39.99 pounds.
I got way back when.
Its always hard to find cached store pages from way back when, but a simple search around the drama of "give us a discount" will find articles talking about the launch price of the game.

To quote the article:
The Last of Us Remastered is currently going for around £40 in the UK, but there are some good deals online. GAME and Amazon are selling it for £38. GameStop has it down for just under £30.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
It's interesting because I've always thought that reviews should be based entirely on the quality of the game and not external factors like price. But most reviewers took price and the fact that it is a remake of a PS3 game that was itself remastered.

That makes me wonder if this is something these reviewers ONLY did for this particular game or if they have always considered things like price in their reviews and they just don't mention it? Are games like Celeste and Dead Cells really 9's and 10's or do they score that high because they are typically $40 or less?

If the original Last of Us released without the multiplayer mode it probably would have scored basically the same as it did with it. But since this game does not include that mode (but does include Left Behind although it doesn't seem to have helped the review scores all that much) it's absence is a mark against it. I considered MGS V a masterpieces and so did IGN. But we all know there was a significant amount of cut content in that game. Should the missing content have factored into the score?

This game is obviously reviewing well enough and will sell 10+ million units but I think the discussions that can be had about the review process for these outlets is more interesting than any effect the reviews have on this particular game. Is IGN's 10 for Elden Ring worth more than it's 10 for Spelunky 2 because it's a full priced game and thus is judged on a higher scale than the indie game? It's just interesting to me.

GHG

Gold Member
Ive got no horse in the race but I know for a fact TLOU Remastered launched with an RRP of 39.99 pounds.
I got way back when.
Its always hard to find cached store pages from way back when, but a simple search around the drama of "give us a discount" will find articles talking about the launch price of the game.

To quote the article:
The Last of Us Remastered is currently going for around £40 in the UK, but there are some good deals online. GAME and Amazon are selling it for £38. GameStop has it down for just under £30.

Launched at £50 on psn:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
According to who exactly?

Value is more important than price and value is subjective. If you're not willing to pay the price of admission then either wait for a sale or move on.

Crying over nothing. If you want to elbe catered to based on price above all else then there are companies that are perfectly catering towards you, stick with them.

So you're not allowed to complain? That's bullshit.

I love this game but its not worth the price of admission imo and I'm more than happy to wait for a sale. There's nothing wrong with me saying I agree with the comments the metro made. That's what started this.

I'm happy to wait and I will. I just think it should be cheaper.

GHG

Gold Member
So you're not allowed to complain? That's bullshit.

I love this game but its not worth the price of admission imo and I'm more than happy to wait for a sale. There's nothing wrong with me saying I agree with the comments the metro made. That's what started this.

I'm happy to wait and I will. I just think it should be cheaper.

I think it should be cheaper too because I've already played the original, so I'll wait for it to hit a price I'm happy with, there's no rush.

In the meantime it's good to see it is in fact a high quality remake that should be worth the price to those who have never experienced the game before.

Fredrik

Sidenote: TLOU1 has the perfect ending. A sequel was never needed. Never played 2 but got spoiled on the story and Joel and I’ve never stopped frowning.

This Remake is special to me, TLOU is still something in this world through this game. It’s about a father that lost his wife and his daughter and still found a way to keep going and found a tiny bit of hope left in this dark world through his new relationship with Ellie. In 2 they destroyed all that but in isolation 1 is still awesome. I hoped I would get all the gameplay upgrades from 2 into 1 with this remake but sadly that never happened. I’ll still very gladly play it (when it comes to game-catalogue). 2 I can be without, not made for me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it should be cheaper too because I've already played the original, so I'll wait for it to hit a price I'm happy with, there's no rush.

In the meantime it's good to see it is in fact a high quality remake that should be worth the price to those who have never experienced the game before.

Yeah it looks absolutely incredible to me. I admit I'm salty because I want to buy it. Just not at 60 or 70 pounds.

Scored in the region of what I was expecting. DF's video is surprising with regards to how old the original + remaster actually looks compared to the remake.

Ready to dive in again - luckily I avoided playing through the remaster or even replaying the original

I absolutely LOVED the way they ended the game. It's one of the few endings that has stuck with me for all these years - from any books/games/movies etc.

Varteras

Gold Member
This project only existed because a few people at Sony's Visual Arts wanted to be recognized as a legit development team and began working on a remake. Then got control of that project taken from them because they were doing a poor job and Naughty Dog was put in charge. No doubt already having its hands full at the time. The fact that they're able to pull off a high 80's (damn near 90) score with this project while cutting the original multiplayer, charging $70 which confused a lot of people, and left what some considered to be dated level designs as is, well that's damn impressive. I think that speaks volumes not only to the quality of the original game and how impressive the improvements they made are, but how well Naughty Dog operates. If they can get something this "controversial" to review this well, then we should all be excited for their next game.

Hunnybun

Although you, myself, and many others here are more interested in PT. vs Pt.1 Remake comparisons, this is a remake for The Last of Us Pt.1, so no.

But it's an analysis for absolute fucking tech nerds like us who watch DF - and most of us are savvy enough to know that OBVIOUSLY it's gonna look better than a *PS3* game - so yes.

SeraphJan

For sure. Also on Steam you don't have those console fanboys upvoting and downvoting their games. Userscore on Metacritc is a shithole.
Yeah, even on those rare occasions where users do drop massive negative review on Steam, you knew that something must definitely gone wrong with the technical aspect of that game, which is a strong indicator of red flag for the buyer. However this technical part is completely omitted in Metacritic type of review system.

Another good thing about Steam is that the reviews are constantly updated , meaning if the game was gradually fixed over time (both technical and gameplay), it will eventually be reflected on the final metric (with a separate "recent" metric as well).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No one was buying a game off psn for 50 pounds if that's even true. Not in 2014. It was still disks and the high Street or online.

It was 35 quid practically everywhere. Even cheaper in the odd place.

But that wasn't the RRP and so stating this game is double the price is wrong.

Fredrik

That's not true at all. We always review games objectively unlike others.
How?? It’s always subjective when a person is telling you how much they like something. Unless it’s about the number of pixels or triangles or some other metric you can have an actual factual figure on I don’t see how it’s possible to be objective. You can always try though.

This a tough game to review. TLOU is a 10/10 game you can play in 60fps for 10$. So it’s tough to say is the upgrades worth an extra 60$. A lot of the reviews don’t take the financial component into account which is fine. 9/10 for the experience is probably underrated in a vaccum.

skit_data

MC score seem to land pretty much exactly where I expected, maybe a little higher.

I’ll pick this up on a discount, looking forward to playing it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It’s fucking crazy and somewhat shocking g how this game is still inarguably the quintessential, top tier game of the genre. Only the sequel is better.
The game doesn’t feel outdated at all

Umbasaborne

Banned
The scores make sense to me, but as someone who played the ps4 remaster for the first time
Only 3 years ago, i think i can comfortably wait for a discount.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
No one was buying a game off psn for 50 pounds if that's even true. Not in 2014. It was still disks and the high Street or online.

Are we disputing the RRP or what the disk version could be found for at the time?

For the record I purchased it at launch via my US PSN account and got it for $49.99.

PUuUfsQ.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Launched at £50 on psn:

Thanks for that store.
It fully confirms what I remember.

With 35 being easily findable brick and mortar.

mNX9D80.png

It was 39 on PSN.
35 brick and mortar was basically anywhere/everywhere.

Relique

Lol you are way too pressed over this subjective review. Maybe to this reviewer factions was half the game, it doesn't matter what it was to you or "most people."

The reviewer exaggerated the price difference a bit. 40 to 70 pounds is not double. It was close enough though and people got the point. The point is that for them, it's less game for more money. Did you want him to calculate the exact percentage to align with your sensibilities? Exaggerating and using idioms to get a point across isn't anything new.

Why does it matter? Should a remake not be full priced for some unexplained reason?

Or do you mean people who bought the first should be entitled to a discount? Did the original come with a life time coupon I’m not aware of?
When remakes from other publishers and studios add content that was not present in the OG game, do not remove content that was in the OG game, and in some cases are priced at a discount, then it definitely matters.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Thanks for that store.
It fully confirms what I remember.

With 35 being easily findable brick and mortar.

mNX9D80.png

It was 39 on PSN.
35 brick and mortar was basically anywhere/everywhere.

I thought as much, thought I was going crazy. At £70 its twice as much as nearly anyone paid for it..missing its online component.

I don't see why anyone would want to defend this.

Bartski

Gold Member
From the guys that recently gave Saints Row 8.5.

that's all folks GIF by Space Jam's all folks GIF by Space Jam
The fact that, as far as I can tell, none of the script has been rewritten only exacerbates the issue, as there's been no attempt to modernize the narrative, highlighting every clumsy line or stilted narrative beat.

In many cases, the story washed over me; I felt far less for its characters than I anticipated – especially Joel, who is written ostensibly as a man hardened by the world around him, callous and trained not to show emotions. That's fine; a story like that can work, but this time, I found him needlessly cruel to characters who don't deserve it – such as Ellie, a literal child. There's being cold, and there's being a jerk. Unfortunately, The Last of Us trips over that line repeatedly. Again, maybe that's the point. But it doesn't make it a good point.

... wow.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, reviewers don't need to make bullshit comments. They need to make accurate statements. And the price I've seen for TLOU Remastered at release was $50 so I seriously doubt it was 35 pounds in the UK.
RRP at launch in the UK was £39.99.

Topher

Gold Member
Lol you are way too pressed over this subjective review. Maybe to this reviewer factions was half the game, it doesn't matter what it was to you or "most people."

The reviewer exaggerated the price difference a bit. 40 to 70 pounds is not double. It was close enough though and people got the point. The point is that for them, it's less game for more money. Did you want him to calculate the exact percentage to align with your sensibilities? Exaggerating and using idioms to get a point across isn't anything new.

lol....if I'm "too pressed" then you are white knighting it a bit too much. I think what the reviewer actually says in the review is much better.

"The Last Of Us Part 1 is not only the most expensive version of the game ever but also the most content light, since it completely removes the multiplayer element..."

Nothing wrong with that at all. So yeah, I prefer that the statements made be about a game in a review be straight forward and accurate. Should I adjust my opinion on that to align with your sensibilities?

Last edited:

Woggleman

This is why the remake was a bad idea. It was and is a truly great game but the end of the day it is a PS3 game. Calling it outdated is just pointless since it is a 10 year old game. Let it be a product of it's time. The PS4 version was already at 60 FPS so what else could they have done without completely redoing everything?

Top Bottom