• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II was the best selling game on PS Store during Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

It's my fault I ordered 50 000 copies by mistake.
This you?

RnHbQJp.jpg

rofif

Banned
I finished TLOU Part 2 last night. It was a 10/10 until the ending, which promptly went off a cliff and exploded in mid air.

I wrote a better ending in five minutes while laying in bed.
I never say this but it seems you didn’t understand the plot.
You might here won the game but you lost the game they played with your feelings

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fantastic gameplay, but man was that story so depressing. Probably the most depressing game I’ve ever played.

They succeeded in what they set out to do.
Couldn’t agree more. Fantastic world building and mechanics. The story was flat out ridiculous at times I thought.
The whole “revenge is bad” even though you then left a family and went back for revenge, lost two fingers and didn’t finish the job “story” was really crap in my opinion
still a great game though.

The whole “revenge is bad” even though you then left a family and went back for revenge, lost two fingers and didn’t finish the job “story” was really crap in my opinion

In the end I certainly didn't feel it either. that felt a bit in your face, or it just didn't seem to make sense given how the story went... Like I saw how things went, I think that in some way it could resonate with some people, but I could not bring myself to feel either way about it.

I also love the game overall.

MiguelItUp

Their sale felt incredibly lack luster to me, I mean, you could find physical versions of some of the same games for significantly cheaper.

I mean, Returnal was $30 at Walmart.

tommib

Their sale felt incredibly lack luster to me, I mean, you could find physical versions of some of the same games for significantly cheaper.

I mean, Returnal was $30 at Walmart.
Wish I could dig out my posts of when Returnal came out where I was replying to people saying that Returnal would be at half-price after a month in the PS store. Let me repeat to everyone at the back: Sony is keeping prices at a premium this generation! a.k.a pulling a Nintendo.

Amazing game, 10 out of 10. I think that if people don't like the ending it's because they didn't care for the message the game was trying to tell. Loved playing with Abby more than Ellie, but that's just me. Waiting for Part 3, but I have a feeling it won't come anytime soon.

Fbh

Thats counting every game in the store, not only exclusives

For a game more than 1 year old, thats pretty good
Oh didn't realize that. That's pretty cool in that context then.
I guess it's unit based and not money based though....unless that $7 Anime brawler sold a TON if it's at number 4

The Ghost of Tsushima for $50 came with the Iki Island expansion in the Director’s Cut, it wasn’t $50 for the base game only.

Unless there's something wrong with my store or they really hid it somewhere hard to find, the standard edition of Tsushima seems to have been delisted from the store. So regardless of what extra content it came with the $50 version is the only way to digitally buy the game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm not really surprised.

People getting triggered over this need to learn their damn lesson regarding this fucking shit, not liking the game does not magically mean it's going to stop selling simply because you're fucking triggered lol

What's even more strange is some of the same people didn't learn their lesson with Far Cry 5 or Battlefront 2015 or Mafia 3 etc, how many games need to come out where somebody gets triggered over it and starts crying excessively only for it to smash a bunch of records?

Making it sound like them being upset must magically mean no one's going to buy the game, imagine being wrong so many damn times yet still falling for the same crap. There's lots of properties I don't play anymore or games I don't like what I don't do is waste all this energy trying to pretend as if no one's buying the game because of my personal dislike.... I no longer Play the Call of Duty series anymore but I don't try to find every fucking metric to pretend no one else is playing it didn't we just go over this crap with one of those Call of Duty's that got lots of downvotes on YouTube and people were making it sound like they could swear on a stack of Bibles that the Call of Duty WILL fail because of this magical metric? Vanguard dropped in boxed sales in the UK after a few weeks and some on here made it sound like it must be this sign of something only to then stfu when they find that 90% was digital on XB, they also didn't know it was quite normal for a Call Of Duty to drop in sales from those charts after a few weeks or go up and down etc

So I don't see much around The Last Of Us 2 in terms of real fucking data that points to it not moving massive units, it just sounds like folks WANT that to be the case, yet provide little data to really support it that even matters.

They hate it so much it's the fastest selling PlayStation game in history?

They hate it so much it's the most awarded PlayStation game in history by fans?

They hate it so much that for the second time it's the best selling game for Black Friday on PlayStation Network?

Stop folks......

pepe.jpg

kyliethicc

I doubt Sony will keep their PS5 games at $70 permanently.

For example, Demon's Souls and Returnal will probably both get a price cut to $50 when they are ported to PC. (No idea when that will be though.)

Sony seems set on using the $50 price point for their PC ports.

CitizenZ

Banned
A simple quote to a friend after FINALLY playing TLOU on PS4, "How do you play anything after that?" Zero.Zero interest in the sequel, never wanted it, never needed.

DeepSpace5D

Oh didn't realize that. That's pretty cool in that context then.
I guess it's unit based and not money based though....unless that $7 Anime brawler sold a TON if it's at number 4

Unless there's something wrong with my store or they really hid it somewhere hard to find, the standard edition of Tsushima seems to have been delisted from the store. So regardless of what extra content it came with the $50 version is the only way to digitally buy the game.
You’re right, I don’t see the base game for sale on the store either. I assume the Director’s Cut is the version they sell now.

Nevertheless, the Director’s Cut still has added value with the expansion included. I believe if you have the standard game, it’s $20 to upgrade to the Director’s Cut.

Yup. Sony are doomed

5mI4Bkh.gif
I mean, that user is not exactly wrong. Playstation doesn't have a Mario or a Master Chief, characters that you look at them and know exactly the brand they're attached to. Some people also grew up with them. But I think that Playstation doesn't need that. Playstation itself, as a brand, it's strong enough - the iconic logo, the shapes.

kyliethicc

Playstation doesn't have a Mario or a Master Chief, characters that you look at them and know exactly the brand they're attached to. Some people also grew up with them.
Yes they do. Everyone knows who Kratos and Nathan Drake are and that they're PlayStation characters. But sure they have cycled out various characters over the years (Crash, Snake, Cloud, etc).

But I think that Playstation doesn't need that. Playstation itself, as a brand, it's strong enough - the iconic logo, the shapes.
A perk of being a brand untethered to a single lifelong mascot is they can move on and make new IP more freely.

Yes they do. Everyone knows who Kratos and Nathan Drake are and that they're PlayStation characters. But sure they have cycled out various characters over the years (Crash, Snake, Cloud, etc).

A perk of being a brand untethered to a single lifelong mascot is they can move on and make new IP more freely.
Well, Kratos, despite being a famous mascot for Playstation, it's not exactly the face of Playstation. Not as Mario or Master Chief are.

And I agree with the second part. That's why PS always tries to explore new IPs, which is good.

onQ123

I mean, that user is not exactly wrong. Playstation doesn't have a Mario or a Master Chief, characters that you look at them and know exactly the brand they're attached to. Some people also grew up with them. But I think that Playstation doesn't need that. Playstation itself, as a brand, it's strong enough - the iconic logo, the shapes.
26RHUp2.png

Well, Kratos, despite being a famous mascot for Playstation, it's not exactly the face of Playstation. Not as Mario or Master Chief are.

And I agree with the second part. That's why PS always tries to explore new IPs, which is good.
Aloy, kratos and astrobot are the faces of playstation as far as marketing goes. Nathan and ratchet are secondary

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay of The Last of Us, but I always felt like I was missing something in the story. I was never as attached to certain characters as some people seem to be but it still takes me by surprise how many were "depressed" it never seemed that heavy to me.

Well, it was the last major 1st party PS4 release (and PS5s are hard to come by), AND it was at one of its lowest price points. It makes sense.

kyliethicc

Yeah but they just sold like 30 million games in the last few years he is the face of PlayStation right now
He is definitely the system seller character for PlayStation right now.

But people don't think of Spider-man No Way Home as a PlayStation movie. Its a Marvel movie. Where as if there was a Mario/Uncharted/Halo movie in theaters, people would think of them as a Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox movie. Spidey is Marvel, and thus detached from the PS brand.

kyliethicc

Well, it was the last major 1st party PS4 release (and PS5s are hard to come by), AND it was at one of its lowest price points. It makes sense.
Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-man Miles Morales were both major 1st party releases after TLOU2 released. All 3 games are on PS4, from 2020, and are critical and commercial hits.

onQ123

He is definitely the system seller character for PlayStation right now.

But people don't think of Spider-man No Way Home as a PlayStation movie. Its a Marvel movie. Where as if there was a Mario/Uncharted/Halo movie in theaters, people would think of them as a Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox movie. Spidey is Marvel, and thus detached from the PS brand.
Spiderman is forever attached to PlayStation now
ptgxcDm.jpg

Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-man Miles Morales were both major 1st party releases after TLOU2 released. All 3 games are on PS4, from 2020, and are critical and commercial hits.
Forgot about both, thanks. I can definitely see Tsushima getting more attention this holiday season, but Miles Morales quickly got a reputation as a 6-hour expansion, so I wonder how much competition it would have put up.

kyliethicc

Spiderman is forever attached to PlayStation now
ptgxcDm.jpg
lol ironic how that was when Spidey games were multiplat.

Forgot about both, thanks. I can definitely see Tsushima getting more attention this holiday season, but Miles Morales quickly got a reputation as a 6-hour expansion, so I wonder how much competition it would have put up.
lol

Miles Morales has outsold both TLOU2 and Ghost by now. Its consistently charting on PS5 every month. Both physical and digital. Its reputation is of quality fun.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wish I could dig out my posts of when Returnal came out where I was replying to people saying that Returnal would be at half-price after a month in the PS store. Let me repeat to everyone at the back: Sony is keeping prices at a premium this generation! a.k.a pulling a Nintendo.
Nah, I don't think that's the case at all. I just think it's fair to expect all console's designated digital platform will never have the lowest prices.

I mean, physical versions of all the digital versions of the games are cheaper at various retailers. I mean, God Of War for $20? I feel like there's multiple times a year where you can get it (and other greatest hits titles) for $10-$15. I was just surprised to see LOU2 being the best selling game when I've seen it for $20 for awhile. I guess that's just pro digital folks. 🤷‍♂️

People associate Spider man with Marvel, not Sony.
Aloy, kratos and astrobot are the faces of playstation as far as marketing goes. Nathan and ratchet are secondary

Yeah, and they should. They have franchises that are loved by millions but Sony never put them as the face of the brand. Nintendo has Mario everywhere, Xbox has Master Chief on their Series X box. Playstation rarely does this.

lol ironic how that was when Spidey games were multiplat.

lol

Miles Morales has outsold both TLOU2 and Ghost by now. Its consistently charting on PS5 every month. Both physical and digital. Its reputation is of quality fun.
Yeah, I'm gonna need to see a reliable source confirming your guesswork, there. Miles Morales took about 6 months to sell 6 million copies, whereas Last of Us 2 sold 4 million copies in its release weekend. Maybe you're right, but I suspect you liking the game doesn't mean it sold what you wanted it to.

kyliethicc

Yeah, I'm gonna need to see a reliable source confirming your guesswork, there. Miles Morales took about 6 months to sell 6 million copies, whereas Last of Us 2 sold 4 million copies in its release weekend. Maybe you're right, but I suspect you liking the game doesn't mean it sold what you wanted it to.
I didn't want it to sell anything.

If you want to see the data, go look at the charts from the last year.

Shifty1897

I never say this but it seems you didn’t understand the plot.
You might here won the game but you lost the game they played with your feelings

I'm sure the game wants you to think the moral of the story is that
revenge is cyclical and it's better to let your transgressions go.

The actual moral of the story is
don't leave any witnesses or it will bite you in the ass later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom