• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II and Part I sales are climbing the charts

A.Romero

It's almost as if they know what they are doing and how to leverage different mediums for maximum profit...

I hope this makes clear why they made the remake and why they could re-release the second one for PS5.

ergem

It's almost as if they know what they are doing and how to leverage different mediums for maximum profit...

I hope this makes clear why they made the remake and why they could re-release the second one for PS5.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remake makes sense now too. It was a PS4 game though. I wonder if they can make it look a lot better to validate a remake instead of remaster.

According to Amazon and a few other places Part 2 has been selling better than Remastered so would be interesting to see where that ended up.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
BuT I wAs ToLD CuCkMaN wEnT wOkE aNd WoUlD gO bRoKe!!!!11

All according to Jim's plan :messenger_open_mouth:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-l...mped-238-after-tv-show-launch-uk-boxed-charts

and things are going to get bigger as the show goes on.
Then they'll have the perfect environment to launch TLOU Online, possibly even at the end of this year.

Factions releasing this year would be a home run for them, right after Spider-Man 2 and the launch of a slim model. Either way they will start marketing it relatively soon after the show ends so the TLOU Blitz won’t be ending anytime soon.

Jimbo also stated they want to release 12 GAAS by 2026 which means they only have less than two years to start dropping projects. Since Factions is the only one they’re actively talking about i have to assume its the first one coming

Factions releasing this year would be a home run for them, right after Spider-Man 2 and the launch of a slim model. Either way they will start marketing it relatively soon after the show ends so the TLOU Blitz won’t be ending anytime soon.

Jimbo also stated they want to release 12 GAAS by 2026 which means they only have less than two years to start dropping projects. Since Factions is the only one they’re actively talking about i have to assume its the first one coming

Have to assume it comes out in like late Spring/Early Summer anything later and you lose the buzz.

PS5/PC. Maybe PS4, unlikely but possible Android/iOS. Even less likely Switch. Almost impossible Xbox.

But if they were smart, they'd put this on every device including Xbox, because it would drive sales of the single-player games too.

But if they were smart, they'd put this on every device including Xbox

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Don’t let the Destiny/Bungie deal get it twisted, sony is still very much in the Console selling business. They want to sell playstations, and subscriptions, and peripherals, and 3rd party games.

The GAAS initiative is get people into the playstation eco system which is still PS5 and I assume there will soon be a Playstation PC store.

Also, i wouldn’t worry about Buzz when it comes to this game. It’s gonna be big no matter what

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Have to assume it comes out in like late Spring/Early Summer anything later and you lose the buzz.

PS5/PC. Maybe PS4, unlikely but possible Android/iOS. Even less likely Switch. Almost impossible Xbox.

But if they were smart, they'd put this on every device including Xbox, because it would drive sales of the single-player games too.
i said the same thing a few months ago and my comment was deleted. 😆

but yeah. it would be such an "aggressive, 4D chess move".

GaaS are beyond a plastic box; for them to thrive, they need the biggest population of gamers possible.

BUT despite the majority of people taking for granted this game being Free To Play, I could see a scenario in which is released as a full price one.

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Don’t let the Destiny/Bungie deal get it twisted, sony is still very much in the Console selling business. They want to sell playstations, and subscriptions, and peripherals, and 3rd party games.

The GAAS initiative is get people into the playstation eco system which is still PS5 and I assume there will soon be a Playstation PC store.

Also, i wouldn’t worry about Buzz when it comes to this game. It’s gonna be big no matter what

While it wasn't their idea, look at MLB The Show, which is more successful now than ever before because it is multiplatform. Needs to be on PC this year. The more player base you have the better on these games.

The GaaS initiative is to get more revenue, that revenue is then used to build the ecosystem.

I agree that there will be a PC store. I think that's sony's next big frontier.

i said the same thing a few months ago and my comment was deleted. 😆

but yeah. it would be such an "aggressive, 4D chess move".

GaaS are beyond a plastic box; for them to thrive, they need the biggest population of gamers possible.

BUT despite the majority of people taking for granted this game being Free To Play, I could see a scenario in which is released as a full price one.

It could be a full priced game AND it could have MTX on top of that. But if they're jumping into the warzone/destiny/fortnite arena... F2P is the way to go. Price of entry is such a large barrier. And the franchise is at its most popular right now.

While it wasn't their idea, look at MLB The Show, which is more successful now than ever before because it is multiplatform. Needs to be on PC this year. The more player base you have the better on these games.

The GaaS initiative is to get more revenue, that revenue is then used to build the ecosystem.

I agree that there will be a PC store. I think that's sony's next big frontier.

I mean theres a reason halo and forza aren’t on playstation, despite the former struggling to retain a player count. Thats also assuming Microsoft at this point has been more open to having some of their games remain multiplatform like Minecraft.

They all have numbers and know they could generate more in-game money by having it across multiple platforms but theres other factors to consider. Like I mentioned earlier, Sony has the largest install base and they want people spending money on their store first and foremost and buying dual sense and dual sense edge controllers and PSVR2’s. Those things you give up when you spread yourself across platforms you don’t own.

Sony have said this gen, they want to expand their marketshare, you don’t do that by going fully multiplatform. It’s better to have those xbox players buy and play games on PS5 then on xbox at the end of the day.

Sony is all about branding, its why Destiny isn’ being highly associated with Playstation because its still on xbox. They want people to think Playstation when they think The Last of Us, or Gran Turismo, not “GAMING”

Last edited:
I mean theres a reason halo and forza aren’t on playstation, despite the former struggling to retain a player count. Thats also assuming Microsoft at this point has been more open to having some of their games remain multiplatform like Minecraft.

They all have numbers and know they could generate more in-game money by having it across multiple platforms but theres other factors to consider. Like I mentioned earlier, Sony has the largest install base and they want people spending money on their store first and foremost and buying dual sense and dual sense edge controllers and PSVR2’s. Those things you give up when you spread yourself across platforms you don’t own.

Sony have said this gen, they want to expand their marketshare, you don’t do that by going fully multiplatform. It’s better to have those xbox players buy and play games on PS5 then on xbox at the end of the day

I think you have to evaluate it on a game-by-game basis.

If I was Sony, I'd put all the PS4 hits on XSX/S at this point. They aren't selling the PS5 and you might as well get additional revenue.

There really isn't much of a difference between putting your games on Steam and putting them on Xbox at this point.

Would I put Spider-Man 2 on XSX? No. I'd put it on PC after a year or two, and I'd put it on XSX and subsequent console once the PS6 launches.

I was Sony, I'd put all the PS4 hits on XSX/S at this point. They aren't selling the PS5 and you might as well get additional revenue.

There really isn't much of a difference between putting your games on Steam and putting them on Xbox at this point.

I highly disagree, its about optics. For the small amount of revenue they would generate porting their games they would lose even more of their brand identity. Could you imagine the on-going talking points in gaming media if the majority of playstation games, the things that put sony studios and the ps4 on the map were on the competitors console while not even getting Bethesda games anymore?

Epic offered Sony 3-400 million dollars to get timed exclusive rights to 4 of their games on pc and Sony declined and sony own a stake in their company. Sony knows the value of their exclusive games and the prestige they bring to the platform. To dilute that for some quick cash returns would be unbelievably damaging to their brand

Brand awareness is a huge part of sonys business which is why they are doing the tv and movies and brand it Playstation Productions, or Playstation PC. They want people on Playstation

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
It could be a full priced game AND it could have MTX on top of that.
obvi.
But if they're jumping into the warzone/destiny/fortnite arena... F2P is the way to go. Price of entry is such a large barrier. And the franchise is at its most popular right now.
that is a good thing; is a filter.

but is going to be determined by the way ND is integrating the narrative into the game.

If they have a Great game (game-loop/mechanics)

and a sizable narrative content (quest, NPCs interaction, Cut scenes Etc...)

being the "End Game" the service model.
( narratively tied)

this game could establish a new Benchmark for GaaS.

Free to Play is a cheap way to have a lot of gamers/revitalize a stagnated community.

But also, this expectation is its major drawback. (in term of design, scope, and production values)

this is the game I am more curious about. because is not just going to be a testament for ND but Playstation itself regarding (quality, management and production)

Are they going to succeed where all other GaaS have failed or will they demonstrate a new approach to the entire industry?

for the record...the odds are against them.

I highly disagree, its about optics. For the small amount of revenue they would generate porting their games they would lose even more of their brand identity. Could you imagine the on-going talking points in gaming media if the majority of playstation games, the things that put sony studios and the ps4 on the map were on the competitors console while not even getting Bethesda games anymore?

Epic offered Sony 3-400 million dollars to get timed exclusive rights to 4 of their games on pc and Sony declined and sony own a stake in their company. Sony knows the value of their exclusive games and the prestige they bring to the platform. To dilute that for some quick cash returns would be unbelievably damaging to their brand

Brand awareness is a huge part of sonys business which is why they are doing the tv and movies and brand it Playstation Productions, or Playstation PC. They want people on Playstation

I think the revenue means a lot. That's revenue you can use to build more original IP and do more cross media, which I think drowns out any talking points from gaming media.

You put Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted on XSX and I think they all sell really well.

I believe it was 200 million for 4-6 titles and they'd be fully exclusive. I don't think that makes sense for Sony who will eventually want these games on their own store and just one title could fetch you 200 million if it sold well enough.

I think they're looking to expand what PlayStation means beyond just their console. They've really missed out on sales due to exclusivity. They're probably the top publisher in the world, but don't make nearly the most money. You look at the success of GTA and Red Dead and that probably eclipses all of Sony's revenue including their console sales.

obvi.

that is a good thing; is a filter.

but is going to be determined by the way ND is integrating the narrative into the game.

If they have a Great game (game-loop/mechanics)

and a sizable narrative content (quest, NPCs interaction, Cut scenes Etc...)

being the "End Game" the service model.
( narratively tied)

this game could establish a new Benchmark for GaaS.

Free to Play is a cheap way to have a lot of gamers/revitalize a stagnated community.

But also, this expectation is its major drawback. (in term of design, scope, and production values)

this is the game I am more curious about. because is not just going to be a testament for ND but Playstation itself regarding (quality, management and production)

Are they going to succeed where all other GaaS have failed or will they demonstrate a new approach to the entire industry?

for the record...the odds are against them.
Agree with everything you said.

think they're looking to expand what PlayStation means beyond just their console. They've really missed out on sales due to exclusivity. They're probably the top publisher in the world, but don't make nearly the most money. You look at the success of GTA and Red Dead and that probably eclipses all of Sony's revenue including their console sales.

Yeah, and they don’t need xbox and their miniscule install base to do that lol

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think when you look at Switch and Xbox together they are not miniscule.

I think the amount of money they'd get from Spider-Man alone on X1, XS, Switch, would be enough to fund Insomniac for 5 years...
and people would shift to other platform if spiderman goes multiplatform.

Sony wants the ecosystem, exclusive game sales like spiderman helps to achieve this strategy.

More player on Playstation, higher PS Plus subscription, more spending on first party/third party games on PS Store.

The statement you given above is probably true, however its just for short term...

Last edited:
and people would shift to other platform if spiderman goes multiplatform.

Sony wants the ecosystem, exclusive game sales like spiderman helps to achieve this strategy.

More player on Playstation, higher PS Plus subscription, more spending on first party/third party games on PS Store.

I don't think that's the case, especially with Spider-Man 2 only on PS5. When building an ecosystem, you want to reach as many people as possible. It's why Apple is so successful. They're every where. Phone, watch, headset, laptop, desktop, and everything works together.

I don't think exclusives, especially old games help keep your future units selling.

But don't think we're going to agree on this.

Rykan

Mixed feelings about this. TLOU games are good games and its nice that more people get to play and hopefully enjoy.

That said: I hate that this stupid cross media plan is working. A completely pointless remake to cash in on a TV show. The last thing I want is for games to be influenced by TV even more.

lh032

I don't think that's the case, especially with Spider-Man 2 only on PS5. When building an ecosystem, you want to reach as many people as possible. It's why Apple is so successful. They're every where. Phone, watch, headset, laptop, desktop, and everything works together.

I don't think exclusives, especially old games help keep your future units selling.

But don't think we're going to agree on this.
releasing the game multiplatform makes no sense for Sony to do so.

Why do i want to care about your ecosystem...when your game is available on my platform other than playstation?
Apple is apple, playstation is playstaition, not a really good comparison. Playstation sell games. Apple does way more than that....

I know you are going to disagree with me but this is Sony strategy currently, and it works.

Last edited:
releasing the game multiplatform makes no sense for Sony to do so.

Why do i want to care about your ecosystem...when your game is available on my platform other than playstation?
Apple is apple, playstation is playstaition, not a really good comparison. Playstation sell games. Apple does way more than that....

I know you are going to disagree with me but this is Sony strategy currently, and it works.

Why did apple put Apple TV+ and airplay on Samsung TVs and every other tv manufacturer for the most part?

lh032

Why did apple put Apple TV+ and airplay on Samsung TVs and every other tv manufacturer for the most part?
im not going to argue with you on this, the fact is that Sony is not going to change their strategy for the near future, whether you like it or not, agree or disagree.

Mixed feelings about this. TLOU games are good games and its nice that more people get to play and hopefully enjoy.

That said: I hate that this stupid cross media plan is working. A completely pointless remake to cash in on a TV show. The last thing I want is for games to be influenced by TV even more.
Think you have this backwards.

If anything tv is being influenced by video games here.

And you should be happy that more people are going to experience this game and in the best shape they could have experienced it in.

Rykan

Think you have this backwards.

If anything tv is being influenced by video games here.

And you should be happy that more people are going to experience this game and in the best shape they could have experienced it in.
???

They literally developed a remake just to coincide with the release of a TV show. That's video games being influenced by the tv show.

???

They literally developed a remake just to coincide with the release of a TV show. That's video games being influenced by the tv show.
The tv show is a near 1:1 replica of the video game.

They’re just looking to increase exposure. Which they’ve done in the past with other franchises like sotc which also already has a remaster.

The remake was not pointless because it's coming on PC.

Rykan

The tv show is a near 1:1 replica of the video game.

They’re just looking to increase exposure. Which they’ve done in the past with other franchises like sotc which also already has a remaster.
Yes, as is the nature of adaptations.
The point still stands: A remake was developed specifically to bank on the TV show.

The remake was not pointless because it's coming on PC.
They could have ported the remaster to the PC instead.

ZehDon

Neil Druckmann has commented that Naughty Dog's next game will be more "collaborative, like a TV show". I mention this, because HBO will want more TLOU given the success of the show so far - and Naughty Dog will need to provide it sooner rather than later. So, I'd bet TLOUIII is being written with the TV show in mind, and, given that TLOUII's co-writer was a TV writer prior, I'd also bet some of the creative decisions for TLOUII were done with a TV adaptation in mind. If you're happy with TLOUII, I'd say you're in for more of what you like, so I wouldn't worry.

kunonabi

Funny how effective this strategy can be and how oblivious to it some companies like Marvel and Capcom are to it.

Yes, as is the nature of adaptations.
The point still stands: A remake was developed specifically to bank on the TV show.

They could have ported the remaster to the PC instead.

And that would have been a lesser game... with the amount of time it takes to port it, wouldn't it make sense to use higher-resolution textures and character models instead? You make it sound like it is way more work to remake the game than port it and wouldn't it make sense to have a version that looks better on PS5 as well?

Funny how effective this strategy can be and how oblivious to it some companies like Marvel and Capcom are to it.
I mean didn't Marvel try this with Spider-Man the movie games? What do you mean exactly?

Capcom tried it just differently. They did this with Resident Evil, just not faithfully and they did it with Mega Man cartoons, as well as an unfaithful Street Fighter movie, and somewhat faithful street fighter animated movies and tv series.

Street Fighter doesn't lend itself to prestige tv the same way the last of us does.

Neil Druckmann has commented that Naughty Dog's next game will be more "collaborative, like a TV show". I mention this, because HBO will want more TLOU given the success of the show so far - and Naughty Dog will need to provide it sooner rather than later. So, I'd bet TLOUIII is being written with the TV show in mind, and, given that TLOUII's co-writer was a TV writer prior, I'd also bet some of the creative decisions for TLOUII were done with a TV adaptation in mind. If you're happy with TLOUII, I'd say you're in for more of what you like, so I wouldn't worry.
huh?

he means multiple writers like a tv show, nothing else.

kunonabi

I mean didn't Marvel try this with Spider-Man the movie games? What do you mean exactly?

Capcom tried it just differently. They did this with Resident Evil, just not faithfully and they did it with Mega Man cartoons, as well as an unfaithful Street Fighter movie, and somewhat faithful street fighter animated movies and tv series.

Street Fighter doesn't lend itself to prestige tv the same way the last of us does.
Marvel in terms of comics. At the height of the MCU's popularity they just replaced/switched all the heroes in the books for no good reason.

Capcom just lets people pump out shit that nobody really wants so they rarely get any benefit from it especially in the live-action sphere.

Rykan

And that would have been a lesser game... with the amount of time it takes to port it, wouldn't it make sense to use higher-resolution textures and character models instead? You make it sound like it is way more work to remake the game than port it and wouldn't it make sense to have a version that looks better on PS5 as well?
I agree that the remake is a better version than the remastered version, but not so much that it justified the remake. The Last of us Remastered is still a very nice looking game, and it holds up pretty well in comparison.

It takes much more effort to develop an entire remake than it does to port the remastered version to PC. This Remake was developed instead of another hypothetical project that could have been a new game , or a remake of a game that would benefit a lot more from being remade. I would have preferred either of those and from what I've seen, the common consesus about TLOU remake is that it looks very nice but who asked for this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom