• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Pt II |OT| Oh Ellie...I think they should be terrified of you

MikeM

I think this is the only game where in the end, the people I killed became more than just cannon fodder. I realized that each person had a life and wasn't just another object to put bullets in. The game did a great job of putting perspective into the necessary killing. The technical quality of this game tho... ooof. I can't think of anything that comes close. I'm thoroughly excited for whatever comes next as a PS5 native game.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I think this is the only game where in the end, the people I killed became more than just cannon fodder. I realized that each person had a life and wasn't just another object to put bullets in. The game did a great job of putting perspective into the necessary killing. The technical quality of this game tho... ooof. I can't think of anything that comes close. I'm thoroughly excited for whatever comes next as a PS5 native game.
My reaction was very different. Couldn't care less about some people from Abby's camp dying or having their lives endangered and especially Isaac was a very weak and ultimately forgettable leader.

Aggelos

A couple of details that Naughty Dog missed, or didn't have the time nor resources to implement into the actual game.

Edit

Last edited:

Lucky8BB

Banned
Sorry for the bump but damn this shit is so satisfying to play @ 60fps on PS5.
60fps always makes a huge difference during aiming.

Guys do you think we will get PS5 remaster someday if they already patched PS4 version? 60fps is nice for sure, but higher texture quality and improved lighting should be possible on PS5 as well.

makaveli60

60fps always makes a huge difference during aiming.

Guys do you think we will get PS5 remaster someday if they already patched PS4 version? 60fps is nice for sure, but higher texture quality and improved lighting should be possible on PS5 as well.
I really hope so. It already looks like a nextgen game. Imagine a ps5 version where things are turned to the max…

Aggelos

Guess there are only two possible scenarios: either they're working on something important for PS5, or they're not (hence the silence from Naughty Dog).
Sure thing, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima are getting their nice PS5 upgrades and people might think it's rational for TLOU2 Remastered to happen, but who can tell for sure?

Aggelos

CVh32kd.jpg

Last edited:

DelireMan7

So let me dig up this OT.

I am finally playing Part 2. I replayed the first game just before and it's still as good as the first time even so the "extremely scripted events game" isn't my favorite type, this game atmosphere, characters and story really got me.

I am not done yet with Part 2 (currently on Day 2 with Abby). Before starting I spoiled myself about Joel's death and that Abby is the surgeon's daughter.

The first hour of the game was a bit long (same for the first game for me) then there was the first stealth section in the supermarket and I loved it. But then quickly it went back to more walking/climbing and it bored me a bit.

Then the "real game" started it was ok. The strong point of the Last of Us was the Ellie/Joel duo and their relation. But here without that it felt quite flat. I can't get into Ellie's relation with Dina, and I don't bother much about side characters like Jessy.

Gameplay is a real improvement. However I started in Survivor and quickly I got really frustrated against human enemies (and these fucking dogs). People always complained about AI in games, I was always on the side of "if AI becomes too good (and if games go for too much realism), games will not be as fun" and somehow Last of Us 2 is an example of that. Humans can spot you very easily and don't run at you dumbly, in addition their dogs scent you and forced you to move quickly without much thinking.
Long story short : I got really frustrated when infiltrating the Hospital with Ellie, and finally downgraded the difficulty to Hard and I have a much better experience.

Story wise, I love the flashbacks with Ellie and Joel. (Even so the first one in the museum was just a long interactive cutscene that should have been a real cutscenes, I don't like walking and pressing "inspect" button constantly). Seeing how they relation evolved after the first game feels really good.

I am not into the actual story. Nothing crazy so far.
I am actually really happy with the Abby's side to play. It's nice to see her perspective and makes her human (and not just the "evil bad guy"). So I am now looking forward to where this is going.
The Scars cult confused me a bit. Maybe it will leads to something but so far I have the feeling they are just there to add more enemies.

So overall a good game but quite below its predecessor. The main flaw is its length for me. It accented the flaw (for me) the first game had : extremely scripted ("on rail"). But it was a real well focused experienced : quick gameplay section, quick walking/traversal section and the story was advancing quickly.
Now in part 2, they added 10 more hours, bigger areas and optional building to explore... which for me just drag the game and don't add much to it.

Glad to finally play it and looking forward where the story will end but the original is above it for me.

DelireMan7

And I have beaten it.

I enjoyed the story with 2 perspectives. Abby's part was the best in my opinion. Nothing interesting in the first part with Ellie.

Interesting ending but I don't like how Ellie got the "bad" role and loose everything.

Gameplay wise it's okay. Quite some option on stealth etc...
Like on the first game, many upgrades are pointless in my opinion.
Outside of increased damage for weapons (and maybe reload speed) and more HP, better healing kit, I find all the rest almost a waste of resources (especially when they made it "a competence tree" which oblige you to make some upgrade you don't want to get the one you want).

It doesn't reach the level of the first game but it remains a good game. But I don't think it deserves all the praise (and hate) it received.

Top Bottom