• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II and Part I sales are climbing the charts

GooseMan69

The Walking Dead flaming out and jumping the shark years ago probably helped here. People have been fiending for a high quality post apocalyptic/zombie(ish) show, and TLOU definitely scratches that itch. Honestly, that’s how I described it the non gamers in my life. A way better version of TWD.

Combine that with a huge following of the source material, and it’s a perfect storm of success for HBO.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Because it's still an anomaly to have a critically successful screen adaption of a video game in the industry regardless of who's working on it.

Is it really considering how Halo and the Witcher shows have done? Plus all the recent success with animated? (Caslevania, Cyberpunk)

Topher

Gold Member
Are we going to get a thread per episode now?

Enjoyed the second episode, but a new thread really?

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF

GooseMan69

God of war was coming from a franchise with less than 5 million in sales average per game. It sold far far more than previous.

Part 2 coming from a game that sold 20 mill plus and sold significantly less.

Ragnarok for example don’t be surprised if it sells 30 mill plus

Part 2 obviously made a huge profit but also obviously tracks notably below expectations. Those two facts aren’t mutually exclusive its defense force should realize that.

TLOU 1 took 5+ years and a remaster to reach 20 mil. Part 2 will almost certainly surpass 20 million as well within the next couple of years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What was HBOs role in this? Did they fund it all and have their studios make it with Sony just being involved creatively and IP wise?
This is a Sony Pictures show under the Playstation Studios name. Their first show/movie. The approached Craig Mazin after Chernobyl for a film and having beaten the game like 10 times he said it would work better a tv show. Neil and him then pitched to HBO who greenlit it. Without Mazin, i doubt HBO picks this up.

Typically with these Sony Pictures shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Netflix's The Crown, the streamer provides most of the funds, while the studios provide the worker bees. That said, HBO is different and way more involved in these productions than Netflix is so i wouldnt be surprised if they had their own crew helping out to ensure it meets their high standards. Sony Pictures does have experience co-developing extremely expensive TV with the Crown costing almost $200 million per season so this aint their first rodeo.

The CG for Boston in this episode was phenomenal. The sets looked very real and the CG only enhanced them. I dont know who gets the credit for it, but man Sony, Playstation and HBO put together a very talented group of people for this show. This gives me hope for Horizon and GOW even though they are at Amazon and Netflix. The Crown is excellent and Sony is producing the Boys for Amazon. If they get a decent budget like TLOU, they might actually be good.

Last edited:
TLOU 1 took 5+ years and a remaster to reach 20 mil. Part 2 will almost certainly surpass 20 million as well within the next couple of years.

The show combined with the PC release and inevitable remaster will push part 2 well past 20 million by the end of next year.

TLOU has a franchise will probably be 60m sold by then, i wouldn’t be surprised if its more profitable than god of war and spider-man

Last edited:
HBO greenlit the pitch from Maizin and Druckmann. HBO obviously funded it, at least partially. Sony Pictures are also involved. Probably finacially. PlayStation Productions are basically the IP handler. They handle and license the IP out.

Carolyn Strauss, who was an executive producer on Game of Thrones and Chernobyl, is an EP on the show. The other EPs are Druckmann and Maizin (showrunners), Asad Quizilbash and Carter Swan (PlayStation), Evan Wells (Naughty Dog), and Rose Lam (some TV producer). So chances are all parties are involved with providing creative notes and resources.

And there are no "HBO studios". No HBO internal crew or whatever. They just hire a crew to make the show, and then disband. Farm work out to various effects companies, etc.

That's not entirely true.

The Mighty Mint is a production company that helped put this together. They don't just disband. Word Game also produced. That isn't to say there isn't any gig work here, but what you largely see is a lot of quality talent being brought together to produce and make the show. Many of the crew and production companies have worked with HBO before.

Chiggs

PS5 Remaster is the ONLY way to play The Last of Us Part 1.

I know the price tag pissed people off, but what an experience. I can only imagine playing it without having played either the PS3 or PS4 version.

Topher

Gold Member
This is a Sony Pictures show under the Playstation Studios name. Their first show/movie. The approached Craig Mazin after Chernobyl for a film and having beaten the game like 10 times he said it would work better a tv show. Neil and him then pitched to HBO who greenlit it. Without Mazin, i doubt HBO picks this up.

Typically with these Sony Pictures shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Netflix's The Crown, the streamer provides most of the funds, while the studios provide the worker bees. That said, HBO is different and way more involved in these productions than Netflix is so i wouldnt be surprised if they had their own crew helping out to ensure it meets their high standards. Sony Pictures does have experience co-developing extremely expensive TV with the Crown costing almost $200 million per season so this aint their first rodeo.

The CG for Boston in this episode was phenomenal. The sets looked very real and the CG only enhanced them. I dont know who gets the credit for it, but man Sony, Playstation and HBO put together a very talented group of people for this show. This gives me hope for Horizon and GOW even though they are at Amazon and Netflix. The Crown is excellent and Sony is producing the Boys for Amazon. If they get a decent budget like TLOU, they might actually be good.

I'd expect that, along with funding, being on HBO opens door to acting, directorial and production talent that wouldn't have been available on other outlets such as Netflix.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
As expected, a good chunk of the TV show's audience who never played the games must be PS4 owners.

Thanks for the explanation of the mechanics, I'm not well versed in the TV/Streaming industry dynamics.

So Sony does all the CG and post-production work and HBO just funds most of it and provides a bit of help in the shooting/planning? I wonder what the profit split is for this, or even how HBO really makes money because I assume most of their audience is already locked in to HBO max or Cable. Do they judge success based on new subscribers or something which is somewhat related to peak viewers?

Either way I assume both parties are thrilled with the results of this blowing up like crazy probably far exceeding their expectations, I'm just curious if the profit for Sony on this is much more than what they would make on a movie.

And you're right - the set pieces/clickers/ everything is so truly authentic to the artistic vision of the game. It's absolutely beautiful to watch.

Chiggs

You rang?

DNEG (VFX Supervisor: Stephen James)
Weta FX
Distillery VFX
Zero VFX
Important Looking Pirates
beloFX
Storm Studios
Wylie Co.
RVX
Assembly
Crafty Apes
RISE
Framestore
Digital Domain
MAS

Argos UK have a cool thing where they actually tell you how many have been ordered in the Last 48 hours.

The Last of US Part 2: 45
The Last of US Remastered: 27
The Last of US Part 1: 61

And for Reference
God of War Ragnarok PS4: 18
God of War Ragnarok PS5: 12
Hogwarts Legacy PS4: 5
Hogwarts Legacy PS5: 45

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/video-games-and-consoles/ps4/ps4-games/c:30037/

Obviously this is just one shop in the UK but interesting to see it's pretty much the best selling series at the moment.

Last edited:
Argos UK have a cool thing where they actually tell you how many have been ordered in the Last 48 hours.

And for Reference

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/video-games-and-consoles/ps4/ps4-games/c:30037/

Obviously this is just one shop in the UK but interesting to see it's pretty much the best selling series at the moment.
"Dead IP" they said. "TLOU2 destroyed the franchise" they said.

onQ123

And for Reference

Outselling Hogwarts at the moment is crazy ( I know it's one store but still)

Thanks for the explanation of the mechanics, I'm not well versed in the TV/Streaming industry dynamics.

So Sony does all the CG and post-production work and HBO just funds most of it and provides a bit of help in the shooting/planning? I wonder what the profit split is for this, or even how HBO really makes money because I assume most of their audience is already locked in to HBO max or Cable. Do they judge success based on new subscribers or something which is somewhat related to peak viewers?

Either way I assume both parties are thrilled with the results of this blowing up like crazy probably far exceeding their expectations, I'm just curious if the profit for Sony on this is much more than what they would make on a movie.

And you're right - the set pieces/clickers/ everything is so truly authentic to the artistic vision of the game. It's absolutely beautiful to watch.

It's actually unclear how profitable this would be for Sony because we aren't privy to the deal and the profit sharing and this being HBO the money isn't actually made based on views. The money is made based on subscriptions, specifically sustained subscriptions and new subscribers, but also as you mentioned cable bundles.

That's what happens when you aren't doing it based on ad revenue.

Then there is also merchandising, dvd,bluray, 4k bluray releases.

And depending on how the distribution deal is, the potential that this show ends up on another network and you also have the ability to sell episodes individually in the future on amazon, apple tv, vudu e.t.c. My guess is that HBO has exclusive rights here but we have no idea whether there is a profit-sharing based of viewership, but you have to assume that if there is no deal for profit sharing or bonuses based on success here, that Season 2 could be very expensive for HBO if there isn't a deal in place to produce it already.

There are a few different revenue models for TV, but it'll be interesting to see if Sony had more confidence in TLOU and got themselves a more favorable deal by putting more of their own money up front.

Ultimately, to answer your question, no I don't think they're making as much as if they were to make a movie, but that's largely because HBO is an external partner, whereas if it were a movie Sony would be involved end to end, IP license, production, distribution, but Sony also knows here that TLOU is not Game of Thrones. You don't have this going for 8 seasons plus another 5 for like House of the Dragon. They might try to expand on TLOU over the next 5-10 years to keep the show going and that's when you start making a serious profit, but short of that movies are riskier, but more likely to pay off in shorter windows. That's why they first wanted to make it a movie instead of a tv show.

Kvally

Banned
I never finished TLOU2. Didn't get very far at all actually because I got sidetracked with other games. But I have started up the game again. Sadly, it didn't bring over PS4 save, so I have to start over. No biggie though. Good timing as I finished TLOU Part 1 Remake a couple months ago, so everything is fresh.

Outselling Hogwarts at the moment is crazy ( I know it's one store but still)

I wouldn't look too much into a game that is out, outselling a game that isn't. Yes, pre-orders for Hogwarts are up, but there really hasn't been a major release since November.

As expected, a good chunk of the TV show's audience who never played the games must be PS4 owners.

I mean, that math makes sense. PS4 is the best-selling pure console of the generation, but a big chunk of the tv audience is also non-gamers, pc gamers, and xbox gamers as well. Ultimately, though even when you look at the PS4, 120 million units sold (less repeat buyers) and only 10 million bought the last of us remastered and only 10 million bought tloup2.

That means there is a tremendous opportunity to sell to additional players, but what hurts sony right now is that they're caught in between PS4 and PS5 and the PC version doesn't release until March. I don't think they have much to worry about given the overall review scores of the season, but this combined with TLOU Online, this should be a really good year for the IP.

They're probably going to end up leaving meat on the bone though.

I get horny thinking about a TLOU 3 with the biggest budget ever outside of GTA 6

TLOUP3 will never get anywhere close to being the biggest budget game outside of GTA6.

The ceiling on the franchise is too low for that expenditure. Even with the show being a success, let's say it DOUBLED the popularity of TLOU. That still only brings it to about the popularity of God of War 2018 or Spider-Man. And I don't see it doubling the popularity (sales of the game).

Is it really considering how Halo and the Witcher shows have done? Plus all the recent success with animated? (Caslevania, Cyberpunk)

The Witcher to my understanding isn't based off the game, but the books. Castlevania did well, but there was no cross-media, I'd call it a loose adaptation of the characters rather than the story in the game. Really the game is based on Castlevania 3. Cyberpunk is a loose adaptation as well, but at least had cross media.

I think TLOU has been the only successful direct adaptation of a video game with cross media.

EDMIX

Walking Dead followed the comics at a good 80% of the time, sure they added things here and there but it wasn’t like Uncharted or Dragon Ball where they think they know better and do something completely different.

yet more people watched the show then read the comics....thus following the comic wasn't some massive thing most cared about as most didn't read it compared to watching the show...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Honestly i dont know how HBO shares its profits. Netflix pays up front. They paid half a billion for Seinfeld and Friends rights. They paid almost $400 to Rian Johnson to make the Knives Out movies. Im guessing Rian got a big check considering the movies are very cheap to make. First one cost only $40 million. Assuming the next two cost around $120 million, Rian has made almost $300 million all by himself. Amazon also gave the Westworld duo $250 million to make a new show. Shows dont cost that much to make so they probably pocketed $100-150 million. Sony might have done the same with HBO. Gotten paid up front with some backend royalties on how well it does in terms of views.

But...the remake was not needed?

Why is the 80€ remake outselling the PS4 remaster that's on sale for 20€?

Could GAF be wrong about yet another thing?

Now seriously...i bet sales will keep increasing as the TV show goes on. It's only ending in mid-march so great sales until then! It's also one of the best looking games on PS5 ever.

PC version out soon also, plus im sure it will get more sales once they start marketing Factions

BaneIsPain

I am hesitant to buy Part I as I have beat PS3 and the remastered. Anyway, thanks to the last episode, I bought Part 1. Feels good

Top Bottom